Mar 19

Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake

Perfect for Spring, this Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake pops with tart and sweet flavor! A lemon cake mix is combined with Duncan Hines Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations to create an explosion of pink lemonade flavor and color!

pink-lemonade-swirl-bundt-cake

When I received my Frosting Creations samples from Duncan Hines as part of their Passionate Blogger program, I jumped for joy at two of the flavors: the Key Lime Pie and the Pink Lemonade. You could say I’m obsessed with the tart and sweet flavor of citrus desserts right now. Which is really weird, because until a year ago when I first tasted a Lemonade Girl Scout Cookie I hated lemon in desserts. I would not eat it AT ALL. Now? Now I can’t get enough!

To illustrate my obsession and the fact that I probably need a Citrus 12-step Program: In the last few months I have made Lemon Pound Cake, Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge, Lemon Ice Cream, Lemon Sweet Rolls, Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, and Key Lime Pie Cookie Cups. And guess what? My fabulous mother-in-law just brought me another bag of lemons!

So are you ready for just one more lemony dessert? {Who am I kidding? One more this week is what I should say.}

Good, because I made you a cake. Spring-in-a-bite!

pink-lemonade-swirl-bundt-cake

And what is more springy then a lemon cake? With it’s bright yellow hue and hot pink accents, this cake screams, “I’m 75 degrees and I’m wearing flip flops and capris!”

Citrus reminds me of spring, and I am ready for Spring, are you? I am so looking forward to more sunshine, warmth, flip flops and short sleeved shirts. After months of wearing boots and sweaters, I’m bored of my closet.

This cake is the perfect balance of tart and sweet. As soon as I saw the Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations packet, I knew I wanted to make this cake. I remembered a beautiful strawberry bundt cake that my friend Joan from Chocolate, Chocolate, and More made last year and it was so beautiful I knew I wanted to make my own version of it someday.

Seriously, this is probably the easiest cake I’ve ever made. I used a Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix and reserved 1 cup of the batter, into which you mix one packet of Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations. Half of the remaining cake mix goes in the bottom of your bundt pan. Top that with the pink lemonade cake batter, then top the whole thing with the rest of your lemon cake batter. Bake it up and you get a gorgeous swirl of neon pink in the center of your cake!

pink-lemonade-swirl-bundt-cake

Then: time for frosting. Did you know that you can melt canned frosting to pouring consistency? I don’t remember where I got that tip from, but it was the best tip ever! Reserve a little white frosting from your can, and mix another Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations packed into the remaining. Heat each for a few seconds in the microwave (no more than 30 seconds, probably less!) and pour into a sandwich baggie. Cut of the corner and pipe onto your cake. I love this firecracker pattern, but you can do it however you want!  Once the cake chills a little bit, the frosting hardens up back to it’s normal consistency, perfect for serving. It’s really a genius way to frost a cake.

I ate way more of this than I should have. But in my defense, it was SO good. I could have eaten all of it if I didn’t give slices away to my friends. I’m like one of those guys that sneaks up to people on the city streets, “hey you wanna buy a watch?” and opens his trench coat. Except, my trench is hot pink and has racks of cake and cookies inside, so way better.

pink-lemonade-swirl-bundt-cake

Hey, you wanna buy a piece of Spring? Make this cake!

Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake

1 hour, 30 minutes

Yield: 12 servings

Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake

• 1 Duncan Hines Lemon Cake mix
  • (stuff on box)
  • 2 packets Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations
  • 1 can Frosting Creations Starter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a bundt pan.
  2. Mix cake mix, eggs, oil, and water (package directions)
  3. Pour 1 cup of batter into a measuring cup. Stir in 1 packet Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations.
  4. Place half of remaining lemon cake batter in the bottom of your bundt pan. Carefully pour the pink lemonade batter evenly over the top, and then pour the remaining lemon cake over the pink lemonade batter.
  5. Bake 38-40 minutes, until a toothpick at the edge comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from pan.
  6. Once cool, remove cake to a serving plate. I like to take three strips of wax paper and place them under the edges of the cake so that after frosting, once the wax paper is removed, the plate is clean.
  7. Open the can of frosting. Place 1/4 cup of it in a small microwave safe bowl. Set aside for the moment. Stir the remaining frosting creations pink lemonade packet into the can of frosting. Remove spoon and foil, and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and place in a ziploc sandwich bag. Seal the bag, all but 1/2” at one end, and cut off the opposite tip. Pipe over cake in a firecracker type pattern.
  8. Heat reserved white frosting for 10-15 seconds in the microwave. Place in its own ziploc sandwich bag and repeat the drizzle process. Chill until set before cutting.

