Jul 24

Lime Curd

I have a slight addiction. It’s called homemade curd. Lemon curd, lime curd, whatever. I can eat it with a spoon.

Instead of paying $4 a jar and breaking the bank, I decided to make my own.

Now you can too!

Homemade Lime Curd in under 10 minutes!

Have you ever had lemon curd? Chances are, you’ve seen it used in a plethora of lemon recipes here on this blog. I’ve added the sweet stuff to a Cake roll, to breakfast pastry, and even to milkshakes.

Curd is one of those things that you don’t realize you love until you try a spoonful. Thicker and creamier than jam or jelly, it’s got the consistency of a pudding, but it’s much, much better.

I’ve always been in love with lemon curd and I’d never seen lime until I visited Harry & David this past April. I bought a jar of lime curd while I was there and proceeded to come home and eat it all. Then I cried because I was out of lime curd and there is no Harry & David store near me. (Ahem, H&D, let’s remedy that please?)

Then I went to Miami and fell in love with Key Lime. I came home and bought a bottle of Key Lime Juice (actual key limes are hard to find sometimes) and tried to remake my lemon bars into key lime bars. For some reason, that recipe failed horribly. Then I had a bottle of key lime juice in my refrigerator. What to do, what to do.

Answer: Key Lime Curd. {Or, regular lime curd, if you don’t want to use Key Limes.}

Homemade Lime Curd in under 10 minutes!

This recipe is so simple, so easy, and so basic. It’s done in under 10 minutes. You only need a handful of ingredients – and you don’t even need real limes.

{Limes are super expensive right now. I guess there’s a shortage?}

The basics of homemade lime (or lemon) curd include: eggs, sugar, juice, zest (if you have it), and butter. You cook the eggs, sugar, and juice together until it thickens, then you add the butter. The butter gives it creaminess and lots of depth.

Plus, butter is good.

Now, you can argue with me all day about whether curd should have whole eggs or just yolks. This recipe includes whole eggs because honestly? I hate wasting the whites. I know, I know. I should make meringue. I should make waffles. I know that. I should also vacuum every day and not let my dog lick me, but I do.

I always, always forget I have whites in the refrigerator. ALWAYS. So I used whole eggs. Waste not, want not.

Now, I have 2 recipes for lemon curd on this blog already. One uses yolks only. One uses no eggs. I’ve made Glory’s lemon curd several times and it only has yolks. What’s the difference? Not much, to my tastebuds. This curd is slightly thicker than the other yolk-only recipes I’ve tried. My mouth, however, didn’t notice a difference.

The other tip I have for this recipe that might be different from others you’ve read is this: before I add heat, I whisk all the ingredients together in the pan. Once they’re whisked (which looks kind of like scrambled egg mixture before you cook it) then I put the pot on the stove. This way you will have less chances that the whites of your eggs will get lumpy. I didn’t need to strain my curd, but you can if you want.

This is all great, you say. But how do you eat lime curd, you want to know.

Me, laughing. How do you eat lime curd. With a spoon!

But you can also put it on toast, dip crackers in it, or add it to yogurt to make a dip for fruit. Put it in whipped cream, swirl it into fro-yo, or fill a cake with it.

Have I mentioned the spoon?

Homemade Lime Curd in under 10 minutes!

My mouth is watering looking at the photo. Excuse me, I have more lime curd to eat.

Lime Curd

Use limes, key lime juice, or even lemon to make the perfect curd at home. This recipe is easy and is done in under 10 minutes!

Ingredients:

• 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (or bottled Key Lime juice)
  • Zest of 1 large or two small limes (or Key limes)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced

Directions:

1. Place eggs, sugar, salt, juice, and zest in a medium saucepan. Do not put it over the heat yet. Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
  2. Place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Turn all the way to low and add the butter. Stir until smooth.
    Remove from heat and pour into jar(s). Makes just shy of 2 cups.

