Feb 26

Green Eggs {and ham} Donuts

March 2nd is Dr. Seuss’ birthday! Celebrate by making some Green Eggs {and ham} Donuts!

green-eggs-donuts-1-words

Get it? Green Eggs? Right? Donuts that look like green eggs? Yes?

Saturday is Dr. Seuss’ birthday. A day I never knew existed before I was a blogger. Not even when I had a young child in preschool. No – it took food blogging for me to realize there is an actual day we celebrate Dr. Seuss.

I love all of Dr. Seuss’ books. I love reading them to Jordan. Now that she’s older she always volunteers to read them to me. Really, I’d rather clean toilets and eat beets than listen to her read an entire Dr. Seuss book. {We’re still at the sloooooooooooow reading stage. It’s like driving with someone who goes 5 miles an hour below the speed limit in the fast lane on the freeway. Seriously.} But, I’m her mom and I’m *supposed* to love all that stuff, so I do let her read them to me. And I daydream about mythical creatures who sparkle while she reads.

green-eggs-donuts-2-words

I think Green Eggs and Ham is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Probably because breakfast, lunch, and dinnertime at my house are like replaying the entire book. Every meal, every day.

“I do not like spinach, mom. I don’t like it at all.”

“I do not like meat. I won’t cross the street to eat meat.”

“I do not like broccoli to eat. I will not eat it in my seat.”

“I do not like beets, no I don’t. I will not try them, no I won’t.”

{Oh wait, that last one is me….}

green-eggs-donuts-3-words

I brainstormed Dr. Seuss for a long time before these babies popped into my head. And when I thought of them I knew they would be the perfect birthday breakfast for his day!

I am really crushing on baked donuts right now. They are so easy to make, and a batch only makes six. Not that it’s okay to eat six donuts, but well. At least I won’t eat eight!

I like to think these donuts are a little healthier than a “normal” version. I used coconut oil for the fat, and coconut milk and non-fat Greek yogurt for the binders. They turned out wonderfully puffy and tender! I’ve made notes in the recipe for regular substitutions you can make to suit what you have in your refrigerator. I didn’t put too much sugar in the donuts themselves, because of what I was frosting them with, so the plain donuts almost taste like pancakes. They are the perfect sweetness for breakfast!

I frosted these with canned icing. I had some leftover from some cake balls I made, and I tend to shove that sucker in the back of my fridge and forget about it, so I wanted to use it up. Did you know you can melt canned icing to use for dipping? And it hardens up? It’s amazing! I used a total of about 1 cup of the canned frosting, melting half for dipping and dying the other half green for the egg yolks in the center. The super-sweet frosting turns the donuts into a sweet dessert or a treat for breakfast!

And, much to my delight, they really did look like fried eggs! Which, by the way, is perfect. Donuts that look like fried eggs, I mean.

green-eggs-donuts-4-words

Because I’m Jordan’s not touching a real fried egg…

“I do not like them, Sam I Am…”

Will you celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday?

Green Eggs {and ham} Donuts

Green Eggs {and ham} Donuts

• 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, liquid (or vegetable oil)
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk (or skim/fat-free milk or almond milk)
  • 2 tablespoons fat-free plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (or fat-free plain/vanilla yogurt)
  • 1 cup canned white frosting

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray. I used a regular sized donut pan, but you could also use a mini pan.
  2. Whisk baking powder, flour, salt, and both sugars in a large bowl. Stir in vanilla, egg, coconut oil, yogurt, and milk. Stir until just combined.
  3. Place batter in a large ziploc bag. Snip off one corner and pipe into your donut pan. The batter will fill all six cavities, with a little left over.
  4. Bake about 8 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in a donut comes out clean. They won’t brown much! Cool for five minutes in the pan and then gently remove. Cool at least 10 more minutes before glazing.
  5. Place 1/2 cup canned frosting (or about 1/4 of a can) in a small bowl. Heat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave, watching to make sure it doesn’t get too hot. Stir to make sure it’s all liquid. Dip the tops of the donuts one at a time in the melted frosting. Place frosting side up on a wire rack set over a cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes.
  6. Place an additional 1/2 cup frosting in another bowl. Tint with green food coloring. I suggest using gel coloring rather than regular - it will make your colors brighter. I used regular food coloring and my green is lighter than it should be. Scoop 1 tablespoon of green frosting into the center of each donut to simulate the yolk. Serve with bacon for the “ham”!

Other fun goodies you might enjoy:

Cat in the Hat Smoothie with Green Eggs and Ham Snack Mix

Dr. Seuss Snacks

Funfetti Donuts with Chocolate Glaze

funfetti-donuts-chocolate-glaze

Thing 1 and Thing 2 Push Pops by The Domestic Rebel
Dr. Seuss Green Eggs & Ham Cookies by Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons
Dr. Seuss Ice Cream Party by Mom on Timeout
Black & White Donuts by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

70 Responses to “Green Eggs {and ham} Donuts”

1. michelle posted on February 26, 2013 at 3:57 pm (#)

So, so, so incredibly cute! I am beyond words!

