Aug 12

Fruity Pebbles Muffins

These Fruity Pebbles Muffins are the perfect way to get breakfast into your kids on busy school mornings!

{This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Post Pebbles but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #PebblesBTS http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO.}

Fruity Pebbles Muffins | crazyforcrust.com | A muffin made with your favorite cereal! #PebblesBTS #muffin #breakfast

Over the last month I’ve been waking up every night scared to death of the darkened room. It’s seemed really dark, more than usual. It’s the kind of dark that makes you check the clock to see if the power is still on. Since I’m like a five year old and still afraid of the dark, it takes my heart a few minutes to calm down. Eventually I manage to get back to sleep, until the next time I wake up…and the same thing happens.

It took about a week of these episodes occurring to realize that there was an actual reason behind the darkness. It wasn’t just in my imagination: the back porch light of the house behind us was off. Or, rather, it burned out.

The people behind us moved in the same day we did. They have lots of screaming children and teens, and they raise bees, which is great in the midst of suburbia. I mean, I can see in their kitchen from my kitchen, so it’s not like we have land or anything. Why is it okay to raise bees in a neighborhood where I can hear my neighbors talking on the phone?

Anyway.

They’ve left their porch light on 24-7 since we moved in. Their light shines right in my bedroom. In fact, if the blinds are not closed the right direction, it shines right in my eyes.

I can only assume they did this because (1) they’re totally clueless and think that light is acually the sun that is raised at night or (2) they’re completely unaware that people live behind them.

I’m leaning towards #2.

So anyway, the light burned out. And I was so used to it being half light in my room that the darkness completely throws me for a loop.

Come winter it’s going to be really dark in my room in the mornings, without the second sun shining for me. That means it’s going to be really hard to get out of bed and get breakfast made.

Who am I kidding? It’s always hard for me to make breakfast. Jordan’s lucky if she gets cereal. If she’s really lucky, I was in the mood to make pancakes the previous weekend and froze the leftovers.

Now that school is coming upon us, I anticipate the need for lots of quick breakfasts. Something the kids can grab on their way out the door. Muffins are perfect for quick breakfasts, and they’re even more perfect if they have Fruity Pebbles inside.

I love Fruity Pebbles more than any adult should. They are my kryptonite. It’s so hard for me not to simply attack the box with a spoon, then give up on the spoon and simply pour them down my throat.

So, by making them into muffins, I get to enjoy my favorite cereal…with one of my favorite breakfasts: Muffins!

These fit right in with Back to School Week, and I can guarantee your kids will love them. It’s a muffin filled with a kid cereal, what’s not to love?

Did you know they make Cocoa Pebbles too? And ones with marshmallows? I’m afraid to buy either of those. I went shopping at Walgreens last week for some pharmacy stuff, walked through the cereal aisle and couldn’t resist! Pick up some school supplies at Walgreens and get some cereal – then you just need muffins and you’re all set!

Not only are these muffins kid-friendly, they’re also lower in fat. The muffin base is my mom’s recipe for blueberry muffins (coming soon!) but I took out most of the oil and substituted greek yogurt. It adds some protein to the muffins and takes out some fat. I don’t like getting rid of all the oil, because using just yogurt changes the texture too much. With just two tablespoons of oil, these muffins are much healthier and chewier from the yogurt, but they’re still dense and fluffy like muffins should be.

If you don’t like using yogurt in your muffins, that’s fine. I’ve added a note in the recipe with the substitution. But give the yogurt a go – you might be surprised!

Kind of like I was when I realized the light burned out. Surprised in a good way!

Fruity Pebbles Muffins

Fruity Pebbles Muffins

• 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup Nonfat Vanilla or Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 2 cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal, plus more for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with liners and spray with cooking spray. (The lack of fat in the muffins make them stick to the liners - you need the spray.)
  2. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in yogurt, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until no lumps remain from the yogurt.
  3. Switch to a wooden spoon or spatula, and stir in sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add half the flour and half the milk, stir carefully. Add remaining flour and milk and stir until combined. Stir in cereal.
  4. Scoop into liners. I use just shy of 1/4 cup of batter (using an ice cream scoop). It will fill up the muffin liner. These should grow up, not over the liner, so it’s okay they’re a little full. Sprinkle each muffin with a bit of cereal for garnish.
  5. Bake for about 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. (Check at 15 minutes. I’ve had batches of this same muffin go 15, and some go 18.)
  6. Cool slightly before eating.

Notes

If you don't like using yogurt in your muffins, take out the yogurt and oil listed and instead use 1/2 cup vegetable oil in their place.

Be sure to come back tomorrow for more Back to School recipes!

Skinny Chocolate Muffins

Skinny-chocolate-muffins11-1w

Petite Vanilla Scones

copycat-petite-vanilla-scones (3 of 5)w

Thanks for reading!

67 Responses to “Fruity Pebbles Muffins”

1. Michelle posted on August 12, 2013 at 3:26 am (#)

Fun! Love the “skinny” version too! The colors are great!

