May 03

Lemon Bars with a King’s Hawaiian Crust

{This post is brought to you by King’s Hawaiian.}

These lemon bars are thick, rich, and full of white chocolate and lemon flavors. Plus…they have a crust made out of King’s Hawaiian Dinner Rolls!

Lemon-Bars-Kings-Hawaiian2

You know how much I love lemon. And you know how much I love bread.

It was only a matter of time before I married the two.

Have you ever had a King’s Hawaiian Dinner Roll? Who am I kidding, you probably have. And, if you’re anything like me, you inhale four of them before you even realize it.

{They sell four packs. Those are meant to serve one, right?}

Crust is kind of my thing. It’s what I’m, well, crazy for, obvi. So, when the opportunity arrises to make a crust out of something that’s not usually a crust sort of thing, I’m gonna jump at that chance, wholeheartedly. Especially when it involves King’s Hawaiian bread.

I love lemon bars…and I wanted to make a new version. A Dorothy version, shall we say. These lemon bars have the best drink ever in them: sweetened condensed milk.

{What? SCM isn’t a drink? Whatever. You don’t know what you’re missing.}

Anyway, I know you’ll love these bars. Lemon, white chocolate, and a King’s Hawaiian Crust. Head on over to the King’s Hawaiian Blog to get the recipe or go here to read the blog post.. I’m a contributor over there, did you know that? Once a month I’ll be bringing you a new and fabulous creation made with your favorite bread. You’re welcome.

What are you waiting for? Go on and get the recipe!

Enjoy!

As a King’s Hawaiian Contributor, I am paid to develop recipes for their blog. All opinions are 100% my own, because, well, I think their bread is the most amazing thing ever. Read my full disclosure statement here.

67 Responses to “Lemon Bars with a King’s Hawaiian Crust”

1. tanya posted on May 3, 2013 at 4:23 am (#)

Wow a crust with Hawaiian rolls, who would’ve thought? You of course, because you are a genius. I love lemon too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 am

Thanks Tanya!

2. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on May 3, 2013 at 5:17 am (#)

I’ve never tried Hawaiian dinner rolls, but they sound delicious! This recipe sounds fanastic as well. I look forward to trying this one out!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 am

OMG you must find them an try them. Orange packages. SOOO good and sweet. :)

3. Tieghan posted on May 3, 2013 at 5:19 am (#)

WOW! What a creative bar!! They look awesome Dorothy! Heading over to check the recipe out now!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks Tieghan!

4. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on May 3, 2013 at 5:21 am (#)

I’m a little crazy for lemons, especially in lemon bar form. Thanks for the recipe, these sound great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks Kelly!

5. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on May 3, 2013 at 5:26 am (#)

You are so creative! Definitely a crust queen! What!? The world didn’t know SCM isn’t a drink? Thanks for setting us all straight. That looks like a great new lemon bar recipe and since I love rolls, especially theirs, then I know I will love those bars! (That is, if there is any rolls to be baked with. Me alone the package just isn’t good:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 am

LOL, thanks so much!

6. Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke posted on May 3, 2013 at 6:33 am (#)

Just pinned, these sound delicious!!

7. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on May 3, 2013 at 6:34 am (#)

I think I’m in heaven — I love lemons and bread too! The combination sounds so good, especially since Hawaiian Rolls are of my absolute favorites! Can’t wait to see your next great creation with bread!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks Sheila!

8. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on May 3, 2013 at 6:42 am (#)

Holy moly. My fam is obsessed with those rolls (we have our leftover Thanksgiving turkey sammies on them) and with lemon bars. The two in one? Done deal. You are so creative!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thanks Erin! I’m craving one right now reading all these comments! :)

9. Jennifer | Bake or Break posted on May 3, 2013 at 7:13 am (#)

I’ve never thought to use something like that in a crust! They look delicious. I’ve had a hard time finding King’s Hawaiian since we moved to NYC. Maybe I need to ramp up my search!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:36 am

Oh, I would be so sad about that! Good luck Jennifer!

10. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on May 3, 2013 at 8:17 am (#)

So creative! They do make the best rolls, so the crust must be amazing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thanks Jennifer!

11. michelle posted on May 3, 2013 at 8:39 am (#)

yep must make! congrats on being a contributor over at kings too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thanks Michelle!

12. Emily ~SoDomesticated~ posted on May 3, 2013 at 9:08 am (#)

Can’t wait to check these yummies out! Headed over there right now :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks Emily!

13. Lindsay@Life, Live and Sugar posted on May 3, 2013 at 9:12 am (#)

Brilliant! I NEVER would’ve thought to use bread in a crust! That bread is seriously the best! And the four pack is totally meant for one ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:33 am

Ha, thanks Lindsay!

14. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on May 3, 2013 at 9:57 am (#)

How cool is that? You are so creative!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks Tonia!

