This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie is a giant chocolate chip cookie cake in a pie crust – it’s an epic rich and fudgy pie recipe that’s completely from scratch! It’s my original recipe and will become one of the greatest recipes you’ve ever made!
This post is sponsored by Challenge Butter, whose butter is the base of this gooey chocolate chip pie! All opinions are my own.
Table of Contents
- Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Pie
- Can I use a different crust for cookie pie?
- How to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Can I use other chocolate chips?
- What’s the best temperature to serve Chocolate Chip Pie?
- Gooey Cookie Pie FAQ
- Other Favorite Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe Recipe
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
I will never forget the first time I had a slice of gooey chocolate chip cookie pie. It was at a restaurant when I was a teenager and it was AMAZING. The pie crust was perfect and the filling was a giant warm chocolate chip cookie – two of my favorite things in one recipe!
Why you’ll LOVE this pie recipe:
- The butter pie crust is completely from scratch (but you can swap in a pre-made crust).
- The filling is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe that has been loved by millions!
- It stays gooey in the center because of that crust on the bottom – rich as ever!
- It’s a BIG COOKIE IN A PIE CRUST!
- This pie is BETTER than Nestle Toll House Pie!
- Perfect warm, room temperature, with whipped cream, plain or ice cream!
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Pie
Challenge Butter: I always use the best ingredients when I make dessert, and that includes Challenge! You’ll need butter for the pie crust and the cookie filling.
Sugar: Brown and granulated sugar keep the filling sweet and soft.
Egg: Be sure to buy large eggs.
Vanilla: Always buy pure vanilla extract.
Baking Soda: Key to getting that chocolate chip cookie texture.
Salt: Reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon if using salted butter.
Flour: Be sure to measure your flour correctly, and use all-purpose flour.
Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite flavor and brand!
If you’ve been following my blog for any length of time, you’ll know how much I love Challenge Butter. They’re the only butter I use and the only one I grew up eating: my parents have used it for years! Challenge is available nationally and is churned fresh daily from over 400 locally owned dairies that house happy cows. I use their unsalted and salted butter regularly in my kitchen and it tastes the best – no added hormones or fillers or additives.
Can I use a different crust for cookie pie?
I love using my All Butter Pie Crust for this pie – more butter is better! You can also use a pie shell from the grocery story – refrigerated or frozen.
Even more – you can make chocolate chip pie – no crust! Just bake straight in a pie dish.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- I always start my cookies with melted butter. I know many start with softened butter but I find that melted gives it a toffee-like flavor. Plus you don’t need a mixer!
- Once you’ve mixed the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl, add the egg, vanilla, salt and baking soda.
- Stir in the all purpose flour.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Place the cookie dough in the pie shell. I’m using a regular 9-inch pie plate. This recipe is not deep-dish style.
- Bake it on a cookie sheet using a pie shield so the outer crust doesn’t get too brown.
This is one of our FAVORITE pies – it’s the easiest dessert and is like a giant chocolate chip cookie in a pie pan! It makes your house smell amazing and will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Can I use other chocolate chips?
You can vary this recipe as much as you like:
- Use milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate bits
- Switch it up and substitute peanut butter chips!
- Add nuts if you like!
- Make Mint Chocolate Chip Pie by adding Andes mint candy pieces!
What’s the best temperature to serve Chocolate Chip Pie?
I recommend serving this warm with a scoop of ice cream. Next time I’m going to add chocolate sauce or hot fudge! Last week when I made this giant cookie it was all we could do not to eat it. We are huge suckers for warm chocolate chip cookies and this recipe delivers.
Gooey Cookie Pie FAQ
Store this covered with plastic wrap on the counter. You don’t need to refrigerate it.
You can freeze chocolate chip cookie pie whole or freeze slices that have been wrapped in plastic wrap or placed in sandwich bags.
You can skip the crust and just press the chocolate chip cookie dough into a pie plate – but then it’s more of a giant cookie cake, not a pie.
You can make the crust and filling up to 24 hours in advance and assemble the pie. Store it in the refrigerator until baking. Or bake it up to 2 days in advance and store in the refrigerator.
It’s my chocolate chip cookie recipe – it’s been made by millions of people – and is one of my most popular recipes. The chocolate chip cookie dough has a creamy richness of a brown sugar base and is SO delicious.
I recommend baking pies on cookie sheets in case they spill over – that way there is no mess in your oven. Cool it on a wire rack so it cools down faster.
Other Favorite Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Snowballs
- Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Rugelach
- Chocolate Chip Chess Pie
- Chocolate Chip Brookies
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe
- 1 9-inch All Butter Pie Crust or use a store bought crust
- ½ cup (113g) Challenge Unsalted Butter , melted
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (150g) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (255g) chocolate chips , plus a few more for sprinkling on top the pie
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place pie crust in pie plate and crimp edges as desired. Chill until ready to fill.
- Add melted butter to a large bowl, followed by both sugars. Stir with a wooden spoon or use a hand mixer until smooth.
- Mix in egg, vanilla baking soda, and salt. Then add flour and stir until thick.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until well mixed.
- Spread cookie batter into prepared pie crust. Sprinkle with about ¼ cup additional chocolate chips on top.
- Cover pie with a pie shield and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F. Then lower the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until the cookie is puffed, no longer glossy on top, and light golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Cool at least to room temperature before slicing. This pie slices messy before it’s cooled but it tastes so good warm or room temperature.
- Serving suggestions: ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream or plain.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Chocolate Chip Pie is a big cookie cake in a pie crust – it’s an epic rich and fudgy pie recipe that’s completely from scratch!
Last Updated on May 20, 2022