2. Back For Seconds posted on February 26, 2013 at 4:10 pm (#)

Pinned! These are too cute! We love Dr Seuss in our house – all of us! Bella wants to make these tomorrow.
    You don’t like real fried eggs?? You really are crazy ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I hope she likes them. Jordan can’t wait for Saturday. I froze them for then. :)

3. Sue @ The Witch's Kitchen posted on February 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm (#)

When the boys were young I read them “Green Eggs & Ham” & “The Cat in the Hat” so many times that I have them memorized. Have. Present tense. Still. I still recite them from time to time when I come across the books in the store. Now the boys just roll their eyes at me and walk away.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’m like that with Goodnight Moon! I read it SO. Many. Times! :)

4. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on February 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm (#)

Adorable!!! Love the giant blob of green frosting on the donut. Seriously. What kid wouldn’t be loving these!!!

5. Tonii posted on February 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm (#)

This are so dang cute!! We are doing all things Seuss at our house this week with my kids and I cannot wait to add these adorable donuts to our menu!! Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipes and ideas…I just love them!!

Tonii
    Blue Skies Ahead

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:08 am

Yay! Thanks Tonii! Have fun. :)

6. serena@serenabakessimplyfromscratch posted on February 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm (#)

Oh my cuteness! Adorable!

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm (#)

I love the science in this post…the canned frosting turning hardened if melted, the reason you kept them less sweet overall and they taste like pancakes, the coconut oil & Greek yogurt. NICE!!

I had a recipe failure today on something totally different but it was mint and I was sooooo ticked. I made something that I knew would work and almost, almost originally just made donuts but then didnt and needless to say, should have done like you did!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:11 am

I was crossing my fingers the whole time! I made a mint-fail yesterday too. But then I managed to get it to work, the second time. I hate fails! Such a waste!

8. Mom posted on February 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm (#)

Great pics! I was wondering how the icing got so smooth…never knew you could melt it. Great idea.
    Love you,
    Mom

9. Renea posted on February 26, 2013 at 7:13 pm (#)

This is a wonderful idea! I remember when I was in second grade, we made green eggs and ham. I’m pretty sure donuts would have been better.

I’d like to invite you to link up to my weekly party. http://cupcake-n-bake.blogspot.com/2013/02/manic-monday-6.html

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:10 am

Jordan did that a few years back. She wouldn’t even eat them at all!

10. Heather @French Press posted on February 26, 2013 at 8:02 pm (#)

we LOVE Dr Seuss day – but I’m the mean mom that actually makes my kids eat green eggs:) Stella would SO much rather eat these for sure, and seriously she and Jordan must be twins

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:17 am

LOL! I may have to make some this year. I doubt she’d eat them though! :)

11. Cindy Harris posted on February 26, 2013 at 10:15 pm (#)

My grand kids would love these! I agree Dr Seuss books can get kind of long–tear out half of the pages in the middle. But do it when they are young or they will get on to you!! Do I really need a donut pan? I just may have to get one. Fun post!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:15 am

I so used to skip over so many pages. My kid is wise to it now! And YES you need a donut pan. You’ll be surprised how much it was missing from your life!

12. tanya posted on February 27, 2013 at 5:03 am (#)

I wasn’t going to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s bday, but I really want to make these donuts!! I love that glorious green filling! Mmmm, I can almost taste it. Personally, I can’t read Dr. Seuss anymore (I only like a few books), but I love a birthday!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:14 am

I can’t wait until Jordan moves on to, you know, Twilight or something. ;) Something with a plot! :) Thanks Tanya!

13. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 27, 2013 at 5:51 am (#)

Sooo adorable! I was a little concerned by the post title you were going to try to get me to put ham in donuts (*insert cute rhyming thing about not eating that here*), but these are super cute and look super tasty!

and WHAT? you dont like beets? I mostly only like them pickled on a Greek salad, but still. So important. What else is going to dye parts of the salad that creepy color?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:12 am

I’ve um, never tasted them. They’re scary! ;) And I was going to put the bacon in the donuts…and forgot!

• Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies replied on February 27th, 2013 at 7:45 am

Never tasted?! I’m not going to sell them very well, but they taste kind of like dirt in the most pleasant and slightly sweet way possible.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:16 pm

LOL, good to know. :)

14. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on February 27, 2013 at 6:23 am (#)

I remember celebrating Dr, Suess day in kindergarten and the teacher made us eat actual green eggs and ham. I would have much rather have had these donuts!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Yeah, Jordan wouldn’t touch those. These? Yes. :)

15. Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl posted on February 27, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

How stinkin’ cute are these?? I love them!!

16. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection posted on February 27, 2013 at 7:51 am (#)

This is the cutest idea. The idea of green eggs and ham always weirded me out, but I would eat these green eggs and ham donuts any day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Me too, on both counts. Thanks Elaine!

17. Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} posted on February 27, 2013 at 8:02 am (#)

I happen to LOVE Dr. Seuss!! I also happen to REALLY LOVE this idea!! GENIUS!!

19. carrian posted on February 27, 2013 at 9:30 am (#)

These are darling!! What a smart idea! And while I’m here…how’d you do the “my pins” thingy on your sidebar?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Carrian! I converted my Pinterest account to a business one. When you go to your profile (hoover over the name in the top corner) select “Get started” in the drop down. They have options for the boards, you can input size or just pick one board or your feed. :)

20. trish posted on February 27, 2013 at 11:59 am (#)

How clever!!! Love them – – but then again I never met a donut I didn’t fall in love with!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Ha, me neither! Thanks Trish!

21. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm (#)

I love these dorothy! I can’t wait until mine start elementary school. I know they make a big deal of Dr. Seuss day around here. I bet the kids would love to celebrate with donuts like these.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:10 pm

It’s a huge thing, I guess! Who knew?? :)

22. Kristin posted on February 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm (#)

Green scrambled eggs are the norm on Dr. Seuss’ birthday it seems. Your doughnuts look SO much tastier than green eggs!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Yes, yes I bet they are!! :)

23. Kristin posted on February 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm (#)

These are so cute! I <3 Dr. Seuss!!

24. Rachel @{I Love} My Disorganized Life posted on February 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm (#)

Forget the kids. I want these for ME! They can have some when they do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking-care-of-way-too-many-dogs, you get my drift. Seriously, they are awesome, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 27th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

LOL! I feel that way too, all the time!

25. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on February 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm (#)

Brainstorm! Get a company to sponsor a giveaway of a doughnut pan on your blog so I can win it! (Because, really, can I justify buying another kitchen item??) I reeeeeeaaaally want to start creating doughnut recipes. Thanks Dorothy! You’re the best :) PS Is it wrong that I sort of don’t want to teach Gavin to read so we can skip the stage of him reading to me SUUUUUUPER slowly? I have zero patience.

26. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm (#)

Those are seriously too cute!!! The green frosting in the center is calling my name!!! Can I just say how happy I am that my kids are all past the Dr. Suess age? It used to drive me bonkers listening to the silliness every.single.night!!! LOL!

27. Karly posted on February 28, 2013 at 6:36 am (#)

Yep. Cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

28. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on February 28, 2013 at 6:58 am (#)

Now this is a breakfast my kids would go for :) Pinned!

29. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on February 28, 2013 at 9:19 am (#)

How cute are these! I am so in love with them. I wish that they still did fun stuff for Dr. Suess in 2nd grade, because these would be so fun to do with my sons class!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 28th, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I feel the same way!! Thanks Erin!

30. Ala posted on February 28, 2013 at 5:37 pm (#)

Thank you for alerting me to this fantabulous date, Dorothy!! I don’t know how I ever managed to miss the great Dr. Seuss’s birthday–did I mention that I just finished an entire literary criticism article on Cat in the Hat? LOVE! I can’t wait to celebrate with you and make some of these goodies!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 28th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I hope you enjoy Ala! It’s a super fun day to celebrate!

31. Holly Lefevre posted on February 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm (#)

CUTE!

32. Justin posted on March 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm (#)

I may be grown with only dogs for children but to this day I LOVE Dr. Seuss! I wish I had known sooner that tomorrow is Dr. Seuss’ birthday and I hadn’t just baked 2 kinds of donuts today. I would definitely make these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 3rd, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Ha, sounds like me! Thanks Justin!

33. Kalamity Kelli posted on March 3, 2013 at 11:05 am (#)

Spending my afternoon visiting the parties where I linked up – right now I”m cruising through Wednesday Extravaganza and then I saw these. They are so stinkin’ adorable! We celebrated Dr. Suess’ birthday yesterday with our grandest – son and this year he’s too young to appreciate your artisty but next year? We are soooooooooo having these! Pinning now.

34. Sabrina posted on March 4, 2013 at 4:49 am (#)

This is a kindergarten teachers dream! I am in love! I swear, every time I come to your blog, I look at your pictures and your creations and feel like my pictures are so bland! I hope to one day get where you are with food photography. You are my bloggie idol ;)

Thanks for such a fun recipe! I wish I had seen this last week. I could have totally done these with my kinders!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2013 at 6:11 am

Thank you, that’s really sweet, but I feel the same way! I look at some blogs and I’m like, huh. I just made that same thing and well, my pics don’t look anything like that… :) Thanks so much Sabrina!

35. Pingback: 50 Back to School Ideas from Breakfast to Snack - Crazy for Crust