Chicken Broccoli Skillet Dinner (30 minute meal)
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This easy Chicken Broccoli Skillet Dinner recipe is done in under 30 minutes! With a creamy parmesan sauce and lots of pasta it’s an easy meal for your family – picky eater approved!
I just got home from spending spring break in New York City. My daughter has been begging to see New York for years so we finally planned a trip and went over the break. I’d only been once, right after college, so it was nice to go back as an adult. I barely remember my first trip!
One thing different about this trip than my last was that now I’m totally into FOOD. On my first trip to NYC we ate at the same restaurant so much the owner knew my order (pepperoni calzone) on sight; now that wouldn’t fly. As a food blogger, going to big cities and experiencing the amazing food is my favorite activity.
Over the past 5 years I’ve followed so many food bloggers on their culinary trips through New York and I had a huge list of places I wanted to eat. We spent 5 days eating out two meals a day with bakeries in between! I’m planning to write a food post about the city, but in the meantime be sure to check out my Instagram highlight and see all the yummy food we ate.
On the flight home we stopped in Atlanta and went for lunch. It was right about then that my stomach was just done with me. It looked at the menu and told me I needed to eat salad for lunch – and for the next week – LOL.
One pot meals like this Chicken Broccoli Skillet are going to be a staple in my house the next few weeks as I get back into the routine of cooking dinner!
Easy dinners are especially important during this busy time of year. In spring, it’s sports and getting ready for end of the year activities, while in fall there are sports and back to school. We all need fast dinners that the entire family will love.
An easy chicken and broccoli skillet is the perfect picky-eater approved meal.
You can make this recipe in a variety of different ways, but no matter how you make it, it will be done in under 30 minutes.
Ways you can make this easy chicken broccoli skillet casserole:
- Do it like I did and make it an easy one pot meal by using my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Chicken recipe. I make large batches of that or my Oven Baked Chicken Breasts every week and use it in meals like this and Chicken Fried Rice. Shred the already cooked chicken into the pan at the end of cooking the sauce.
- You can start from raw chicken breasts and it will still be dinner in under 30 minutes! Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces and cook them on each side for until browned and almost cooked through, then make the sauce and let the chicken finish cooking while the sauce bubbles.
- To make this a truly one pot meal, cook the noodles and broccoli in the skillet, then finish up the sauce and chicken while they drain. You can do it all in one pan!
I absolutely love that the broccoli cooks in the same pan as the noodles.
Simply boil the noodles just a few minutes less than the package directs and add the broccoli florets during the last couple minutes of cooking.
I loved using whole wheat egg noodles in this recipe but you can use regular egg noodles or any shape pasta you like. It would also be good with rotini or penne.
Chicken Broccoli Skillet has a simple creamy cheese sauce!
The sauce for this recipe is a simple sauce that starts with a can of creamed soup. I used cream of mushroom soup but you can use cream of potato or cream of chicken. Use a lower fat or low sodium soup if you want!
This makes a super simple dinner that will double as lunch the next day. I promise your whole family will love this easy meal!
Other chicken recipes you’ll love to make:
Tools for success:
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
Chicken Broccoli Skillet
- 8 ounces whole wheat egg noodles — or any pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets — or more, if desired
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion — diced
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup — (see note)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese — use fresh not from the green canister
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt and more pepper — to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken — see note
- Bring water to boil in large skillet (you can also do this in a separate saucepan). Cook noodles according to package directions adding the broccoli to the pan when there is about 3 minutes of cooking time left for the noodles. Cook until both are cooked, drain and set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat the olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the soup, milk, parmesan, and pepper. Whisk or stir to combine. Add the chicken to the pan to heat it through then add the noodles and broccoli to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add more shredded parmesan for serving, if desired.
- I used Campbell’s Healthy Request condensed soup, use what you prefer. You can also use cream of chicken or cream of potato soup in place of the cream of mushroom.
- You can also use rotisserie chicken in this recipe in place of my instant pot shredded chicken.
- If you are using FRESH chicken that is not already cooked: dice chicken into small bite sized pieces. After the noodles and broccoli have been removed from the pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the chicken and cook, searing on both sides, for about 5-10 minutes (depending on size of chicken pieces) then remove to a plate. You want the chicken almost cooked at that point. Continue the recipe to make the sauce then return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan and let finish cooking in the sauce.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 serving) — Calories: 456, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 109mg, Sodium: 302mg, Potassium: 593mg, Carbohydrates: 48g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 33g, Vitamin A: 13%, Vitamin C: 75.6%, Calcium: 25.2%, Iron: 14%
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Make sure to print out my easy chicken prep recipes: