Dec 30

Caramel Potato Chip Bark

Jordan thinks that her doll, Jenny, is her daughter. That’s how she refers to her, as “her daughter.” Deep down, I think she knows that Jenny is just a doll…but don’t you dare let her hear you say that out loud.

She’s never really been SO attached to any one thing before. We got lucky when she was a baby – all those loads of beautiful baby blankets we got for her sat, unused, in her closet while she sucked her thumb and clutched her beloved baba (pronounced “bubba”) which was, in reality, a cloth diaper I had bought several packs of during her first year of life when my clothes, my hair, and my couch was covered in spit-up.

The biggest problem we had with the babas was when Gerber changed the weave of the cloth diaper, around age 2. From then on, we had a dozen babas and we treated them like precious gold. Only a few remain.

But…back to the doll, er, my granddaughter. She goes everywhere with us. And I mean everywhere. Mel sometimes takes Jordan to dance class and holds Jenny on his lap. At her recital last week, my husband took a certain amount of heckling from the other dads…asking how his doll is, and did he have his doll with him.

At this point, Jenny is looking a bit rough. We are planning to stop at the American Girl store when we are in Southern California next summer, because she needs her ears pierced, to match Jordan. (Seriously. I am not kidding.) And, I have a feeling Jenny is also going to need a beauty shop consult as well. Her hair is becoming…unruly.

I can only assume that the next thing Jordan will want to do with her daughter is bake.

Because chocolate and butter go so well with synthetic hair and body stuffing.

Have you ever made dessert with potato chips? No? You need to start. NOW. I’ve been wanting to make the leap forever, especially since seeing my friends Sally and Hayley make cookies. Ashton made fudge with caramel and chocolate and potato chips…and I’m figuring that’s where this came to my brain from. Because it’s her fudge…in bark form.

I love making bark. LOVE. It’s so easy and fast and it’s delicious. Potato chips and chocolate and caramel make this totally addicting. Like…I’m so addicted to chips and chocolate that I can NEVER buy chips again ever. Because, you know me. The next thing I’ll be doing is melting chocolate chips and dunking the chips in it.

Or maybe that’s okay? Like Jordan calling me grandma on a daily basis?

Caramel Potato Chip Bark

Caramel Potato Chip Bark

• 30 Caramel Kisses, chopped
  • 1 bag milk chocolate chips
  • 1 bag white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits
  • 2 cups potato chips, broken (but not too small)

1. Assemble all your ingredients before starting. Line a large cookie sheet with wax paper.
  2. Melt milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread in a thin layer on your cookie sheet.
  3. Sprinkle with Caramel Kisses, toffee bits, and potato chips.
  4. Melt white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread on top of chips. Place in refrigerator to harden. Break into pieces and serve.

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ LunaSweet Treats SaturdayChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

46 Responses to “Caramel Potato Chip Bark”

1. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on December 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm (#)

Um, I am IN LOVE with this. That gooey pocket of caramel seeping out, screaming “LICK ME!!” next to a salty potato chip on a boat of chocolate? I need. Also, I lol’d at J calling you grandma. I always talk to Mannie and call myself his mother, but when MY mom wants to see Mannie, I get all awkward like, I don’t want to call you grandma, but you kind of are.. haha. #firstworldproblems

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Ha! Glad I’m not the only one. :)

2. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on December 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm (#)

My niece has a blanket which is now in two parts she won’t get rid of…

I have never tried chips and chocolate yet… these do look dangerously delicious.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Ha, I STILL have baggies of my blankie from my childhood! They are dangerous – very much so!

3. Dianna posted on December 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm (#)

Um, YES. You totally “one-uped” my Milk Chocolate Potato Chip Bark from last month. That caramel… droooool.
    I hear those American Girl dolls are quite the trend! I used to read the books when I was in elementary school. I’m sure my parents are thankful that the dolls & all their accoutrements didn’t come out until a bit later. :)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I would have devoured yours! Chocolate + chips = HEAVEN!!!! :)

4. Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More posted on December 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm (#)

Wow! I love sweet and salty combos, I’m sure I’d love this. Better try it!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Oh, you must. It’s SO good!

5. DeAnna posted on December 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm (#)

Ohhhhhh that sounds good . By the way there is lots of tips on Pinterest and such on way to fix up them special granddaughters. Like how to make the hair good as new… :-) might be worth a look, Happy New Year.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I just found it, thank you! Downey…who knew? Jenny’ll have her own product line. :)

6. Kristin posted on December 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

At least she’s getting as much use as she can out of that doll! (Would you ever buy her another? Or would she even ask?)
    I think combining potato chips and caramel is genius.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I don’t ever want to buy another, no. She’s never asked…and I’m hoping the new “girl of the year” is not a pop/rock/hip hop star… ;)

7. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on December 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm (#)

Heaven help me Dorothy! I’m trying to watch what I eat! Pinned anyways ;)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hee hee, I watch what I eat too…as I’m eating it!

8. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on December 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#)

Oh my gosh. The caramel dripping out! I can’t even tell you how much I love Caramel Hershey Kisses :) As Guy would say, “On point!”

(Can you tell food network is back in my life? ;) )

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Totally. I don’t know how you’ve existed so long without it! :)

9. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on December 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm (#)

haha! At least she is definitely getting your money’s worth out of the doll right? My daughter has one that has helped us “bake” before in their matching aprons. I think its adorable that your husband will sit with it on his lap at dance class….dad of the year points to him for sure!!! And chocolate and chips…best ever! I love sweet and salty desserts the most :-)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I need to get Jordan and Jenny and Grandma matching aprons. That would be a hoot! Thanks Jocelyn!

10. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on December 31, 2012 at 4:50 am (#)

aw that is so cute! My kid has a hand made minion from despicable me, he calls him George and he loves that thing! And chocolate and chips is practically better than anything else.

11. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on December 31, 2012 at 5:34 am (#)

glad you jumped on the potato chip bandwagon Dorothy! I don’t think i’ll ever hop off of it. I love sweet/salty and crunchy potato chips mixed with caramel and chocolate just makes sense!!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I am already concocting my next recipe! It’s such a great combo Sally!

12. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on December 31, 2012 at 6:58 am (#)

Oh this looks amazing! Just the right amount of sweet and salty :)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thanks Julie! Happy New Year!

13. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on December 31, 2012 at 8:42 am (#)

No way–this is one of those combos you don’t think of but makes perfect sense! Yum-o!!! And piercing her ears… ha ha that kills me! :)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I know, right? Thanks Summer! Happy New Year!

14. Tiffany/MyCrowdedKitchen posted on December 31, 2012 at 12:25 pm (#)

Happy New Year, Dorothy! This looks fabulous. Such a good daddy to keep Jordan’s daughter on his lap. ;) Hope your year is filled with many blessings!

15. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on December 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm (#)

Oh. My. Word. My salty/sweet tooth is going crazy over this! I am a chip aholic and I bet they are fabulous combined with chocolate!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Totally! Thanks Stephanie!

16. tanya posted on December 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm (#)

What’s wrong with dipped potato chips in chocolate??? It’s genius! What a perfect bark. Salty, sweet, easy, fun and delicious. I love hearing my Jordan and her baby! I didn’t know you could go get dolls ears pierced! I’m just not up on the American Girl stuff! I have lots to learn! For now, I’ll just eat chips and chocolate. Happy New Year!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Ha, thanks Tanya! Happy New Year to you too!

17. JulieD posted on January 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm (#)

Love the salty and sweetness of this bark! Genius!!

18. Pingback: Potato Chip Caramel Bark | Crazy for Crust

19. Holly Lefevre posted on January 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm (#)

Potato chips, toffee, caramel….trouble. YUM!

20. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on January 2, 2013 at 3:39 pm (#)

O.M.G. I need to get on this potato chip candy thing, ’cause this stuff looks awesome. Dangerous, but awesome. And I’m laughing at your doll story. With a little boy, we don’t get to play with dolls, but Doodle keeps telling me about what he’s going to do when he “gets” a baby. It’s sort of giving me heart palpitations.

• crazyforcrust replied on January 2nd, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Totally, absolutely dangerous!!! Get a baby, I think that’s a hint for you, lol!

21. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on January 4, 2013 at 7:51 am (#)

At least Jenny is a real doll and not a creepy imaginary friend. I think I could sit and eat all this bark at one time! I have a recipe from my Grandma’s called Refrigerator Potato Chip Cookies. They are killer!

22. HungryLittleGirl posted on January 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm (#)

Oh my goodness, another week of you making me speechless! This looks so mouthwatering. The drooling caramel makes me lick my screen!
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza – hope to see you there again this week with more deliciousness :)

23. DJ@DJ's Sugar Shack posted on January 7, 2013 at 10:06 pm (#)

I don’t allow myself to buy bags of chips; if I do I will eat the ENTIRE bag in one sitting and not even notice until it’s empty. I have a feeling that the same thing would happen if I made this bark…which I will because it sounds awesome!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 8th, 2013 at 6:16 am

Totally would. Happened to me! :) Thanks DJ!

24. Pingback: Zucchini Cinnamon Rolls - Crazy for Crust