This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Craving cookies but don’t want to make a big batch? These Small Batch Chocolate Cookies are for you! This recipe makes six perfect chocolate cookies with chocolate chips. It’s a double-dose of chocolate to cure your craving!
Table of Contents
Easy Half Batch Chocolate Cookies
Small batch double chocolate cookies are the best when you want fresh-baked cookies but don’t want to spend time making a huge batch. They’re so easy and ready in less than 30 minutes!
They’re rich and chocolatey with mini chocolate chips – perfect when you need a chocolate fix!
This small batch cookie recipe is so easy, and you get six chocolate cookies, making them great when you want cookies for 2 or a quick homemade treat for yourself!
This is a tried-and-true recipe – I’ve tested it so many times to get it just right! The cookies have the best soft and chewy texture.
You can swap the chocolate chips with other mix-ins and customize them however you like! Be sure to check the variations – there are a lot of ideas so that you can put your spin on them.
These small batch cookies are my go-to when I want chocolatey rich cookies, but I don’t want any extras hanging around to tempt me more! They really hit the spot when you’re craving something sweet.
Ingredients in Small Batch Cookies
- Butter: As many of my recipes do, these cookies start with melted unsalted butter
- Sugar: I love a combination of packed brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Egg: To half the egg, we just use one large egg yolk
- Vanilla Extract: For flavor
- Cocoa Powder: Be sure to use natural unsweetened from the baking aisle. Read more about cocoa here.
- Baking Soda: Helps them spread
- Salt: needed since we started with unsalted butter. Omit if using salted butter.
- All-purpose flour: Be sure to measure it correctly.
- Mini chocolate chips: I find that mini chips are great in small batch recipes – more chocolate in every bite.
How to Make Small Batch Chocolate Cookies
- Combine the melted butter with both types of sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the egg yolk, vanilla, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly stir in the cocoa powder.
- Mix in flour.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop two tablespoons of dough to make each cookie dough ball. Place them two inches on the prepared baking sheet. Chill them for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and then bake the cookies for 10 to 13 minutes or until they just lose their glossy sheen on top and are lightly golden around the edges. Cool them before serving.
Small Batch Cookie Swaps
I love these easy half batch chocolate chip cookies because you can use all kinds of different mix-ins to change them up. You can add up to 1/3 cup of add-ins. Choose one or do a mix of some of them.
- Chopped chocolate candy bars (like Snickers or Heath Bars) or peanut butter cups.
- M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces
- Other kinds of baking chips like peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips. Mint baking chips would be great, too!
- Chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
You don’t have to halve an egg for this small chocolate cookie recipe – I just use the yolk! So separate the white from the yolk before adding it to the dough.
Regular unsweetened cocoa powder works great or, for a deeper chocolate flavor, try Hershey’s Special Dark.
Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to three days.
Yes, these double chocolate cookies freeze great! Once they are cooled, store them in a freezer bag in the freezer.
It depends on how warm it is in the room, but, in general, raw cookie dough can be left at room temperature for two to four hours.
Small Batch Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (50g) packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (35g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (10g) cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon (70g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (64g) mini chocolate chips
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Stir together melted butter with both sugars in a large bowl. Stir in egg yolk, vanilla, cocoa baking soda and salt. Slowly stir in flour. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop 2 tablespoon size cookie balls on prepared cookie sheet, 2-inches apart. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until just no longer glossy and lightly golden around the bottom edges. Cool before eating.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More Small Batch Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Small Batch Skillet Brownie for Two
- Mini Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie for Two
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
Small Batch Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best when you want fresh-baked cookies but don’t want to spend time making a huge batch. They’re so easy and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Last Updated on January 25, 2023