Jul 18

Avocado Popsicles

Dear Avocados,

Oh, dear avocado, why can’t I quit you? You are simply irresistible to me. Every time I pass you at the store I cannot help but buy three of you. I place you on my counter next to the bananas, who grow old and spotty as you disappear as fast as you’re purchased.

See, I used to hate you. Loathe. And then I tried you and it was love at first bite. It started out simple. I put you in salads and mixed you with salsa. Once a week we’d eat an avocado.

But then you became this little nagging voice in my head. “Doooooooroooothhhhyyyy,” you’d call out to me. Enticing. Calling me. My siren song.

Before long I was putting you in as many meals as I could. Substituting you for cheese whenever we ate tacos, which became increasingly often. Making turkey-bacon-avocado sandwiches. Putting you in pasta.

And then…then….you took me to the dark side.

Dessert.

Oh, avocado. First I turned you into a frosting. A sweet, green frosting that shocked everyone who saw you.

Then my friend Jocelyn made you into ice cream. And, oh, was I smitten.

I have so many ideas in my head for you, avocado. Too many.

And then one day I saw an article in People magazine. A little picture of you, dressed as a popsicle.

And not five minutes later I was unearthing my popsicle maker and turning you into one of the sweetest, fruity, and yummiest popsicles ever.

Who knew that mixing you with sugar and vanilla and lime could make you so addicting?

Who knew that my daughter would devour your popsicle without even wondering why it was green?

Oh, avocado. You and I, we were meant to be BFFs.

Thanks for the good times. Please don’t ever leave me.

Love, your #1 fan,

Dorothy

Avocado Popsicles

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 medium avocado
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Heat sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat until sugar is completely melted. Cool completely.
  2. Mash avocado with an avocado masher, mashing out as many lumps as possible. Add lime juice and mash some more. Whisk in vanilla and sugar water. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until hardened. (Makes about 5 regular sized popsicles.)
(Adapted from People Magazine)

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI’m Lovin’ it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

82 Responses to “Avocado Popsicles”

1. Tonii posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm (#)

I have a bowl full of avocados just waiting to be turned into something yummy…I think this is it! What a cool idea, I cannot wait to try it!

2. baking.serendipity posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm (#)

I love that avocados are your siren song…and these popsicles! I’ve seen so many sweeter avocado recipes, and I definitely just need to eat a little less guacamole and make these!

3. Heather Kinnaird posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm (#)

holy cow! totally stealing this recipe:)

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm (#)

I have an avo ice cream recipe on my site (no ice cream maker, just the Vita) and it’s one of my highest viewed recipes ever thanks to pinterest in large part :) But if people only realized how good and creamy frozen avo is, they’d try it. I know you know this already!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on July 19th, 2012 at 6:32 am

Yes! I need to try ice cream. And everything else because it’s all soooo good! Thanks Averie!

5. Carole posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm (#)

Now this, I would never have thought of. It would be great if you would link this in to my Avocado edition of Food on Friday!

I linked in spicy mince lettuce cups to Live.Laugh. Rowe’s linky party. Have a great week.

6. Veronica posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm (#)

These are so intriguing! I love avocado but have been too afraid to put them in desserts! These might be my baby steps…. Thanks :)

7. Michelle posted on July 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm (#)

Avocados are the BEST! must go to the dark side and eat avocado desserts! stealing this recipe idea!

8. Monica Morelli posted on July 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm (#)

Wow, I must try these! I’ve had avocado frosting, but I haven’t ventured any further into the world of avocado desserts.

9. Debby Foodiewife posted on July 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm (#)

A while ago, I made an Avocado Ice Cream. I loved it, but the rest of my family was “meh”. They don’t know any better. I love avocados. I could eat 2-3 of them as guacamole, and call it a complete meal. These sound awesome.

10. Susan posted on July 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm (#)

Once, when we lived in California years ago, we went to the Avocado Festival in Carpinteria and had everything (I mean everything) with avocado in it–including ice cream. It’s wonderful and so healthy for you–not to mention what a beautiful color! Great recipe, XOXO

11. Hayley posted on July 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm (#)

Okay, now you made me regret not trying this at your house! Hope you have some left because now I want one forreals. My love affair with avocado needs to grow darker, beyond the usual salads/guac/sandwich placement. Take me to the dark side, Dorothy!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on July 19th, 2012 at 6:33 am

Yes, you must, must go to the dark side. Hang out with me…I’ll take you there sometime. :)

12. erin - mutterings of eringirl posted on July 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm (#)

Is it ridiculous that the first thing I thought was, “this needs tequila?”

Oh shoot, alcohol doesn’t freeze, right? Or does it?

13. Julie E posted on July 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm (#)

I have to try these Popsicles. I have some Amazon gift cards burning a whole in my pocket and I think Popsicle molds are now a must have.

14. Jocelyn posted on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm (#)

Seriously laughing my head off over here…I LOVE YOUR LETTER!!! I could have written this exact same thing:-) I eat avocados all the time. Love the green stuff way too much!!!! I love that you turned them into fun lime avo popsicles…you are awesome:-)

15. Back for Seconds posted on July 19, 2012 at 12:53 am (#)

Amazing! Who woul have thought something so simple would be so delicious? You are the avocado queen, and I love you for i!

16. sugarswings posted on July 19, 2012 at 4:01 am (#)

cool! so what’s it taste like?? love the color!

17. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes posted on July 19, 2012 at 4:35 am (#)

I’m with Jocelyn …. That was so funny! I might try to sneak them past my kiddos! ;)

18. Shannon posted on July 19, 2012 at 5:18 am (#)

These look delicious! I never thought of putting avocado in popsicles but now I might have to because I love them too! Thanks for sharing :)

19. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on July 19, 2012 at 5:55 am (#)

yup, avocados are irresistible to me right now too Dorothy! This popsicles are so unique!

20. Ladies Holiday posted on July 19, 2012 at 7:46 am (#)

I too love avocados! Those look delish and so easy! Plus I love your traditional pop shapes! Reminds me of being a kid! Hello from Mom on a time out hop!

21. Mar [RaisingBean.com] posted on July 19, 2012 at 8:01 am (#)

Yes, yes, YES! You are my hero. I can’t wait to try this recipe. And avacado frosting?? I may have just died a little from being too excited.

Found you from Live Laugh Linky Thursday! & so excited that I did find you :)

Mar

22. Jennifer {Mother Thyme} posted on July 19, 2012 at 8:48 am (#)

I need this in my life, stat! Love, love, love these!

23. Ellen posted on July 19, 2012 at 9:03 am (#)

Wow, these look great!

24. Jen @ Jens Favorite Cookies posted on July 19, 2012 at 9:57 am (#)

Oh, avocados are my siren song too. Only I haven’t baked anything with them, because I can’t stop eating them basically plain! (Just a little salt and lime) LOVE this idea!

25. Winnie posted on July 19, 2012 at 11:36 am (#)

After making Avocado brioche (using the avocado instead of butter), I’m still amazed seeing all these “weird” recipes using avocado.
    But I LIKE IT
    This is something I’d love to try.

26. Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com posted on July 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm (#)

My nephew sells avacado popsicles for an independent popsicle shop here in Cincinnati. I could never envision what an avocado pop would look like! Thank you for not only giving me this picture, but also for the recipe and the extreme urge to have an avocado pop right now!!! This is gorgeous!

27. Lauren @ mercy(INK) posted on July 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm (#)

Oh my word I’ve NEVER heard of avacado in any of these things… how intriguing! So, if you say so… ;) I’ll give it a try!

28. Kristin posted on July 19, 2012 at 8:02 pm (#)

Yum! And healthy-ish??? Maybe. Knowing me, I’d try to sub the sugar with something else.
    These would be great with a green-themed party. (For some reason, “ninja turtle” popped into my head when I saw the picture.)

29. Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry posted on July 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm (#)

I just recently found out that I am allergic to Avocados! I always thought it was normal to have your lips turn slightly numb and tingly when eating the green goodness. Still wont stop me from eating it either… LOVE IT!
    I need to try these popsicles, I have been wanting to create an avocado frozen yogurt! Yum!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on July 20th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh no! I would be crushed. At least the popsicle already turns your mouth a little numb, so you won’t notice it as much. ;)

30. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com posted on July 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm (#)

WHAT! I want one please! Dorothy you need to change your blog name it crazy for avocado. Just a suggestion. Haha! These look so good.. oh my.

31. Tonia L posted on July 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm (#)

That sounds delicious! I had some guacamole today and it was delicious!

32. mary_smith posted on July 20, 2012 at 4:46 am (#)

YUM!

33. Dip It In Chocolate posted on July 20, 2012 at 8:55 am (#)

You crack me up. I admit I’m totally curious as to what they taste like!

34. Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) posted on July 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm (#)

Haha, nice post! Sounds delicious too! Wonder how it would work with honey and stevia?

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on July 20th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I bet it would be awesome! You probably just have to play with it a little to get it a good liquid/sweet/avocado ratio. I’d love to hear if you try it!

