This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Green Chile Egg Casserole is the perfect brunch recipe! It’s got lots of cheese and some spice from green chiles; this recipe is a family favorite!
If you’re looking for an easy egg dish for brunch, this recipe is for you. It comes together in minutes is a great casserole for any meal or gathering. It’s probably the easiest egg dish you’ll ever make!
As you might remember, I turned 40 a few months back. 40 is just a number and I’ve always said that age is how you feel. All I know is that I like 40 a helluva lot better than I liked 30, that’s for sure. However, with an increasing number come new things. New tests at the doctor, new appreciation for a 20-year-old metabolism, and now…glasses.
Guys, I got reading/computer glasses for the first time. I’ve always had perfect vision…but now the doctor says I need a little help. Nothing makes you feel 40 like having to get reading glasses, am I right?
I just picked them up the other day, so they’re still super new. I definitely notice a difference with and without them, and the hope is that I’ll have less eye exhaustion. It was funny actually, I’d known I should make an appointment just for a baseline exam (the last time I got my eyes checked I was 12) but I took Jordan in for her allergies and I was doing her test with her just for fun. The second I covered my right eye I was like Oh, wow, I think I should make an appointment…and now I have a cute pair of reading glasses I’m trying to get used to without getting vertigo.
Something easy to get used to? This egg casserole. It’s full of cheese and diced green chiles so it’s the perfect brunch baked egg dish. We make this for every holiday!
You might recognize this casserole because it’s a variation of my Cheesy Egg Casserole I posted earlier this year. I actually had this one first, and that one is a riff on this one. Does that make any sense?
Years ago I had these baked eggs at a mom’s club event. I had been looking for the perfect egg casserole recipe and the second I tasted it I knew I’d found it. My problem with a lot of egg dishes out there is that there is bread or potatoes or something in them, besides just eggs. Those casseroles are great but when I’m making Christmas or Easter brunch I’m also making cinnamon rolls or monkey bread or some sort of sweet pastry. I don’t want bread in my eggs and sweet carbs too.
This recipe is just eggs and cheese, with some flour for binding and baking powder to help it rise. The base of the recipe is super simple to make and it’s easy to flavor it any way you like. In my old recipe, I used Italian seasonings and mozzarella cheese. This version has a more Mexican or Tex-Mex flare by using jack cheese and diced green chiles.
No matter how you make it, it’s everyone’s favorite egg dish. It disappears fast on Christmas morning, that’s for sure. And my kid, who’s not a huge egg fan, often asks me to make it on just regular mornings. That says a lot, don’t you think?
Green Chile Egg Casserole is a easy cheesy egg bake recipe for brunch!
With just about 10-15 minutes of prep time, this comes together fast. That’s what makes this the perfect brunch dish, because who wants to stand in the kitchen cooking while everyone else is visiting, having fun, and drinking mimosas? If you’re looking for an easy holiday recipe, add this to your list.
Tips for making a green chili egg casserole:
- Be sure to use fresh eggs. I love using cage-free organic eggs; I feel like they taste better than the cheaper brands. But use what you like!
- I know the cottage cheese seems weird. I don’t like cottage cheese plain, but in this you can’t even tell. It ups the protein factor and flavor and you won’t even notice it.
- This is easy to flavor however you want: use the spices and cheese flavors you like.
- I used regular diced green chiles but if you want a kick, use the hot!
- This is great served fresh and warm, of course, but if you have leftovers place slices in sandwich sized bags and freeze them for easy reheating.
Green Chili Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 16 ounce package cottage cheese
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 large eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9x13” pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together butter, cottage cheese, jack cheese, flour, baking powder, chiles, and salt. Whisk in eggs and whisk until combined (mixture will be lumpy).
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until browned and set in the middle. Cool 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Best served fresh, but it can also be sliced and stored in individual containers and frozen. Defrost in microwave.
If you love making egg casseroles for brunch, be sure to try Maria’s Spinach Artichoke Egg Casserole and Becky’s Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole. If you love potatoes too, try this easy Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole – I can’t wait to make that for breakfast for dinner!
Last Updated on January 12, 2021