Oct 30

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones {gevalia mocha latte}

Thanks to the sponsorship of Collective Bias and their client, I made these Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones that taste better than anything you can get at a coffee house!

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones | crazyforcrust.com | #shop #CupofKaffe

When I was 15 my family went to visit my Uncle and his family. We stayed with them for a few days and during that time my cousin, who was then 17, took me all over the city to sightsee, and pretty much rescue me from my parents. I mean, I was 15 and on a two week RV trip with my parents. Torture would be another word for it.

My mom would beg to differ. I think her word is unmentionable here.

Anyway.

On our travels around the big city, my cousin introduced me to the wonder that is the Mocha. I think I had no less than three iced mochas in a two day time period. I’d never even had coffee before, and I can remember that first sip: I really thought it tasted weird. But by the end of our adventures, I was hooked. Mochas became by go-to coffee drink for years, until I had to cut down on paying for expensive coffee.

That was a sad, sad day.

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones | crazyforcrust.com

Now, I don’t know about you, but I have a really hard time just ordering a cup of coffee. I always, always want a scone or a muffin or a cookie. But ordering a mocha and a scone is not really budget friendly, now is it?

I’ve told you before, several times, about how I love second breakfast. It’s the hour I spend in my quiet house, after drop off, after my workout. I’m hungry and I want another cup of coffee and a snack. It’s times like those I most long for my mocha and scone days!

But guess what? If you have a Keurig and an oven, you can now bring those mochas and scones home for your second breakfast indulgence. Yes it’s true – you can now make mochas at home…IN YOUR KEURIG!

Introducting: Gevalia’s new line of K-Cups, the Cafe-Style K-Cup!

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones | crazyforcrust.com | #shop #CupofKaffe

The box of Gevalia Cafe-Style Mocha Latte K-Cups comes with froth packets to make your mocha latte and the k-cup to brew the espresso. All you have to do is add the contents of the froth packet to a mug and run an 8 oz. cycle with the k-cup and boom! You have a mocha at home. For a fraction of the cost!

Then, with your handy dandy oven and this recipe, you can make some scones to go with it. It’s an indulgence that can be come an everyday indulgence: second breakfast!

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones | crazyforcrust.com | #shop #CupofKaffe

I must say, I adore these scones. I have to toot my own horn a bit – they’re awesome. Better than those you get at the coffee house, I promise. They’re moist (which, I’m sorry, needs to be a word associated with scones) and super flavorful.

The scone is infused with spice cake flavors: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and molasses. It’s perfect for this time of year! Then I added a healthy dose of cinnamon chips. I am so in love with those chips! You can find them for sure at Walmart, but I know they’ll be other places this time of year.

I think the key to making the perfect scone is using really cold butter and not skimping on the heavy cream. Normally I substitute lower-fat equivalents but not in scones! I’m not willing to sacrifice calories for sawdust.

I have a great tip for working in the cold butter. Using a pastry cutter is work (and I hate it!) but it’s necessary. When I started to make these scones, the butter was frozen (I forgot to take it out to thaw). So, instead of risking microwaving it, I grated it with a box grater because I’d just read this awesome post by Rachel. Because it was frozen it stayed super cold even when I held it to grate it and it was easier and much faster to work it into the dry ingredients with my pastry cutter!

A spiced cinnamon chip scone and a mocha latte at home. That’s a pretty darn near perfect breakfast for me!

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones | crazyforcrust.com | #shop #CupofKaffe

And it will be for you too!

Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones

• 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 1 cup cinnamon chips

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
  2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt in a large bowl. Add cold butter and cut it in using a pastry blender or two butter knives until it forms small crumbs. (Note: my butter started out frozen, so I grated it (frozen) with a box grater instead of using it diced. It was so much easier to work it into the flour mixture this way!)
  3. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the vanilla, egg, molasses and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir gently with a fork until just incorporated. Add the cinnamon chips and then finish bringing the dough together with your hands.
  4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface or a non-stick baking mat. Form into an round that is approximately 8” in diameter. Cut the round into 8 triangles and place each on the prepared baking sheet. (Note: the cinnamon chips that are touching the baking sheet might burn. Be sure to push all the ones touching the cookie sheet into the scone.) Brush each triangle with a little heavy cream and sprinkle each with a pinch of sugar. Bake for about12 minutes until just golden. Serve warm or room temperature.

Get $1.50 off one box of Gevalia Cafe-Style K-Cups by printing the coupon on the Walmart site!

Connect with Gevalia on Facebook.

Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones

Funfetti-Chocolate-Chip-Scones-3-words

Mocha Coffee Cake

Mocha-Coffee-Cake (3 of 5)

White Chocolate Raspberry Scones by Wine & Glue
Red Velvet Scones by Something Swanky
Banana Bread Scones by A Kitchen Addiction

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client. All opinions are my own.

34 Responses to “Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones {gevalia mocha latte}”

1. Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker posted on October 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm (#)

These scones sound delightful. Unfortunately we don’t have cinnamon chips here in the UK :(

2. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on October 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm (#)

Oooo – these sound awesome! Love all of the warm spices!

3. Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker posted on October 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm (#)

Cinnamon scones are my absolute favorite scones hands down and these look delicious. I actually worked at a coffee shop for a bit so I definitely know how fast the prices can go up once you start adding on extras like pastries and espresso shots.

