Feb 03

Valentine’s Day Fudge

Valentine’s Day Fudge: guaranteed to make someone smile!

Valentine's Day Fudge | crazyforcrust.com | An easy to make layered fudge topped with conversation heart candies!

Sometimes I really wish I was a man. (Well, besides during childbirth. That’s a given.) I envy men their ease of so many things in life. Like, say, party going.

When a man goes to a party at the home of someone he doesn’t know that well, this is how he preps:

Shower. Pull t-shirt out of drawer. Decide on jeans vs. shorts. Finger-brush hair. Check teeth. Ready!

This is how I get prepared for the same situation:

Mentally make notes of small talk topics.

Go over and over and over in head what to bring for dessert.

Find out kind of wine they like. Spend 30 minutes at store staring at bottles.

Dream of different scenarios (will they like me? will they think I’m boring? will I get food in my teeth?) all night long.

Spend 30 minutes blowing out hair.

Put on full make-up.

Spend 30 minutes perusing clothing options. Will it be casual? Dressy casual? What’s safe? Get dressed.

Notice hole in shirt. Spend 30 minutes figuring out how to thread a needle.

Flat iron hair that gets fluffy after blow out.

Make sure everyone wears socks without holes, in case it’s a “no shoes” house.

Try not to have an anxiety attack.

Ready!

See the difference? Men have it so easy! It’s not fair.

Men also don’t have to think up cute Valentine treats to give to kids, take to school, make for potlucks, and to post on the internet.

Er, I guess that last one is my fault (job description).

This fudge is one of the easier decisions you’ll make this Valentine’s Day: it’s easy, cute, and everyone will love it.

Even the people you don’t know at that party.

I made a layered fudge like this at Halloween, and y’all loved it, so I wanted to do it again for Valentine’s Day. Even though it’s layered and that does involve an extra couple of steps and an extra dish to wash, it’s still super easy. And, well, it’s fudge. With a cute conversation heart on top. And it’s part pink. Everyone will love it!

That Halloween fudge was made using Halloween colored Nestle morsels, but I didn’t see any of those for Valentine’s Day. No matter; that’s what food coloring is for.

The bottom layer is made of semi-sweet (or you can use milk) chocolate chips and fat-free sweetened condensed milk. You use half the can of SCM for each layer, which is about 5 ounces. The can says 14 ounces, but when you measure it out…it’s not. It’s just over 1/2 cup per layer.

Once the chocolate layer is in the pan, you chill it about 30 minutes, so the pink layer won’t mix with it. The pink layer is the rest of the SCM mixed with white chocolate chips. At the end, when you add the vanilla extract, you add a few drops of red food coloring to give it the pink hue.

{Or you could do what my friend Ashton did and use pink candy melts.}

Once you pour the pink layer on top the chocolate, you quickly place the conversation hearts in even rows on the top. Once it’s set you cut it into squares. My pink fudge layer was a little softer than normal, but it still set up. If you’re worried, just store it in the refrigerator (but mine has been on my counter for 4 days and is just fine).

Tip: I used vanilla extract in my fudge, but you could totally add a little cherry or strawberry extract instead, to give the pink a flavor!

This fudge is the perfect gift to give this Valentine’s Day! It’s so cute you’ll get a smile from your sweetheart, I promise.

And you can even take it to a party. Everyone will love it, so you can cross that worry off your list. :)

Valentine’s Day Fudge

Yield: 36 pieces

• 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
  • 2 pinches salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
  • Red food coloring
  • 36 conversation heart candies

1. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Place chocolate chips and half the can of sweetened condensed milk (just over 1/2 cup) in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture melts together and becomes smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and one pinch of salt. Quickly pour and spread in prepared pan. Chill for 30 minutes.
  3. When chilling is up, remove pan from refrigerator. Add white chocolate chips and remaining sweetened condensed milk to a clean medium saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture melts together and becomes smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, one pinch of salt, and red food coloring (about 3-4 drops for a light pink). Quickly pour over chocolate layer and spread. Immediately top with conversation hearts in a 6 x 6 grid. Let cool to room temperature and then chill until set.
  4. Slice into squares (1 conversation heart per square) and serve.
  5. Note: depending on how equally you divide your SCM, one layer may be softer than the other. You may need to store this in the refrigerator.

Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge

Lemon Pie Fudge

Salted Butterscotch Fudge

Salted-Butterscotch-Fudge (1 of 4)w

Amaretto Fudge

amaretto fudge 1 words

Strawberry 3 Musketeers Fudge by Inside BruCrew Life
Easy Reese’s PB Fudge by Mom on Timeout
Chocolate Covered Cherry Fudge by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

56 Responses to “Valentine’s Day Fudge”

1. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on February 3, 2014 at 5:04 am (#)

Totally agree with you on wishing I was a man sometimes! I’ll be like “babe, we have to leave for the party in 10 mins!” And he is all I know, gets in the shower and is ready before we have to head out. HOW?!
    This fudge is so pretty Dorothy! I may have to give to myself on Valentines ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:30 pm

It’s just not fair!! :)

2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on February 3, 2014 at 5:23 am (#)

This fudge is cute as all get out!! and those men do have it easy sometimes lol, although my cousin’s husband is a SAHD and he does all the cooking/baking and prob. does have to come up with the creative treats for holidays :P

3. marcie posted on February 3, 2014 at 6:37 am (#)

This fudge is so pretty — I love the colors! :)

4. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on February 3, 2014 at 6:51 am (#)

Ugh men do have it easier- esp with getting ready to go out. It’s just not fair- why can’t I shower and be ready in 10 minutes? This fudge is adorable! I love the conversation hearts on top.

5. Kathy posted on February 3, 2014 at 7:54 am (#)

How cute! I’ve been trying to think of some things to make for valentine’s day. These are perfect!

6. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:20 am (#)

This is so fun, Dorothy! Love how easy it is. Food coloring for the win. And guys don’t realize how easy they have it! Ugh.

7. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:33 am (#)

What a fun idea for a Valentine’s Day fudge! Love it!

8. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:44 am (#)

Cute fudge! And…you can buy a custom bag of Necco candy with your own message! Tweet #tweethearts with your message and they will send you a link with a price and photo of what it will look like. No, I’m not being paid, LOL!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I need to do that!

9. Millie posted on February 3, 2014 at 9:44 am (#)

Ooooh these looks so pretty! I might try making them with vegan condensed milk :) I guess they’d have to be kept in the fridge when not being eaten? x

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hm, I’m not sure about the refrigeration with the vegan milk. I’ve never used it. Let me know how it turns out!

10. Laura @ Laura's Baking Talent posted on February 3, 2014 at 9:46 am (#)

That is so me getting ready for a party… minus the threading the needle at that point i’m relooping to a new shirt. This fudge looks delicious. I love conversation hearts :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I almost did, but it took me so long to just pick that one out! :)

11. Better With Sugar posted on February 3, 2014 at 9:54 am (#)

What a cute idea, love it!

13. Mary Frances posted on February 3, 2014 at 11:35 am (#)

Haha, you nailed it! It takes me forever to pick out a simple outfit. And don’t get me started on hair. Blow dry? Yes. Whoops, too much. Bring on the flat iron. Whoops, too flat. Bring out the ponytail holders and bobby pins *I could’ve done this style without the dryer and iron* *faceplant*
    That is why I need this fudge! So while I’m slaving over my hair which I already know won’t cooperate, this fudge can be chilling in the fridge and be ready to take the attention off my ponytail and onto the cuteness of this fudge!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:27 pm

LOL! I know, I end up with it a pony 90% of the time…so why do I bother!!!

14. Brenda posted on February 3, 2014 at 2:00 pm (#)

Love your Valentine’s Day Fudge! I just can’t wait to make it. I want to maraschino cherry juice in the pink layer and maybe even some chopped up cherries. Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:26 pm

That would be awesome! Let me know how it turns out!

15. Medeja posted on February 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm (#)

This fudge looks super cute!

16. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on February 3, 2014 at 3:24 pm (#)

Such a sweet idea for Valentine’s Day, Dorothy! Thanks for sharing. : ) Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for the pin Stacy!

17. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 3, 2014 at 3:33 pm (#)

This sort of reminds me of Jocelyn’s neopolitan fudge which I still dream of. Now I will dream of this, too :) pinned

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:25 pm

LOL I know! I wanted to do an Oreo crust but figured it would be too close. :) Thanks for pinning!

18. Amy posted on February 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm (#)

It is SO true — guys have it waaay easier than us ladies sometimes! The whole shower/clothes/make-up routine takes so long compared to theirs. And I love the part about socks without holes; I’ll have to remember that for the (far-off) future with my kids! ;) I love, love, love this fudge too. Seriously adorable with that gorgeous pink hue. You picked the good conversation hearts too; I always seem to get the ones with the awkward messages!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I had to dig to find the good ones! :)

19. Laurie F. posted on February 3, 2014 at 5:11 pm (#)

Too pretty to eat! What a great idea, with the “aw” factor you want for such a sentimental holiday.

20. Jennifer posted on February 3, 2014 at 5:56 pm (#)

Love the idea of this fudge. Bought pure strawberry extract to make try a twist on choc strawberry fudge. Fingers crossed

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 6:32 pm

It’ll be awesome! Let me know what you think!

