Red Velvet Brownie Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
So we got all moved into our house. There are boxes everywhere and I can’t find anything, but we’re in. My parents left (thank goodness for their moving help!) and we were looking forward to a nice and relaxing night in our new home. A glass of wine, a hot bath (for me), and a marathon of Hawaii 5-0 on the couch.
And then I pulled the plug to drain the bathtub after my hot, soothing soak.
And my husband started yelling. “PLUG THE BATHTUB!”
I ran downstairs to find my kitchen sink just about to overflow with water.
Under the sink it was raining from the garbage disposal.
Not only was the sink full of water, there were bits of dirt floating around. And pieces of paper. I won’t say what kind. You can probably guess.
Thank God for home warranties and plungers.
Oh, and pie, of course.
As soon as I heard that Tidy Mom was hosting her #Love the Pie party again this year, I knew I had to participate. How could I not?
Plus, I needed some balance after all the water and bleach and plunging. I needed to bake and I needed pie.
Since brownies are a huge obsession for me right now, I thought about a brownie pie. I have had my eye on this recipe for awhile now and thought a red pie would go good this time of year.
Since it’s practically a Thanksgiving rule that you have whipped cream on your pie and red velvet goes so good with cream cheese frosting, I married the two and made a cream cheese whipped cream on the side. Because brownies and pie crust isn’t sinful enough.
Pie: the solution to all life’s problems. Well, and a plumber, anyway.
Red Velvet Brownie Pie
For the Pie
- ½ cup butter — , softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 pie crust — , packaged or from scratch
For the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar — , divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese — , softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unroll your pie crust and place in a 9” pie plate. Chill until ready to fill.
- Combine cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and food coloring in a small bowl. Stir to form a paste.
- Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add cocoa powder mixture and beat until completely incorporated. Mix in flour and salt. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (or only slightly colored). You may want to cover the edges of your crust with foil before baking. (I forgot and my edges got a little too brown for my tastes.) Cool completely. Serve with cream cheese whipped cream.
- Make the cream: Beat 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream with 1 tablespoon sugar about 5 minutes until soft peaks form. Chill until ready to use. Mix 4 ounces softened cream cheese with ½ cup sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla using a hand-held mixer. Fold into whipped cream. Serve with Red Velvet Brownie Pie (or just with a spoon, I won’t tell).
Brownie recipe from How Sweet Eats
Subscribe via email and have sugar delivered straight to your inbox!
This post may be linked to: Chef in Training, Lil’ Luna, Buns In My Oven, Chic-and-Crafty, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays, Strut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Sundae Scoop Link Party, and all of these too!