This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Hot Chocolate Covered Almonds are an easy candied nut recipe! Hot Cocoa dusted almonds are the perfect gift too.
We’re getting down to the wire – the holiday is almost here! Do you have all your gifts yet?
I’m one of those people that does all her shopping in late November/early December so I’m usually done by mid-month. But then I have two weeks left and watch everyone else shopping and I want to shop more, so I do. Or I get emails about sales so I shop more. Then, what usually happens is the week before the big day I remember 4 people I forgot to get things for.
When you rememberer you need a gift last minute a homemade options is perfect. It’s fast and easy and costs practically nothing. Usually by the week before Christmas my credit card is crying in agony.
These Hot Chocolate Covered Almonds are an easy gift to make and give, but they’re also a delicious snack all year long. Move over boring almonds, hot chocolate almonds are in town!
I’m always looking for ways to jazz up nuts for the holidays, whether it’s making them with coconut or cinnamon sugar. I love giving snack foods like Muddy Buddy Pecans or a Popcorn Snack Mix because they’re so easy and everyone loves them.
This twist on chocolate covered almonds uses hot cocoa mix to coat the nuts. You could use any nuts, like cashews or pecans, but I love almonds. They’re a versatile nut that’s actually good for you!
I love using hot cocoa mix in recipes. I’ve made Hot Chocolate Krispie Treats before and they’re so good! You can use a prepared mix or you can make your own. I have a homemade hot chocolate mix that would be a great recipe to use for these chocolate covered almonds.
With only three ingredients, these hot chocolate covered almonds are the perfect snack or gift!
Tips for making chocolate covered almonds:
- Toast your almonds so that they have that delicious deep nutty flavor.
- Never walk away from the oven or stove when you’re toasting nuts. They burn quickly! Once you smell them they’re done.
- You can use honey or agave in place of the maple syrup.
- Use a cocoa mix you especially like; it’s the main flavor!
- Optional: add some of those mini marshmallows you find in the baking aisle!
- Package these in some cone shaped plastic bags for a great gift idea.
If you’re looking for other nut and snack recipes, check these out:
Hot Chocolate Covered Almonds
- 3 cups almonds whole, unsalted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa mix divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place almonds on a baking sheet and bake for just a few minutes, stirring each minute, until the almonds are lightly toasted. Once you smell them, they’re done. Do not walk away from the oven for any reason or they’ll burn! Nuts go from raw to burned in seconds, so as soon as you smell them, remove them from the oven.
- While the almonds are toasting, place maple syrup in a large bowl. Pour hot almonds into the syrup and stir to coat. Pour 3/4 cup hot cocoa mix over the almonds and stir to coat. Pour nuts onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. Let cool.
- Place remaining hot cocoa mix in a large gallon ziploc bag. Place almonds inside, seal the bag, and shake to coat a second time, just before serving or gifting.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are another favorite!
Make this recipe using my homemade hot cocoa mix!
Last Updated on May 13, 2020