Nov 26

White Chocolate Lemon Bars

These White Chocolate Lemon Bars will be the hit of your holiday platter!

White Chocolate Lemon Bars | crazyforcrust.com

As you probably know, I am in loooooove with lemon. Love it like I want to marry it. For many years I *thought* I hated lemon desserts, but boy am I glad I realized I was wrong.

Lemon desserts rock.

Sometimes I feel like a rich, indulgent, chocolate dessert. Sometimes I crave peanut butter. And often times I just crave citrus. I want that sweet and tart flavor and I want it baaaaad. These bars? These white chocolate lemon bars are for one of those times.

I love these. Love them like I want to marry them.

White Chocolate Lemon Bars | crazyforcrust.com

When trying to decide what my next crust concoction should be, I realized I didn’t have a basic lemon bar on my site. I have lots of lemon recipes – but no classic lemon bars.

Now I do.

Lemon bars traditionally have a shortbread crust, but I did these one better. They have a pecan shortbread crust, made from Pecan Sandie cookies. You know the ones, right? Shortbread with flecks of pecans inside? You can use name brand or generic. I think that crust makes these bars.

And the white chocolate. I mean, talk about married. White chocolate and lemon really need to just do it already – get officially married, that is. They are soooo good together!

There is something else special about these bars. I made them all in a blender! From crust to filling – they were completely made using my Blendtec blender.

Blendtec Collage

I have been dying to get my hands on one of these blenders for a really long time. They truly are the workhorse of kitchen appliances. It actually comes with a recipe book. You can make peanut butter, whipped cream, ice cream, brownies, cookies, and crust all in the blender! It’s like magic.

Blendtec sent me a Wildside Jar, which is what I used to make these lemon bars, and a Twister jar. The Twister jar is smaller and perfect for making my morning smoothie. I use it every single day – and I love it.

There are three things about the Blendtec I truly love:

Blendtec process collage

Yeah, you read that third one right: it washes itself. Seriously? Seriously!

I am in love with my blender – and you would be too. So guess what? I’m giving one away Saturday. Be sure to come back then!

In the meantime…enjoy these lemon bars.

You know you need a last minute dessert for Thursday, right? Go make these – they’re the easiest things you’ll ever make. Don’t have a blender? No problem. You can use your food processor (or brute strength) to crush the cookies for the crust, and a whisk to make the filling.

However you make them…just make them. You won’t be sorry!

White Chocolate Lemon Bars | crazyforcrust.com

Okay. Now I need to go hit my freezer. That’s where I had to hide these bars!

White Chocolate Lemon Bars {Win a Blendtec!}

White Chocolate Lemon Bars {Win a Blendtec!}

• 30 Pecan Shortbread Cookies (such as Pecan Sandies)
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from one lemon
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13” baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Add cookies to the Blendtec WildSide Jar and pulse a few times until they are a fine crumb. Add melted butter and pulse once or twice until incorporated. (Alternately, you can use your food processor to crush the cookies, then stir in the melted butter.) Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle crust with white chocolate chips.
  3. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, and eggs to the Blendtec WildSide Jar and run on “batters”. Alternately, whisk together until mixture is smooth. Pour onto crust.
  4. Bake for about 25-28 minutes, until the edges are a light golden color. The top will have a dull white look too it. Cool completely.
  5. Slice into bars and dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Come back on Saturday for the Blendtec giveaway!

Easy Lemon Cream Danish

Easy-lemon-cream-danish (4 of 7)w

Lemon Pound Cake

lemon-pound-cake-1-words

Easy Lemon Sweet Rolls

Lemon Sweet Rolls 1 words

Check out my Lemon Love Pinboard for more inspiration!

Lemon Wedding Cookies by Mother Thyme
Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies by Oh Sweet Basil
Lemon Bar Muddy Buddies by Lemon Tree Dwelling
Easy Lemon Poke Cake by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

Yes, Blentec gave me a blender to review. But I really do love it, and all opinions are 100% my own.

29 Responses to “White Chocolate Lemon Bars”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on November 26, 2013 at 4:29 pm (#)

I didnt have a recipe for classic lemon bars on my site til this past spring. I think it’s so important to have these classics. Sure the crazy cookies and bars are lovely, but the classics have their place. And I love how you worked in white choc. Mmm, perfect complement to the lemon.

And congrats on your new BT!

2. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on November 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

I used to love my mom’s lemon bars growing up – and I love this white chocolate twist on a classic recipe! Delicious!!

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on November 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm (#)

It washed itself? OMG that’s so cool! LOVE your lemon bars. now that I think of it, I don’t have my basic lemon bar recipe up yet either….

4. Monique posted on November 26, 2013 at 6:01 pm (#)

My brain blew up once reading the title, and then again when I saw it washed itself.
    UM WHAT?! So cool. Everything. So cool.

