May 25

Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is comfort food at it’s best; it’s childhood in a sandwich baggie.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies are just that but better, because they’re brownies. Obviously.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies are the BEST fudgy brownies swirled with peanut butter and jelly!

I don’t like PB&J sandwiches. I know, right? Well, back up. I didn’t like them as a kid. Now? I’d probably eat one. I mean, I like PB&J on toast, so … same dif.

But when I was a kid? PB&J was persona non gratta in my lunchbox. I ate plain peanut butter on Home Pride bread, thankyouverymuch. But the fact that I didn’t like jam or jelly or any sort of fruity spread was very perplexing for some. There was the mean babysitter who just slathered on the jelly no matter what her charges liked. There were the times I got incredulous looks.

And then there were the times I ate peanut butter sandwiches at my Nana’s house.

Fudgy and Decadent Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies

Nana didn’t understand how one could eat just peanut butter. Wouldn’t it get stuck in your throat? Wouldn’t the bread be dry? Her solution to this problem? Peanut butter and butter sandwiches.

Tip: don’t eat those.

Like, isn’t peanut butter and butter kind of redundant? Or just gross?

But anyway, it was Nana, and we were at the park, so I let it go. (I’m totally lying. I don’t remember but I’m sure I threw a fit.)

From then on I was a PB&J boycotter until one day I had a craving and NEEDED jelly with my peanut butter toast.

Now my favorite peanut butter and jelly treat is in a rich, fudgy, decadent brownie.

Now THAT is a PB&J.

The BEST Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies

These are the marriage of my super fudgy, decadent brownie recipe and my peanut butter brownie recipe. I used a 9×9 pan to bake them so they’d be super thick and extra fudgy. Cakey brownies need not apply. A brownie should be so rich and thick and under baked it falls apart.

These satisfy that requirement.

My favorite cocoa to use in these brownies is Hershey’s Special Dark. That cocoa gives these their rich dark color and super chocolatey taste. You can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder, or a mix of both. But if you can find the Hershey’s, try it!!

I cut down on the peanut butter topping to make room for the jelly. You simply pick your favorite jelly or jam and stir it up to smooth it out. Then you swirl it on top of the brownie batter like you do with the peanut butter. Just try and keep it away from the edges of the pan or it’ll bubble up.

I baked mine for about 29 minutes. The center was done, but super ooey gooey and almost fall-apart fudgy. Bake yours for a few more minutes if you want them more done.

Let the brownies cool (try to, I dare you) and then slice and enjoy with a large glass of milk.

PB&J Brownies

The ultimate Peanut Butter and Jelly…Brownie!

Peanut Butter & Jelly Brownies

Peanut Butter & Jelly Brownies

For the Brownies
  • 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I love using Hershey’s Dark, but you can use either regular or dark)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • For the peanut butter and jelly swirl:
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup jelly (your favorite flavor; I used strawberry)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Place the two baking chocolates and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat on HIGH power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, salt, and cocoa and stir well. Add flour and stir carefully. Spread batter in prepared pan.
  3. Stir together peanut butter, melted butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Drop spoonfuls on top of the brownies then swirl with a butter knife or the back of a wooden spoon. Place the jelly in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the brownie batter and swirl like you did with the peanut butter. Just be sure to keep the jelly away from the edges of the pan or it will boil and bubble during cooking.
  4. Bake about 28-35 minutes, until they are slightly cracking around the edges. Note: these are gooey brownies in the center. I like mine gooey, so I baked them 29 minutes. If you want them more done, you might want to cook them a few extra minutes. Let cool before slicing into bars.

PB&J Tart

peanut butter and jelly tart

PB&J Gooey Bars

PBJ-Gooey-Bars (1 of 5)w

Salted Butterscotch Brownies

Salted Butterscotch Brownies (7 of 8)w

PB&J Blondies by Averie Cooks
Skillet PB&J Monkey Bread by Picky Palate
PB&J Popcorn by Something Swanky

35 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies”

1. Mir posted on May 25, 2014 at 5:24 am (#)

I think we might have grown up together without knowing it, because I never had jelly on my PB sandwiches and everyone thought I was weird. My husband still looks at me funny whenever I make my sandwich without jelly.
    But on brownies, totally different deal. Jelly belongs in dessert! Just not sandwiches. These look amazing!

2. How to Philosophize with Cake posted on May 25, 2014 at 6:28 am (#)

Those look awesome! Peanut butter and jelly always tastes great in dessert form. :)

3. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on May 25, 2014 at 6:44 am (#)

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who didn’t like pb&j sandwiches. I grew up loving them :) Mixing chocolate with pb&j is an awesome idea.

4. Chloe @ foodlikecake posted on May 25, 2014 at 7:48 am (#)

These brownies look awesome! Peanut butter + jelly + chocolate = amazing! Pinned :-)

5. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on May 25, 2014 at 8:24 am (#)

Growing up, I only liked peanut butter sandwiches too, so I know what you mean! Although now I love pb&j, one of my faves! And I love that you combined these flavors, genius! How could you grow wrong with peanut butter and jelly in a brownie? Pinned!

6. Shaina posted on May 25, 2014 at 8:42 am (#)

Brownies should always be underdone and so rich and gooey you need a fork (or a huge stack of napkins) to eat them! This is the best sounding PB&J in the world

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on May 25, 2014 at 8:54 am (#)

Thanks for the linky love with my PB&J Blondies. I love love the idea of doing brownies! Chocolate can do no wrong! And everything you said about fudgy, not cakey, underbaking, falling apart soft, yep, that is the ONLY way to enjoy brownies :) pinned of course

8. tash @ the velvet moon baker posted on May 25, 2014 at 9:38 am (#)

Oh my heavens dorothy, these sound amazing! Definitely right at the top of my to make and devour list.

9. Mom posted on May 25, 2014 at 10:15 am (#)

These look wonderful. And I love your stories. They take me down memory lane. Keep up the great writing!
    xoxo, Mom

10. Kayla posted on May 25, 2014 at 10:46 am (#)

This is awesome! It seems like the fudge-y addition would really turn this at home classic into an awesome treat.

11. Samina | The Cupcake Confession posted on May 25, 2014 at 11:59 am (#)

I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! I even eat them for breakfast when I’m super bored to fry an egg or cook some oats in milk. But this brownie!!!!!!!????? I think I can accommodate these in all my meals, because, obviously you know, dessert is the most important part of any meal! :D I LOVE that jelly swirl! PINNING!!!!!!!!!!! <3

12. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on May 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm (#)

lol PB and butter sandwiches! eww! My Nana made me PB and banana sandwiches because I didn’t like PB&J either…so much in common you and I ;-)

But pb&j brownies are a combo that I can totally stand behind! And since it’s kind of like the sandwich, it’s lunch right? I mean, of course, I would eat a piece of bread on the side…obvi.

13. Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books posted on May 25, 2014 at 1:10 pm (#)

I love Peanut Butter and Jelly! =) Your Brownie recipe sounds delicious!
    Pinned to my Dessert board.

14. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on May 25, 2014 at 1:43 pm (#)

I can’t believe you didn’t like PB&J growing up haha! I basically lived on PB and J! Glad you’ve made so many awesome desserts now with the combo – these brownies look fantastic! Hope you are having a great weekend!

15. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on May 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm (#)

This is my kind of pb&j!

16. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on May 25, 2014 at 2:59 pm (#)

We must have had the same grandmother somehow. My family always put butter on the bread first for peanut butter and jelly or honey or not. I still put butter on my bread and think my sandwich isn’t complete without it. These brownies look absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to try them.

17. Karen @ The Food Charlatan posted on May 25, 2014 at 5:18 pm (#)

Omg. I love this Dorothy!

18. Mary Frances posted on May 25, 2014 at 5:55 pm (#)

I’ve never liked PBJ but that is because I’ve never had these. Brownies are rich and fudgy – a perfect way to eat the PB and jelly! Oh my gosh, peanut butter and butter? I’ve never heard of that … I guess these have butter in them, but it is NOT the same. Thanks for giving us this version ;)

19. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on May 25, 2014 at 6:30 pm (#)

This is just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a brownie form! Love it! I just made peanut butter cookies, and I wish I had these brownies too, to accompany my cookies! :)

20. Connie | URBAN BAKES posted on May 25, 2014 at 8:57 pm (#)

I guess it’s a brownie kind of day, huh? lol I can agree, I didn’t like jellies and jams when I was a kid but now it’s a requirement if I’m going to have it with peanut butter. That and a cold glass of milk. You’re brownies do look uber fudgy. Love it!

21. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on May 25, 2014 at 9:34 pm (#)

Even now as a thirty-something-year-old, if I’m home alone for dinner, I’ll have a PB&J sammich. So classic and comforting! I love that you put these flavours into brownies, Dorothy. This looks so amazing!

22. Laurie F. posted on May 25, 2014 at 11:00 pm (#)

I don’t like peanut butter on my chocolate, but your photos are so good that I am tempted!

23. Matt Robinson posted on May 25, 2014 at 11:06 pm (#)

PB&J sandwiches were 90% of my diet as a kid! I even sneak in one or two of those a month with my son. The flavoring in these brownies is awesome, love the idea!

24. marcie posted on May 26, 2014 at 9:34 am (#)

What a great idea for a brownie — they look so gooey and delicious! :)

25. Heather @ French Press posted on May 27, 2014 at 10:07 am (#)

now I’m craving my grandmas pb&j – she always made them the best

27. Pingback: Bites from other Blogs - The Recipe Daily

28. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on May 29, 2014 at 9:57 am (#)

This made me giggle. My family is all English, one day my auntie was making lunch asked us what we wanted we said Peanut Butter & Jelly, so what did we get? Peanut Butter, Butter and Jelly… so WRONG! LOL But this brownie sounds awesome, not to mention it’s super pretty to look at!

29. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom posted on May 29, 2014 at 4:21 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy! Just saw this deliciousness on Pinterest and had to come check these out! My oldest daughter is like how you were when you were a kid . . she only likes peanut butter sandwiches. . no jelly. This kid of mine doesn’t even like mac and cheese. I’m not sure she’s mine :P just kidding!! anyway, I freaking LOVE these!! I LOVE PB&J’s!!! can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 29th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Ha, Jordan won’t eat mac and cheese either!!! Ridiuclous! :) Thank you!

30. Debbie Caraballo posted on May 31, 2014 at 7:10 pm (#)

My husband will only eat peanut butter and bread to this day- and I’m one of “those” who can’t understand why he didn’t choke to death as a child…lol! But these brownies look to die for! Thanks Dorothy!

31. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on June 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm (#)

I was totally a PB-only sandwich kid too!! My parents didn’t really question it, and my dad’s solution? Just add more PB to make up for the lack of jelly. It’d be slathered on about 1/2″ thick — NO joke!! :) Love these fudgy brownies; you’re so creative!

32. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on June 6, 2014 at 7:59 am (#)

What a mean baby sitter!

33. Pingback: The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - Crazy for Crust

34. Living The Sweet Life posted on September 5, 2014 at 11:19 am (#)

As I read this delicious post, all I kept thinking was such a childhood classic recipe — I LOVE everything you have mixed into one …. DELISH!!