Feb 11

Amaretto Fudge

Do you love Chocolate Fudge for Valentine’s Day? (Or anytime?) Add some Amaretto Liquor to an easy fudge recipe and you have a sweet treat with a hint of almond!

amaretto fudge

Last night on Facebook I posted the question: red velvet or fudge? I have both posts in the queue ready to go…and wasn’t sure which one to do first. Fudge won, with 63% of the vote! But, don’t worry, all you red velvet voters…I’ve got you covered tomorrow night!

This Amaretto Fudge wasn’t my idea. Last month, during a giveaway, I asked what you would like to see from me this year. A reader named Leslie suggested Amaretto Fudge, and the second I saw those words it, I knew I had to make it.

You see, I love almonds and anything remotely almond flavored. So, even though I’d never had straight amaretto, I love it in stuff. The flavor is much like almond extract, only better. Well, what I would assume almond extract tasted like if I ever drank it. (I don’t suggest that!)

It just so happened that last week was my mother-in-law’s birthday, and she loves fudge. So…it was kismet! I had to make Amaretto Fudge!

amaretto fudge

This fudge is so simple to make. I love cooked fudge, but I love easy fudge more. Probably because I don’t need a recipe to make it. I also don’t need a gazillion ingredients or a candy thermometer. It’s sweetened condensed milk mixed with milk chocolate chips. After they melt together, you add in vanilla extract and two ounces of Amaretto liquor. The extra liquid makes this extra soft and fudgy. I added some toasted almonds on top, to add some crunch and for an extra almond kick. The taste isn’t overly consumed with the Amaretto; really it hits you as a finishing note, much like the real thing. It’s amazing!

{If you don’t drink alcohol, you can totally use almond extract in this. I would ditch the Amaretto and use a teaspoon of almond extract in it’s place. Or, if you do drink alcohol but don’t like almond, maybe sub in Kahlua. Or Bailey’s!}

I really, really liked how the extra liquid from the liquor made the fudge super smooth and creamy. Sometimes easy fudge is a little too hard for me, but with the extra liquid it’s amazing, and definitely something I’m going to think about next time I make fudge, boozy or not!

oxo

Now, when I make fudge, I feel like I need four sets of hands. Is anyone else with me on this? You have the perfectly melted consistency of chocolate and sweetened condensed milk, and then you have to keep stirring, remove from the heat, and then measure and add in your liquids before the fudge hardens (no small feat in a cold house in winter). But, I have found an answer to the “try not to spill vanilla all over my counter as I miss the tablespoon” woes.

These OXO Good Grips Mini Beakers are my favorite new kitchen tool. Have you seen these? They are so cute! Little beakers that have measurements on them from 1/4 teaspoon up to 2 tablespoons. There are also mL markings and ounces too, for easy measuring. These are perfect for when you need to measure liquid ahead of time, like in the case of time-sensitive fudge making. I measured out my amaretto and my vanilla before starting to heat my chocolate and then just poured them in when it was time. No spills on the counter, no amaretto all over my stovetop. Easy peasy!

amaretto fudge

Well, fudge voters, I hope I satisfied you with this chocolatey good Amaretto Fudge. Make this for your sweetie on Thursday; it’s the perfect adult’s only treat for Valentine’s Day!

Amaretto Fudge

Amaretto Fudge

• 3 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons Amaretto Liquor (see note)
  • 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds

1. Line a 9x9” or an 8x8” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Add chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk to a medium saucepan. Place over low heat (keep it low!!) and heat until melted, stirring occasionally (more as they melt together). Once the chocolate chips are completely melted, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and Amaretto. Spread quickly in prepared pan. Immediately sprinkle with almonds. Set at room temperature until cool, and then chill until hardened.

Notes

If you don't drink liquor, you can substitute 1 teaspoon almond extract for the Amaretto. Or, try a different flavor liquor for a different kind of fudge! To toast almonds, place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for just a few minutes, stirring occasionally. DO NOT leave the room or they will burn!

If you like fudge, check these out:

Cookies ‘n Birthday Cake Fudge (using Birthday Cake Oreos!)

Birthday Cake Oreo Fudge

Butterfinger Fudge

butterfinger fudge 2 words

White Chocolate Cinnamon Fudge by Something Swanky
Kahlua Peanut Butter Fudge by Half Baked Harvest
Fluffernutter Fudge by The Domestic Rebel

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

OXO sent me the Mini Beakers to try and review. All opinions are 100% my own.

