Jun 17

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies

I am so, so excited to have my BFF Lisa from Wine & Glue here today! Lisa and I met about a year ago and we bonded over our love of rainbows, cookie butter, and cocktails. Let’s give her a warm welcome, shall we?

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies.  The sweet mixture of Orange and Chocolate with the added bonus of delicious spices, and smothered in a glaze.

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies

Hey Crazy for Crust readers!  My name is Lisa, and I blog over at Wine & Glue.  I’m a mom, and on the side I like to pretend that I’m a baker, a chef, a party planner, a seamstress, and a graphic designer.

I am so happy to be here to help Dorothy out while she enjoys some much deserved R&R with her family.  One of the things I love most about Dorothy (and seriously I could go on and on with all the things I love about Dorothy and make this the most awkward post ever) is how supportive she is of other bloggers.  So when she asked me to guest post for her, I jumped at the chance to help her out.

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies

This recipe comes from my grandma, but has been adapted to be more to my liking, taking out lard and putting in butter, taking out nuts, and adjusting all the ingredients so that it can be cooked on a smaller scale.

Grandma liked to cook for the whole city.

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies

These cookies come together so easily, really, you just mix it all together at once, form into little balls and bake them.  They are so delicious warm and right out of the oven, or you can let them cool and dip them in powdered sugar and milk to give them a nice glaze.

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies

• 3 cups sifted flour
  • 3 tsps baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • the juice of one orange
  • the zest of one orange (optional)
  • 1 TBSP cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs (beaten)
  • 6 TBSPs butter softened
  • 1/2 cup milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Put all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine.
  3. Shape the cookies into small balls and bake for 15 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  4. Once cooled dip in glaze (recipe below).
Glaze
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 TBSP milk
  1. Whisk the sugar and milk until well combined.
  2. Drizzle over cookies or dip them in.
  3. Note:  For a thicker glaze on the cookies, increase the amount of powdered sugar.

Want another recipe from my grandma made modern?  How about some Cookie Butter Biscotti?

Looking for more Orange Chocolate deliciousness?

Fudgey Brownies with Orange Frosting
Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls

Connect with Lisa from Wine & Glue:
Blog / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest/ Etsy

Thanks for the amazing recipe Lisa! I am SO making those. But I think I want the “whole neighborhood” measurements. You know, so I can eat them all. :)

Excuse me, I’m off to fight my way through the Radiator Springs Racers Fast Track line now…

45 Responses to “Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies”

1. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on June 17, 2013 at 3:01 am (#)

Love orange spice cookies! The chocolate obviously doesn.t hurt, either ;)

2. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on June 17, 2013 at 5:15 am (#)

I don’t think I’ve ever had organge spice cookies before. It sounds like I’m missing out on something amazing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I so need to try them! They sounded so good. :)

3. Tieghan posted on June 17, 2013 at 5:19 am (#)

I have never had orange spice cookies, but if they have chocolate and looks like these I will surely give them a try!

4. tanya posted on June 17, 2013 at 5:22 am (#)

Yum! Chocolate and orange are amazing together!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I know!! I’m a new convert. Love the combo!

5. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on June 17, 2013 at 5:31 am (#)

These look incredible. I love the combination of orange and chocolate!

6. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on June 17, 2013 at 7:00 am (#)

These look incredible. I love the glaze- I think I could eat that just off a spoon!

7. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on June 17, 2013 at 7:53 am (#)

Chocolate and nutmeg? Hmm, I just might have to try that. Sounds like a new and exciting flavor combo!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I know! I need to try it. I love cinnamon and chocolate, so cinnamon and nutmeg has to be good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I mean chocolate and nutmeg! :)

8. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on June 17, 2013 at 9:08 am (#)

These look incredible, Dorothy! So soft, fluffy and amazingly delicious with that glaze. Gorgeous!

9. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on June 17, 2013 at 9:12 am (#)

Two of my favorite flavors together and in a cookie….how amazing!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Cathy! Lisa is amazing!

10. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on June 17, 2013 at 9:54 am (#)

Chocolate and Orange is always such a great combination! And the touch of spices put this recipe over the top.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I know, I need to try them!

11. Cate @ Chez CateyLou posted on June 17, 2013 at 1:35 pm (#)

What a unique cookie! It sounds like an amazing flavor combo!

12. Nessa posted on June 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm (#)

Really interesting flavor mix! Sounds delicious :)

13. Miss Messy posted on June 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm (#)

What a lovely combination! :)

14. Michele posted on June 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm (#)

I love the idea of orange and chocolate. Cookies are my favorite. Can’t wait to try these!

15. Amy posted on June 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm (#)

I love how soft and puffy these cookies look! And I doubt there’s ever such a thing as too many cookies…

My guy and I loved the Radiator Springs Racers ride! We went on it as single riders so we didn’t have to wait quite so long. Even the FastPass line was over 1.5 hours! (We did go less than a month after it opened though.) Hope you’re having lots of fun!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:50 pm

It was SO amazing! One of the best rides. And now fastpass is so short, if you get in line as soon as the park opens. :)

• Amy replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Ooooh good to know! I’m hoping to take a trip down to Disneyland before 2013 is over… :P

16. Cookie posted on June 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm (#)

I bet they smell just like October when they’re baking! Chocolate orange and orange spice are both a great pair, but I would have never thought of combining them. Yummy!

17. Heather @ French Press posted on June 17, 2013 at 8:37 pm (#)

Lisa, these sound delicious. I love orange and chocolate, and pretty much spice makes it even better…great combo

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I totally need to make them, they sound SO good!

18. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on June 17, 2013 at 9:41 pm (#)

These look great Lisa! Thanks for the recipe!

19. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on June 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm (#)

These cookies sound warm and delicious and wonderful. I think this is how Spain might taste. I’ve never been there. I’m just guessing. If you like rainbows, you have to come visit me during the rainy season, aka winter. You can still wear shorts and flip flops. Just grab a hoodie and your camera and wait for the rainbows. It’s awesome!

20. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on June 18, 2013 at 10:22 am (#)

These look so soft and puffy! And the glaze? YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Thanks Lindsay! I’m kinda mad she didn’t send me some. ;)

• Lisa @ Wine & Glue replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Lol! I was totally going to!! . . . . And then they disappeared :)

21. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on June 18, 2013 at 10:40 am (#)

Great Guest Post! These cookies look amazing!

23. Pingback: Kit Kat Cookies - Crazy for Crust