Notes

If you can't find the Pink Lemonade Frosting Creations, you can substitute pink lemonade drink mix!

Other citrus goodness you might enjoy:

Coconut Key Lime Pie Cookie Cups

Coconut-Key-Lime-Pie-Cookie-Cups08-1 words

Lemon Pound Cake

lemon-pound-cake-1-words

Easy No-Rise Lemon Sweet Rolls

Lemon Sweet Rolls 1 words

Citrus from friends:
Lemon Chess Bread Pudding from Something Swanky
Lemon Crumb Squares by Chocolate, Chocolate, and More
Lemon Layer Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting by Love and Olive Oil

{I am part of the Duncan Hines Passionate Blogger program and I received samples of their products to try. All opinions are 100% my own.} The Pink Lemonade Frosting Creation packets are a limited edition product so get yours quick! If you can’t find the product, email me and I can give you substitutions!

98 Responses to “Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake”

1. keri @ shaken together posted on March 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm (#)

I love lemon anything and I love the pink lemonade in this Bundt cake! I’ll definitely have to grab a few of those frosting creations!

2. Tonii posted on March 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm (#)

This looks looks ridiculously good to me right now!! Pink Lemonade is one of my all-time faves…a cake would just make it that much better! Thanks for sharing!!

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on March 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm (#)

i want that pool of frosting in the center of the bundt. My favorite part. LOVE lemons too…this sounds perfect!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:15 am

Me too! That center – it was hard not to eat it all myself!

4. Mom posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm (#)

Wow, it turned out beautiful. Very Springy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:14 am

And it’s your favorite flavor, lol. ;)

5. Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

The pink and white icing swirls look soo good! I love lemony, tart dessert flavors!

6. Alyssa posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:26 pm (#)

This looks so great, perfect for spring! I really love the pink lemonade swirl in the middle of the bundt cake!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:12 am

Me too, it’s my favorite part! Thanks Alyssa!

7. Gayathri Ramanan posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:33 pm (#)

wow..looks creamy and delicious..

8. Jess posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:43 pm (#)

This looks amazing!! I would love for you to share this at my Link Up! :)

9. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm (#)

This bundt cake looks so dainty with pastel colors. Perfect for spring :)

10. Rachel @ BubblyNatureCreations.com posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm (#)

3 ingredients??!! Sounds wonderful!!! I am SO ready for spring, but I guess spring isn’t ready for us yet… sigh. 40’s and 50’s just doesn’t cut it….lol

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:11 am

I know, it’s raining here today. Makes me want this sunshine cake even more!

11. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm (#)

Last year around this time I made pink lemonade bars using pink lemonade. I can still taste them!

I love this cake and the flavors and the pretty swirls!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:09 am

Thanks Averie! I bet those bars are awesome!

12. Jacqueline @ BakeItWithBooze posted on March 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm (#)

This looks so pretty! And very do-able.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Thanks Jacqueline! I can just taste it with lemoncello… :)

13. Heather @ French Press posted on March 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm (#)

what a gorgeous cake Dorothy! pink lemonade has always been my favorite

14. Pingback: Pink Lemonade Swirl | Lizzies Tips for Everyday Living

15. Summer @ Mallowandco posted on March 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm (#)

This cake does scream I’m 75 degrees and I’m wearing flip flops and capris!! Love it!

16. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on March 19, 2013 at 11:40 pm (#)

That pink swirl in the middle is perfect! And that pink and white icing dripping down the sides of the cake. Oh mama! I’ll take a slice of this cake and a hot sunny day please.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:07 am

It was SO good, I wish I could have shared! :) Thanks Nicole!

17. Pamela posted on March 20, 2013 at 2:56 am (#)

Dorothy this cake looks DELICIOUS! I was asked to make Pink Lemonade cupcakes next week for an order, and I am making lemon cupcakes, and I am also using the frosting creations packet, I see that your cake come out wonderful, so I hope my cupcakes come out yummy! Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:06 am

They’ll be delicious Pamela! I love that packet. :)

18. tanya posted on March 20, 2013 at 5:27 am (#)

I love all the lemon desserts!! Would you believe I have never made a bundt cake? I keep thinking of how my mom’s bundt cakes would be dense and with hardly any frosting. Which we all know is the whole reason we eat cake! I love, love, the frosting on THIS cake! And that swirl in the middle! Perfect Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:06 am

Thanks Tanya! I love the swirl, it’s my favorite part!

19. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection posted on March 20, 2013 at 5:48 am (#)

These are the cutest bunt cakes! I’m loving the lemon and lemonade flavors and pretty pink swirls throughout. Perfect for spring!!

20. Kathy posted on March 20, 2013 at 7:10 am (#)

Your cake is beautiful! It just screams “spring!” I am not a big lemon fan either but have been enjoying it more. This cake looks so easy! I just wish I had a bundt pan!

21. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on March 20, 2013 at 7:24 am (#)

I just love swirl cakes. They are so festive and you can always change the color for whatever occasion you are celebrating!

22. Kristin posted on March 20, 2013 at 8:08 am (#)

This would be perfect for Easter! I love lemon bundt cake. We’ve been making it forever.

23. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on March 20, 2013 at 8:25 am (#)

ok seriously… how can you turn down a cake with ALL of that pink and ALL of that swirl? Hands down the prettiest bundt cake I’ve ever seen.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I couldn’t, which is why I ate half! :)

24. Emily ~SoDomesticated~ posted on March 20, 2013 at 10:03 am (#)

Ooooo, so pretty and I’m sure delicious, too!

25. Jackie posted on March 20, 2013 at 11:40 am (#)

I was lucky enough to get to sample this recipe, and it was so tasty!
    Thanks again Dorothy!

26. Amy Tong posted on March 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm (#)

What an adorable cake. Yes, it’s perfect for Spring and I love the sweet and tang flavor combinations too.

27. Elizabeth Dick posted on March 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm (#)

Were do you by cake creations I live in Canada.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I’m not sure exactly where, but I do know they have them in Canada, Duncan Hines has a canadian website: http://www.duncanhines.ca I’ll do some more searching for you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I asked Facebook and it told me you can buy them at Superstore and Walmart if you have one of those near you!

28. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on March 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm (#)

LOVE! That is how I feel about this cake! It looks great, Dorothy! And I love the lemon cake mixes. Thanks for sharing, Dorothy!

29. Joan@Chocolate and More posted on March 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm (#)

Dorothy, I want to scream flop flops and capris!!! Your cake turned out so gorgeous, I love the hot colors, perfect for summertime. I have a confession to make. Duncan Hines Lemon Pound Cake is my all time favorite pound cake! They used to have the recipe for it on the side of the box when I was a kid. I hope they have the pink lemonade packets when I go to the store on Saturday. (I already have the cake mix in the cabinet.) And thanks for the lovely shout out.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 20th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Of course! You inspired me. :) And it’s quickly becoming my favorite too…

30. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on March 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm (#)

You are killing me with the amazing goodness of this cake! I am drooling all over my keyboard. I Love Pink Lemonade! and in a Cake?! Wowzer!

31. carrian posted on March 21, 2013 at 7:52 am (#)

This totally screams flip flops, like you said. I love it!

32. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on March 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm (#)

I am coming around to lemon too! LOVE this cake- so pretty and perfect for Spring.

I am afraid of the Frosting Creations… I tried mixing Cotton Candy in with some Rice Krispy Treats last year and they did not turn out well at all. Maybe time to try again? The pink lemonade always tempts me.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 21st, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Try a different flavor – the cotton candy one can be overwhelming. I loved the Chocolate Mint too!

33. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on March 21, 2013 at 7:42 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, Dorothy–this is so pretty! I want to stuff a huge piece of it in my mouth right now!

34. Cindy Harris posted on March 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm (#)

I collect bundt cake pans–I have the perfect pan for this cake! Thanks for sharing.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 22nd, 2013 at 6:37 am

I need more bundt cake pans. I need a collection! Thanks Cindy!

35. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on March 22, 2013 at 8:30 am (#)

I feel like a broken record saying this but, that pink swirl is so pretty!! This definitely yells go put on the flip flops and capris to me…to bad it’s only 30* here today!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 22nd, 2013 at 11:24 am

BOO! Mel is going to Chicago in a few weeks – I hope it gets warmer there for him. The snow needs to stop for you guys!

37. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on March 22, 2013 at 2:01 pm (#)

This is such a pretty cake and perfect for spring time!

