Oct 22

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites

Want cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites, but want them NOW? Then these are prefect for you – using breadstick dough!

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites | crazyforcrust.com

You know how gals that are friends often, er, sync up? You know what I mean. Well…it happens with things other than that too.

Like food.

Last week, Ashton (you know, my BFF from Something Swanky) posted this picture of her homemade pretzel rolls with butterscotch ganache. She had just completed her photo shoot.

I laughed, loudly to my silent kitchen, then texted her a picture of the photo shoot I was doing that very same day: these pretzel bites with chocolate ganache.

That night, I read her blog and she posted Pumpkin Muffins, and I texted her again, because I’d been planning to make pumpkin muffins the next day.

Great minds think alike. Plus, we’re such great friends, and we think in sugar (constantly) so it’s bound to happen. This is not the first time, and it won’t be the last!

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites | crazyforcrust.com

I love soft pretzels. It’s actually dangerous that there are so many recipes for them out there in blogland. If I make a batch, I’ll eat the entire thing. Probably in less than 24 hours. It’s a skill I’ve finely honed over 36 ears: eat like Man vs. Food. Only, it’s Girl vs. Dessert. Or Girl vs. Carbs. I win, every time.

Last week, when I was at the Pillsbury Test Kitchen (photos soon, I promise…and when I say soon I mean in the next month…or so) we got on the topic of soft pretzels. I told them they needed to get on it: a tube of pretzel dough. I mean…can you imagine? Now that would be scary for me.

So, because they have to, you know, vote on it and invent the recipe. Then test it 5,000 times and do 750 trials with control groups and meet with ad execs to approve packaging, I’ll only assume it’s going to be awhile before those hit the shelves.

In the meantime I made some quick soft pretzel bites that could hold you over.

And I used breadstick dough. Which means you can skip the mixer and the kneading and the rising, and go right to the boiling and baking.

You’re welcome.

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites | crazyforcrust.com

I simply sliced each breadstick into 4 pieces. Then I boiled them in water containing baking soda and salt, and then baked them.

Now…please do not comment and tell me these don’t taste like the soft pretzels you get at the ball game. These are made from breadsticks. Yes, they’re chewy. The salt in the water and the salt in the butter you dip them in make them salty. But taste-wise they are different from regular soft pretzels…because they’re made of breadstick dough. They don’t look browned like pretzels, which is why covering them in cinnamon sugar is key…and well, why wouldn’t you?

Is there another way to eat a soft pretzel? {Yeah…with sprinkles.}

But, covered in butter and cinnamon sugar, warm from the oven they do satisfy that “I need a soft pretzel NOW” need.

And then well, I made chocolate ganache. EVERYTHING is better dipped in ganache. Am I right?

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites | crazyforcrust.com

Oh yeah. I’m right.

Want a traditional pretzel recipe? And BUTTERSCOTCH GANACHE? Go check out Ashton today!

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites

• 1 can of breadstick dough (16.5 ounces; I used Pillsbury Original Breadsticks)
  • 8 cups of water
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, optional

1. Bring your water to a boil in a medium-large pot. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats, or use parchment paper that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. (I highly recommend the silicone; the pretzels even stuck to those a little, parchment will be worse!)
  2. Unroll and separate the breadstick dough. Use kitchen scissors or a serrated knife to cut each breadstick into four pieces, for a total 48.
  3. When the water boils, add the baking soda and salt. Working in batches, place 4-6 pieces of dough in the boiling water for about 15-20 seconds. After a few seconds, flip them over. The dough will change slightly in color. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, tap to remove all water, and place on prepared cookie sheets. Continue until all pretzels are boiled.
  4. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until they start to turn golden on top. (Mine took 13 minutes.)
  5. Melt butter in a small bowl. You should use salted butter for this step; if you only have unsalted, then add a pinch of salt to the butter. Add half the sugar and half the cinnamon to a gallon size ziploc bag, seal, and shake to combine. Dip pretzels into the butter and place in the cinnamon sugar (a few at a time) and shake carefully to coat. Place on a cookie sheet and repeat until all pretzels are done, replenishing the sugar/cinnamon about halfway through. (I found that my cinnamon sugar mixture started to get clumpy partway through because of the butter, which is why I suggest doing it in two parts.)
  6. Serve warm or room temperature, with optional chocolate ganache for dipping. Best served the day of. These didn’t taste as great on day 2! To make the ganache, add cream and chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl (I use a glass measuring cup) and heat for 30-45 seconds. Whisk until chocolate melts and let sit at room temperature until it thickens slightly. You can do this before making the pretzels, or while they are in the oven.

