Aug 28

Skinny Milk Chocolate Caramel Frozen Pies {2 points+ and Kernel Seasons}

If there is one thing my husband and I love to do, it’s go to movies. B.K. (before kid) we went every to see a movie every weekend. Sometimes two.

I still remember the last B.K. movie we saw, In Good Company. I seem to remember it was a cute movie. What I do remember is having to pee, like, three times during it, as I was a gazillion months pregnant at the time.

Since Jordan was born we’ve been to no more than 10 movies. In over seven years. By the time you pay for a sitter, who can afford a movie?

Back in our movie-going heyday, we lived in Chandler, Arizona, home of the mega-movie theaters. I have fond memories of those theaters, probably because being able to go to a movie without worrying that your phone is off for an hour and a half and someone might drown or get sick or need you was quite nice.

The other fond memory I have of those theaters was that they offered a popcorn seasoning bar. You could get your ginormous tub of popcorn and then add flavor. Like movie theater popcorn, only better.

Alas, movie theaters here  in Sacramento (at least the ones by me) don’t have this option.

Something I never thought to do was buy my own. I mean, I stuff my purse with everything else at the movies, why not bring my own seasoning?

So, when the folks at Kernel Season’s contacted me about trying their popcorn seasonings, I was so on board. Like, faster than you can say “popcorn seasoning!” I asked, of course, that they send me sweet flavors (although, their savory ones sound super awesome, heeellloooo parmesan and garlic!) because, well, this is a sweet blog. And boy, did they deliver! I got four fabulous seasonings to try: Milk Chocolate Caramel, Kettle Corn, Apple Cinnamon, and Chocolate Marshmallow.

Of course, I couldn’t just put them on popcorn, now could I?

{Although I did do that too. And it was gooooood.}

Instead, I made a sweet pie. A frozen sweet pie, flavored with the Milk Chocolate Caramel flavor.

{You could totally use any and all of the flavors. I just used that one. Afterwards I kinda kicked myself for not making a few flavors. Don’t make the same mistake as I did.}

Aaaandd…because I went to Old Navy last week to try on clearance clothes and somehow their sizing is all messed up and I’m not the size I used to be, I made these skinny. My husband does weight watchers online, so I input the recipe into his builder using the low/fat-free ingredients I’ve noted in the recipe, and it told me that these babies are only 2 points+. And they’re gooood. Which means I can eat two.

Right?

That’s another thing that is awesome about the Kernel Season’s flavorings. They are all really low-cal and you don’t need a lot to flavor your popcorn, cereal, coffee, oatmeal, or whatever your mind can imagine. So it’s a great low-cal way to add sweet flavor without adding pant sizes.

I have soooo many ideas on how to use these. Especially one with the Chocolate Marshmallow. And the Apple Cinnamon. Stay tuned!

I can pretend that the caramel sauce for garnish is skinny too, right?

Good, because, um, I *may* have licked my plate.

Skinny Milk Chocolate Caramel Frozen Pies

• 6 graham cracker sheets (reduced fat is fine)
  • 3 tablespoons butter spread, melted
  • 1 cup Cool Whip (I used fat-free)
  • 1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 teaspoons Milk Chocolate Caramel Kernel Seasons (or any flavor you like)

1. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Finely grind graham crackers in a food processor. Add to melted butter spread and stir until combined. Equally divide between each muffin liner. Press to compact (I use the bottom of a shot glass for this step).
  2. Stir Cool Whip, yogurt, vanilla, and Kernel Season's powder in a medium bowl. Equally divide it among the muffin cups. Freeze until solid, at least 3 hours.
  3. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Top with caramel or chocolate sauce if desired.

Notes

Using the fat-free/low-fat equivalents I’ve listed, this recipe works out to be 2 WW Points+ per pie. (Adding caramel sauce will add more points.)

Kernel Season’s provided me with four bottles of their flavorings to try and review. All opinions are my own. Kernel Season’s can be found at major grocery stores as well as Target and Walmart or online.

41 Responses to “Skinny Milk Chocolate Caramel Frozen Pies {2 points+ and Kernel Seasons}”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm (#)

caramel
    freezer recipe
    pie

That pretty much sums up why this is awesome!

2. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on August 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm (#)

YUM!! These are amazing!
    I have a 7 year old, and I think we have been to even less than 10 movies since he was born. CRAZY expensive with a sitter and the price of movies.

3. Lady Behind The Curtain posted on August 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm (#)

I guess what they say is true! Great minds do think alike! Nice recipe! We picked almost the exact flavors!

4. Kristin posted on August 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm (#)

It’s not just you and I don’t care what people say: American Eagle jeans are smaller than they used to be!
    They have this seasoning at the megaplexes here. And yes. We are that couple at the movies every weekend. At Scott’s insistence. I’m happy to just sit on the couch.

