Mar 07

Deep Dish Thin Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s softball season. Jordan is playing for the first time this year.

After getting the game schedule and putting two games per week through May into my calendar, it became painfully obvious that I do not like softball.

We all know that I am not a sporty person, right? That I’m not much for the outdoors? That the hour a day I spend exercising is inside a gym?

That, given the choice between spending the day playing at the park or spending the day with a fat novel and watching The Real Housewives, the ladies of the O.C. would win, hands down?

There are two games per week. Two practices per week, which may (or may not) overlap with games. That is three or four days per week that I will be sitting in a field. Which is three or four days per week too long to be communing with nature, if you ask me.

Getting myself prepared for practice is a whole event in itself. Even if it’s 70 degrees during the day, do you know how cold it gets when it hits 5:00 and the sun starts to go down?

After I’m finished putting on my turtleneck, sweater, jacket, scarf, gloves, head wrap, and Uggs, I often get confused about whether I’m heading to practice or up the hill to hit the slopes.

And games start at 5:30 on school nights. Um, when am I supposed to feed my kid dinner? 4:00? Because there’s no way I’m waiting until after the game. That’s when they get their “snack,” which is probably either a token to the snack bar where she’ll undoubtedly go for a pack of M&Ms, or that crazy dessert blogger lady* will bring cookies shaped like baseballs made in a whoopie pie pan with brownie bats attached. That might be my choice for dinner, but not one I can really (acceptably) give Jordan.

Ah, well. At least she likes softball. Now that she knows where first base is and that you have to run to it when you hit, it’s going pretty well for her. (Did I mention this is her first time playing? And she missed a whole week of practice when she was sick? Watching her first scrimage was…interesting.)

I’ll just have to make sure that I have plenty of these types of easy, 2-ingredient treats at the ready when I get home from all that practice. Because sitting in the field is exhausting.

When I say 2-ingredient, I mean it. These cookies are probably the easiest things ever to make.

Cookie dough and Thin Mints. Or, gifts from the Gods.

I found a whoopie pie pan on clearance at Sur la Table. When does that happen? It was a sign from above. If you don’t have a whoopie pie pan, you can make this big using a pizza pan or a jelly-roll pan and then cut it into slices.

Wish me luck over the next few months. In order to survive it I may need to buy a flask.

*Um, that would be me.

These cookies were featured at Parent Map in their 15 Mother’s Day Treats! Go check out the list of great ideas.

Deep Dish Thin Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1 tube refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
  • 12 Thin Mints, coarsely chopped
  • Whoopie Pie pan (Wilton) or a pizza pan or jelly roll pan

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Whoopie Pie Pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Cut slices of cookie dough, about 1/2" thick. Press into each whoopie pie cavity of your pan.
  3. Press the coarsely chopped Thin Mint cookies on top of the cookie dough.
  4. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until edges of cookies are slightly browned. Let cool completely before removing from pan.
  5. Note: if you do not have a whoopie pie pan, you can use a pizza pan or a jelly roll pan. Press the entire tube of cookie dough into the large pan, then sprinkle with the chopped Thin Mints and press them into the dough. It will take longer to bake this way. Cool, then cut into slices.
adapted from Rachael Ray magazine
Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
These are the fabulous parties I link to each week:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsCreative Monday (Clairejustineoxox), Mix it Up Monday (Flour Me With Love), Things that make you say mmmm Monday (Cooking with Karyn), Mop it Up Mondays (I should be mopping the floors), Show me what you got (Our Delightful Home). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy’s Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), Let’s Do Brunch (My Sweet & Savory), Love on High HeatWednesdayMrs. Fox’s Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox’s Sweets), Cast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain), Famous Linkz Par-tay (Made-Famous-By), Bakes with Bizzy (Bizzy Bakes), From Dream to Reality (DIY Dreamer), Whip it Up Wednesday (Crockpot Ladies).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents), Taking a Timeout Thursday (Mom on Timeout), Things I’ve Done Thursday (BearRabbitBear), (RHW Recipe Round-Up) The Real Housewives of Riverton, BFF Open House (The Answer is Chocolate), Recipe Round Up (Eat, Pray, Read, Love). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I’m Lovin’ it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Bacon Time, Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog), Foodie Friday (Not Your Ordinary Recipes), Dwell on JoyFun Finds Friday (Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons), Sugar and SpiceSaturdayCountry Mom CooksSweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos), You inspire me (Polka Dot Pretties). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters’ Stuff), Recipe Party (The Sweet Spot), Seasonal/Occasional Linkys: Moms Crazy CookingSouthern Mom CooksCheap Crafty MommaSusie QTSpringtime Holiday Link Party (Michelle Paige)

64 Responses to “Deep Dish Thin Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on March 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm (#)

We just signed my 4-year old up for t-ball, and I’m already dreading the sitting outside part. Yeah, I’ll be the crazy blogger lady, for sure–but at least it will be a good place to pawn off all of the desserts I can’t eat myself.