Tip Junkie

73 Responses to “Amaretto Fudge”

1. Pat posted on February 11, 2013 at 5:43 pm (#)

Looks and sounds delish! My daughter will love this ~ an extra gift for Valentine’s Day. :)

I’m a new follower and so glad I found your blog.

Pat

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:26 am

Thanks Pat! And welcome to my crazy. :)

2. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on February 11, 2013 at 5:44 pm (#)

Oh my!! I love this Dorothy! It’s gorgeous. And it has Amaretto!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:25 am

I know, right? I love that stuff! Thanks Aimee!

3. Di{CookTheTV} posted on February 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy,
    Oh my gosh, totally brill…why didn’t I think to add amaretto to my fudge?? Smart girl!
    PS my sis’s name is Dorothy:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:24 am

Thanks so much! Cool to know about your sister, it’s definitely not a name I hear too often! :)

4. Kristin posted on February 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm (#)

Boozy fudge! I love it!

5. Heather @French Press posted on February 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm (#)

love the beakers:) and booze in my dessert – absolutely

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Totally. :) Booze is a must!

6. Susan posted on February 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm (#)

Now that’s a grown-up fudge! Yum:-D

7. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on February 11, 2013 at 8:12 pm (#)

Eeek! I love Amaretto! This fudge looks absolutely amazing!

8. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm (#)

I love Amaretto! I blogged about it for the first time last month but it was the first drink I ever ordered when I was in a bar (an amaretto sour – and boy I thought I was cool) :) This fudge sounds stellar!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:22 am

I remember that post and my mouth watering. Now I can make that drink since I have a whole bottle minus 1 ounce, ha!

9. Lyn @LovelyPantry posted on February 11, 2013 at 10:24 pm (#)

Havent seen anything like this. Wow! I didn’t even know this could be done!?? LOL! Wonderfully done!! Perfect for Valentine’s or girls night!!! I bet this would work well using Jamaican Appleton Rum!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:21 am

Yes I bet that would work! I am itching to try it with Bailey’s, and Godiva! :)

10. Janine | sugarkissed.net posted on February 12, 2013 at 4:23 am (#)

This has got to be the most amazing flavor idea for fudge that I’ve ever heard! Did I mention that I loooooove amaretto!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 6:26 am

I so do too, and now I’m glad I have a whole bottle! :)

11. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on February 12, 2013 at 5:21 am (#)

oh yummy! And those beakers as so cute, I am totally cheap and I use the measuring cups that come with my kids medicine, you know the ones LOL

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:16 am

Oh my gosh Sue I never even thought of those!! You’re a genius!!

12. Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations posted on February 12, 2013 at 5:22 am (#)

I am with you right there – loving all things almond flavored. This fudge sounds perfect to me!

13. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 12, 2013 at 7:19 am (#)

Grown up fudge!!! Oh yeah this sounds awesome!!! What a fantastic idea to pair the liquor with the fudge. I have those little beakers too and I love them. So much easier to have all the liquids ready to go at once!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Jocelyn! I neeeeeeeed to try it with Bailey’s. And Kahlua…

14. Alyssa posted on February 12, 2013 at 7:36 am (#)

This fudge looks so good, I bet the amaretto tastes really good with the chocolate!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 4:54 pm

It totally does! Made for each other. :)

15. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on February 12, 2013 at 7:59 am (#)

That fudge looks so rich! I love chocolate and almonds together, so yummy!

16. Karly posted on February 12, 2013 at 8:45 am (#)

Not even lying, you are the fudge queen.

Seriously. Drunk fudge. Let’s be BFFs?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

LOL! Drunk fudge rocks. BFFs for sure. I should pack some for BlogHer…

17. Liz posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:16 am (#)

Oh my! My husband will love these – pinning and making soon :) Thanks Dorothy!

18. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 12, 2013 at 10:02 am (#)

Amaretto is soooo amazing. This fudge sounds great and those beakers are super cute! I’m a science(!) type person by trade, so it extra makes me happy :)

19. Ellen @ Bake It With Booze posted on February 12, 2013 at 10:30 am (#)

Nice to see you rockin’ the boozy fudge, my friend! :) We fully support the use of booze in fudge (and all things sweet and yummy)…And, yes, it would make it more creamy. Love this fudge! Have a wonderful week!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks Ellen! I want to try it with so many other flavors! :)

20. tanya posted on February 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm (#)

You and I are kindred spirits when it comes to Amaretto! Love the stuff! Wonderful idea putting it in fudge! Good to know fudge isn’t just for Christmas!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Never Tanya!! :) Fudge is for always!

21. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on February 12, 2013 at 6:51 pm (#)

Did you just say Amaretto and Fudge in the same sentence? And Holy Moley you put them together in a candy?!!! I am over come with the need to jump in and eat these! I wanted to make a trio of chocolates for my co workers and BAM here it is!! : ) PINNED! and shared on facebook!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for the shares Chandra! I hope they all love it! :)

22. Sandra posted on February 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm (#)

Your fudge looks wonderful! Did you use semi-sweet,milk chocolate or bittersweet chips? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2013 at 6:31 am

I used milk chocolate chips, because that’s my preference. But you can use semi-sweet if you want! Probably even bittersweet, although I’ve never tried that. The sweetened condensed milk is pretty sweet, so the type of chocolate doesn’t always matter! :)

23. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm (#)

Oh man. Yuuum.

24. Leslie posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm (#)

Oh my goodness! I am totally the “Leslie” who asked for this recipe! We used to live in Kansas City where there was a fudge shop that sold this flavor. I have really missed it. Thank you and bless you.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2013 at 6:29 am

Yay! I was hoping you’d see it. :) I’m so glad you suggested it, because YUMMY! :)

25. Yvonne @ bitter baker posted on February 13, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

Oooo, this looks sooooo good!

27. Shiloh Barkley posted on February 13, 2013 at 10:42 am (#)

Yum! I want to buy some liquor too.

28. Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com posted on February 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm (#)

There you go again making me hungry, Dorothy! ;) This looks and sounds incredibly yummy!! :D

29. DeDe@DesignedDecor posted on February 14, 2013 at 6:51 pm (#)

Off to the liquor store to get some Amaretto, these look so,yummy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 6:25 am

Thanks DeDe! I love amaretto!

30. Pingback: 10 Fridays « A Tasty Life

31. April @ Angel's Homestead posted on February 16, 2013 at 3:06 am (#)

Love this! I’d like to invite you to link up to Saturday Spotlight @ Angels Homestead.

Hope to see you there :)

April

32. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on February 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm (#)

Love the Amaretto! Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing at Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker . I hope to see you again there tomorrow night!

33. Janine - sugarkissed.net posted on February 19, 2013 at 7:55 am (#)

OMG…. I love amaretto! What an awesome flavor addition to fudge. I am pinning this because it would be a sin for me not to try it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thanks Janine! For some reason your comments have been going to spam so I just got this. GRRR.

34. Kelly at Smart School House posted on February 19, 2013 at 8:24 am (#)

Hello Friend! Guess what? THIS lovely post will be featured at Smart School House for Whimsy Wednesday! The new party and your feature will go live later today. See you and you soon!

Kelly from Smart School House
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse
    Google+https://plus.google.com/u/0/111902135882668872474/posts

35. Back For Seconds posted on February 19, 2013 at 3:48 pm (#)

Boozy fudge! Heck yeah! It’s gorgeous and I bet it tastes awesome. Great idea, girl!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thank you! :) Boozy is good!

36. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on February 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm (#)

Those beakers are so freakin’ cute! So’s the fudge ;) I like the addition of the amaretto – can’t wait to try it! Pinned and featuring tonight! Thanks so much for sharing Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Thanks so much for the feature Trish!

37. Pingback: Your Creative Timeout Party {No.70} - Mom On Timeout

38. Pingback: Grand Marnier Madeline Cookies & Amaretto Fudge | Unremarkable

39. Patrizia posted on December 1, 2013 at 11:13 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy, I’m a new follower of your blog. I’m Italian ☺️
    I’d like to try this fudge for Christmas but here in Italy we don’t have milk chocolate chips, only bars. So I wonder… how much do 3 cups of chocolate chips weigh? (we also use grams rather than cups). I love your blog! I also follow you on fb, Twitter and Instagram. Have a nice day!

40. Pingback: Whimsy Wednesday, Feb. 19th - Smart School House

41. Pingback: Grand Marnier Madeline Cookies & Amaretto Fudge | Hungry Holly Runs

42. Pingback: Amaretto Cheesecake - Life Love and Sugar