• Jennifer replied on February 15th, 2014 at 6:41 pm

So I put 2 TBSP of the strawberry extract and made strawberry fudge with the chocolate fudge on the bottom. He actually liked it and said it tasted like a chocolate covered strawberry – exactly what I was striving for. Thank you for the idea I will be making this again!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 16th, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you liked it! :)

21. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:05 pm (#)

Now that’s an adorable fudge worthy of Valentine’s Day

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:48 am

Thanks Erin!

22. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:23 pm (#)

I was late this morning trying to figure out what I feel like wearing, Next thing you know it’s been 15 minutes. Men really do have it easy. This fudge is so pretty and perfect for Valentine’s Day!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:48 am

Thank you Zainab!

23. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on February 4, 2014 at 8:54 am (#)

Men definately have it easier when it comes to preparing for events or parties. It’s totally unfair!

24. Deb Cochrane posted on February 4, 2014 at 9:16 am (#)

I understand the ‘men h ave it ieasier’ thing’ and the fudge looks great. I like the strawberry flavouring for the top layer idea and will be trying that for sure but what I DO NOT get and would like to know is: How can you keep fudge on your counter for 4 days without somebody eating it all on you before you take pictures. In this house fudge (any sweet for that matter) would last only a day or two if I made a large batch. What is your secret?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:44 am

LOL Deb, I know! I have SO MUCH dessert in the house there are a myriad of choices. My daughter is limited to one a day, and my husband doesn’t eat it. :) I have to be really in control or I’d eat it ALL!!

25. dina posted on February 4, 2014 at 5:47 pm (#)

it’s very pretty!

26. Pingback: Valentine's Day Ideas - Crazy for Crust

27. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on February 5, 2014 at 7:55 am (#)

This fudge is so so pretty! My hubby doesn’t worry nearly as much as I do. Is that a guy thing? He tries to help me be stress free. Sometimes he can dial it down…I’ll take anything! :)

28. Wendy posted on February 5, 2014 at 8:45 am (#)

Your description had me smiling and nodding my head! Its like I knew the next line because I live the same scenario every time my husband and I get ready to go anywhere! :) What do men accomplish in all of that extra time they have?
    Fudge question: Are these firm enough to cut out in heart shapes with a cookie cutter? Fudge hearts with conversation candies would make such a cute gift! I realize there would be fudge scraps left over that I would have to eat….but I would be willing to make that sacrifice. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I definitely think so! I would cut them when they’re right from the refrigerator, but they’d be perfect hearts!

• Wendy replied on February 15th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Dorothy, I wanted to let you know that your fudge recipes were a HUGE success in my Valentine’s Day care package!! I have been drooling over and pinning your fudge recipes for the longest time but never found the right moment to try them…I had never made fudge and wasn’t sure how involved it would be. Not only was your fudge delicious but dangerously easy to make!! I say thank you and my son (the care package recipient) says THANK YOU! I was sure my son would ask why I sent so much fudge (3 different recipes) but instead he encouraged me to send more whenever I felt like it! I made this Valentine’s Day fudge, Amaretto fudge, and Oreo fudge. Yum!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 16th, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I’m so glad Wendy!!! yay!!! I’m glad it traveled well. :)

29. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 5, 2014 at 12:45 pm (#)

Pssssh, guys take all of five seconds to get ready. And while I’m usually a quick dresser, I am totally like you — mentally prepping myself about who could possibly be there, what I’ll possibly say to them, what I’ll wear, how I’ll do my makeup, etc. I need like, an entire 48 hours before an event to plan for said event. #girlproblems I am so wanting this fudge!

30. Kristyn posted on February 7, 2014 at 4:49 am (#)

ADORABLE!! My kids love fudge but would love it even more with the conversation hearts!!

31. Pingback: 6 Homemade Candy Recipes | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

32. Pingback: Celebrate Love <3 | Peace & Pizza

33. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on February 11, 2014 at 4:29 am (#)

Men do have it easier, if only they knew half of what we go through hehe. This fudge looks super pretty, I love the layers and the cute heart candies – perfect for Valentine’s Day :)

34. Pingback: Valentine’s on a Dime Part II: Valentine’s Dinner | The Happy Idiot

35. Melissa posted on February 11, 2014 at 5:56 am (#)

Hi! I featured your recipe in my Valentine’s on a Dime Dinner post! It’s linked up and credit included! Come check it out sometime!

36. Kay H posted on February 11, 2014 at 3:40 pm (#)

I just bought Spring chocolate morsels at the store. They are all the beautiful Spring colors and would be perfect for an Easter fudge!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2014 at 10:05 am

I just saw those the other day. I have to get me some. :)

37. Pingback: Valentine’s Day 2014 | Olive Sundays