Aug 11

Peanut Butter and Jelly Gooey Bars

These Peanut Butter and Jelly Gooey Bars are the perfect snack to get your kids in the mood for school!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Gooey Bars by crazyforcrust.com | A peanut butter gooey cake bar layered with jam for a fun back-to-school treat!

It’s Back to School Week here at Crazy for Crust! It’s a weeklong celebration of school!

And when I say celebration, I really mean dancing the macarena, hands in the air, shaking my booty and chanting, “School is back in! School is back in!”

Well, almost. She starts next week…but I’m getting the party started early. Gotta be prepared!

There’s nothing like a summer to make you realize that working from home with a child on vacation is HARD. How do y’all do it with young ones? OMG.

I’ve come to realize that I really am a “work at home mom.” In the past, I considered myself a SAHM, who blogged. After reviewing everything this summer, I realized that I’m a WAHM…and a SAHM. Those are two really hard jobs to put together. Jordan has spent the summer at a lot of camps, a few playdates, and with a lot of TV.

And when several playdates got cancelled at the last minute, more TV. #icountonplaydates #noonegetsthat

Anyway.

Back to school. It’s the season of new. New clothes, new backpack. New teachers, new books. New promises to pack better lunches and make snacks from scratch.

And…it’s the season for PB&J, and new PB&J treats.

Like these Peanut Butter & Jelly Gooey Bars.

I’m kind of on a Gooey Bar kick. I’ve made Healthier Chocolate Gooey Bars and Funfetti Gooey Bars. They are just so easy to make and are so versatile! I have a few more ideas up my sleeve, so keep an eye out for those!

Being Back to School Week, I naturally thought of PB&J Gooey Bars. Peanut butter and jelly seem to be iconic this time of year. I’ve never been a jelly or jam person, until recently. One day I was craving something so bad and somehow I realized I was craving jam on toast, even though I’d never had it.

#weird

And yes, I was in my 20s before I tasted jam. Or jelly. I am a picky eater, and I’m proud of it! ;)

Like all Gooey Bars, these start with a cake mix. The mix is made into a “crust” and pressed into a pan, and is then topped with sweetened condensed milk and other goodies.

Instead of using the traditional butter and egg combo for the crust, I used peanut butter and egg for this PB&J version. These are very peanut buttery!

The sweetened condensed milk got whisked with some seedless strawberry jam. Why it’s purple? I don’t know. But you could use grape or blackberry, or use jam or jelly. Whatever you have on hand works great!

I wanted to use peanut butter chips in this, but realized I was out half way through making them, so I used white chocolate chips. I wrote the recipe to reflect either addition. I know that some of you can’t get peanut butter chips, so use what you have on hand!

I think these are my favorite gooey bar so far. I brought these to a PTC meeting and everyone loved them. I can attest that I ate way too many of them myself. I’d meant to freeze some for the actual start of school. Yeah, that didn’t happen.

It just means I’ll have to make them again! Or, at least, another version.

I’m going to be celebrating school all year long…with more gooey bars!

PB&J Gooey Bars

PB&J Gooey Bars

• 1 yellow cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (from a 14 ounce can)
  • 1/2 cup jam or jelly (I used seedless strawberry jam)
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips or peanut butter chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray liberally with cooking spray.
  2. With a hand mixer or electric mixer, beat eggs, cake mix, and peanut butter until mixture is crumbly. Press about 2/3 of the mixture into prepared pan.
  3. Sprinkle white chocolate or peanut butter chips over the crust. Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and jam in a measuring cup or small bowl. Pour over the chips and crust.
  4. Sprinkle the rest of the cake batter mixture evenly over the top of the bars. Press lightly to compact. Bake for 25-28 minutes, until top just starts to get golden brown. Cool completely before slicing into bars.

Be sure to come back all week long for more Back to School Week treats! Up tomorrow: an easy breakfast idea using one of my favorite cereals!

Other back to school favorites:

PB & Nutella Sandwich Cakes

PB Nutella Sandwiches 5 words

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip PB bars 1 words

Enjoy!

50 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Gooey Bars”

1. Rachel Cotterill posted on August 11, 2013 at 4:09 am (#)

I’ve never heard of a gooey bar before! But they look great :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 11th, 2013 at 7:09 am

Thanks Rachel! They’re SO easy and good!

2. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on August 11, 2013 at 4:31 am (#)

I have not had this type of bar before either but love the flavors you put into it! Can’t wait to see what else you come up with! My daughters and I at the beginning of the summer starting chanting and we jump up and down as we say things like Summer! Summer! Summer! now we do it for everything. It is so cute!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 11th, 2013 at 7:09 am

We do that too, and by August we’re both excited for Fall! :)

3. Tieghan posted on August 11, 2013 at 5:27 am (#)

Gooey anything has my name written all over it! I am loving all desserts with sweetened condensed milk these days. The stuff is magical in my opinion! These are gooetastic!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 11th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Totally Magical! Like unicorns and peanut butter cups. :)

4. Madison posted on August 11, 2013 at 6:31 am (#)

These look so amazing! and bring me right back to my childhood! thanks for sharing. :)

5. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on August 11, 2013 at 7:26 am (#)

We still have a few more weeks of summer in MI, since school doesn’t start till after labor day :) These look amazing though. I love PB&J anything :)

6. Kristin posted on August 11, 2013 at 8:08 am (#)

I was an adult, like 19 or 20, before I had a PB and J sandwich. They’re okay. HOWEVER, you had me at Sweetened Condensed Milk.

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 11, 2013 at 8:33 am (#)

Wow they look so good! I made some PB&J layered crumble-topped bars like this for my cookbook. But no gooey marshmallows and no soft squishy cake base. Your bars look wonderful and I have a marshmallow gooey bar recipe up today so needless to say, I would inhale these bars!

8. Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) posted on August 11, 2013 at 9:41 am (#)

I love peanut butter and I love gooey jelly. I’d snack on these and feel happy for the rest of the day.

9. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on August 11, 2013 at 11:01 am (#)

I am not a pb and j girl (totally not American, I know:) but these look so gooey, I can’t resist! Between the cake mix and the pb chips and the SCM, I think this would convert me!

10. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on August 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm (#)

I can’t believe you didn’t eat pb&j as a kid!!! I would have died if not for pb&j. It was my only reliable source of nutrients. These bars look awesome. I’m definitely going to try the pb chip version. Yum!

11. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on August 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm (#)

Such a great idea for a fun twist on gooey bars! So perfect for back to school too!
    Yeah, and working at home with (soon to be) 4 little ones? Not easy. Babies need their mama!

13. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on August 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm (#)

Oh yum! These look delicious :) I’ve loved PB&J since I was a kid – I still crave it sometimes!

14. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm (#)

I love the combination of white chocolate, PB, and jelly! I can’t believe we are already talking about back to school. Where did the summer go!!!??

15. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on August 11, 2013 at 5:39 pm (#)

WAHM = Hardest. Thing. Ever. And no one gets that you have a schedule, and a REALLY busy life, and they can’t just drop in at a moment’s notice or call and say, “Hey, we should for sure drag the kids to the zoo today!!” Well of course we should, I mean it’s not like I have a ton of deadlines and a pie in the oven. :)

These look amazing Dorothy.

Psssst .. . . be my neighbor.

16. Wendy posted on August 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm (#)

I was allergic to peanut butter as a child so that wasn’t my lunch box staple. When I eventually started eating pb and j it was with strawberry jam only. Neither of my kids would eat grape jam either. These bars cater to our jam pickiness, however, the crumbly topping may be my favorite part!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Mine too! I will ONLY eat strawberry jam. Grape – *shudder* ;)

17. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes posted on August 11, 2013 at 9:40 pm (#)

You had me at the word “gooey” LOL! Delicious looking!

18. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on August 12, 2013 at 6:42 am (#)

Oh my gosh I LOVE gooey bars!! This version looks incredible Dorothy and I would totally go with the peanut butter chips – YUMMY!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I wish I had had some in the pantry. How is it possible I ran out???!!

19. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on August 12, 2013 at 8:25 am (#)

In Minnesota it’s a law that school can’t start before Labor Day…so I find it so weird reading about everyone going back to school already! These bars look amazing. I love PB&J and I can not believe you were in your 20’s before you tried jelly!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Really??? A law!? We’ve been going back before labor day for as long as I can remember!

20. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on August 12, 2013 at 9:41 am (#)

Definitely a version I need to try!

21. Tahnycooks posted on August 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm (#)

Oh my goodness……look at that crumb topping!!! Delish! Especially with peanut butter and sweetened condensed milk! Winner! Winner! Winner!

22. Liz posted on August 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm (#)

Our schools don’t start until September and that means I go back to work too :( It’ll be a nice break from the kids fighting, arguing and saying “Mom, I’m bored!” :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Ugh, the I’m bored. It’s the worst!

23. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

I know you are excited for back to school! I remember my mom couldn’t wait until we were in school. Of course she liked spending time with us but all day, every day got old real fast. Especially with me and my brother. LOL

These look really good, Dorothy! Oooey and gooey are always delicious! Pinned and sharing on FB and Twitter tomorrow. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays!

24. Maria posted on August 13, 2013 at 2:29 am (#)

What a great idea for bars! These look delicious, I love that you added the peanut butter and jelly flavors to them! They look wonderful!

25. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 13, 2013 at 9:52 am (#)

You’re gooey bars have been the jam (ha!) recently! I love this pb and J version! So funny that you had never tried jelly. I used to hate pb and grew up eating jelly sandwiches, haha. Guess I’ve always been a sugar fiend. But then one day – I liked pb. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I can see a jam sandwich. Sugar rocks!

26. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on August 13, 2013 at 11:54 am (#)

I still love a good PB&J and find myself nibbling on my kids when I make it for them. My kids and I would go nuts for these bars! Great little afternoon snack.

27. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on August 13, 2013 at 4:43 pm (#)

Peanut butter and jelly is a classic. Turn it into gooey bars and I”m all over it! Theses look amazing. I love how you only need a few ingredients to make these. Peanut butter chips rule!!

28. Dina posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:52 pm (#)

these sound yummy. I love the addition of white chocolate chips.

29. Amy posted on August 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm (#)

Dorothy, all summer I’ve been admiring how you both blogged consistently (with a LOT of new recipes, all created by YOU!) and made lots of time for Jordan. You posted plenty of Instagram pictures of the two of you at Costco, Disneyland, getting her a loom, going to the fair, at “Monsters University”… You balanced both blogging and “momming” REALLY well, and you definitely deserve a “break” once school starts!!

P.S. Maybe once the start-of-school craziness dies down, we could meet up one day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:46 am

HA! Balance. That’s funny. ;) But thank you! And yes, we should totally meet up sometime!! Lunch in the middle. :)

• Amy replied on August 15th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Balance doesn’t always mean that everything is perfectly even — the scales can tilt one way or another for a little bit! ;) YAY sounds great!! I’m excited! :)

30. Jocelyn@BruCrew Life posted on August 14, 2013 at 8:31 pm (#)

I am totally going to make these for my kiddos for an after school snack!! They look darn good! ;)

31. Pingback: Top FIVE Thursday Vibes – 8.15.2013 | Everything's a Thing

32. Donika@momwhats4dinner posted on August 19, 2013 at 8:16 am (#)

Oh I love gooey bars, cannot wait to try these out! Love the pics too!

33. Pingback: Peanut Butter & Jelly Gooey Bars