Mar 06

5 Tips for Blogging Business cards

I know it’s not sugar, but humor me, mmkay? I just did a ton of research and made my first business cards so I thought I’d share the knowledge! If you need business cards, you’ll want to read my 5 Tips for Blogging Business Cards!

5-tips-for-creating-business-cards

Blog conference season is upon us! There are so many conferences in the coming months, it’s almost overwhelming. I’ll be at Bloggy Boot Camp in Phoenix in April and BlogHer Food in Austin in June, which is probably plenty, but every day I hear about another cool conference I just want to go too!

I’ve only been to one conference, the Foodbuzz Festival, back in 2011. One of the things I learned about at that conference was networking and how important it is to be able to introduce yourself to lots of new bloggers (and maybe even brands). A week before that conference I panicked because I had no business cards and I printed my own. That worked great, but I forgot half of what I should have put on them (um, social media anyone?)

Now it’s 2013 and I’m going to two conferences. I needed business cards and I didn’t want to print them myself. I did some research on cards and where to get them and what to put on them. I’m so happy with the way mine turned out, that I thought I’d share a few tips with you today, in case you’re in the place where you need business cards too!

business-card1

1. Where to get them?

I ordered my cards from GotPrint.com (which, weirdly, has the web address gotprint.net). I came across a recommendation from them from Julie at Table for Two. They’re the only place I’ve ever ordered cards from, so I can’t compare too much. My experience with them was great. And they were super affordable: it was less than $15 for 250 14lb weight glossy business card, double-sided with color printing on one side and black and white on the other. ($9 for one sided.) The cards are heavy, smooth, and beautiful. The colors were what I was expecting too.

I suggest you get a lot of cards. I’m planning to hand them out like cash at the conferences I’m going too! Plus, they kind of prove I have a job. Good for those moms at the park. {Kidding!}

Other companies I’ve heard about are Moo and Vistaprint. Moo looked great but was significantly more expensive. Vistaprint is a very affordable option but I don’t think the cheap ones come in glossy (that I’ve seen anyway).

Where did you get your business cards? Someplace else? Let me know in the comments!

HEADER small

2. Make them pretty – or at least make them YOU.

Most companies have lots of free templates you can edit for your business cards. However, I suggest that you design your own card. You want it to look like YOU, like your brand. All you need is a .png file of your header, or your graphics from your header. You can also create your logo in a photo program, like PicMonkey, and save it as a .png file to upload when creating your card. People know your blog and your logo more than they know your name or face. If you hand them your card you want them to say “Oh yeah! I know you!”

be social

3. What should you put on them?

Obviously, you need to have your name, blog URL, and email address on your cards. I also highly suggest putting some of your social media accounts on them too. I chose to do Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, since those are the easiest for people to use on their phones or tablets.

Facebook tip #1: did you know that, to save space, you can put www.fb.com instead of writing out facebook.com? It totally works! For example, I put www.fb.com/CrazyforCrust on my business cards, instead of www.facebook.com/CrazyforCrust. It really saves space!

Facebook tip #2: if you can, try to get rid of all those numbers after your blog name in your Facebook page URL. Here’s how:

• Go to your Facebook Page. Click Edit Page (at the top) and select Update Info.
  • The second section down is for Username. Select a username – I chose CrazyforCrust because it matched. Luckily it was available! Your old page address (with all the numbers) will now be redirected to the one using your username – and no numbers!

Wondering if you should put your phone number on your business cards? Read on!

4. Google Voice

I really struggled with putting my cell phone number on my business cards. I’m fine with giving out the number to PR people, but on my business card? Who knows where those will end up!

I got a tip from Joanne about Google Voice. I’d never heard of it before, but I’m not surprised Google has it. They have everything, right? Here’s how it works: you sign up with Google Voice, using your Google account. You tell them where you are and they give you a free phone number in your area code. You can have that number forwarded to whatever phone(s) you want. I have mine set to call my cell. It will also transcribe text messages for you and email them, and you can set up voicemail. It really works, I tried it!  (Supposedly it’s free to use unless you’re calling international, and free is good!)

QR code

5. QR Code

A QR code is one of those funny looking not-a-barcode things you see all over the place now. You scan them with your phone and they take you to a website or an email or so many other things. Did you know you can generate a free QR code to put on your business cards? I had never thought about it, but thought it was a cool idea. I got my free QR code at QR Code Generator. Just follow the prompts and download your free code.

Now, I don’t suggest putting the QR code on the front of your business card. You totally can, but I think that would take up valuable real estate, where you want your social media and stuff. I put mine on the back of my card and linked it to my blog. That way, when I give out my card, all they have to do is scan it with their phone and they go to my site. Pretty cool!

I hope this post helps those of you who are thinking of getting some business cards for your blog! Once you have them, you’re going to be dying to hand them out! Even if you don’t think you need them, you totally do.

