Jun 21

Lemon Drop Fizz

Are you thirsty? Good. It’s 5:00 somewhere, so let’s have a drink.

The perfect summer cocktail: a Lemon Drop Fizz!

A few months ago I hosted a mom’s night out at my house. Mel had taken Jordan to visit his family in San Diego and well, while the kid is away, the mom’s will play, right? (Well, until we turn into pumpkins at 9pm.)

So anyway, I made a lemon drop martini for that party and it was so good, that I wanted to share it. But, true to form, I pulled a Dug the Dog and got sidetracked by sparkling water.

I wanted a lemon drop, but I wanted a fizzy drink. Then I realized I could be my own bartender, so I made my own drink.

I made a Lemon Drop Fizz: the best of a lemon drop with a little sparkling action. Perfect for a Saturday night, or a random Tuesday afternoon.

Because when you’re  food blogger, the good light is at 1:00. You wouldn’t want to waste a cocktail. That would just be…wrong.

Lemon Drop Fizz - a sparkling lemon drop martini!

This drink could not be easier. I didn’t want to deal with simple syrup and all that, so I stuck with just a few components of a true lemon drop martini: limoncello, vodka, and sweet and sour.

I’m too cheap to buy flavored vodkas, so I used regular old plain. You could also use lemon vodka, if you have it in your pantry or like an excuse to buy a flavor.

{BTW, have you seen how many flavors of vodka there are out there now? Marshmallow, cake, chocolate, lemon, pumpkin, you name it they have it. If I bough all of the flavors I wanted to try I’d have to buy a new house to fit them all, but I wouldn’t be able to afford it since the booze is $15 a bottle.}

Limoncello is one of those liquors that you never want to buy because you feel like you have a ton left over after you make a drink and you think it’ll go to waste. Trust me – it won’t. You can put limoncello into anything. Or, just have a mom’s night. You will finish that bottle, I guarantee it.

The sweet and sour gives a little, well, sweet and sour to the cocktail. It makes it taste more like it’s namesake, the lemon drop candy. Which, by the way, is what I used to rim my glass. It’s totally unnecessary – you can use sugar – but the lemon drop candy makes it prettier and tastier. I crushed mine in the food processor. Tip: use ear plugs if you do that. Loudest. Noise. EVER.

Once you’ve shaken up those three components, you add it to a glass. I like using flat bottomed glasses because I’m a klutz. One, I will spill half my martini out of a martini glass (on my first drink, mind you) and two, I’ll probably break off the stem. So I like drinks like this, that I can serve in a tumbler.

To fill up the extra space in the glass, I added sparkling water. This gives it the fizz and makes it a yummy summer afternoon cocktail. I used plain sparkling water, but you could use lemon flavored. I was going to use diet lemon-lime soda (like Sprite) but then the fizzy water caught my eye. For a sweeter drink, use the soda (regular or diet). This drink is sweet, but just a little.

You can also play with the measurements and add more (or take away) some of the booze to suit you. I know some people that like a little vodka and some that like a lot, so your “1 ounce” can be as heavy or light handed as you like.

That’s what I love about cocktails – you make them to suit you. Plus they taste good. And they’re perfect for a summer day.

The BEST new summer drink: a Lemon Drop Fizz!

Enjoy!

Lemon Drop Fizz

Lemon Drop Fizz

• 1 ounce limoncello
  • 1 ounce vodka
  • 1 ounce sweet and sour
  • Sparkling Water, plain or lemon flavored (for a sweeter drink use lemon-lime soda)
  • Sugar or crushed lemon drop candies for the rim

1. Rub the rim of your serving glass with lemon or water, then turn upside down on a plate of sugar or crushed lemon drop candies. Fill with ice.
  2. Place limoncello, vodka, and sweet and sour in a martini shaker filled with ice. Shake, then pour over ice in glass. Fill remainder of glass with sparkling water or lemon-lime soda.

Notes

Lemon drop candies add a nice sweet lemon flavor to the rim of your glass. You should process them using a good food processor. It's REALLY loud but gets the job done. I used sparkling water in my cocktail, but lemon-lime soda (regular or diet) would make it a sweeter alternative.

