This Oreo cupcake recipe is all about cookies and cream! Chocolate Oreo cupcakes with creamy rich frosting is a decadent homemade dessert that will make all the chocolate fans in your life very happy.
If you’re in love with Oreo Desserts (like my Oreo Cake Roll) then these cupcakes will be your BFF.
Who’s on team Oreo with me? I just love a cookies and cream dessert and these cupcakes are one of my favorites. There’s a whole Oreo baked into the bottom of each chocolate cupcake, crushed cookies in the frosting and each cupcake is topped with cookie for a finishing touch.
Not trying to brag, but this is the best Oreo cupcake recipe from scratch. We’re not taking any shortcuts with this one and it makes a big difference. The cupcakes have a rich chocolate flavor that you can only get by making them from scratch.
Table of Contents
How to Make Oreo Cupcakes
This recipe starts with the cupcake batter which has a lot of the usual ingredient suspects. What makes them special is the buttermilk. There’s a whole cup in the batter and it does a few things to make the cupcakes extra delicious:
- Buttermilk is acidic which reacts with the baking soda. This reaction helps the cupcakes puff up while they bake.
- It also adds a subtle tangy flavor that complements the chocolate. It’s not super noticeable but might have people asking you what the secret ingredient is!
- Buttermilk also acts as a tenderizer and softens the gluten in the flour. Softer gluten means your cupcakes will have a tender and light crumb. That’s the kind of texture you want in a cupcake!
If you don’t have buttermilk, don’t worry – you can make your own. Learn all about how to make buttermilk here.
The batter is as easy as whisking the dry ingredients together in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another and then combining them until the batter is smooth. The batter will be on the thinner side.
For the cookies and cream twist, I like to place a whole Oreo cookie in the bottom of each liner. Pour the batter over the top and, once they’re baked, each cupcake has a cookie surprise inside.
Cookies ‘n Cream Oreo Frosting
And what’s a cookies n’ cream cupcake without frosting? Aren’t cupcakes without frosting just a little sad? Yes, very sad – don’t even want to imagine them without it!
While you wait for the cupcakes to cool, make the frosting. The marshmallow fluff frosting – have I mentioned that detail yet?
Combine butter, shortening and the fluff together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time beating continuously. Mix in the salt and vanilla.
Just at the end, slowly add a little cream (up to one tablespoon) until the frosting is your desired thickness. Then add in some crushed Oreos for a fun OREO frosting!
You can pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes or just plop a dollop on top and smooth it with a knife. Add an Oreo cookie for decoration and they’re ready to serve.
FAQ about the recipe
You could use any sandwich cookie or any Oreo variation!
No – just chop them up for the frosting.
Yes, just mix it up like you normally would, then add an Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner like I call for, and make my frosting.
Store these loosely covered on the counter or in the refrigerator if they’ll be out longer than a few hours. You can also freeze the cupcake and the frosting (before frosted) so you can make them ahead.
Add a pinch to 1/4 teaspoon additional salt, to taste, and it will cut the sweetness.
I love when someone takes a bite and discovers that hidden cookie inside the cupcake! These Oreo cookie cupcakes are all about the cookies and cream – I hope you love them as much as we do!
Other Oreo Recipes:
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Oreo Cupcakes Recipe
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups 347g granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup 63g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups 310g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 119 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 237 ml hot water
- 1 cup 237 ml buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml vanilla extract
- 24 Oreos any flavor
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 7 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 10 Oreos chopped
- Mini Oreos or additional Oreos, for garnish optional
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pans with liners. Place an Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk oil, eggs, water, buttermilk, and vanilla in a large measuring cup or bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake about 13-16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool completely before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Beat the butter, shortening and fluff together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix in salt and vanilla and 1 tablespoon of cream, adding more slowly to get your desired texture. Stir in the chopped Oreos.
- Frost as desired. Top with mini Oreos for garnish!
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
If you love Oreo cookies, you should absolutely try this Oreo Cupcakes recipe! It’s perfect for a fun dessert, to take to parties or enjoy at home for a move night snack. It’s an easy and delicious chocolate cupcake recipe!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: July 19, 2020