Aug 08

Caramel Apple Pretzels

Yesterday Jordan and I had a girls day at the mall. We picked out her “first day of school” outfit.

I am still having a hard time with the fact that one, there is less than two weeks of summer left, and two, I’m going to have a second grader.

SECOND grade. Which we all know is, like, three days from High School. {By the way she already acts, I think we may be even closer than that.}

She’s seven and a half. Which is almost eight. Which is almost a Tween. And after that is Teen, when she will refuse to talk to me and her only “words” will be eye rolls.

Hello, Father Time? Will you slow the heck down please? Thanksmuch.

I figure I only have a few more years of “cutesy things” left. Things like showing her a dress at Old Navy that has a zebra on it and her grabbing it from me and insisting I buy it. Or holding my hand in a parking lot. Or allowing me to make cute back-to-school gifts to give her teacher.

{You know, before she’s too cool to do those things and I have to do them behind her back or threaten that I won’t think she loves me anymore if she won’t hold my hand.}

So I figured I best get as much in as possible, before it all goes away. I bought her the zebra dress. And then I made apples for her teachers.

I must say, these apples gave me a pain in my head. I love the way they ended up. But they were not what I originally envisioned. The idea for the red pretzels came from Party Pinching. But you know me. I have to do MORE. I can’t be happy with just some cute red pretzels that look like apples.

The “MORE” ended up with two failed recipes and a second batch of pretzels.

But I’m happy with these. They’re good.

And make me want Fall.

Pretzels dipped in caramel. Dipped in red candy melts. Topped with a green “stem.”

Perfect for back-to-school.

They’re small. So if your kid is past “cute,” just hide them in his supply box. He’ll never know.

Are you excited for back to school?

Caramel Apple Pretzels

• 28 small twisted pretzels
  • 1/2 bag red candy melts
  • Green pliable candy (such as Airheads)
  • 1 cup caramel bits (you could also use square caramels, unwrapped)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Set aside.
  2. Cut green Airhead in small strips, roll in to a thin rope, and then cut again in small sections to create apple stems.
  3. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat/roul’pat or parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray. (I used wax paper and they stuck bad! When I switched to my roul’pat I had no problems.)
  4. Melt caramel and heavy cream together in microwave on 30 second intervals, for about 1 minutes, stirring in between. Stir until smooth. Dip pretzels in caramel, tapping off excess. Place on prepared cookie sheet and freeze until hardened about 10 minutes.
  5. Preheat an electric griddle over very low heat (about 200 degrees). Top with a folded kitchen towel. (I do this to keep my melts warm so I don't have to keep reheating them. You can skip this step.) Melt candy melts according to package directions, and place bowl on warm griddle to keep it from hardening. Dip pretzels in candy, tapping off excess. Place on cookie sheet. Place a stem on half of the dipped pretzels, to resemble apples. Chill until hardened.

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI’m Lovin’ it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

84 Responses to “Caramel Apple Pretzels”

1. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm (#)

These are so cute! I was instantly jealous of this idea when you told me about it on Sunday. So genius! And of course, I love your caramel addition–so Dorothy of you, but entirely apropos :) Jordan is a crack-up and since she has an awesome, hot mama ;) who bakes awesome treats, there’s no way she’ll be all eye-rolly. She’ll probably be showing you off as much as she can. After all, your house will be the party house!

2. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 8, 2012 at 6:18 pm (#)

These are adorable. I’d like someone to make them for me so I can eat them all up!

3. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on August 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm (#)

love it. will be doing it. will be hiding it this year as you said, my Sophia is hypersensitive to my “cuteness” factor these days.

4. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on August 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm (#)

Yum, I love caramel and pretzels together! And they are so cute. You made me realize that I am really lucky…my sweet Ellany will probably never grow out of her cutesy stage. She has the personality of Snow White and is going to be the sweetest, most non-sarcastic teenager you ever met. It makes me happy just thinking about it. :0)

5. micki @ ADD housewife posted on August 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm (#)

this is positively adorable. My girls would have so much fun making these! I’d love for you to share at Pin Inspiration Thursday http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/08/pin-inspiration-45.html

6. Lizzy Do posted on August 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm (#)

Rats, my kids are way past cute and my youngest will be going off to college next week…sniff, sniff. But I’d still be willing to make these double dipped gems for myself!