What do you have on your business cards? Any other tips I missed? Feel free to leave advice in the comments!

This post may be linked to: Chic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

121 Responses to “5 Tips for Blogging Business cards”

1. Rafael Reyes posted on December 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm (#)

All depends the type of business cards you are trying to get, there are a lot of different card stock and finishes for business cards available. The best tip we give to our customer is to put just the basic information on the cards, because on a business card there is not a lot of space to play and also have to be readable. Also depending your target of audience and the type of business you can also choose the best type of business card for you.

2. Jessica "Su Good Sweets" posted on January 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm (#)

Thank you, I just requested a sample pack from Got Print. Wouldn’t have thought of including social media links!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 24th, 2014 at 6:26 am

You’re welcome! I love they’re card stock, it’s glossy and thick. :)

3. Maddie posted on January 29, 2014 at 2:17 pm (#)

Thanks for these tips! With content, specifically blogging being a big deal for marketing, bloggers needs cards that show what their blogs are all about. Blogs are about personality and their business cards need to represent that.

4. Pingback: Mindful Monday | Craving some Creativity

5. Rachel posted on February 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm (#)

I just wanted to say thank you for all your advice on the business cards. Mine came out just as I had hoped. I posted a trackback on my own website to share the wonderful post you wrote.

6. Pattie posted on February 11, 2014 at 4:52 am (#)

I just googled business cards for bloggers and you are on the front page! Your advice sounds spot on, and I love the ideas for Google Voice and the QR code. Thank you for sharing what you learned when you were learning about this. I am going to pin your page to my Blogging board!

7. BUSINESS CARDS posted on February 20, 2014 at 8:36 am (#)

Thanks for give the great idea. It is really awsome. It’s very helpfull for me.

8. Quaintrelle Georgiana posted on February 21, 2014 at 1:12 am (#)

Thank you for the tips,especiallythe QR generator! I never thought of puting it o my business card, although I know my www address is a little unusual ad QR solves the problem! Thanks! <3

9. Renee posted on March 11, 2014 at 9:09 pm (#)

Thanks for the post! Getting my own QR code was super easy. I was even able to match it to the same color as my website. Many thanks!

10. Stacey posted on April 19, 2014 at 9:18 pm (#)

I am totally excited about this post. I’ve been thinking about business cards but had no idea what to put on them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 21st, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I’m glad to have helped Stacey!

11. Rohit Jobanputra (@TravelPunter) posted on April 24, 2014 at 3:39 pm (#)

I stumbled upon your post through pinterest as I was looking for designs, but the tips you mentioned will be notably great advantage, Thanks for Sharing

12. Leandro Campos posted on August 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm (#)

Awesome share, thanks!

13. Jean posted on October 25, 2014 at 7:05 am (#)

I like the idea of putting a QR code on business cards because those people who has smart phone can scan your card information right away and got your contact # save, that way they dont have to look for your card incase they misplace it.

14. Pingback: Unit 4 Original blogs and rewrites | Lifelong Learner

15. Kim posted on December 3, 2014 at 12:16 am (#)

This is awesome, thank you! I was just thinking about making some for my website too :) Though I think that I will design them and then print them out on cardstock and trim them down. We’ll see though! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 3rd, 2014 at 6:45 am

I did that too, before I got too lazy. :)

16. Zully Hernandez posted on December 14, 2014 at 8:05 am (#)

Really enjoyed these tips – especially the Google phone number. I just finished setting up my new “business” number for free because of you. Thanks so much for sharing! (this will definitely make me feel better about putting a number on business cards)

17. Leila Ushman posted on January 8, 2015 at 7:40 pm (#)

I’ve never tried business cards printing brisbane. But it’s worth a try after reading your guide. Thank you.

18. sandeep singh posted on January 22, 2015 at 8:49 am (#)

Hi Dorothy
    Please tell me what should i write for my designation for my blog?
    Should i write “Publisher” or “blogger” “writer”

reply please.

Sandeep

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I have publisher on mine!

19. Dough Lunder posted on April 3, 2015 at 6:22 am (#)

Very helpful tips. Got some ideas on what to do for my next business cards brisbane project. Thanks for sharing!

20. Sandhya posted on April 23, 2015 at 10:24 am (#)

I am glad I saw your post just as I am thinking of printing business cards. I learned so much from your post. Thank you for sharing the tips!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 23rd, 2015 at 11:19 am

Thank you! I’m glad they helped!

21. Felesha posted on August 18, 2015 at 6:38 pm (#)

I just printed my google voice number on my card and now it says that it can’t complete your call. Have you run into this issue? I can’t reach anyone.

22. Emilio Houston posted on August 24, 2015 at 4:12 pm (#)

Thank you for the tip about Google Voice. Giving out your phone number to people can seem like a risky thing sometimes.