This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Brownie Cookies combine two favorite desserts in one! They are rich and fudgy like brownies but turned into cookies for a twist. These are the best cookies to cure a serious chocolate craving – they’re made from scratch with melted chocolate and cocoa powder for the best fudgy chocolate texture.
Table of Contents
Yes, Fudgy Brownie Cookies are a thing. And guess what? They’re entirely from scratch! These fudgy cookies are the thing to make for all the chocoholics in your life.
These cookies came to be after a severe weeklong brownie craving. I could not stop thinking about them! But, instead of making brownies, I played around with my favorite brownie recipe and turned it into the best brownie cookie recipe!
I am so happy to report that they came out fantastic – they have the best fudgy brownie texture with gooey pockets of melted chocolate in every bite. In other words, they are a brownie cookie dream come true.
Why You’ll Love Fudgy Brownie Cookies
- This is a no-chill cookie recipe! No waiting is required.
- You don’t need a mixer – just a bowl and a spoon.
- They are made with melted chocolate and cocoa powder – they are seriously chocolatey!
- The recipe is easy, and you’ll have a batch of amazing brownie cookies in no time at all.
Ingredients for Homemade Brownie Cookies
Butter: I start with unsalted butter. If you use salted, reduce the added salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
Unsweetened Baking Chocolate: This is the kind you buy in the baking aisle.
Sugar: Granulated sugar is the sweetness in the cookies, just like in my favorite brownie recipe.
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: More chocolate is never wrong! Be sure to use regular unsweetened, not Dutch Process.
Vanilla: For flavor
Salt: To add flavor. Salt is an important part of dessert recipes!
Baking Soda: This helps the cookies spread a little and makes them soft.
Egg: Be sure to buy large eggs.
All-Purpose Flour: My normal cookie making flour!
Chocolate Chips: Grab your favorite flavor and brand chocolate chips or chunks.
How to Make Brownie Cookies from Scratch
- Melt the baking chocolate and butter in a bowl on high power in the microwave in 30-second increments. Stir between each increment until they are melted and smooth.
- Stir the sugar into the melted chocolate and add the cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix in the egg and then slowly add the flour. Mix just until the dough comes together, and then mix in the chocolate chips. The dough will be thick.
- Scoop two tablespoons of the dough to make each dough ball. Place them 2” apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Lightly press cookies with the palm of your hand to slightly flatten, then bake them for about 10 minutes at 350°F. The cookies are done when they’ve lost most of the glossy sheen. Cool them for 10 minutes before removing them from the sheets.
- For the best fudgy cookies, don’t overmix the dough. Instead, when you add the flour, do it slowly and only mix until it’s absorbed.
- For a pretty presentation, press a few chocolate chips on top of the cookies before baking them.
- If you want to amp up the chocolate flavor, add some instant espresso to the dough. You won’t taste the coffee, but it will enhance and deepen the chocolate flavor.
- Sometimes I sprinkle some sea salt over the tops of the cookies for a sweet and salty twist.
Often cookies are cakey if you add too much flour or over bake them. These should soft and fudgy because they have baking soda not baking powder.
These are done when they just lose their glossy sheen.
You’ll need to press them down slightly with the palm of your hand so they flatten in the oven.
Store these in an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 3 days.
Yes you can freeze these for up to 3 months.
More Brownie Recipes With a Twist
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Fudgy Brownie Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Place butter and baking chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat on high power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth (about 90 seconds). Stir in sugar.
- Add cocoa, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Stir, then stir in egg. Slowly stir in flour until just combined (batter will be thick) and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough 2” apart onto cookie sheets.
- Lightly press cookies with the palm of your hand to slightly flatten, then bake for about 10 minutes, or until most of the sheen is gone. Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.
Fudgy Brownie Cookies – this EASY brownie cookie recipe is completely from scratch and FULL of decadent chocolate!!
Last Updated on October 1, 2021