Dec 14

Stuffed Snowballs

The Snowball just got stuffed! These Stuffed Snowballs are filled with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!

Reese's Stuffed Snowballs | crazyforcrust.com

Snowballs. Butterballs. Russian Teacakes. Mexican Wedding Cookies. I never know what to call these cookies. The have so many names it’s like they’re felons or something.

I grew up eating these cookies at Christmas, but that’s not why I made them. I realized I haven’t talked books in awhile and I really wanted to introduce you to a series I really, really loved. In order to that, I needed to bake something, of course.

The series (and the name of the first book) is called Perfect Chemistry, by Simon Elkeles. It’s a trilogy of young adult books (I can’t seem to get enough of those lately) about three brothers who fall in love. The brothers are Mexican and come from the rough side of town. Of course, the girls they fall for are the total opposite of them (rich white girls) and trouble ensues. But, you should never judge a book (or a person) by it’s cover, because the Fuentes brothers have a lot of layers to them.

And you shouldn’t judge these cookies that way either.

Because these cookies have a secret. They’re stuffed.

Reese's Stuffed Snowballs | crazyforcrust.com

With Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Oh, yes I did.

They are buttery, nutty, sugary cookies stuffed with a peanut butter cup and rolled in more sugar.

You’re welcome.

Cookie Dough and Peanut Butter Cups. *Swoon*

Squish some dough flat and place a peanut butter cup on top. Add more dough on top (c’mon, it’s the holidays, calories don’t count!) and roll them into a ball. Super easy!

Now you have a great cookie to eat and a great series to read. Don’t say I never did anything for you!

Seriously, these books are great. Cute, quick reads. Because who has time for War and Peace when you have stuffed cookies to make?

Stuffed Snowballs

Yield: 2 dozen

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 ¼ cups flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup finely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds)
  • 24 miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (or other small candy of your choice), unwrapped
  • Powdered sugar for rolling

1. Preaheat oven to 375°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Mix butter, ½ cup powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the nuts. If dough is too soft, chill it until you can work it easily with your hands.
  3. Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough and flatten with your hands. Place 1 miniature Reese’s on top. Take another tablespoon of dough, flatten it, and lay it on top the peanut butter cup. Press the sides together and roll to form a sealed ball of dough. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
  4. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until bottoms are just slightly brown. Remove from oven and cool for just a minute, until you can handle them. Fill a small bowl with additional powdered sugar and roll each cookie in the sugar until coated. Place on a rack to cool. (Once cookies are cooled, you may want to re-roll them in more powdered sugar.)

What good books are you reading?

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

17 Responses to “Stuffed Snowballs”

1. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on November 30, 2012 at 11:51 am (#)

You are speaking my language here Dorothy! Sharing on Facebook today and pinning of course ;)

2. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon posted on November 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm (#)

These look wonderful Dorothy! Will have to add to my list of things to bake! thanks for sharing!

• Ashley replied on December 24th, 2013 at 9:26 am

What type of flour and butter did you guys use for the stuffed snowballs?

3. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on December 2, 2012 at 8:13 pm (#)

You had me at Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup! That is the best kind of surprise to have inside!

4. Holly Lefevre posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm (#)

Pure deliciousness…I am making these guys!

5. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Bark and a Holiday Round-Up | Crazy for Crust

6. Pingback: Mom's Russian Tea Cakes - Crazy for Crust

7. Denise posted on December 11, 2013 at 11:51 am (#)

These look amazing, but do you have to add nuts? We don’t eat a lot and I don’t keep any handy in my pantry. Just wondering what you thought they would taste like without them? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 12th, 2013 at 6:49 am

I’ve always put nuts in them, but I asked around and lots of people don’t! Leave them out if you like!

• Denise replied on December 12th, 2013 at 9:13 am

Thanks so much!

8. Jackie posted on December 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm (#)

I’ve never had time for “War and Peace” but I think I’ll take the time for these cookies. :) Thanks!

9. Jo F. posted on December 20, 2013 at 4:42 am (#)

We called these Rum Butter Balls because my mom’s recipe called for rum extract, but she always substituted real rum. They made the house smell like Christmas when they were baking. This version of yours looks divine and I’m looking forward to trying them–thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 20th, 2013 at 6:56 am

Ooooh that sounds good!!

10. MaryAnn posted on December 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm (#)

Added this amazing recipe to my holiday baking this year. It was a huge hit! Easy & delish! 5 stars

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thanks MaryAnn! And Merry Christmas!

11. Ashley posted on December 24, 2013 at 9:28 am (#)

What type of butter and flour do you use in this recipe?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 24th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Ashley! I use salted butter and all-purpose flour (that’s my standard, unless otherwise noted). You can use unsalted butter, but you’ll want to add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to make up the difference. :) Enjoy!