Jul 06

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust

I’m just gonna say what you’re all thinking: these brownies are ridiculous. But in a very, very good way.

They’re what happens when Crack Brownies marry Slutty Brownies: they’re fudgy, chocolatey Peanut Butter Cup Brownies that have an Oreo Crust.

Like I said, ridiculous. But you want them anyway.

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust - the BEST brownie ever!

Sometimes I surprise myself. Sometimes I have to just gape in awe at my brilliance as a dessert thinker-upper.

Yes, that’s my new title. Like it?

Dessert Thinker-Upper (noun): a person who thinks deeply and seriously about dessert and who comes up with ridiculous dessert recipes that make you drool.

So in my role as Dessert Thinker-Upper, I’m always thinking about my next new dessert. I think about it at the gym, in the shower, and while I’m driving. I think about desserts when I’m trying to play Life with my daughter and when my husband talks to me about NFL Total Access. Long car trips? The perfect time for thinking up crazy ridiculous desserts.

If you read my post yesterday, you’ll know all about my trip to Palm Springs. On the way home I was thinking on a dessert I could make to send to our friends who lent us their condo, to say thanks. Because that’s how I say thank you: with dessert.

Makes you want to do something nice for me, doesn’t it?

Reese's Brownies with Oreo Crust - the BEST brownie ever!

Anyway, the treats needed to be mailed, so I thought cookies then bars then brownies. Because besides pie, I always think about brownies.

My next website needs to be Crazy for Brownies.

And if I could pick one kind of brownie to eat, it would have a crust. Brownies are just better with crust! If you don’t believe me, try it. You’ll thank me.

Naturally my next thought was an Oreo Crust. Because, well, who doesn’t love that?

And then, well. I thought, go big or go home. And I decided I would throw chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups on top.

Oreo Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

I mean, do I even need to describe how good these are?

Crunchy Oreo crust.

Rich, fudgy, thick chocolate brownie. (These are baked in a 9×9 pan for ultimate thickness!)

And, BTW, fudgy, gooey brownie is where it’s at. Cakey, dry, sub-par brownies need not apply at Crazy for Brownies.

Chopped Miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Like I said, ridiculous.

In a good way.

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust - the BEST brownie ever!

My job is hard. But someone has to do it.

You’re welcome.

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust

Yield: 16 brownies

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust

This brownie is ridiculous! It has three layers of fabulous: an Oreo crust, a layer of fudgy rich brownies, and a topping of chopped peanut butter cups. This is a dessert for a serious chocoholic!

For the Crust:
  • 20 Oreos
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • For the Brownies:
  • 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 25 Miniature Peanut Butter Cups (Reese’s), unwrapped and coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Crush Oreo cookies to a fine crumb using a food processor. You can also place them in a gallon size ziploc bag and roll it gently with a rolling pin until you have a fine crumb. Stir cookies into melted butter and press into the bottom of your pan. Chill until brownies are prepared.
  3. Place the two baking chocolates and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat on HIGH power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, salt, vanilla, and cocoa and stir well. Add flour and stir carefully.
  4. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the chopped peanut butter cups.
  5. Bake about 31-34 minutes, until a toothpick 1 inch from the outside of the pan comes out mostly clean. The center may still be a little jiggly. Let cool before cutting.
  6. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or place in an airtight container and freeze for up to one month.

Notes

When unwrapping and chopping the peanut butter cups, if the candy is too warm and the chocolate starts to peel off with the wrapper, chill the wrapped candy for about 5-10 minutes, then try again.

Brownie Gooey Bars

Brownie Gooey Bars (3 of 5)w

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (1 of 4)w

Oreo Brownies

Fudgy Oreo Brownies (1 of 7)w

The Ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Sundae by Bless This Mess
Brownie Pudding by Cookies & Cups
Oreo Cream Brownies by Something Swanky

41 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust”

1. Mir posted on July 6, 2014 at 4:11 am (#)

How could you send these away?! I’d keep them forever. Heck, I’d marry them. They are fantasy brownies!

2. How to Philosophize with Cake posted on July 6, 2014 at 4:25 am (#)

Those look amaaaaazing! Oreos + peanut butter is one heck of a combination :)

3. Michele @ Alwayzbakin posted on July 6, 2014 at 5:15 am (#)

Oh my goodness, they look SO sticky and delicious!

4. shelly (cookies and cups) posted on July 6, 2014 at 5:25 am (#)

I can’t even imagine how intense these brownies are!! Thanks for the link!

5. Caitlin posted on July 6, 2014 at 6:03 am (#)

I’m definitely thinking about dessert and/or dinner recipes when my husband is talking sports. Luckily, it works in reverse too so we can talk to each other about whatever we want and we each pretend to care :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 6th, 2014 at 7:02 am

LOL, totally. I see the look he gets when I’m talking about Bravo shows. :)

6. Leslie posted on July 6, 2014 at 6:50 am (#)

You’ve managed to put all my favorite treats into one, like a wizard! Yummy! Happy Sunday.

7. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on July 6, 2014 at 7:25 am (#)

These brownies looks ridiculously, dangerously addicting! Absolutely love the oreo crust…and peanut butter cups?! These might just be the best brownies ever!! Pinned!