And these?? These look fabulous! I guess I need to get a whoopie pan!

2. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on March 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm (#)

we are doing tennis twice a week with Abby, but unlike you it’s my sport :) So good luck! these cookies, genius!

3. Cara @ The Boys Made Me Do It posted on March 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm (#)

I haven’t bought ANY girl scout cookies this year but these cookies just convinced me to go get some!

4. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on March 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm (#)

Two cookies in one! I love it!

Good luck with the softball! I’m with you, NOT a sporty girl. You get “good mommy” points for taking her to all those practices/games. :0)

5. Amy posted on March 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm (#)

wozers… just going to get a cloth to wipe the drool off my keyboard!

6. Jenna posted on March 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm (#)

The softball will grow on you – I promise! That first hit from a coach pitch that gets her to a base will seal the deal! Allie has taken to pitching, which totally took us by surprise, but she loves it and is oddly calm on the mound! Right there with you on the softball themed treats! I am sure the team will quickly see your amazing talent – thank you for sharing this fun and EASY recipe! Now I guess I have to buy some Thin Mints! (-:

7. Angi posted on March 8, 2012 at 5:47 am (#)

I feel your pain! My youngest is in baseball. I especially LOVE the games that they have at 7:45 on a school night. NOT!

Thanks for this recipe…now I have no choice but to go and make it. My butt will love you for it :)

8. The Better Baker posted on March 8, 2012 at 8:25 am (#)

You are just brilliant! My mouth is watering viewing your delightful cookie pile. MMMMM!

9. Hayley posted on March 8, 2012 at 8:34 am (#)

Ohhhh man, you took me back to days where I’d have to attend my brother’s little league practices and games which took up most nights and most Saturdays of mine. And I was a bratty teen with horrific allergies who wanted NOTHING to do with baseball, baseball practice or anything remotely sounding like ‘baseball’ so I can empathize with the admitted sudden discomfort with your soon-to-be-devoted time in nature at fields. The best part are the snack bars, though. They have foot-long licorices!!
    Also, I want a whoopie pie pan for this exact purpose. Thin Mints into chocolate chip cookies? I’m dying over here. It just looks so crunchy yet chewy yet PERFECT. I need!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 9th, 2012 at 7:57 am

LOL, I knew that I’d at least have you in my corner Hayley! :) I think the snack bar is going to be my downfall…

10. Kristin@gratefulbelly.com posted on March 8, 2012 at 11:09 am (#)

I love this idea, two of my favorites together! Yummy! I can relate with the sport thing, six of my seven kids have done softball, soccer, tennis, etc. and I know #7 will when he’s old enough. Those dinner time games and practices are a pain! Good luck :)

11. Dulce fresa posted on March 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm (#)

Awesome Idea, I love it!

12. Something Swanky posted on March 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm (#)

These look sooo amazing!

13. SerenaB posted on March 8, 2012 at 4:43 pm (#)

These look amazing! I love thin mint cookies! I also so understand the sports thing it makes life so busy! Have a wonderful week and I look forward to reading a few more of your post’s!

14. sallysbakingaddiction.com posted on March 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm (#)

i can’t believe how easy these are! i have a whoopie pie pan, but i haven’t put it to good use yet. I will most definitely be making these!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 9th, 2012 at 8:27 am

Totally easy. I think I’ll be using my pan for deep dish cookies more than whoopie pies! :) Thanks for reading!

15. Amy Cardenas posted on March 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm (#)

Yum!!!! Might have to make these for St. Patty’s Day treats!!! ;)

16. kyleen posted on March 8, 2012 at 8:27 pm (#)

Not a big exercising fan, but I might have to hit the gym a couple more times this week so that I can eat these cookies! They look so epic.

17. Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate posted on March 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm (#)

Wow, that is amazing. I would love one of these right now! Thanks fr linking up to Latest and Greatest!

18. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on March 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm (#)

Man… I have got to get me one of those pans! Deep dish cookies! I’m sold!

19. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on March 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm (#)

Did you seriously put some cookie dough in a whoopie pan with some chopped up thin mints? You are a genius!

20. Jenny Melrose posted on March 9, 2012 at 6:26 am (#)

These look delicious and so easy! I found you at Dwell on Joy. I’m following. Your site is so cute. I host a link party on Wednesdays and would love if you would join in weekly. You can check it out at http://www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-1.html. Thanks for sharing!

21. Alyssa posted on March 9, 2012 at 6:47 am (#)

Oh wow, these look so so good!! They also seem so easy to make, which is great!

22. odetoinspiration posted on March 9, 2012 at 9:06 am (#)

Oooh…That looks yum!!

23. Lue posted on March 9, 2012 at 9:28 am (#)

Oh WOW! I love the thought of deep dish anything with chocolate! You have so many cute things on here! So glad I found a new pinning website!

24. Dip It In Chocolate posted on March 9, 2012 at 10:37 am (#)

Shooooot! Why did I eat all my Thin Mints?