5. Back for Seconds posted on August 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm (#)

Movies? What are those? ;)
    These look sooo good, Dorothy! All of the flavors you picked would have made a great skinny pie. Yay for skinny treats!

6. Veronica posted on August 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm (#)

Umm, their cheesy jalapeño seasoning on popcorn is amazing! When we cash in our 401K to afford dates to the movies I douse my popcorn in it!! I had no idea they had sweet flavors… And in a pie? Psh you can’t lose!! So 2+ points times 6… Anyways! Delicious recipe :)

7. Jocelyn posted on August 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm (#)

Movies with 3 kids very rarely happens. Every once in a while we splurge and break the bank! And every time we get popcorn because what is a movie without it. (the candy gets stuffed in my purse though) I love the idea of a skinny pie…my jeans sure aren’t fitting very well lately! My hubby was all over this fun seasoning…I let him pick out 2 of the savory seasonings and I got 2 sweet ones. I can’t wait to see what else you come up with.

8. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 29, 2012 at 3:26 am (#)

We don’t do movies often, with 4 kids it gets pricey!
    This pie looks yummy, love that you used the seasoning in it!

9. Janine (sugarkissed.net) posted on August 29, 2012 at 4:09 am (#)

I never would have thought to use popcorn seasoning in sweets… you’re opening up a whole new world of possibilities here!

10. Carrie Burrill posted on August 29, 2012 at 6:46 am (#)

We don’t go to the movies with the kids… we do every once in awhile for a date night. Last one we saw was the Hunger games.
    I love that you used popcorn seasoning on this! Great idea!

11. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 29, 2012 at 7:01 am (#)

I hope you have more of these stashed in your freezer because I had the SAME problem at Forever 21 last week and I was about to scream at them about their wonky-sized mediums but then I just went home and baked cookies. I didn’t think F21 would understand this crisis and chocolate chip cookies would, you know? Anyway, these look divine and I’m sure Mel was in heaven! I’m totally jelly and want those seasonings for myself!

12. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on August 29, 2012 at 8:36 am (#)

wish we had those here, they sound so good.

13. Heather Kinnaird posted on August 29, 2012 at 10:20 am (#)

I’ve decided to NOT shop until they correct the sizing:) maybe this treat will help

14. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on August 30, 2012 at 5:32 am (#)

Yuuum! Love the fact that they’re skinny, too!

15. Gina posted on August 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm (#)

My jaw just dropped- I did not know that those seasonings came in those flavors! On my list now!

• crazyforcrust replied on August 30th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I know, I had no idea either. Soooo good. :) Thanks for visiting!

16. Jackie posted on August 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm (#)

Loving your blog Dorothy! It ROCKS!

• crazyforcrust replied on August 30th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Jackie! You’re a sweet friend. :) Thanks for always visiting!

17. bethany posted on September 1, 2012 at 5:23 am (#)

these look simply delicious and sinful!! yum!

18. Rita posted on September 1, 2012 at 11:29 am (#)

These look so good, I am going to have to give them a try!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 2nd, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks, I hope you enjoy them!

19. Ashley posted on September 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm (#)

Fun idea and super-tasty looking! Thanks!

20. Aubrey posted on September 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm (#)

These look yummy! I am going to make them this Sunday, that way I can enjoy all the football food and not worry, right. We live out in Cave Creek, AZ but my husband works down at Intel in Chandler. I bet you’re getting to enjoy fall in Sacramento while I am praying to see it by Thanksgiving. LOL. Thanks for sharing this!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 8th, 2012 at 7:28 am

I know right where that Intel is. We used to live close by! It doesn’t feel like fall yet, hopefully soon! That was one thing that reeeallly bummed me out in AZ. I missed the seasons! Enjoy!

21. Pingback: Pumpkin Streusel Muffins | Crazy for Crust

22. Pingback: 30 Super Skinny Desserts - Something Swanky

23. pożyczka pod zastaw domu posted on February 10, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not
    writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 6:47 am

Sorry about that! WP is funny that way sometimes. Thank you so much for your comment!

24. Pingback: 70 BEST Caramel & Chocolate Recipes

25. Emily t posted on June 9, 2013 at 7:25 am (#)

These look so simple and super delish! I need to be placing an order soon with kernel season’s. We’re big fans at my house and eat tons of popcorn. (The cajun mixed with white cheddar is the best!) I use the parm and garlic in a lot of my cooking too.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can’t wait to try it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 10th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I love their stuff! And that sounds like a great combo!

26. lisa posted on June 21, 2013 at 5:48 am (#)

This sounds really good and SO easy! Thanks for the good idea for a summer snack!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Lisa!

• lisa replied on July 8th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Just curious, did you use cupcake liners or anything? Or did they pop right out of the muffin tin?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 8th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Yes, I used cupcake liners – makes them really easy to come out! Then just peel off the liners!