2. tanya posted on August 12, 2013 at 4:37 am (#)

In our old neighborhood we had a street light right in front of our house. It became very comforting. When we moved, we did not have a street light in front of us and I had trouble sleeping in real darkness!! I know how you feel! Dorothy, my kids may want to live with you after this recipe! Who could resist Fruity Pebble Muffins???

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:45 am

I know I can’t! It’s killing me not downing the box!!

3. Laura @ Lauras baking talent posted on August 12, 2013 at 5:08 am (#)

Love this idea!

4. Tieghan posted on August 12, 2013 at 5:15 am (#)

These are so fun and since they have fruity pebbles I might actually be able to get my brothers to try them……which would be down right amazing! They never try anything I make.

Love all the color!

5. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on August 12, 2013 at 5:53 am (#)

Winter mornings are brutal. One reason I am so sad summer is leaving us. Good bye morning personality! On the other hand, these look incredible! So colorful and fun, and I love using yogurt in baking. My siblings would adore these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I just want it to be cooler. And for Jordan to go to bed in the dark, lol. :)

6. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:05 am (#)

Now THIS is creative! I love how colorful they are! About a year ago, I made bars with Fruit Loops, marshmallows and Malibu Rum. These muffins remind me of those. They’d be very colorful cousins together :)

• Francesca replied on August 12th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hehe – with Rum? Maybe not quite so kid friendly then..! I love using cereals in baking. These are very fun indeed and I love seeing the fruity colours shine through :) Thanks Dorothy.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I bet Rum would make these even better. :)

7. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

You poor thing! AH those neighbors sound awful!! This is why Michael says he wants to live in a house far away from other houses lol. I love these muffins-who doesn’t love fruity pebbles!? PLUS the base is genius. Gotta love Greek yogurt in baked goods too! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 8:04 pm

That sounds like a good plan!

8. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:47 am (#)

Muffins with fruity pebbles in them is a genius idea and I love the base recipe with greek yogurt.

9. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl posted on August 12, 2013 at 8:30 am (#)

I am not a kid (but at heart I am) but Fruity Pebbles are still one of my favorite cereals, ever. I had so many great Saturday mornings watching Saved By The Bell with this cereal. These muffins are amazing, thanks for sharing!

10. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on August 12, 2013 at 9:49 am (#)

I used to manage a hotel and people would leave comments on their survey that the curtains let in a 1/4 in of light from the parking lot and they couldn’t sleep! Light is a real issue when it comes to sleep! I would have thrown rocks at that light a long time ago :) These muffins look yummy and I love the substitution!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

LOL, I think about that at almost every hotel, although it doesn’t usually bother me. I hate noise even more. Like the yappy dog these neighbors have. :) Thanks Julie!!

11. alex posted on August 12, 2013 at 10:57 am (#)

I should not have read this post today! I LOVE Fruity Pebbles and Muffins! so you just made my day! I might not be able to share! so creative!

12. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on August 12, 2013 at 10:59 am (#)

I’m going to make these. Seriously my kids are going to love me! Thanks!

13. Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper posted on August 12, 2013 at 11:13 am (#)

These are so cute! And I’m afraid of the dark too ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’m glad it’s not just me!! :) As an adult it feels weird, but I never grew out of it!

14. Pingback: Cocoa Pebbles Dirt Pudding - Alida's Kitchen

15. Tahnycooks posted on August 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm (#)

These are the cutest muffins ever! I love that you used a not so healthy cereal and made them healthy by using the yogurt! Brilliant! My boys would grab and gobble these down for sure!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I know, it’s a way to get the good and the bad! :)

16. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on August 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm (#)

Fruity Pebbles are my FAVE! Gosh, I loved them so much as a kid :) I’m a weirdo, but I loved that they got so soggy so quickly -I’m the only person who likes soggy cereal! :) These muffins looks so fun and delicious! The perfect breakfast – for young and old! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Thanks Jennifer! It’s all I can do not to pour the rest of the box down my throat, seriously!

17. Alida posted on August 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm (#)

I love this idea! I have some leftover pebbles and am looking forward to trying these muffins.

18. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm (#)

The building next to our has motion lights and our neighbors walk along the side of their place…. A LOT. So the light shines right into our bedroom and I’m such a light sleeper so the instant light always wakes me. I’ve thought about going next door, with a ladder and just slightly loosen the bulb. I figure it would shadier if I removed the whole light bulb. :)

These muffins are so cute! The bright colors would perk me up in the morning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

LOL, I thought about that too. Lights at night make no sense! :)

19. Steph @ Crafting in the Rain posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:16 pm (#)

Those look so fun!

20. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm (#)

This is such a cute idea. I love the fruity pebbles contrasted on the vanilla muffin!

21. Pingback: Fruity Pebbles Muffins {Crazy For Crust} | Oh So Yummy

22. Heather @ French Press posted on August 12, 2013 at 8:22 pm (#)

sheer brilliance Dorothy!

23. Melissa posted on August 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm (#)

Dorothy- as usual, your photography and food styling is stunning. Love the contrast of colors. My nephews would love these muffins!

24. Kathy posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:14 am (#)

My kids would love these! They are so cute!

25. sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:32 am (#)

Dorothy, these are so cute and what a great idea for the kiddos — probably the moms and hubbies will love them too! Love your presentation! Rockin’ the Pebbles!!!

26. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 13, 2013 at 9:43 am (#)

What a great breakfast muffin – yogurt and fruity pebbles! My husband and I still love all the kid cereals – fruity pebbles included! :) These look delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I am addicted to kid cereal! SO good. :)

27. Pingback: Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream Sandwiches

28. Shari posted on August 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm (#)

Oh Dorothy, I am definitely going to have to make these for my daughter. She LOVES fruity cereal! What a wonderful idea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Shari! I hope she loves them!

29. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on August 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm (#)

Haha, these are so fun!! I love it. I definitely am checking out your skinny chocolate muffins too!

30. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

Yeeeeeep, I knew we were friends for a reason :) my all-time favorite cereal in a plush little muffin!

31. Amy posted on August 13, 2013 at 10:54 pm (#)

(1) Our neighbors do the EXACT same thing! Except with their front porch light. (We share a driveway, so our houses face each other. Strange, I know.) But we finally put up a black cloth over the window so I could get some sleep. I need 100% darkness!

(2) My brother LOVED Fruity Pebbles as a kid! It was basically the only cereal he ate. And one time, when we refused to eat raisins in my grandpa’s coffee cake, he added Fruity Pebbles instead. It’s now become a tradition to make his coffee cake with Fruity Pebbles! (I actually “healthified” it and posted the recipe on my blog this spring. Funny coincidence!) I’ll have to try turning the coffee cake into muffins!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:46 am

I need curtains in there, but they’re so darn expensive! And two of the windows are the bathroom, and I just don’t know how to put curtains in a bathroom, that would be dark! :)

• Amy replied on August 15th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Hmm… My parents put sheer curtains in one of the bathrooms at home. If you stick them on more of a dowel rod, could you push them off to the side and out of the way during the day? (Or shut the bathroom door at night and not add curtains?…)

32. Angela posted on August 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm (#)

I just made these today and they’re great! Thanks for the tip on spraying the liners. I was a bit weary when I had the dough mixed up and ready to bake because it seemed way too thick and sticky. They even looked tough once they were baked. Don’t let that fool you! Do not be discouraged! :) These are yummy and soft. Nice vanilla muffin base and light fruity flavors. Love the use of vanilla greek yogurt too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:43 am

Thanks Angela! I know they get a exterior that doesn’t match the interior! I’ve gotten to the point where I spray all my muffin liners no matter what because I’ve had so many problems with peeling muffins!

33. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on August 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm (#)

These are so pretty, Dorothy! We started back to school yesterday, and my kiddo doesn’t want to eat a THING in the mornings (???), but I’m thinking he might go for a Fruity Pebble studded muffin. Because really, who wouldn’t? ;-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:42 am

He’d be crazy not too!

34. Pingback: 50 Back to School Ideas from Breakfast to Snack - Crazy for Crust

35. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on August 16, 2013 at 8:51 am (#)

Yum-o! Those sound delicious!

36. Pingback: Pumpkin Coffee Cake - Crazy for Crust

37. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on August 19, 2013 at 1:09 pm (#)

You and I are two peas in a pod. No way do I like to get up early to make breakfast foods. I am always looking for fun breakfast food that I can make the day before…in the afternoon…for my kids to eat the next morning. They would love these fun muffins for sure!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 19th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I think of you every time Jordan asks me to make something at 6am, lol. You and I are on the same wavelength!

38. Pingback: Lemon Blueberry Muffins {with white chocolate glaze} - Crazy for Crust

39. Lisa posted on January 26, 2014 at 10:47 am (#)

I love the fruity pebbles in these..what can we dream up with luck charms? Maybe like a rice krispie treat..I’ll get back with you..also I use night lights all over my house I “say” they are for guests and to make it safer to walk at night..HA! They are for ME, I am petrified of the dark- so get a 4 pack at Home Depot of the ones that turn off in the light and back on at dark and rest easy :-).

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2014 at 8:02 am

I want to try them with Lucky Charms now!! :) I wish our house was situated for night lights. Every single plug is in plain view of a bed. It’s annoying!

40. sharon posted on March 3, 2014 at 7:58 am (#)

I wish you were my neighbor. I had a coupon to get free Fruity Pebbles, so obviously I got them. We hate them! We only like chocolate. I would give the box to you if you were here. Anyway, thanks for posting the recipe. I am a teacher and we are out of school today for snow. I am going to make the muffins and take them to school tomorrow. The kids will love them and I will get rid of the box of cereal. Thanks!

41. Landon posted on June 13, 2014 at 8:56 pm (#)

What do you substitute instead of yogurt???

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2014 at 6:49 am

You can omit the 2 tablespoons of oil + yogurt and just add 1/2 cup oil. Or you can omit the yogurt, keep the 2 tablespoons of oil and add applesauce or a banana (1/3 cup).

42. Pingback: Back-to-school Snack Ideas - Crunchy Creamy Sweet

43. Pingback: 12 Days of Easy Muffins: Never skip breakfast again! - The Weary Chef