Mar 31

The Best Orange Frosted Brownies

This recipe for Fudgy Brownies is my favorite – one bowl and so easy! Topped with Orange Frosting made with mandarine oranges, these are The Best Orange Frosted Brownies you’ll ever eat!

Brownies-Orange-Frosting

Happy Easter everyone! I hope you’re having a relaxing Sunday with your family.

We got back last night from a couple of days in San Diego, visiting family. Another word for this trip: the Eating Extravaganza of 2013.

Let me give you a rundown:

We were traveling, so eating a danish at the airport was perfectly acceptable.

So was the bagel sandwich I scarfed at Einstein’s. {Why oh why is there no Einstein’s in Rocklin, CA?}

Then there were hamburgers and chips for dinner.

Friday – now that took the cake. We went out to breakfast with Mel’s dad.

We went to Il Fornaio for lunch.

And I was still hungry for a sandwich at dinner. And frozen yogurt.

We celebrated early Easter Saturday morning with cinnamon rolls and eggs. Which I washed down with two pork carnitas tacos at Old Town.

All interspersed with handfuls of Cadbury Mini Eggs.

Oh, and we went for brunch this morning.

My new name: Fatty McBuffet Pants.

I wore leggings for a reason. None of my pants fit.

So I’m going on a fast for the next week.

As long as the fast includes brownies, I’m good.

Brownies-Orange-Frosting

I am totally eating crow with these brownies, BTW. I have scoffed at the orange-and-chocolate combo for years. I remember seeing one of those orange chocolate shaped thingies at Christmas when I was like, 12 and thinking EW OMG NO WAY.

People. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

Orange and chocolate are totally BFFs. Like, they need to get broken heart-shaped necklaces and wear matching color hair ties on their wrists because OMG they can’t live without each other and they have to proclaim their love to everyone.

Orange + Chocolate = Heaven.

Brownies-Orange-Frosting

This brownie recipe isn’t new. It’s my favorite Fudgy Brownie recipe, the one I paired recently with Coconut Frosting. The same brownies I stuffed truffles inside.

These brownies are rich and fabulous and sinful and the best ever. I use two kinds of melted chocolate and cocoa powder in these brownies for a richness you wouldn’t believe. They are pretty much one bowl and are better than a box. Yes, I said it. They are better than a box brownie.

They’re good even by themselves with a fork, but they are even better with Orange Frosting.

You can use any kind of orange for this frosting, but I used Cuties (mandarin oranges). I had a bag and they were going to go to waste since Jordan decided she won’t eat them. The juice is so fragrant my mouth waters every time I juice them. I don’t like eating oranges (I have texture issues and pulp is a #1 offender) but I like peeling Cuties just so my fingers will smell like them.

The frosting is a basic one: butter and powdered sugar and flavoring. I added orange juice and zest to flavor the frosting. And, my secret for the best frosting ever? Heavy cream. Not milk. Certainly not non-fat milk. The real deal: heavy whipping cream. Just a tablespoon or two makes the frosting rich, creamy, and oh-so-good.

Brownies-Orange-Frosting

Meh. I’ll start the fast on tomorrow. What’s one more day? ;)

The Best Orange Frosted Brownies

• For the frosting:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Place the two baking chocolates and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat on HIGH power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and cocoa and stir well. Add flour and stir carefully.
  3. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake about 25 minutes, until a toothpick 2 inches from the outside of the pan comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
  4. To make the frosting, beat butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer until smooth. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until crumbly. Beat in orange juice, then heavy cream (not together).
  5. Spread frosting over the top of the cooled brownies.

Other brownie love:

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting 1 words

Brownie Mud Hen Bars

Brownie Mud Hen Bars by Crazy for Crust | A gooey brownie topped with a crunchy sweet meringue!