5. Brittnee posted on November 26, 2013 at 9:06 pm (#)

Oh gosh these look really good too….

6. Laura @ Laura's Baking Talent posted on November 27, 2013 at 3:52 am (#)

I’m laughing about it washing itself. I’m picturing it growing legs and waddling to the sink :) I think that should be a new requirement for all small appliances :) these bars look great.

7. Jamie Claire posted on November 27, 2013 at 4:18 am (#)

There is really nothing like a classic lemon bar – except one with a twist! This makes me SO nostalgic for the simple, delicious ones my mom made when I was growing up. Thank you for that! And for this unique idea!

8. Tahnycooks posted on November 27, 2013 at 4:20 am (#)

I love white chocolate and I totally crave Citrus! These look perfect! And is there anything more perfect then something able to clean itself?! Hello?!?!! Children, get on board please!

9. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on November 27, 2013 at 8:16 am (#)

Yes! Lemon and white chocolate are made for each other. I made some citrus bars the other day that were so-so and now these are next on my list. They look incredible Dorothy! And that blender – it washes itself?! Life will never be the same now!

10. Michelle @ Life on the Horizon posted on November 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm (#)

With all the fruit and pumpkin pies and cakes, these recipes are a welcoming site! Thank you for sharing!

11. Liz @ Life Made Sweet posted on November 28, 2013 at 10:34 am (#)

I am totally pinning this!! I love your passion for lemon. It is one of my great loves as well! The sweet and tart combination just can’t be beat! Pecan sandie crust sounds delicious!

12. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on November 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm (#)

I love love love lemon! And these pics are so cute :) I became obsessed with my Blendtec the first day i used it lol

13. sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on November 29, 2013 at 11:40 am (#)

I love lemon bars, and adding the white chocolate takes them to a whole new level! YUM! :)

14. Jan posted on November 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm (#)

sorry a bout family loss so hard at holiday time, recipes are great I am house bound but still cook and try to bake for family and friends keep them coming I share and recommend your site.. Happy Holidays

15. Linda posted on December 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm (#)

Would it be possible to get a cup or weight measurement on the Pecan Sandies? I tend to grind entire bags of cookies at one time and then I don’t have to make crumbs when a recipe asks for it. Since I don’t have the cookies to see what 30 cookies would end up (preferably weight though I’ll take cups) it would be great to have a weight or measurement as well as the cookie count. Thanks!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 1st, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I’m sorry I didn’t include that! I used all but about 3-4 cookies in the bag, so I think you could use most of it. You could actually use the whole package and just add another tablespoon of butter if the crust doesn’t want to stick together!

16. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on December 1, 2013 at 11:51 pm (#)

Honestly these sound AMAZING!!! I used to think I wasn’t that into Lemon either, but boy were we wrong!! The white chocolate and pecan cookies as crust make these bars sounds to die for!!! Wish I lived closer to come steal some! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 2nd, 2013 at 6:48 am

I wish that too! I still have some in my freezer. :)

17. Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifec posted on December 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm (#)

I actually thought I didn’t like lemon treats either…but I am slowly realizing I do like them. I agree that white chocolate and lemon should always go together though! And that blender…seriously it is soooo cool! I love that it washes itself! Amazing!

19. Amy posted on December 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm (#)

All the men in my family LOVE lemon desserts! Especially my guy. He refuses to touch chocolate or peanut butter with a 20-foot-pole, but he goes nuts over lemon bars. That’s so neat you made them using a blender!

20. Linda posted on December 11, 2013 at 3:49 am (#)

Just made these yesterday. Mine were a bit stocky on the bottom and hard to cut when room temperature. Is that correct? If I remember the crust wasn’t prebaked which is unusual in lemon bars. Did I misread that and the filling soaked down through the crust? Not sure on the taste aspect yet but otherwise a really easy recipe. And let me say you grow some big lemons to get 1/2 cup of juice from 1-2. I don’t remember how many I used but mine were on the small size. Thanks, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 11th, 2013 at 6:42 am

Thanks Linda! I don’t remember them being sticky on the bottom, and no I didn’t pre bake the crust, just packed it hard. Sorry they were sticky! They’ll still taste great, I assure you. :) It must be the California air that makes the lemons huge! I think those were from the regular grocery store, not even Meyers!

• Linda replied on December 14th, 2013 at 3:19 am

Even though mine were a little sticky…everyone raved about them. Another great recipe! I am going to do this one again using the cookie noted and see if I can conquer the sticky but a great one for the KEEPER file!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Yay! Thanks Linda!

21. Abi posted on January 6, 2014 at 5:32 am (#)

I’m also a massive fan of lemon!! I prefer it to chocolate as I can eat more hehehe! I am going to try and make these bars tonight ;-)

22. Pingback: Lime Curd - Crazy for Crust