Raspberry Arnold Palmer

raspberry-arnold-palmer (9 of 14)w

Margarita Sangria

Margarita Sangria (2 of 6)w

Watermelon Lemonade {Martini + Kid-Friendly}

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (1 of 6)w

Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz by Averie Cooks
My Three Sons {non-alcoholic summer drink} by Something Swanky
Tropical Tea by Wine & Glue

25 Responses to “Lemon Drop Fizz”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on June 21, 2014 at 3:12 am (#)

I love the sounds of this! And I know what you mean about all the flavored vodkas, there are SO many.options.out.there now! The issue is not only the cost but my real issue is storage space. Between all the flours, sugars, and mixing bowls I own, there’s not nearly enough room for liquor in my small kitchen :) pinned!

2. Librarian Lavender posted on June 21, 2014 at 4:13 am (#)

Such fantastic drinks. They are looking really, really good. Perfect for a summer party!

3. How to Philosophize with Cake posted on June 21, 2014 at 4:51 am (#)

That looks awesome! So sweet and refreshing. :)

4. ashley M. | Our Full Table posted on June 21, 2014 at 7:10 am (#)

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I wish I could have one of these right now! Perfect drink for summer!

5. Kristin posted on June 21, 2014 at 7:21 am (#)

This does look fantastic (as I drink my coffee at 8am). I have issues with vodka after a night of one too many cranberry/vodkas back in 2008 lol. We’ve had the same giant bottle in the cupboard since 2009, but I think the limoncello could really balance out that flavor.

6. Julia posted on June 21, 2014 at 8:44 am (#)

I love the sound of this! Lemon drops are favorite of mine.. And who doesn’t love something fizzy!?

7. Julia posted on June 21, 2014 at 8:45 am (#)

8. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on June 21, 2014 at 10:42 am (#)

I’m too cheap to buy flavoured vodka too but I always have a couple bottles of the regular stuff in my freezer. I really need to buy limoncello so that I can make your gorgeous cocktail. Seriously Dorothy, I want a few glasses of this right now (and it’s only 10 am). Beautiful photos too!

9. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on June 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm (#)

Cheers to the the days when the “No Waste Rule” gets applied to cocktails! Your Fizz concoction looks so refreshing and perfect for Summer!!! I think I was the only person in Italy that didn’t like limoncello but you mix it all up in a sweet cocktail and make it fizzy and all bets are off!

10. Wendy posted on June 21, 2014 at 3:33 pm (#)

Yum! All of my favorite cocktails are citrus. I don’t like my cocktails super sweet, so your added fizz makes this Lemon Drop a wonderful summer thirst quencher! I am guessing your Moms’ Night Out was a huge success!

11. Leslie posted on June 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm (#)

I’m having a glass of wine right now & it’s amazing!This looks like it would be refreshing for next weekends party. Thanks for sharing! I hope your having a great Saturday!

12. Mir posted on June 21, 2014 at 6:23 pm (#)

When finishing a cocktail is your job, you know you’ve got it good!
    Love that this is sparkling. So ingenious!

13. Caitlin posted on June 21, 2014 at 11:50 pm (#)

My 90 yr old grandma is known in her neighborhood for being the queen of lemon drops. I’ve never been a huge fan of the martini, but with some fizz, I think I’d like it! I’m a vodka soda and lime girl, so this sounds right up my alley.

14. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on June 22, 2014 at 7:09 am (#)

This looks so refreshing! I love regular lemon drops, but with this fizz makes this extra delicious! Pinned!

15. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on June 22, 2014 at 6:55 pm (#)

I can totally see where this would be super fun for a ladies night out! Thanks for sharing.

16. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on June 23, 2014 at 7:33 am (#)

I could use a trough of these right this very second. So refreshing and EASY.

17. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on June 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm (#)

So true about drinking at 1 pm as a food blogger! That’s basically our 5 o’clock… It’s when the first part of our workday is done anyway, right?? ;) Love how you mixed up your own drink, and it looks so fun and refreshing!

18. Pingback: Recipe Spotlight - Kitchen Serf

20. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes posted on June 25, 2014 at 11:21 am (#)

So refreshing and perfect for Summer! Pinned and shared on my FB page! :)

21. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on June 29, 2014 at 7:49 pm (#)

Haha, liquor never goes to waste in our house. We love a good cocktail, and this one sounds great.

22. Pingback: 30+ Summer Mocktail and Cocktail Recipes » Rachel Cooks

23. Pingback: Signature Cocktail Friday ~ Lemon Drop Fizz | Destination Wedding Store

24. Pingback: Blue Raspberry Slushie- Baking Beauty