Layered S’mores Brownies by Shugary Sweets
Microwave Brownie in a Cup by No. 2 Pencil
Better than Anything Caramel Stuffed Brownies

94 Responses to “The Best Orange Frosted Brownies”

2. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on March 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm (#)

Mmm, love the orange frosting on these. I bet they really give them a fresh taste! And I’m a supporter of a good pair of leggings, pants are overrated anyways… but I’d probably better join you on that fast next week ;)

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 31, 2013 at 5:05 pm (#)

Flavors + chocolate. It’s a hard call. I do scoff at it, too. Like I would never seek out a raspberry-filled truffle or those choc-covered gooey cherries around Valentines Day that you get in a box of chocolates..no! But there is a time and a place for fruit + chocolate. And this looks like the time and the place. The GOOEY and rich factor of the brownies. I just want those forever!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:51 am

Me neither – especially the cherries -yuck! BUT sometimes I get in the mood for something with my chocolate, and that’s when these happen. :)

4. Pamela's Heavenly Treats posted on March 31, 2013 at 6:41 pm (#)

I love orange and chocolate together, this treat looks so YUMMY!

5. Tanya posted on March 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm (#)

I can’t believe you made this! I made a cake brownie with orange frosting today! But I do have to say yours looks way better! Way better!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:50 am

Oh, I bet yours is great! Great minds, right??

6. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on March 31, 2013 at 7:21 pm (#)

Looks amazing Dorothy although I’ve never been a big orange and chocolate fan myself. BUT, since I totally trust you – I will have to give them a try :) Totally digging your eating rampage in San Diego – wish I was there! Can’t wait for Phoenix…

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:33 am

Me neither! Two weeks to fit into my pants… :)

7. Karissa K. @ Sweet As A Cookie posted on March 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm (#)

I’ve actually never been a fan of frosting on brownies but I do love oranges and chocolate together.
    I may just have to try out this recipe and see if these babies do the trick!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:33 am

I never was either. Now I can’t get enough! Thanks Karissa!

8. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on March 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm (#)

Glad to see you’ve come back to the light. Chocolate and orange are so heavenly. Every Christmas I secretly wish I will get a chocolate orange. I never do. These look delightful. I can’t wait to try them.

9. The Better Baker posted on March 31, 2013 at 8:47 pm (#)

I SO love and enjoy orange and chocolate together! The brownies look fabulous – I’m all for one bowl anything when mixing. Pinning this recipe! Have a great week and hope it won’t be long til you fit back into your pants. We all gotta live it up sometimes! =)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:32 am

Yes, although my sometimes is kind of like “always”. :) Thanks so much!

10. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on March 31, 2013 at 9:39 pm (#)

I am all for a fast for the next week. I definitely ate way more than I should have this weekend…the scale is going to scare me tomorrow I’m sure!!! Those fudge brownies look amazing! And with orange frosting…I am dying over here! Yum!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:31 am

And that is why I never weigh myself. Too scary! :) Thanks Jocelyn!

11. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on April 1, 2013 at 6:15 am (#)

I love chocolate and orange together. I’m still spring breaking at my parents house this week, but starting April 8 I need to fast. For a month. Or two.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:31 am

Yeah, totally. I’m trying the Green Smoothie Challenge starting today. Shouldn’t be too hard – unless I wash it down with brownies.

12. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on April 1, 2013 at 6:26 am (#)

Fatty McBuffet Pants- bahaaahahaaa I laughed out loud :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:30 am

Me too. Until I realized it’s true… ;)

13. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on April 1, 2013 at 6:49 am (#)

I used to eat those creepy orange chocolate candies like nobody’s business, but I’ve never had orange frosting on a brownie, sounds FANTASTIC!

14. Annie @ Annie's Noms posted on April 1, 2013 at 10:56 am (#)

Love that these have orange frosting! Chocolate and orange go so well together, but I’ve never thought to frost my brownies with it! These are going on my “to bake” list! :)

15. carrian posted on April 1, 2013 at 11:02 am (#)

Good call on the leggins. I’m sportin’ some today for the same reason. psh.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Yeah, I’m wearing sweats today. I didn’t feel like squeezing…. :) Thanks Carrian!

16. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on April 1, 2013 at 11:34 am (#)

Orange and chocolate … great combo … thanks for sharing the recipe.

17. Kristin posted on April 1, 2013 at 11:35 am (#)

This post made me hungry!

I actually liked those chocolate oranges as a kid, and was gonig to try some chocolate orange brownies, but never got around to it. This frosting recipe looks to-die-for.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 2:27 pm

It’s too good. Way. Too. Good. :)

18. Shiloh Barkley posted on April 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm (#)

Those look really good. I would have to agree with you on that combination!

19. Kathy posted on April 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm (#)

Love chocolate and orange together! It is one of my dad’s favorite combos. I am pinning this so that I can make this for him when he visitis next!

20. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on April 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm (#)

I used to love those orange chocolates! My mom would buy me one every year on the holidays but I never thought about making it into a brownie. That orange frosting with the heavy cream looks good enough to eat alone.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Shhh…it was! :) Thanks Nicole!

21. Heather @ French Press posted on April 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm (#)

sounds a LOT like my entire week – BUT you cannot utter the words fast, and then share these…that’s just mean

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I’m the meanest to myself. Because I want to stop with the sugar…but I really, really want to eat more… :)

22. Megan @ megbakes posted on April 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm (#)

Never thought of having orange frosting on brownies, but this sounds amazing. I know what you mean about eating too much over Easter. I didn’t even go out of town, but I baked a lot of treats and felt like I should truly celebrate, but now I’m regretting it just a bit.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Megan! I still want to celebrate, lol. It’s so hard to stop the chocolate!

23. Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations posted on April 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm (#)

I love citrus desserts but have to say I have reservations when they are combined with chocolate. Your amazing pictures have me salivating though and I am totally reconsidering.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:08 pm

It’s a great sweet/tart combo! I’m slowly warming to them. :)

24. Jen B posted on April 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm (#)

Wow I love your eating extravaganza!! That sounds like so much fun! Tomorrow is always the better day to start a fast – lol! I have to say I have always loved orange and chocolate and I would for sure love these brownies too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

25. Tina @ Tina's Chic posted on April 1, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

Thank you…I needed a good laugh on this Monday! I must must must try your fudge brownies asap. Although I fear I may be next in line for some stretch pants. ;) Have you ever tried your fudge brownie recipe in a smaller pan? I was just curious if you preferred the 9 x 13.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2013 at 7:04 pm

You can totally do them in a 9×9 – but they’ll be thicker. Thicker is sometimes better. :) Check the bake times too – it’ll be longer. I just naturally gravitate towards the bigger pan. :) Thanks for your comment!

26. Cathy@LemonTreeDwelling posted on April 1, 2013 at 7:10 pm (#)

Ohhhhh yummm Dorothy!! I love orange and chocolate together….this frosting looks delectable and I would probably ask for double :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:43 am

I know I ate double, so totally a possibility. :) Thanks Cathy!

27. Meg @ sweet Twist posted on April 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm (#)

That sounds like a wonderful trip of eating.I love those and hate those all at the same time.

I am a chocolate orange fan but oddly not an orange fan on its own, except for the little ones.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:42 am

I know, right? Like it’s so fun…until you get home. :) Thanks Meg!

28. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on April 1, 2013 at 8:38 pm (#)

You know, I’ve never been a huge fan of the chocolate/orange combo, but seeing these pictures has totally changed my mind. These look so good, Dorothy! Seriously. SO. GOOD.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:41 am

It’s way better than I ever thought…I may have to try one of those chocolate oranges next Christmas…

29. Cindy Harris posted on April 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm (#)

Orange and chocolate are a perfect combo. These look delish! Glad you had a yummy trip.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:36 am

It was that, for sure. Thanks Cindy!

30. Back for Seconds posted on April 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm (#)

Mmmmmm, I think I need an all brownie diet ;) I love how fudgy these look, and cutie frosting?? That HAS to be good! I need to try these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:35 am

Yes, that would be a good one. :) Thanks Stephanie!

31. PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad posted on April 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm (#)

My mind has yet to be blown by an orange/chocolate combination, but this looks like a good way to do it! Especially with oranges sitting in my fridge right now…

And I need to find me a go-to brownie recipe. I feel so left out for not having one.

Btw, you had me laughing on this post. Especially the part where you washed down cinnamon rolls and eggs with 2 pork carnitas tacos. Wear those leggings proudly, you’ve earned them with my admiration and respect!

32. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on April 2, 2013 at 6:35 am (#)

Sounds delicious! I am with you on the love of those Christmas oranges!

33. Abby posted on April 2, 2013 at 8:58 am (#)

I, too, have a bag of iffy cuties sitting on the kitchen counter because my dear two year old suddenly decided he doesn’t like them. And I, too, should be eating crow over that whole chocolate/orange combo, thanks to a very successful batch of chocolate orange muffins a while back. The good news is that I think I would eat anything, crow included, if you smothered it in that beautiful frosting. I’ll be making these soon. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 4:19 pm

LOL! I would too. :) Thanks so much Abby!

34. Arlene @FlourOnMyFace posted on April 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm (#)

These look so good! I love a frosted brownie!

35. Mackenzie posted on April 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm (#)

Want. these. now! I seriously love chocolate and orange! Great recipe Dorothy!
    Mackenzie :)

36. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on April 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm (#)

I was feeling like I need a laugh or at least a smile. So I came over here to do some catch up reading. You never disappoint :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 5:54 pm

You’re sweet. I hope you’re still smiling. :)

37. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen posted on April 6, 2013 at 10:20 am (#)

Your brownies look and sound amazing, I love the idea of the orange frosting!

38. foodie@foodieportal.com posted on April 6, 2013 at 5:34 pm (#)

I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

39. Pingback: Sugar & Slice Sunday Link Party | yinmomyangmom

40. Terra posted on April 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm (#)

Would you believe I am not a huge chocolate lover, crazy right? So adding a fruity frosting to your brownie is beyond AWESOME to me:-). They look soooooooo delicious! Hugs, Terra

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 11th, 2013 at 6:24 am

That’s great Terra! (PS, that frosting would be awesome on a spoon… ) :)

41. Lori Who Needs A Cape? posted on April 12, 2013 at 9:15 am (#)

Interesting combo, now I’m curious! Saw them on Back For Seconds Social LInk Party.

Lori
    Whoneedsacape.com
    Not Your Average Super Moms!

42. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on April 12, 2013 at 9:57 am (#)

These sound great!! I love the combination!!!

43. Pingback: 75 Best Desserts to Bring to a BBQ - Something Swanky

44. Pingback: Mocha Brownies with a Crust - Crazy for Crust

45. Pingback: Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies - Crazy for Crust

46. kaity posted on July 10, 2013 at 6:09 am (#)

oh my gosh. must make these!

47. Pingback: Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies | Wine & Glue

48. Pingback: My 15 favorite recipes of 2013 - Crazy for Crust

49. Pingback: Orange Chocolate Poke Cake | wine & glue

50. Pingback: The P.T. Flavor » Christmas Cookie!

51. Pingback: Orange Pound Cake - Crazy for Crust

52. Pingback: 28 Sexy Brownies To Spend Valentine’s Day With | GossipViews.com

53. Pingback: Jeobox – 28 Sexy Brownies To Spend Valentine’s Day With

54. domcomm posted on February 11, 2014 at 8:05 pm (#)

I didn’t like the orange/chocolate candy, either, but I like that flavor combination. I used to make a fudgy chocolate cake with orange frosting. I used powdered sugar, butter, heavy cream, and (of all things) TANG! It worked great, and I didn’t have to have oranges on hand. Delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2014 at 9:54 am

What a great substitution!! I’ll have to remember that!

55. Pingback: Foodie Friday {13} | GlamGirlGlow