I *just* bought a whoopie pan for some Easter deep dish cookies. These look soo yummy. I hear you on the sports thing… I thought it was all fun and games until I realized I’d have to drive him to and from practice and attend all the games in negative 30 degree weather… Currently rethinking what age we’ll start him in sports.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 14th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Um, -30 degrees? I would not survive it. I can’t wait to see what you make with that whoopie pie pan!!

25. Jocelyn posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm (#)

Cookies this good will totally get you through softball season. Just pack a bag full for every game…the games will start to look way more enjoyable:-)

26. Sue posted on March 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm (#)

Oh, I remember those days..both girls on softball and my boy playing little league. The fields were situated in such a way that they transformed into a wind tunnel! People used to bring sleeping bags to bundle up in!?! Having these cookies with me would have definitely made me forget all about the wind!:)

27. Kristin posted on March 9, 2012 at 9:43 pm (#)

Ugh. We were that family who was at a game or practice (usually more than one) every night of the week. I have no idea what was wrong with my parents to let that happen. We never got to eat dinner together. I blame my over-involvement in elementary/high school for my anti-social tendencies now.
    And first grade is young for it to be starting!

28. Kit @ i-lostinausten posted on March 10, 2012 at 4:51 am (#)

Oh My! These mint chocolate chip cookies look absolutely yummy! My boys will love these goodies! Thanks for sharing! Have a lovely weekend! :)

29. Jelli posted on March 10, 2012 at 7:28 am (#)

Dorothy, I’m over the rainbow. What a greaat cookie combo. Looks wonderful.

30. Deana posted on March 10, 2012 at 9:50 am (#)

Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..have a wonderful weekend:)

31. Laura posted on March 10, 2012 at 11:28 am (#)

I remember my guys playing soccer and being one of those ‘moms’! ;) Thankfully (am I terrible for saying that??) they lost interest in sports. Maybe my daughter will like it, who knows? (I’m praying no!…shhh!)
    Anyways…thanks for the smile, and the recipe! definitely worth a try for my gang!

32. Erin posted on March 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm (#)

I think I could eat abotu 3 of these right now! Delicious!

33. Emily posted on March 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm (#)

super YUM!!! WOW! I saw this on Nifty Thrifty things and just had to stop by. Would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday party this week. http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

34. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love posted on March 12, 2012 at 8:50 am (#)

This looks amazing and so creative! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

35. cupcakesandkalechips.com posted on March 12, 2012 at 11:06 am (#)

Saw this when I was checking out some of the links after I posted o I Am Addicted to Recipes link party. Such an easy and tasty idea!

36. Not Your Ordinary Agent posted on March 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm (#)

Are you kidding me? I am out of drool over here. Wowsa. Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday! Not Your Ordinary Recipes
    Not Your Ordinary Agent

37. Clairejustine posted on March 13, 2012 at 6:24 am (#)

These look soooo yummy,thank you for linking up to Creative Mondays :)

38. Barrett Family posted on March 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm (#)

This recipe looks HEAVENLY! Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

New follower from The REAL Housewives of Riverton recipe link party. I’d love for you to follow my blog back at http://barretts1234.blogspot.com/

Allison

39. Our Delightful Home posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:40 am (#)

This looks amazing!

Mrs. Delightful

40. amy and jesse hudson posted on March 16, 2012 at 11:53 am (#)

Pinned this. Looks awesome! I’d love to see more of what you’ve got, come on back over to this week’s party!

Have a great weekend!

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

41. Addicted to Recipes posted on March 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm (#)

Awesome! Love how easy it is and how yummy they look! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday at Addicted to Recipes! Have a super day!

42. Karyn Tripp posted on March 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm (#)

Wow! Seriously sounds incredible. Thanks so much for linking up this week to Things That Make You Say Mmmmm. I always drool over your recipes.

43. Kaylee posted on March 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm (#)

Thanks so much for linking up to Plan My Menu Monday! These are featured as my favorite recipe from last week. Can’t wait to try them!

Kaylee
    Couponing&Cooking.com

44. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on February 26, 2013 at 6:15 am (#)

I love these cookies. I have been craving something full of gooey chocolate for the past couple of days, I think these would work!
    I hear ya’ My son has football with overlaps a week with baseball. So from the end of May until the middle of July we have 2 practices a week and then games on Sunday. The things we do for our kids!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2013 at 8:56 am

I know, right? Thanks Erin! I want these cookies too!

45. Jenn posted on March 4, 2013 at 10:32 pm (#)

Oh my! These look amazing!! I seem to be on a chocolate mint kick lately!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 5th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Me too! I’m always on that kick, however, lol! Thanks Jenn!

46. Mackenzie posted on March 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm (#)

Oh. My. Goodness. I want these now! AWESOME!
    Mackenzie :)

47. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on March 7, 2013 at 5:41 pm (#)

Delicious and super easy!

48. Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil posted on March 9, 2013 at 6:40 am (#)

Whoa! That’s a delicious combo!!!!

49. Pingback: Thin Mint S'mores - Crazy for Crust