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm (#)

omg these look so good! I have a pretzel recipe coming up and we’ve sworn them off for at least 1 week as a family…lol b/c we have been addicted to the salty/sweet – and now, I want yours!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 9th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Averie! I’m not sure if I could swear off these, ha!

8. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on August 8, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#)

These are adorable!! I love the combination of caramel and apples…yummm :)

9. Sara posted on August 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm (#)

The school district where I live starts school tomorrow, so I suggest you be glad that you have two more weeks.

10. Kristin posted on August 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm (#)

One more week for me..
    I notice a huge change in kids from the beginning of 4th grade to the end of 4th grade. When I get them, they’re all about their cartoons and dresses with zebras. By the end of the year, it’s all that Justin Bieber crap. So. You’ve got at least another year or two.

11. Lindsay Ann @ Dollhouse Bake Shoppe posted on August 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm (#)

Love this, Dorothy! Such a creative and yummy treat idea for back to school!!!

12. Winnie posted on August 9, 2012 at 5:42 am (#)

These are wonderful Dorothy
    I’d looooooove to make them, so I’ll have to figure out what kind of candy I should use. We have here different kinds than yours

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 9th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

You can use white melts and color them red! And any caramels will do. :)

• Winnie replied on August 10th, 2012 at 3:20 am

Thanks. I will try to find something…. not so easy though

13. Mrsblocko posted on August 9, 2012 at 6:11 am (#)

I’ve got a soon to be second grader as well. I feel your pain. The eye rolling has already begun!

These little pretzel treats are super cute. I’m sure even the most eye rolliest”oh mom”kids would enjoy them!

14. Anonymous posted on August 9, 2012 at 6:49 am (#)

I’m confused. What is the griddle and folded up towel used for? Do you put the cookie sheet on top of it?

• Anonymous replied on August 9th, 2012 at 8:41 am

Me too!! not sure if I am just missing a step or what??

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 9th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh, sorry! I use it to keep the candy warm (or the caramel). That way it doesn’t harden while I’m working with it. :)

15. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on August 9, 2012 at 6:50 am (#)

aw so cute, I so don’t want school to start, like this month he gets braces, and then 3rd grade then he turns 8 in another month. I keep telling him if he gets big and won’t hug me any more I will have to turn into a cat lady, but with dogs, I don’t like cat as much.

16. Sue posted on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 am (#)

These are so cute! The shape is definitely an apple! Yo’re so creative, Dorothy:)

• Sue replied on August 9th, 2012 at 9:30 am

*You’re:)

17. Sue posted on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 am (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

18. Back for Seconds posted on August 9, 2012 at 9:37 am (#)

These are the cutest! Such a great idea!
    I am totally dreading the day when my girl starts school. I get weepy just thinking about it. If you figure out how to freeze time, please let me know!
    Now I’m sad…I need a pretzel,

19. Susan posted on August 9, 2012 at 10:07 am (#)

How perfect–you just blow me away with your creativity! XOXO

20. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on August 9, 2012 at 10:46 am (#)

These are such a great idea! So creative!

21. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 9, 2012 at 11:21 am (#)

Absolutely adorable! You know I’m a sucker for pretzel-y sweets. I love sweet and salty! I kinda wish I was teacher receiving these. :)

22. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on August 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm (#)

what a fabulous idea! I never would have thought to dip in caramel first. You are a clever lady! Abby starts 2nd grade this year too an I’m with you. However in our house, the eye rolls have already started :(

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 9th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Karen! Yeah, eye rolling will be here soon, I just know it.

23. Angela posted on August 9, 2012 at 1:06 pm (#)

They are adorable–and the caramel seems essential. So clever!

24. Erin posted on August 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm (#)

Okay, these are totally awesome! I will be making these for school for sure. And forget my kids! I’m taking them! (I work in a middle school. I’ll forever like cutesy things.) My daughter is going into 2nd grade as well and it’s freaking me out. Where did the time go?!?!

25. K Coake posted on August 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm (#)

What a cute and yummy idea!

26. Heather Kinnaird posted on August 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm (#)

what a seriously cute idea! I am SO looking forward to fall but I am not quite ready for the crazy back to school schedule, and the fact that my son is now a middle schooler – I know I cannot possibly be old enough for that.

27. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on August 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm (#)

Very very cute idea!

28. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on August 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm (#)

Oh my goodness, these are SO cute! What a great idea for back to school! I hear you–Doodle starts kindergarden next week and I’m having SUCH a hard time with it! Sniff, sniff!

29. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on August 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm (#)

This is such a cute idea!!!

30. Stephanie Brandt posted on August 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm (#)

I would LOVE to have you guest post on my blog about these! I have http://www.debtfreespending.com. Just email me at steph@debtfreespending.com if you are interested! Thanks!!

31. Susan @ Oh My! Creative posted on August 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm (#)

These are so cute – very clever! I am pinning them!

I would love if you would submit it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any of your creative project!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

32. Our Pinteresting Family posted on August 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm (#)

Those are so cute!! Megan

33. Heidi Fowler posted on August 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm (#)

Oh, my goodness! Those look fabulous. I hope you’ll link this up today (or anytime this weekend) at One Creative Weekend on OneCreativeMommy.com.

34. Kate Hansen posted on August 11, 2012 at 7:07 am (#)

These are super cute and sound delicious!

35. Melissa @IWasBornToCook posted on August 11, 2012 at 9:35 am (#)

How adorable! My daughter would love making these.

36. Pamela posted on August 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm (#)

Now how did I miss this!!! I love them, thanks for sharing at Heavenly Treats Sunday!

37. Sweet Bella Roos posted on August 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm (#)

Ahhh my daughter starts kindergarten in two weeks, I don’t even want to think about 2nd grade! These little apples are too cute. Thanks for linking up at Pin It Thursday!

38. Mackenzie posted on August 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm (#)

What a awesome idea! We would love to invite you to join us on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know my readers would love your awesome ideas! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)

39. Me And My Sweets posted on August 12, 2012 at 11:41 am (#)

Hi!

I would love you to join My Sweet Party and the theme for August is Childhood favourites. Check it out:

Cheers!

40. Jocelyn posted on August 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm (#)

Why do our kids insist on growing up so fast??? I agree time needs to stand still!!! I love the cute apple pretzels…and caramel in them…YUM!!!

41. Heidi posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

This is so cute, and looks like it would be really addictive. Yum!

42. Kaylee posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm (#)

I was already planning on making the original version for my fellow teachers as we head to workdays this week but seeing your version, I will clearly need to add some caramel!

43. The Better Baker posted on August 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm (#)

Just darling! I bet every teacher wants to have Jordan in their class….if for no other reason, but for the awesome goodies you shower on them. Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck.

44. Jen @ Jens Favorite Cookies posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:22 am (#)

I totally LOVE this idea! I have a weak spot for pretzels dipped in stuff.

45. Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com posted on August 14, 2012 at 4:04 am (#)

I am happy you kept trying with these , they look so cute!!! I have 3rd grader and sometimes I look at her and think “holy crap, she’s not little anymore”!! It goes so fast! I’m totally dreading those tweener years.

46. cupsbykim posted on August 15, 2012 at 9:21 am (#)

Just found out who Aiden’s teacher is last night. I have 1 week left until 2nd grade! Ugghhh!! How did this happen!! I can’t wait to make these for his teacher. In fact I think I’m going to whip some up for his past 2 teachers too!

47. Katie Drane posted on August 19, 2012 at 6:42 am (#)

These are so cute! I have never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing on the Terrific Tuesdays link party!

Katie Drane

48. carolyn smith posted on September 6, 2012 at 7:55 am (#)

Did i miss a step? What is the electric griddle used for?

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 11:52 am

Sorry about that! I fixed the recipe. I use the griddle to keep my candy melts warm. Guess y’all can’t read my mind. :)

49. sarah posted on September 6, 2012 at 12:58 pm (#)

HELP!
    what are red candy melts?

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Wilton makes them (and others too, I think). You can find them at Michael’s, Joann’s, and Hobby Lobby, in the baking aisles. They come in lots of colors. Alternately, you can use white melts or almond bark and use candy color (NOT food color) to make the color you want. Wilton makes candy color, also sold at craft stores. :)

50. Pingback: Free Printables for Teacher Appreciation Week {If you give a teacher a...} - Crazy for Crust

51. Pingback: 19 Best Teacher Appreciation Gifts for Men {homemade}