15. Holly posted on May 3, 2013 at 10:15 am (#)

Love love love anything lemon! These look amazing! (as all your stuff always does!) :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thanks Holly!!

16. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen posted on May 3, 2013 at 11:02 am (#)

These look and sound amazing, I love that they have white chocolate in them too! Off to check out the recipe! (Oh and sweetened condensed milk is absolutely a drink.)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thanks Rosie, glad I’m not the only one that thinks that! :)

17. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on May 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm (#)

How do you come up with these ideas? Love the crust!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:11 am

Thanks Julie!

18. mr. & Mrs. P posted on May 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm (#)

Love hawaiian rolls!! Sure we will love these lemon bars!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:11 am

Thanks so much!

20. Kathy posted on May 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm (#)

How awesome are these bars! Who would have thought that you could use bread for a crust!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:05 am

Thanks Kathy!

21. Sheila posted on May 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm (#)

Way to go Dorothy!! These sound fantastic? I bet adding some blueberries to the batter would be great too!! Keep up the great work girlfriend!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:05 am

Oh, yeah! Thanks Sheila!

22. Sue {munchkin munchies} posted on May 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm (#)

What a fantabulous idea for the crust! I love the King’s Hawaiian loaf:) I just tear it apart to eat it~YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:04 am

Yup, pretty much me too! Thanks Sue!

23. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on May 4, 2013 at 12:13 am (#)

I love love love Hawaiian bread. King’s is the best, but over here, you can get Portuguese sweet bread at a lot of places, which is essentially what King’s is. If you’re ever on my island, you have to go to Leonard’s bakery and try their malasadas and pao doce. It’s right across the street from my house. I have been known to buy a 12 pack of rolls and sneak them throughout the day with a bit of butter. They don’t last more than two days.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:04 am

Those sound amazing!!!

24. Cindy Eikenberg posted on May 4, 2013 at 3:15 am (#)

Dorothy, oh my, lover of lemon here thinks these sound (an look) amazing!!! Am pinning and thank you for sharing the recipe! Have a fabulous weekend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thank you Cindy!

25. Loretta / A Finn In The Kitchen posted on May 4, 2013 at 5:01 am (#)

I’m intrigued Dorothy! Never heard of these rolls before, but they look normal enough ;) I never would have guessed they weren’t a regular crust! I guess that’s part of your culinary genius…

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 7:03 am

Thanks Loretta! The rolls are sweet, so they lend themselves perfectly to dessert!

26. Jackie posted on May 4, 2013 at 9:50 am (#)

oh wow, sounds SO scrumptious!

27. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on May 4, 2013 at 11:51 am (#)

I LOVE THOSE ROLLS! Hands down, the best rolls I’ve ever had. I remember eating them all the time with ham and pineapple when I was growing up. Seriously – it’s actually really good! Love the combo with the lemon bars too. So creative!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Sally! I agree, best rolls ever!

28. melody judd posted on May 4, 2013 at 1:19 pm (#)

I have about 6 lemons left on my tree…these sound delish!!! gonna go get me a big 1 to try these out..love lemon bars of any kind thank you for posting this one!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Melody!

29. Ala posted on May 4, 2013 at 5:24 pm (#)

Every time I’m feeling unwell and “can’t eat anything else” (and I don’t know who I’m kidding here, since I LOVE King’s Hawaiian bread), I buy myself an entire 12-pack of dinner rolls and scarf em down. And buy again. And repeat. How’d you come up with the idea for these? They look fantastic!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Totally the story of my life Ala!! :)

30. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on May 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm (#)

Oh yum. What a great idea for a crust. Those rolls are da bomb!

31. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on May 5, 2013 at 12:08 am (#)

King’s Hawaiian Rolls are the best eaten plain or with a thick slice of ham! Never heard of them being made into a crust before though. Great Idea! I can only imagine how good these lemon bars are.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Nicole! I love, love them plain!

32. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on May 5, 2013 at 5:16 am (#)

Wow oh wow. How would of ever thought to use the rolls for a crust in a dessert! Great job!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Nancy!

33. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on May 5, 2013 at 6:01 am (#)

Oh my goodness, you know Hawaiian rolls are my favorite, right?? I can’t believe you made a crust out of them! You, my friend, are a culinary genius.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Aw, thanks Ashley!!

34. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on May 6, 2013 at 9:14 am (#)

Aaaaaand bring on the fat pants, please. A Hawaiian bread crust? Holy omfg.

35. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on May 7, 2013 at 3:35 am (#)

These look awesome Dorothy! SCM is def a drink. But pour to glass first to avoid cutting your lip :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 6:21 am

Ha! I am so afraid of cans, I sliced my finger open on one a few years ago and actually passed out. A glass for sure. :)

36. Valerie posted on June 6, 2013 at 8:21 pm (#)

Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls are the best, they even make hamburger buns and it makes for an awesome hamburger. I can’t wait to make your lemon bars. Thanks for posting.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 8th, 2013 at 3:31 pm