Lime Curd Pie

Lime Curd Pie (1 of 9)w

Perfect Triple Lemon Cupcakes

Lemon Cupcakes (9 of 13)

Easy Lemon Cream Danish

Easy-lemon-cream-danish (4 of 7)w

Key Lime Gooey Bars by Mom on Timeout
Frozen Key Lime Margarita Squares by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Lemon Streusel Bars by Something Swanky

42 Responses to “Lime Curd”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 24, 2014 at 3:10 am (#)

This looks so good! Something tells me that a dollop or two of this, with ice and tequila in a blender, would be spectacular :) Or of course, making desserts with it. I love lime stuff (probably more so than lemons) and yes limes are crazy expensive right now. Key limes, girl, don’t do it!! I made a recipe about 2-3 mos ago with key limes and had to squeeze like 25 limes the size of ping pong balls to get 1/2 cup juice…nightmare. And the sad part is that I couldnt tell the difference between that juice and the one from a bottle. Just buy it, trust me. And that’s so odd your pie failed…hmm would love to get to the bottom of that one. #bakingsciencenerd

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 24th, 2014 at 7:42 am

Oh yes. Ice and tequila. I need to get on that!

The bars – I didn’t pre bake the graham crust, which I don’t always do for no bake, but for the baked bars the juice just settled below it and they got all soggy. I think I needed to bake the crust first to give it a solid base. I still want to re-do them! :)

2. Mir posted on July 24, 2014 at 4:14 am (#)

I’m so glad you posted this! Sometimes I can’t find curd in the grocery store and so now I can make it! Love key lime, by the way. So freakin’ addictive!

3. Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate posted on July 24, 2014 at 4:54 am (#)

Yes, lime curd is so expensive! Thank you for this!

4. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on July 24, 2014 at 5:40 am (#)

Oh how I love curd! I guess I didn’t even realize you can use the whole egg, I’ve been making it with just yolks for so long. Then again, I love having the egg whites…gives me an excuse to make meringues or homemade white cake :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 24th, 2014 at 7:41 am

See, you’re good about that. I just forget about them!!

5. Nancy P@thebittersideofsweet posted on July 24, 2014 at 7:56 am (#)

I have never made curd homemade before but I have a bag of limes that looks like is going to be perfect for this! Thanks!

6. Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes posted on July 24, 2014 at 10:25 am (#)

Ooooh! I had no idea that making citrus curd was so. freaking. easy. Thank you for sharing!!

7. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on July 24, 2014 at 11:29 am (#)

Lemon / Lime Curd is one of those treats that just has a really unfortunate name…I mean “curd”, really? That sounds like curdled…eeewww

But I really want to make my own! I think I’ll start with your lemon curd though because limes are ridiculously expensive around here right now…if you can even find them! Gorgeous photos btw! Pinned!

8. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on July 24, 2014 at 11:57 am (#)

Lime curd can be so hard to find. I really just need to start making my own!

9. Liz @ Floating Kitchen posted on July 24, 2014 at 12:19 pm (#)

OMG – glad to read that you used bottled key lime juice. Before I saw that I was imaging how many key limes you would have had to squeeze to make this. They are a pain sometimes! So tiny! This looks yummy!

10. Graham @ Glazed & Confused posted on July 24, 2014 at 1:36 pm (#)

Straight from the spoon? I love your style! :)

Seriously, this looks divine. Love love love anything tart + sweet.

11. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on July 24, 2014 at 3:00 pm (#)

I so need to make this! I made lime curd once but overcooked the mixture. Time to give it a try again! Pinned!

12. Kindra S. posted on July 24, 2014 at 4:05 pm (#)

this looks so yummy! I will be making this soon. I love lime anything and have been craving key lime pie like not other, since I am pregnant. you posted this just in time.

13. Pat posted on July 24, 2014 at 4:52 pm (#)

I love curds! I was wondering how long it lasts and giving as a gift would it have to be refrigerated? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2014 at 5:50 am

Probably about two weeks in the refrigerator! After that, I’m not sure, unless you did the whole canning thing. (I’ve never done that…need to get on it!)

14. Bonnie posted on July 24, 2014 at 5:51 pm (#)

Well, I just tried this recipe! I had 4 small limes and some lemon juice. I used this for my citrus. I didn’t have butter, so used margarine. All of these differences worked just fine!

It amazed me how quickly it thickened!!! And OMG, this is SO good.

Years ago, a lady brought a white fruit cake to a dinner I attended, the fruit cake was very light. She had a lemon sauce type stuff over the top. I have searched everywhere for the recipe.

This Kurd is about as close as I can call her lemon sauce.