8. Alyssa {Cake, Crust, and Sugar Dust} posted on July 6, 2014 at 7:40 am (#)

Dorothy, these brownies look like they have the ultimate fudgy texture! That’s basically my only criteria for a brownie….so the added bonus of Oreo crust and peanut butter cups on top just put me over the edge! I’m sitting here trying to think of what I could offer to do for you so I could get a thank you gift of these brownies mailed to me…

9. Jacki posted on July 6, 2014 at 8:18 am (#)

“Crack brownies marry slutty brownies.” I die.
    I can’t WAIT to make these. They look ridiculously delicious.

10. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on July 6, 2014 at 8:24 am (#)

I am in awe of your “dessert thinker-uppery” as well!! These brownies look amazing! No I just need to figure out what I can do for you to warrant these brownies as a thank you gift!!

11. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on July 6, 2014 at 8:30 am (#)

Hahah when slutty and crack brownies meet. I can’t even begin to imagine how goood these are!! Insane!!

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 6, 2014 at 10:48 am (#)

Wow. Look at the FUDGE factor of these babies! The interior is dense, rich, and just so uber fudgy! No cakey brownies in sight, thank you :) And with the PB cups, and the Oreo crust, I know you made these just for me! Pinned of course :)

Dessert Thinker-Upper = Me too and sometimes my thinking up is better than other times. About to go on a long run and pray a few things come into my head. Sometimes I truly have no idea what I’m making next. That’s…today :)

14. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on July 6, 2014 at 11:42 am (#)

Best Dessert-thinker-upper out there! What do I have to do to get a plate of these brownies?!?!

15. Kayla posted on July 6, 2014 at 12:08 pm (#)

Wow this looks amazing! It’s just so gooey and fudgey and chocolatey! I love it!

16. Mary Frances posted on July 6, 2014 at 12:21 pm (#)

If I had a condo, I would let you use it in a heartbeat. Slutty plus crack sounds freaking awesome! Oreos and PB cups are America’s favorite candy bars and putting them both in a ridiculously fudgy brownie … I want to faceplant in that pan! Pinned!

17. Becky posted on July 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm (#)

OMG! These sound (and look!) amazing!!! I’m not a huge Oreo fan, but somehow, I don’t think that Oreo crust would be a bad thing at all! I NEED to make these! :)

18. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on July 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm (#)

A Dessert Thinker-Upper — I totally want this title too! Long car trips are the best for mind wandering dessert recipe thoughts, or even just the 1-1.5 hours it takes to drive to my parents’ house. Long runs work too, although half the time I start thinking about how much a certain muscle hurts or why I should’ve woken up earlier to avoid the heat. (Crazy Sacramento!) But you definitely outdid yourself with your chocolaty + PB-y creativity with these brownies Dorothy!!

19. Shaina posted on July 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm (#)

Oh my God these sound INCREDIBLE. I wantttt!

20. Charly posted on July 6, 2014 at 4:40 pm (#)

Love your recipes!,

21. Laurie F. posted on July 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm (#)

Your brownie gooey bars look irresistible! Thanks for the thinking-up!

22. Brittany posted on July 6, 2014 at 5:46 pm (#)

Definitely going to make the vegan version of this! Looks amazing!

–http://soulalien.blogspot.com/

23. Crystal posted on July 6, 2014 at 6:19 pm (#)

Oh my…..these look so sinful yet so delicious! What an amazing recipe!! I think I would be really selfish and not share…hee hee. Thanks so much for the recipe!!

24. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on July 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm (#)

These are ridiculous. I love them!!

25. Jessica @ Sweet Menu posted on July 6, 2014 at 8:41 pm (#)

Wow! Talk about making a brownie even better – who knew that was possible! These look incredible.

26. Monet posted on July 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm (#)

These look heavenly. I can’t wait to try them! We have oreos and peanut butter cups in our kitchen right now…so it won’t be long!

27. Matt Robinson posted on July 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm (#)

Ridiculous for sure. Love ‘em!!!

28. Medeja posted on July 7, 2014 at 2:45 am (#)

These brownies look just irresistible!

29. Emily @ Life on Food posted on July 7, 2014 at 3:49 am (#)

I needed these like yesterday! Lovely, lovely! Keep up your dessert thinker upper duties!

30. dina posted on July 7, 2014 at 6:13 am (#)

these are very tempting!

31. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom posted on July 7, 2014 at 8:48 am (#)

Brownies with Oreos and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! my fave things in one brownie. . love it!

32. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on July 7, 2014 at 9:17 pm (#)

Wow, these brownies look incredible Dorothy! That’s so nice of you to make these as a thank-you, I would love to find these heavenly brownies in the mail! So many of my favorite things jam packed in here – pinning!

33. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on July 8, 2014 at 11:45 am (#)

Who doesn’t love a oreo crust? Or anything oreo for that fact? You could put dirty shoes on top of this crust and I’d eat it…okay I might be a bit dramatic but I think I’ve made my point. ;) This looks amazing and I love it! :)

34. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 8, 2014 at 5:25 pm (#)

You’ve DEF achieved geniuuuus status!!! These brownies are so incredibly decadent and perfect it’s just…I can’t even….ahhhhh SO GOOD

35. CakePants posted on July 13, 2014 at 8:53 pm (#)

Oh no…these look dangerously decadent. I’m totally on board with the idea of crust in brownies…especially when that crust is of the Oreo variety!

36. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on July 16, 2014 at 11:31 pm (#)

Haha, you made crack whore brownies. They do look and sound completely ridiculous, and I’m already addicted before even trying them. Thanks for thinking this one up. Pinned!

37. Pingback: Hazelnut Caramel Apple Nachos - Crazy for Crust