Jun 13

Mocha Brownies with a Crust

These Mocha Brownies with a Crust are an amazing brownie infused with Gevalia coffee for a great afternoon pick-me-up!

Mocha Brownies with a Crust by crazyforcrust.com | Coffee and chocolate in every bite!

I love having parties. I think I always have. I would much rather host a party than go to one – that way the control freak in me can hoard every single detail. If you ever come to a party at my house, don’t bother offering to bring anything; my answer will be no.

Seriously, I’m a total control freak. You just may make the best baked beans ever, but that may clash with my Italian Trattoria theme. {Yes, I know I have issues.}

My favorite part of any party (that I’m planning, hosting, or attending) is dessert. Obviously. And you know what pairs really, really good with dessert? Coffee.

Coffee is one of those things at parties that always gets forgotten, am I right? Halfway through dessert you realize you never pressed the “on” switch? If you do make coffee, you know someone will drink it. Coffee is one of those party things like vodka that people just say, sure, why not have a cup?

So when I make coffee for a party, I want it to be good. And, being me, I want to include it in as many desserts as possible because really, coffee is my favorite thing everrrrrr.

Recently I had a little coffee party at my house. It was a small get-together, just my parents, Jordan, and me. I wanted to thank them for watching her while I was in Austin for BlogHer Food. (Because, conveniently, the day after I made my reservations, my husband told me he had a conference in New Jersey…the same weekend.)

Thank goodness for grandparents!

parents gevalia party

And of course, besides games with the granddaughter, we needed treats. Like brownies.

These brownies are Mocha Brownies. They are some of the best ones I’ve made yet! And they start with a box mix…and that’s one of my favorite things about them. They are so easy to make.

The brownies have a crust. I love, love, love putting a crust on brownies. My favorite part of a pan of brownies is the gooey center, and when you put a crust on them the entire pan tastes that way.

I topped the shortbread crust with a brownie mix that was infused with coffee. And then the icing is coffee flavored too. These are coffee to the extreme!

When you’re using coffee in a chocolate dessert, like cake or brownies, you don’t taste it at all. The coffee flavor only enhances the chocolate flavor. But when you use coffee in a frosting like I topped these mocha brownies with, you taste every single bit, so you want it to be a good coffee, with amazing flavor.

Gevalia has been brewing coffee since the 1800s, and the cast-iron roasting method they use creates a smooth tasting coffee, one that’s never bitter. I really enjoy Gevalia, and used it when I made my Mocha Coffee Cake a few months ago. They have several different flavors, and now they even have the single-serve cups for your single-serve coffee makers!

The Gevalia coffee was perfect for the gathering with my parents because we all have different ways we like our coffee. I like it stronger, my dad likes it lighter. You can buy Gevalia at Safeway (or their affiliate brands near you) and, if you’re buying the single-serve cups you can buy different strengths for different party attendees. Plus, Safeway has a great selection of everything you’d need for a party. They’re my favorite grocery store here in Northern California!

Can you see how fudgy that brownie is? It’s to die for, paired with the crunchy shortbread crust!

These brownies were a big hit with my family. I even left a couple without frosting, so Jordan could enjoy them. (She could have had a little, but that girl doesn’t need any extra caffeine!)

grandparents gevalia 2

But I think my parents did – especially after a weekend chasing her around! ;)

If you’ve never made brownies with a crust, you must start. You’ll agree it’s the best way to eat brownies! (And, your friends and family will love them at your next gathering!)

Mocha Brownies with a Crust

Mocha Brownies with a Crust

For the Crust:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • For the Brownies:
  • 1 box brownie mix (9x13 pan size)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup brewed coffee
  • For the Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 Tablespoons brewed coffee

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Mix butter, flour, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until the dough comes together, but it will still be a little crumbly. Pour into pan and press with your fingers to make the crust.
  3. Bake crust for 10 minutes. While it’s baking, make the brownies. Mix all brownie ingredients in a medium bowl and stir by hand until combined. Pour over hot crust.
  4. Bake brownies for 21-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean 1 inch from the side of the pan. Cool completely before frosting.
  5. When the brownies are cool, make the frosting. Beat melted butter and powdered sugar with a handheld mixer in a large bowl. Mix in vanilla and coffee and beat until smooth. Pour over brownies and spread evenly. Chill to set. The frosting will stay set in the refrigerator, and get softer as the brownies come to room temperature.
  6. Makes 24 brownies.

