Feb 13

Turtle Brownies

I could live on caramel and pecans and chocolate.

If you’re like me, then these Turtle Brownies could sustain you for a day or two, because they are chock full of caramel and pecans and fudgy chocolate!

Turtle Brownies | crazyforcrust.com | A ton of turtle flavor in one brownie! The fudgy brownie is filled and topped with caramel and pecans!

My mom was a meter reader when I was a kid. She worked for the power company and would spend her days walking miles and miles (and miles) from house to house, reading the electric meter. I used to love the days she was in my Nana’s neighborhood, because I’d get on my scooter and ride along with her while she walked.

One time, I remember she found a turtle. I don’t know where she found it, or why she thought to bring it home, but she did. We immediately made a home for it in the bathtub. I remember watching it scurry around eating lettuce or something green.

I don’t remember how long Mr. Turtle was with us but I don’t think it was that long. I’m pretty sure that was back when there was only one bathroom in the house and we had to take showers. I think I remember my mom telling me he “ran away” and I searched for him under furniture and in cabinets and never found him.

I’m pretty sure my mom’s definition of “ran away” is different then mine.

I don’t know why but whenever I think of the Turtle candy, I think of that turtle. I also think of my mom because turtles are one of her absolute favorite candies. She’d get a box and it would be gone before I could beg for seconds (or thirds).

I’m sharing these Turtle Brownies today because Saturday is my mom’s birthday. These would be the perfect way to celebrate her day.

And guess what mom? The entire batch (er, minus one) is in the freezer waiting for you on Sunday. They’re all yours!

Happy Birthday!

These brownies combine my love of super fudgy brownies with caramel and pecans. And when I say super fudgy I mean super x1000.

My favorite brownie recipe, which I’ve shared a million times, has three kinds of chocolate in them: semi-sweet, unsweetened, and cocoa powder. Mixed with the melted butter and sugar, these brownies are chocolate and rich to the extreme.

Note about cocoa powder: you can use regular unsweetened or the Hershey’s Special Dark. I actually used a combination in this recipe (1 tablespoon of each) because I ran out of regular in the middle and was too lazy to walk out to my storage area in the garage and get the new container. Use what you have!

The “turtle” in these Turtle Brownies is doubled because the brownies are filled with caramel bits and pecans, and then topped with chocolate, caramel, and a pecan half. It’s like a turtle on top of a turtle brownie.

Note: if you can’t find the caramel bits (a Kraft product), you can use chopped Rolos or Hershey’s Caramel Kisses, or any other similar candy. I always find the caramel bits at my Super Target, occasionally at Walmart, and sometimes at different grocery stores.

I love my brownies underdone. That’s what gives them the immense fudgy look and taste. A brownie that is overcooked is not fudgy – it’s just crumbs. These brownies are stick-to-the-knife brownies. I baked mine for 23 minutes but the instructions specify 23-28. If you prefer them more done, cook them longer. My toothpick, one inch from the edge, had crumbs on it when I tested them.

{And while we’re on the topic of baking times…do you have an oven thermometer? You should get one. It will ensure your bake times are correct!}

If you love Turtles…you’ll love these Turtle (Caramel Pecan) Brownies.

Mom, I may have to steal one more of them.

Er, make that two.

Turtle Brownies

Yield: 16 brownies

Turtle Brownies

• 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 5 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped, divided
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter + 1 tablespoon, divided
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or Special Dark or a combo)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 3/4 cup caramel bits (see note)
  • 1/4 cup caramel bits or 6 caramel squares, unwrapped
  • 2 teaspoons milk (regular, low- or fat-free)
  • 16 pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x9” pan with cooking spray or line with foil and spray with cooking spray for easy removal.
  2. Add unsweetened baking chocolate, 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, and 3/4 cup unsalted butter to a large microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
  3. Stir in sugar, then eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Gently stir in flour.
  4. Add chopped pecans and 3/4 cup caramel bits (see note) to the batter and stir. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 23-28 minutes, until a toothpick comes out 1” from the center with a few crumbs. (I like mine under done and super fudgy, so I baked them for 23 minutes. If you like them more done, go a few minutes longer.)
  5. Let brownies cool completely at room temperature, then cut into 16 bars.
  6. Melt 3 remaining ounces of semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon butter. (In the microwave, melt in 30 second increments, stirring between each.)
  7. Melt 1/4 cup caramel bits or 6 caramel squares with milk in 30 second increments, stirring between each.
  8. Spoon about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of chocolate on each brownie and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Top with a drizzle of caramel and a pecan half. Let cool to set.
  9. I don’t recommend refrigerating these to speed the chill time. The caramel will get hard if they are chilled. Store them in a covered container at room temperature.

