This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Small Batch Brownies are the perfect easy brownie recipe when you want two servings! This skillet brownie is one of our favorite easy recipes – we LOVE it with ice cream. It will satisfy that brownie craving – without all the leftovers.
Table of Contents
Easy Small Batch Brownies Recipe
This small-batch brownie recipe has the best of both worlds; soft, fudgy texture and gooey, decadent chocolate married into one perfect brownie. If you’ve been burned by a dry, disappointing brownie, I’m here to restore your faith.
This brownie recipe is so darn good, you’ll want to eat a whole panful — but binge-induced tummy aches are so not romantic. Thankfully, this small-batch brownie is just big enough to serve a couple of lovebirds!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Perfect serving for two (or one!)
- Dream-like gooey texture
- No leftovers = no late-night binging!
Ingredients in Skillet Brownie for Two
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to measure it correctly
- Granulated sugar
- Cocoa powder – Use Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, or you can substitute Dutch process.
- Vegetable Oil – You can swap melted unsalted butter if you wish.
- Egg – Always use large eggs when baking.
- Chocolate Chips – These can be optional but we love additional chocolate flavor.
- Salt – For flavor and to help cut the richness of all the chocolate.
How to Make Small Batch Brownies
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a 6” cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt.
- Add wet ingredients: Combine the egg and vegetable oil into the dry mixture. Stir until the mixture is thick and moist. Add chocolate chips.
- Spread in the pan: Pour the brownie batter into the prepared cast iron skillet. Spread the batter evenly across the dish. If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake: Bake the brownie for 17-22 minutes according to your desired doneness. Use a toothpick to determine how far along your brownies have baked!
- Serve warmed or cooled: Dig right into the hot brownie with a couple of spoons or let the dish cool if you’d like to slice it — the choice is yours!
- The gooier, the better! Underbake this small-batch brownie for a few minutes to achieve maximum deliciousness. 17 minutes should do the trick!
- Pan Substitutions: If you don’t have a small cast iron skillet, round pan, or loaf pan handy, employ the help of a muffin pan! This recipe will make four muffin cups of ooey-gooey goodness. If you use this method, keep a close eye on the bake time and check on the brownies frequently.
- How to serve: Drop a heaping scoop (or two) of your choice of ice cream on top. Butter pecan, mint chocolate chip, mocha, and good ole’ vanilla bean are all great choices!
Yes! Alternatively, you can also use a 5-6 inch cake pan as well.
The difference between a cakey and fudgy brownie is your ratio of flour to fat. Brownies with more flour will turn out more cake-like, while brownies with more fat will result in a gooier texture. To achieve a fudgy brownie, you’ll want to add a higher ratio of butter or oil to your recipe.
Yes, melted butter works just as well as oil when making brownies.
Yes, you can use Dutch-processed cocoa powder when baking brownies. The chocolate flavor will be milder than natural cocoa powder, which has a deeper, more “dark chocolate”-like flavor.
Have you made this recipe?
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Small Batch Brownies
- 5 tablespoons (39g) all purpose flour
- 6 ½ tablespoons (81g) granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons (13g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup (57g) chocolate chips , plus more to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 6″ cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a 5-6″ round cake pan or similar volume mini loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium size bowl. Add egg and oil and stir until thick and moist. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread in prepared pan, sprinkle with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes depending on desired doneness. For gooier underdone brownies cook them about 17 minutes. For more done, bake 20-22 minutes. A toothpick will come out with just a few crumbs 1″ from the side for more done brownies.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream and two spoons or let cool and slice.
- If you don’t have a small 6-7 inch skillet, use a 6-inch round cake pan or a 8×4-inch loaf pan.
A small batch brownies recipe! This easy brownie is made in a small pan or skillet and is perfect for one or two.
Last Updated on January 10, 2023