4. Royce Robertson posted on October 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm (#)

Your recipe for scones sounds delicious. I have never made scones even though I love them and yet, I always seem to put off making them (have no idea why). So hopefully I will give these a whirl. Great tip about grating frozen butter. I think we all do that once in a while, forget to take the butter out of the fridge. Couldn’t agree with you more about coffee. When I was young I use to drink three pots a day all by myself, then for some reason, gave it up. Drank tea instead. Started drinking coffee again only two years ago after my family bought me a mocha latte, and now I am hooked on them. Only drink about three a week however and doubt that I would buy a coffee pot and the mix. Never say never though, so you never know, that might change. In the meantime, I appreciate your recipes. Thank you.

5. Amy posted on October 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm (#)

I’m right there with you — scones NEED to be moist! None of this dry crumby business. I like mine with the inner texture of an airy muffin and the outside crisp from a sprinkling of sugar. And don’t get me started on cinnamon chips… They’re one of my favorite things!

P.S. I love the burlap bag-looking cloth in your top two photos! Mind if I ask what you used? :)

6. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on October 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm (#)

Cinnamon chips and me are BFFs. Girl I love them so much! I am admittedly not a bit scone eater b/c usually they’re way too dry but yours are the moistest I’ve ever seen!

7. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on October 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm (#)

Second breakfast! What a great idea. I love cinnamon chip scones and can’t wait to try these!

8. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on October 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm (#)

I so need to have second breakfast at your house… like now… at 8 at night… because that makes total sense :)

9. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on October 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm (#)

Scones just make me so happy Dorothy. And that frozen butter + grater trick is the bees knees. Ever since I started using it, my scones fluff up through the roof!
    PS. Cinnamon chips = NEED! I know what I’m getting myself a “Halloween present.”

10. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on October 30, 2013 at 6:12 pm (#)

MMmmm I love a GOOD scone and these look like GREAT scones!!!

11. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on October 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm (#)

oh how I LOVE scones but I feel so guilty eating them. I am willing to put that aside to try one of these!

12. marcie posted on October 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm (#)

I hate the fact that I like expensive coffee too. $3.65 for a latte is so expensive! I have a Keurig as well, and I’ve never heard of this brand. I love the sound of that! Your scones look utterly delicious, and just as good if not better than most I see in coffee shops!

13. Tieghan posted on October 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm (#)

Why have I never had a scone?!? Your look so incredible! Love the cinnamon chips!

14. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on October 30, 2013 at 7:22 pm (#)

Grating butter! Seriously! I need to see that! And these look awesome!

15. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on October 31, 2013 at 6:56 am (#)

I’ve seen those mocha k-cups at my grocery store but didn’t know if they would be worth the price so I’m glad to hear they’re good!
    These scones look AWESOME, and I love the tip about working with cold butter- I usually end up just using my hands but I’ll try the grating tip next time. Your scones look so flaky and moist, I love it!

16. Kristen posted on October 31, 2013 at 8:19 am (#)

Love the combination of the mocha and the scones. Sounds like the perfect breakfast :)

17. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on October 31, 2013 at 8:30 am (#)

Now this is the kind of breakfast I dream about -YUM! Pinned :)

18. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on October 31, 2013 at 10:42 am (#)

I love my coffee. In fact, I was even thinking about buying an espresso maker (aka talk and move faster maker).
    I try not to look at the goodies when I order coffee at a shop, but they have a way of starring at me. How do they do that? ;)
    I’m loving these scones. Cinnamon spice and everything nice…too cheesy?
    Gorgeous pics as always. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 31st, 2013 at 5:41 pm

They grow HUGE eyes and they chant too. :) Thanks Tina!

19. Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron posted on October 31, 2013 at 11:44 am (#)

I want a mocha with a freshly baked scone…. and pretend I’m in a fancy coffee shop. This is perfection!

20. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on October 31, 2013 at 11:51 am (#)

That quiet hour is my favorite too! I’ll have to bake some of these scones and cherish the stillness.

21. Kindra posted on October 31, 2013 at 11:56 am (#)

I made some of your funfetti scones for Halloween breakfast this morning. I used yellow cake mix and Halloween sprinkles. Turned out awesome! My family was excited. I might try them again with a chocolate or spiced cake mix. Very easy to make. I even grated my butter as it was frozen and it worked great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 31st, 2013 at 5:41 pm

That’s why I love cake mix so much! They sky is the limit! :)

22. Tahnycooks posted on November 1, 2013 at 5:30 am (#)

These scones look so good! I truly love a good scone! Great minds think a like on this scone! I’d trade you one of my scones to try yours!!

23. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on November 4, 2013 at 10:23 am (#)

Oh delicious! I love having a scone with a cup of coffee! #client

25. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on November 8, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

Delicious!

26. Pingback: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins {copycat recipe} - Crazy for Crust

27. Stacy bo shell posted on April 9, 2014 at 7:10 am (#)

So my husband is very picky. He says these were too cakey for him. What can I do differently to make them crispier? You have any suggestions on a less dense version?

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hmmm, I’m not sure? I’d have to do some research on it. I’ve made scones with cake mix before also, but they’re pretty dense too?

28. Mel posted on September 7, 2014 at 4:44 pm (#)

I just pulled these out of the oven, and they’ve made the entire apartment smell so wonderful! As soon as they cool, I plan to slather on some spiced peach jam. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Oooh I bet that will be wonderful. I’m so glad Mel!! Enjoy!