Notes

I find caramel bits at Target and Walmart in the baking section. If you cannot find them, you can use unwrapped and chopped Rolos or Hershey’s Caramel Kisses.

Turtle Brownie Pies

turtle brownie pies

Turtle Cake Roll

chocolate-caramel-turtle-cake-roll-4-words

Turtle Cookies

chocolate chip turtle cookies

Turtle Rice Krispie Treats by Something Swanky
No Fail Turtle Fudge by Back for Seconds
Magic Turtle Bars by Chocolate, Chocolate, and More

54 Responses to “Turtle Brownies”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 13, 2014 at 5:18 am (#)

I love Turtles! I would gut ga-ga for these, Dorothy! That oozing caramel is just killing me :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2014 at 7:07 am

Oh, me too… :) And thanks for the pins!!!

2. Tieghan Gerard posted on February 13, 2014 at 5:50 am (#)

These look good good! Turtles are so delicious, but in brownie form? YEs, please!

3. Kathy posted on February 13, 2014 at 5:56 am (#)

Oh my! I’d be tempted to eat the eat whole pan!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2014 at 7:07 am

Oh, and I so totally was!

4. Leslie posted on February 13, 2014 at 6:08 am (#)

Yummy! I love anything chocolate and caramel. These look great & I’m sure they smell amazing.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2014 at 7:07 am

It was all I could do to only eat one!!

5. Ashton posted on February 13, 2014 at 6:23 am (#)

I always think of you and your mom when I see turtle desserts! These look incredible!!!

6. marcie posted on February 13, 2014 at 6:36 am (#)

That caramel smothered in all of that luscious chocolate just looks heavenly, Dorothy! Pinning. :)

7. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on February 13, 2014 at 7:53 am (#)

aw what a sweet story about your mom and your “long lost” turtle :P heheheheeee

I love turtles too! These brownies….chocolatey….delish pecans….and mmmm caramel….*le sigh* perfection*

8. Claire Gallam posted on February 13, 2014 at 8:16 am (#)

These look SO DECADENT Dorothy!!!

9. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on February 13, 2014 at 9:04 am (#)

Love the story about the mysterious turtle :) I also love turtle food anything… I could eat everyone of these….

10. Cynthia Banessa posted on February 13, 2014 at 10:21 am (#)

Oh my this looks soooooooo good! Thanks for sharing!

11. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on February 13, 2014 at 10:21 am (#)

Ooh yum I could live on these too, no problem ;)

12. Mary Frances posted on February 13, 2014 at 10:28 am (#)

You have been rccking the brownies lately! That caramel sounds incredible, especially with your fudgy brownie base. Haha, it is funny the random memories we have with food. I always think of certain books I was reading when I eat a certain snack; weird, I know!

13. Jodee Weiland posted on February 13, 2014 at 11:09 am (#)

These brownies have everything I love. They look fabulously delicious! I wish I could bite into one right now. Thanks for sharing!

14. Jamie @ Dishing Out Health posted on February 13, 2014 at 11:54 am (#)

Ah turtle is my weakness!! These look incredible and I bet taste even better. Sounds like the perfect Valentines Day treat.. :)

15. Kelly posted on February 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm (#)

That’s such a wonderful story about your mom and so sweet that you made these brownies to celebrate her birthday – she will absolutely love them! They look absolutely incredible! I love Turtles :)

16. Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina posted on February 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm (#)

Loving this recipe- turtle chocolates are my favorite dessert, and in a brownie? Even better!!

17. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on February 13, 2014 at 2:15 pm (#)

Be still my choco-lovin’ heart! These turtle brownies are DIVINE, Dorothy!

18. Regan posted on February 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm (#)

These look so amazing…….I think I need them on MY birthday, too!…..which is also Saturday! Awesome! Tell your mom that the 15th is also Susan B. Anthony’s birthday! We’re in good company! :o)

• Mom replied on February 13th, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Well, Happy Birthday to you too, Regan. I have a couple of other friends that also share our day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Jordan’s BFFs brother also shares both your brays. :) Happy birthday Regan!

19. Mom posted on February 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm (#)

Oh, WOW, I can’t wait. Thanks, Kiddo. And thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    xoxo, Mom

20. Amy posted on February 13, 2014 at 6:33 pm (#)

Aww Dorothy, you’re just the sweetest!! That has to be hard for your mom to have a birthday right after Valentine’s Day, but you created the most decadent treat to make it all better! Fudgy underdone brownies are the best, and I always claim the 4 fudgiest ones in the center. No one else can have them! ;) That’s a really touching story about Mr. Turtle, and I can just picture you racing around the house searching for him. At least you have a beautiful dog now who won’t “run away!” :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Ditto – the center ones are MINE. :)

21. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on February 13, 2014 at 6:37 pm (#)

Oh You know how to make me happy!!!

22. Dorothy vesperman posted on February 13, 2014 at 7:02 pm (#)

YUMMMM!!! I love turtle anything!! THANK YOU!! I love ur sweet turtle story. Brought back memories of my daughter finding a baby turtle on a field trip. She kept it in her pocket and brought it home. Rudy lived with us for 2 yrs.
    From one Dorothy to another Dorothy :-)

23. Rebecca Cooper posted on February 13, 2014 at 7:38 pm (#)

Oh my! These look to DIE for!! :)

24. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on February 13, 2014 at 10:37 pm (#)

Wow, these look insane!! Happy birthday to your mom!

25. tanya posted on February 14, 2014 at 4:29 am (#)

Your mom is a lucky girl! What an awesome birthday gift! My birthday is in July, I’ll expect some in my freezer too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 14th, 2014 at 10:49 am

If only we could wiggle our noses and treats could just appear! :)

26. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on February 14, 2014 at 5:01 am (#)

Jazzed up brownies are the best kind. Love that you put some on top too.

27. Cyndi posted on February 14, 2014 at 10:33 am (#)

Happy Birthday to your mom! What a sweet story of you and your mom and your lil turtle. I’ve never heard or had turtle candies. I am so missing out and need to Google them this sec? I feel like I need to get on the bandwagon. Any who these look amazing! Totally need to make them for my dad’s bday! Thanks Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 14th, 2014 at 10:47 am

Oh you totally do! They’re SO good. Thanks Cyndi!

28. Pingback: Over 50 Turtle Recipes - Crazy for Crust

29. Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! posted on February 15, 2014 at 7:15 am (#)

These brownies look beyond delicious. I would have a really hard time keeping them in the freezer, especially over a weekend, but your Mom totally deserves these. Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 15th, 2014 at 11:45 am

It was all I could do yesterday to not dig in Kathi!

30. Pingback: Funfetti Cookie Fudge Bars - Crazy for Crust

31. Kristyn posted on February 17, 2014 at 9:22 am (#)

Oh YUM!! I LOVE Turtles!!!

32. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on February 18, 2014 at 10:00 am (#)

There are calling me from the screen to go home, make them, and eat the whole pan!

33. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 20, 2014 at 5:44 am (#)

Oh, boy! That caramel is totally calling my name today. I adore under cooked brownies…no crumbly ones here! Happy Birthday to your mom. She is going to love these!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2014 at 6:38 am

Crumbly, never!! :) Thanks Jocelyn!

34. Pingback: Perfect Funfetti Cupcakes - Crazy for Crust