Would anyone happen to have something similar to what I described? Thanks in advance!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2014 at 5:50 am

I’m so glad you liked it Bonnie! I don’t have a sauce recipe, but if you add more juice or one less egg (and probably a little less butter) the sauce would be thinner!

15. Laurie F. posted on July 24, 2014 at 5:53 pm (#)

If you have any lime juice left, put it in a blender with some seedless watermelon, and you’ve got yourself a delicious drink! Thanks for another great make-it-yourself recipe!

16. marcie posted on July 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm (#)

I love all flavors of curd, and lime is definitely one of my favorites! This is reminding me that it’s been way too long…it looks delicious!

17. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on July 25, 2014 at 5:03 am (#)

This lime curd looks amazing, Dorothy! I’ve only had lemon curd, so I can only imagine how tasty this must be. I think I could definitely eat this for breakfast…maybe on some toast!

18. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on July 25, 2014 at 6:00 am (#)

So glad you have an obsession with curds, because that means lots of awesome recipes for us!!! Love this lime curd Dorothy – it looks so refreshing and tasty! Pinned :)

19. Alexis @ Upside Down Pear posted on July 25, 2014 at 6:35 am (#)

I can’t wait to try making my own curd. It’s crazy expensive in the store, which is part of the reason I don’t use it too much. While I like lemon flavored food, if there’s a lime version I’m all over it. For some reason lime is just a tad bit more special for me. It’s also great since my boyfriend isn’t as fond of lime as I am so there’s more for me! I can’t wait to try this :)

20. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on July 25, 2014 at 1:38 pm (#)

This is fantastic! I am pretty intimated to make anything with the word “curd” in it but I am drying to try!

21. Ashton posted on July 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm (#)

This looks like pure heaven! I’m totally obsessed with curd too!! (although, can we all please vote on a new name for it? Pleeeeease??? Thanks.) ;) Pinned!

22. Heather @ French Press posted on July 25, 2014 at 8:29 pm (#)

I totally prefer lime to lemon, and key lime is even better, can;t wait to try this curd

23. Jennie Mae posted on July 26, 2014 at 11:42 am (#)

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Just curious, about how long will this last in the fridge? I have a ton of extra eggs and limes, and I’m considering making a big batch if it’ll last longer than both of those would raw. Thanks for the recipe. :)

24. Amy @Very Culinary posted on July 27, 2014 at 8:23 am (#)

I’d bathe in this.

25. Mary Frances posted on July 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm (#)

A shortage?? What? Definitely going to have to go lime crazy at the grocery store! Oh my goodness, curds are the best. They are so easy to slather on everything! (oh this French toast? Waffles? Sugar cookies? Don’t mind if I do!)

26. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on July 27, 2014 at 8:38 pm (#)

I love all curds but have never tried making lime curd. Yours looks so pretty and tasty and I can’t wait to try it – pinning :)

27. Deedra posted on July 28, 2014 at 8:38 pm (#)

Hi Fellow Blogger,
    You have been showcased on my blog hop. I hope you get a little more action on your blog for the next few days.
    Have a great week.
    Deedra from the blog At My Counter

28. Linda C Smith posted on July 29, 2014 at 6:39 pm (#)

This sounds so good! I’ve paid the kabillion dollars to buy lemon curd and love it…but lime curd? I am so going to make this. Was great to meet you at BlogHer14!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 29th, 2014 at 7:04 pm

It was great to meet you too Linda!! :) And thank you!

29. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on July 30, 2014 at 7:00 pm (#)

The only lemon curd I’ve had tasted like it contained absolutely no sugar… Bleck. But I’m positive your key lime version (and original lemon one too) are absolutely phenomenal! Totally worth buying key lime juice after Florida. I’m so sad I didn’t try a key lime pie while we were there!

30. Semira posted on August 2, 2014 at 7:04 pm (#)

Hi!
    You can frozen your egg white in ice cube.
    I always have whites when I need (for meringues or macarons or chocolate
    mousse)
    I definitely try your recipe with yuzu.
    Thks for sharing

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:50 am

That’s a great idea, thank you Semira!

31. Pingback: Sunday 03August 2014 – Fab four – Lemon | Daily Fresh Page

32. Pingback: Sunday 03 August 2014 – Fab four – Lemon | Daily Fresh Page

33. Pingback: igasuguseid asju. (eriti) reede, laupäev, pühapäev | PilleRiini avalik internetielu