Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts – I have a serious problem with breakfast pastries. I love them. A lot. It’s hard for me to go to Starbucks and NOT buy a scone.
I also have a serious problem with free things. Like, I get all crazy and my eyes get big and my heart rate speeds up when I’m in Costco at lunchtime. I love free samples. Of anything. Shampoo, food, you name it. I’m addicted to little packets and I firmly believe that one bite of a deep fried piece of shrimp has no calories, because it is a sample and therefore, free.
So, you can assume correctly that free food + breakfast pastry would send me into an absolute tizzy. And you’d be right.
Way back in the dark ages, when I was a teacher at the high school I attended (what up, BHS peeps?), Wednesdays were staff meeting days. School started an hour later for the students, and we teachers got to go to a faculty meeting and enjoy the droning of whatever was deemed important that week.
It was also “Starbucks leftover day.” The best day of the week, if you ask me.
I don’t know if it was a mom who worked at the local Starbucks or if it was just some good samaritan parent who knew we teachers would devour anything free that wasn’t nailed down. Whoever she was, she was like a Goddess sent to us by the Heaven of Free Pastry.
The Goddess would bring in the day-old pastry, rescued from certain dumpster death, and drop them on the front counter in the main office for us.
But here’s the funny part. Were they in bakery boxes? No. Paper Starbucks bags? No.
She would drop them on the counter in all their glory…in a big, clear, plastic garbage bag. (So I never really knew if they actually came from the dumpster or if they were just awaiting their trip to the dumpster when she picked them up for us.)
And us teachers would descend on that garbage bag like it was the last food on earth. I’m amazed no one got penciled over a blueberry scone.
And if I got the blueberry scone? Then it was a good Wednesday.
There would most certainly been some bloodshed if these Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts had been part of the garbage bag.
A peanut butter donut. Dipped completely in chocolate. And topped with chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts.
Has your head exploded yet?
These Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts were a Happy Birthday-Thank You gift for a friend of mine. I hope she doesn’t mind she only got five of them. I had to eat one. Blogging rule #1: always taste.
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 bag chocolate candy melts
- 1 cup chopped mini Reese’s peanut butter cups or you could use peanuts
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 6-hole donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix peanut butter and sugar with a mixer until fluffy. Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla; mix. Stir baking powder, salt, and flour into wet mixture. Mix just until combined. Place your dough into a large Ziploc bag and cut off the tip. Pipe evenly into the donut pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool a few minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When donuts are cool, melt your chocolate according to package directions. Place a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Place the donuts in the chocolate, covering the entire bottom half. Place chocolate-side up on the wire rack and chill to harden. Repeat the dipping process, covering the other half of the donut with chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups while still wet. Let harden and enjoy!