This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Lean ground turkey is cooked with fresh broccoli before you add a simple homemade stir fry sauce that you can make with ingredients from the pantry. Serve it with rice for a quick and delicious meal!
This Ground Turkey Stir Fry is a great dinner that you can make in 30 minutes.
Table of Contents
BEST Easy Ground Turkey Stir Fry
This is one of my go-to dinners because it’s such a fast way to get dinner on the table and you can easily switch up the ingredients to keep it interesting.
I love broccoli stir fry and when you add some ground turkey and a quick sauce you get a pretty healthy dinner that is ready in 30 minutes.
I think the secret to a good stir fry is the sauce – it makes or breaks it! Those bottles of stir fry sauce at the store are convenient and I use them sometimes (mostly when I want Teriyaki Meatballs), but most of the time I like to make my own. It’s so much cheaper and you can control what goes in it, especially the salt.
Here’s the deal: using ground turkey in stir fry is a really easy way to add a protein. It cooks fast, it’s lean, and it’s delicious. If you don’t love it, though, you can substitute ground beef, ground pork or even ground chicken so choose your favorite. The recipe steps are the same no matter what kind you use.
How to make Stir Fry Sauce
The great thing about this sauce is that it goes with lots of things so you can use it for pretty much any kind of stir fry – it’s just a great all-purpose sauce.
- Low-sodium soy sauce – or use regular soy sauce
- Brown sugar – for sweetness, I’ve also use Swerve sugar-free brown sugar
- Ground ginger – or ginger paste, or you can grate your own fresh ginger
- Cornstarch – for thickening
The cornstarch thickens the sauce so when you add it to the hot pan you get a glossy thick sauce within a few minutes. If you like a little heat feel free to add some red pepper flakes to the sauce, too!
Ingredients in Ground Turkey Stir Fry
- Garlic powder – or use fresh garlic
- Ground pepper
- Salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Fresh broccoli florets – cut them bite size
- Sliced yellow onion
- Stir fry sauce
How to Cook Ground Turkey Stir Fry
- Cook the ground turkey in the pan over medium high heat. Break it up with a spatula (or use a potato masher) as it cooks. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Once the meat is cooked through transfer it to a bowl and drain the fat from the pan.
- In the same pan, add some more oil and cook the broccoli and onions until they are crisp-tender. This will take about four to five minutes. While they cook, if you haven’t already, mix up the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pan, let it bubble up and thicken for a few minutes. Add the cooked turkey back to the pan and stir. Serve it up with some rice and you’re done!
Variations for Stir Fry
This broccoli stir fry recipe is a great basic recipe that you can easily customize with different veggies or meat! Like I mentioned, the sauce pretty much goes with everything. Stir fry is also a great way to use up leftover vegetables so here are some ways you can switch it up!
- Snap peas
- Green beans
- Thin-sliced carrots
- Bell peppers
- Red onion or sliced green onions
- Zucchini or yellow squash
- Water chestnuts
- Baby corn
Depending on the vegetable the cook time will vary. For veggies that take longer to cook I usually slice them thin so they cook faster.
Serve plain or with white rice or brown rice, or even cauliflower rice.
No you can use a large skillet – I often use my 12-inch skillet.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can use lean ground turkey (93/7) or I often use 99% fat free turkey.
Use any ground meat you like in this recipe.
Ground Turkey Stir Fry Recipe with broccoli
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or ground beef
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and stir to break it apart. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper, stir. Cook until no longer pink, covering the pan occasionally. Once it’s cooked through, drain the fat and remove the turkey to a plate.
- Replace the pan on the burner and add the oil. Add the broccoli and onion and cook, covered but stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, stir together the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger and cornstarch in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the sauce to the cooked vegetables and cook until it boils and thickens (1-2 minutes). Add the ground turkey back to the pan and stir to warm through and coat with sauce.
- Serve with rice.
Try these other ground turkey recipes:
Easy Ground Turkey Stir Fry with broccoli is one of our favorite easy 30 minute meals. Add ground turkey for protein and a homemade stir fry sauce!
Last Updated on January 24, 2023