This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls start with the best cinnamon roll dough and are filled with a carrot cake brown sugar filing. These are soft and perfect with cream cheese frosting.
more than three days a year when cinnamon rolls are perfectly acceptable for breakfast: Christmas, Mother’s Day, and Easter. These carrot cake rolls are perfect for all three, but especially when the Easter Bunny visits!
Table of Contents
What are Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls?
I’d like to say that I am pretty sure I invented Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls. I know that’s a big and bold statement but…the proof is in the date stamp, or at least it was, until I updated this post.
This unique sweet roll recipe has a fluffy yeasted dough and is filled with a brown sugar cinnamon mixture that also has shredded carrots and some carrot cake spices. On top? It’s all about the cream cheese icing, of course. It wouldn’t be carrot cake without cream cheese frosting!
How to make Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls:
- Start with my easy yeasted cinnamon roll dough made with active dry yeast. This dough has egg and sugar in it too, so it’s fluffy and sweet and light.
- Yeast needs a specific temperature of water in which it becomes activated. Too cold, it won’t wake up. Too hot, it’ll die. The perfect temperature for active dry yeast is about 100-110°F. I like to use an instant read thermometer to check it.
- Make sure to use fresh carrots that you shred for this recipe. Pre-shredded carrots are thick and too hard for the filling of these delicate rolls.
- Feel free to add some chopped walnuts or pecans and/or raisins to the filling. Any would be delicious and make these even more like carrot cake.
- You can make this all at once or, if you want to make them overnight cinnamon rolls you can. Or freeze them. Directions are in the recipe.
Use active dry yeast for this recipe – instant yeast requires a different method.
These will last up to 3 days on the counter or in the refrigerator.
Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
For the dough
- ¾ cup (178 ml) warm water
- 1 tablespoon (9g) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup (79 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 cups (372g) all purpose flour
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup (75g) grated carrots (about 2 medium)
For the Icing
- 4 ounces (114g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (170g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place warm water (about 100-110°F) into a measuring cup. (The easiest way to test the water is using an instant read thermometer, but if you don’t have one, think hot bathwater.) Add yeast, sugar and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon. Let rest until it bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- Place proofed yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add egg and oil along with 1 cup of flour.
- Start the mixer and then slowly another 1 ½ cups of flour, stirring in gradually. Run the mixture for about 5-10 minutes or until the dough is elastic. The dough will be slightly sticky and very soft. You may need up to 3 total cups of flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting and knead until smooth. Place the dough into a bowl that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Let rest until doubled. Time will vary depending on room temperature. To rise faster, place the dough in a warm place.
- Spray a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make filling: Stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and grated carrots in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into a rectangle that is about 12×15”. To fill, spread with melted butter and sprinkle with filling. Roll up lengthwise. Make roll as tight as possible. Cut into one-inch pieces. Place in greased pan so that rolls just touch each other. (You can slice it into 9-12 slices depending on how big you want your rolls.)
- At this point you have two options: 1. Let rise until doubled (about 20-30 minutes), then bake as directed below or 2. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Let the rolls come to room temperature before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Make the frosting: beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, then mix in powdered sugar slowly. Mix until crumbly, then add vanilla and beat until smooth. Spread over warm or cooled rolls.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Rolls can be frozen before baking or after, or even after frosting.
Favorite Brunch Recipes
Last Updated on March 18, 2023
Make sure to use fresh carrots that you shred for this recipe. Pre-shredded carrots are thick and too hard for the filling of these delicate rolls.
CARROT CAKE CINNAMON ROLLS ARE THE PERFECT RECIPE FOR SUNDAY BRUNCH!
This unique sweet roll recipe has a fluffy yeasted dough and is filled with a brown sugar cinnamon mixture that also has shredded carrots and some carrot cake spices.
hmm seems very tasty! will try it soon, thanks
loooks all very delicious, nice recipes, thanks
Oh my goodness, these were sooo good! We could not stop eating them. Mine did not double either when rising so I was worried they would not turn out right but they were perfect!
I am wondering if you meant to put “filling” instead of “dough” on the second line of #6? I didn’t see another place where you were putting the filling onto the dough.
This looks so yummy. I so love carrot cake. Oh i may be giving this a go. But for whatever reason i have a fear of yeast. Always have. Hmm i may have to get over it. haha. Oh I made your Carrot Cake loaves last week. Big hit. so yummy. So moist. Even my neighbor loved it. Oh and my Dodson guy who hates carrot cake loved it. Yippee!
These sound delicious and perfect for Easter!
I hear ya! I’d like to be car free too…most of the time. I am obsessed with cinnamon rolls. These look awesome! Cream cheese icing makes everything yummy – even if you don’t like carrot cake, how could you not like these?