Other delish brownie recipes:

Fudgy Brownies with Orange Frosting

Brownies-Orange-Frosting12-4words

Carrot Cake Brownies

carrot-cake-brownies-2-words

Dulce de Leche Brownies by Mom on Timeout
Chocolate Caramel Covered Potato Chip Brownies by Something Swanky
Marshmallow Cheesecake Swirled S’more Brownies by The Sweet {Tooth} Life

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

62 Responses to “Mocha Brownies with a Crust”

1. Karissa K. @ Sweet As A Cookie posted on June 13, 2013 at 3:19 pm (#)

Today was obviously a brownie day.
    These sound soooo good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Is any day NOT a brownie day?

2. foodfashionandflow posted on June 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm (#)

coffee party? brownies with coffee in them? These look so darn good. You should have invited me to that party, I am a coffee fiend and loooooove anything with chocolate.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I wish you could have come. That would have made me eat less brownies! :)

3. Amy posted on June 13, 2013 at 4:34 pm (#)

I JUST tried coffee for the first time in March! My dad drinks it every day, but since he gets really bad headaches if he misses a day, my mom told my brother and me to never try it. Well… I had a coupon for Starbucks that I didn’t want to waste! And I received another one this month from Safeway for half-price frappuccinos — they’re my new favorite thing! I want to make them myself at home (to control the caffeine and sugar; I don’t need much of each!), but I don’t have a coffee maker. Slight problem.

Anyway, a very tangential way of saying I’d love to try your brownies! I used to hate coffee in my desserts, especially chocolate and brownies because I can still taste it, but now that I’m warming to the flavor, that might’ve changed!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

That’s how I started too – fraps and ice mochas. Now it’s the real thing, first thing in the morning! :)

• Amy replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I think that’s what my mom is afraid of — me turning into a daily black coffee drinker too! ;) (Then again, she has a chai latte every day, so she’s still getting a daily dose of caffeine too…)

4. Jenn posted on June 13, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

Your mocha brownies do sound AMAZING. P.S. I’m loving your new couch.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Jenn! We do too. It’s nice to be comfortable on the sofa for once!

5. nessa posted on June 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm (#)

Shortbread and brownies are great together!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Yes they are! Thanks Nessa!

6. Kristin posted on June 13, 2013 at 6:15 pm (#)

I would also much rather host. Control, control, control :)

Looks yummy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

LOL, glad it’s not just me!

7. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on June 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm (#)

Coffee is one my all time favorite things to drink and to add to chocolate goodies. These brownies with the crust and coffee frosting are totally begging me to make them! Love!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Thanks Jocelyn! We both love coffee SO much!

8. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on June 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm (#)

Haha Dorothy, we are so alike. I never let anyone bring anything when I host parties – like EVER. #imacontrolfreakandiknowit. I love the idea of adding a crust to your brownies…and coffee, too. These look great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I’m a total control freak. I think it’s what people like about me. #not

Thanks Ashley!

9. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on June 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm (#)

A coffee party sounds fabulous :) These bars look beautiful!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Jennifer!

10. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on June 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm (#)

These look wonderful and I am LOVING all of the coffee in them!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Faith!

11. Tieghan posted on June 13, 2013 at 7:15 pm (#)

Was just thinking today I needed to make mocha brownies!! These look awesome! Coffe and chocolate are so good together, but in brownies! Swoon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Yes they are! I can only imagine what your mocha brownies will look like!

12. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on June 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm (#)

I LOVE coffee. Specifically espresso drinks! I’ve wondered how the Gevalia coffee is. My grocery store, Publix, sells it as well. Thanks for the review of it. I’ll have to pick some up next time I need to refill on K-Cups!

These brownies are uber fantastic and so easy to make since they are made using brownie mix. I love it! Pinned. Have a great weekend, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Julie!! You too!

13. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on June 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm (#)

So chewy and decadent!! Great brownies!! Haven’t tried Gevalia yet… Familiar with the commercials though.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:55 am

Thanks so much!

14. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on June 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm (#)

Coffee baked into brownies and two flavors in one, with the white and dark, and the two textures, this is so perfect for me!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am

Me too. I. Need. More. Coffee. Thanks Averie!

15. Tahnycooks posted on June 14, 2013 at 4:25 am (#)

I love anything with a shortbread crust! Yum! brownies with a crust and frosting…..WINNNNNER!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am

Yes, shortbread is good with anything!! :)

16. Lizzy T posted on June 14, 2013 at 5:12 am (#)

Shortbread crust…on brownies?? That sounds perfect!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am

It totally is!! :)

17. tanya posted on June 14, 2013 at 7:18 am (#)

I love the crust, oh my gosh!!! I bet Jordan had a pretty darn good time with her grandparents! And I know what you mean, I always tell people they don’t have to bring anything either. Like you, I have a theme in my had and have it all worked out!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am

Thanks Tanya!! :)

18. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on June 14, 2013 at 7:52 am (#)

So intrigued by these delicious looking brownies, Dorothy! They look perfect for indulging!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:53 am

Thanks Georgia, they so totally are. And I did. Quite a bit!

19. Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:18 am (#)

I LOVE the idea of adding a crust to brownies!! It’s totally something that takes them up a notch!!

And I can TOTALLY relate to your control ways…. Whenever I plan anything, I’m the EXACT same way. I tell people just bring your smiling faces and they still show up with stuff!! I’m like, I had this perfect menu planned and what am I going to do with your nana’s auntie’s best friend’s dish? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:53 am

LOL, so true.:) I’m glad I’m not the only one!

20. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:42 am (#)

These look almost too good to eat! Almost…

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 10:53 am

Thanks Jamie!

21. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on June 14, 2013 at 11:24 am (#)

I can totally relate – I’d much rather host and am a total control freak! :) These brownies sound great! Coffee flavor is one of the best!

22. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on June 14, 2013 at 11:52 am (#)

I love crust on anything but never had it on brownies. I want to change that now!!

23. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on June 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm (#)

Whenever 3pm comes around, I always need some coffee and something sweet. I think this brownie fits the bill for both cravings!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Meghan! Happy Birthday!

24. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on June 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm (#)

OOOOH! Crust on a brownie sounds fantastic! Great idea!

25. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on June 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm (#)

These look so tasty! I wish I could take a big ole bite!!!

26. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on June 14, 2013 at 6:23 pm (#)

Okay . . . but if I’m coming, can you just TELL me the theme, and then I will find something ABSOLUTELY perfect to go with?? No? Okay, I understand. I’m a total control freak too. And unless you want me to hand you a recipe, you really shouldn’t bother, lol! These look delicious, Dorothy! And I LOVE that they have crust!

27. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on June 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm (#)

You’re right, these are to die for! I love it paired with the buttery shortbread crust! Yummy!

28. Nancy P@thebittersideofsweet posted on June 14, 2013 at 9:05 pm (#)

These brownies look fabulous! Love how they have a crust AND frosting!

29. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on June 15, 2013 at 10:19 am (#)

Parties are the best! So fun to host and so fun to be at! I’m going to have to try that frosting . . . and shortbread crust. It all sounds sooooooo good!

30. Cookie posted on June 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm (#)

Brownies are my greatest weakness! Most of my family actually likes the crunchy edges; my aunt used to work at a nursing home and the kitchen staff would save all the brownie edges for her. I think she had a whole stockpile in the freezer. I’m more of a gooey center kind of girl though. Nothing beats a soft, warm, fudgey brownie, especially if it’s topped with peanut butter!
    I’ve never really heard of brownies with a crust, so I’ll have to tuck this idea away for a day when I need some inspiration. Looks great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks! I’m all about the crust. And sprinkling the crunchy edges on ice cream!

31. Liz posted on June 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm (#)

Oh, my. These look terrific.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Liz!

33. Ash- foodfashionparty posted on June 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm (#)

I agree, coffee makes chocolate a gazillion times better. Liked your recipe a lot.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Ash!

34. Laura R. posted on July 23, 2013 at 12:15 pm (#)

True quote from earlier today “Start making the second batch.” This was from my nephew after he took just one bite. Any time I need a new recipe, yours is the first site I go too! It doesn’t matter if I need something for my Airman nephew in Montery or his 13 year old brother here in PA, I can always find a simply scruptious, easy to follow goodie. Thank you!

35. Pingback: Chocolate Swirl Zucchini Bread | The Recipe Critic