35. MJ posted on July 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm (#)

That’s crazy and awesome. I would have never dreamed of using avocado in a popsicle. I think I must try it.

36. Sue posted on July 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm (#)

Cute post, Dorothy:) I love avocados too, which started when I lived near my sister who had a thriving avocado tree! I have made avocado pie many times and it is very tasty! Forgive me if I’ve already told you that. Your popsicles look amazing and I’m sure they are.

37. Something Swanky posted on July 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm (#)

ok. I feel like I already commented, but I don’t see it anywhere, so at the risk of looking dumb and repeating myself, I’m going to comment again…..

These actually look awesome! The frosting and the ice cream scared me, but I can actually imagine these tasting good! Which makes me second guess the ice cream and the frosting. Except I really do think I’d have to have the lime. That seems to be the clincher for me :)

38. Bake-A-Holic posted on July 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm (#)

These popsicles look amazing! I think avocado just adds creaminess or moisture to whatever it’s put in. Plus, it has a mild taste that takes on whatever flavor you add to it. I never considered avocado frosting, but why not?! I just saw a recipe for avocado zucchini bread. Yum!

39. PineappleMama posted on July 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm (#)

woah ! I’ve gotta try this

40. Linda Gangi posted on July 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm (#)

I think I would like these…thanks for sharing.

41. Motivated Mommy of two posted on July 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm (#)

These look and sound so yummy I must try them and report back. Stopping by from the Live Laugh link party

42. Pingback: Ghoulishly Green Halloween | Crazy for Crust

43. Pingback: in season: avocados | Café Zupas

44. Pingback: Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches - Crazy for Crust

45. Mimi Holtz posted on April 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm (#)

Love your avocado posts! I married an avocado farmer in California and raised 4 kids on the ranch…now our kids are working with us too! Hoping you look for California avocados in your stores…and if you can’t find them, order some from our farm! http://www.CaliforniaAvocadosDirect.com. I’m going to keep following your avocado adventures!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 29th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I’ll so be doing that. Be sure to come back tomorrow, I’ve got another avo post!!!

46. Pingback: Sweet Guacamole Dip with Pie Crust Tortilla Chips - Crazy for Crust

47. Mary. posted on April 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm (#)

You should be the new spokesperson for the california Avocado board! Hey dorothy, where did you get those popsicle molds from?

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 6:19 am

I know! I wish I was. :) Those were from Williams Sonoma forever ago. I think they also have them on Amazon!!

• Mary. replied on May 1st, 2013 at 7:06 am

I’m having problems with my laptop. So I post my comments from my smart phone.

48. Pingback: Coconut Kiwi Popsicle & FOOD FIGHT: Ice Cream vs Fruit Pops - Will Cook For Smiles

49. Hajer posted on June 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm (#)

Hi. I would love to try these but I was wondering what can I use to replace the sugar and still have the amazing taste? And in what quantity? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 12th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

If you want to use a sugar-free substitute, you totally can. Check the substitution equivalents of the brand you’re using. :)

50. Georgina Kovacik posted on June 26, 2013 at 10:42 am (#)

When I was growing up in Mexico, we use to drive to a ranch that my parents’ friends had, in the way we would stop in a small village to buy Popsicles and they had avocado Popsicles and I loved them, that was maybe 25 years ago and I haven’t had one since, I am so excited to have come across this recipe and to have all the ingridients in hand! I am making this today! Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Enjoy them Georgina! I’m glad they brought back memories for you!

51. Cathy @ Lemon Tree Dwelling posted on July 18, 2013 at 1:18 pm (#)

I am so with you! I adore avocados like none other….and it honestly seems to make everything better!!

52. Pingback: 18 Cool Delicious Popsicles | Style Motivation

53. Pingback: Avocado Popsicles | Jen and Ali

54. ashley posted on November 10, 2013 at 10:46 pm (#)

Made these today & was pleasantly surprised. . Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 11th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I know, it’s kind of weird, that first bite huh? And then you’re all…wow. This doesn’t taste like guac! :)

55. Pingback: Pineapple Jalapeno Popsicles - The View from Great Island

56. Pingback: 10+ refreshing fruity popsicle recipes - Kiddie Foodies

57. Linda posted on August 3, 2014 at 7:29 am (#)

wow!!!!!!!!!!!wow!!!!!! i have stumbled on treasure!! an Avocado Popsicle!!!
    oh you have done it all my hands are just shaken in excitement can’t wait to get to the market to get
    more avocados to try this recipe!! i never won’t to stumble but i’m glad i stumble on you!!!! (avocado Popsicle)

Thank you again!