38. Kim F posted on March 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm (#)

I can not find the pink lemonade flavor packet anywhere. Can you please email me possible substitutions. This cake looks so delicious!! I was hoping to make it this weekend but no luck with the flavor packet Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 23rd, 2013 at 7:22 am

Oh no Kim! I’m so sorry. You can substitute pink lemonade drink mix (or Kool-Aid). I’m not sure exactly how much to add to the frosting, so taste a little as you go! As for the cake, I’d say probably a few tablespoons!

• Kim F replied on March 23rd, 2013 at 7:48 am

thanks so much I’m going to try it today. :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 24th, 2013 at 11:32 am

Enjoy!

39. Tiffany@VintageMarigold posted on March 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm (#)

yum! i have lemon cake mix in the cupboard too*happy dance*-tiffany

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 24th, 2013 at 11:26 am

Perfect! Thanks Tiffany!

40. Pingback: 40 Spring Desserts: Perfect for Easter »

41. Jennifer {Bake or Break} posted on March 26, 2013 at 12:43 pm (#)

This is the happiest cake ever!

42. Paula posted on March 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm (#)

I think I am going to try a white cake with the strawberry shortcake frosting favor…see how that is. My kids don’t like lemon but I will try it too…love lemon!

43. Jes K posted on March 31, 2013 at 2:56 pm (#)

The grocery store didn’t have the pink lemonade flavor creations so I substituted the strawberry shortcake flavor and it was awesome too. I just called it the strawberry lemonade cake and it was a big hit at Easter dinner today!

44. Dana posted on March 31, 2013 at 3:07 pm (#)

So, funny thing with this cake. I bought the frosting creation starter and didnt think to check for any expiration dates… But I wouldn’t think it’d be from Nov.5th. 2012! Lol. I also picked up the cherry-vanilla flavor packets because they didnt have pink lemonade. It was still so yummy! I chucked the frosting can because I was not serving old frosting, of course. And instead made an awesome vanilla glaze! This cake was amazing! Lemon-cherry vanilla bundt cake with vanilla glaze. It had great flavor!

I plan on making this pink lemonade cake sooner than later, and will be looking for exp. dates on frosting cans! :)

Hope you had a great Easter!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 31st, 2013 at 4:01 pm

OMG I can’t believe that! I never think to check dates…now I guess I will! That’s what I love about this cake: it’s so versatile and can be used with any flavor! :) Thanks so much, and I hope your Easter was good too!

45. Brenda posted on April 30, 2013 at 10:13 am (#)

Has anyone seen these ‘frosting creations’ in Canada? Cake looks so delish and easy but we likely don’t have them.

Thx!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Yes! You can find them at Superstore and Walmart. :) Good luck!

• Brenda replied on April 30th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Thanks! Planning this for my daughter’s birthday. Will let you know how it goes. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 6:20 am

Yay! Happy birthday to her, and I hope she loves it! If you can’t find the pink lemonade frosting creations, you can use a packet of Kool Aid!

46. Tenns posted on June 15, 2013 at 10:20 pm (#)

This cake reminds me of the raspberry swirl Lund cake at Starbucks, but with a girly look to it. Would be a great afternoon tea cake or baby/bridal shower cake as well.

47. Pingback: Links I'm Loving: Gold theme party ideas, Despicable Me cupcakes, and more | Chickabug

48. Pingback: Happy Birthday 40-Cakes Parade (Cake Round-Up) - Will Cook For Smiles

49. Pingback: The Duncan Hines Test Kitchen - Crazy for Crust

50. Pingback: Bundt Cake Recipe Roundup | Barbara Bakes

51. Tracy Sanchez posted on January 1, 2014 at 4:37 pm (#)

Hey Dorothy! Do you happen to know if I can purchase the pink lemonade flavor creation all year long or is it seasonal? I would love to make this cake for Olivia’s birthday this weekend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 2nd, 2014 at 6:32 am

I think it’s seasonal, but you can use Kool-Aid or a pink lemonade drink mix! I think the packet is a few tablespoons. I’d add 1-2 tablespoons and then taste to see if it’s strong enough for your liking! Happy birthday to her!

52. Pingback: 50 Bundt Pan Recipes - Chocolate Chocolate and More!

53. Michelle posted on July 3, 2014 at 3:24 pm (#)

Want to make this, but no longer can find the Creations …. they must have discontinued them. I know you said drink mix would work, how about jello????

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 3rd, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Yes, I think Jell-O would work, do they have a pink lemonade version? Or a lemon would be good too! I would use about 1 small package (I think they are 3 ounces).

54. Pingback: Banana Bundt Cake {with cream cheese frosting} - Crazy for Crust