Cake Mix Soft Pretzels

Cake Batter Soft Pretzels (3 of 7)w

Toffee Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies

peanut butter pretzel toffee cookies 3(3 of 6)w

Cookie Butter Pretzels

biscoff pretzels 2 words

Soft Pretzel Nuggets by The Gunny Sack
Cheese Stuffed Pretzels by Oh Sweet Basil
Pumpkin Pretzel Bites by Something Swanky
30 Minute Soft Pretzels by Sally’s Baking Addiction

57 Responses to “Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on October 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm (#)

I love that you and Ashton are on the same wavelength (I opened both of your posts at the same time from my feed) and was like whoa…what’s this all about! Both butterscotch and cinn/sugar are amazing. I would love a big bowl of these right now! And your shortcut method…amen to that sometimes! :)

2. carrian posted on October 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm (#)

Love those little sugary nuggets! Glad we got to hang last week and thanks for the link!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:57 am

It was awesome to hang with you too Carrian!

3. LoverOfAnythingChocolate posted on October 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm (#)

Honestly, I never heard of pretzel bites before, these look good!
    And yes, everything is better with chocolate, for the most part.

4. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on October 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm (#)

You and Ashton are the best. Seriously. And these look amazing!!

5. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on October 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm (#)

Love this spin. Quick and delicious!

6. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on October 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm (#)

I just opened a bunch of posts on bloglovin and I thought to myself hmm pretzels! They both look great, but regular chocolate ganache is in my loooover!!!

7. Kristin posted on October 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm (#)

All I have to do is walk by the pretzel stand in the mall and I’m sold. I love making my own!

8. Tieghan posted on October 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

Haha! That is so awesome! How fun to have a blogging buddy like that! You two are surly one of a kind! :)

Love these pretzel bites and how easy they are. Perfect for a quick fix!

9. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on October 22, 2013 at 7:17 pm (#)

This looks amazing! I’m going to have to skip dinner and make this instead!

10. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on October 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

Ok, I am sitting here laughing because my hubby and I were just talking about using some pillsbury dough to make pretzels. Seriously just earlier before I saw this. That is way too funny! Definitely great minds thinking alike!!

11. Ashley M. posted on October 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm (#)

These look so yummy! Im a sucker for anything covered in cinnamon sugar.

12. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on October 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm (#)

Mmmm, these look amazing! Love the chocolate ganache. I want these in my house right this very second. :) Also, I love your photo styling! Gorgeous.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:56 am

Thanks Erin!!

13. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on October 22, 2013 at 10:41 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, I could only imagine that how addicting these much be! #dangerous

14. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on October 23, 2013 at 3:02 am (#)

There can never be too many pretzel recipes. Can’t wait to try yours and Ashton’s versions.

15. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on October 23, 2013 at 5:27 am (#)

Haha – I’ve been there! Bloggy minds think alike! :)

These bites sound awesome!

16. tanya posted on October 23, 2013 at 6:09 am (#)

These are dangerously delicious! Oh my gosh Dorothy! I could eat the entire batch and then lick the chocolate bowl clean!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:56 am

Um, yeah. I *may* have done that…

17. Melanie @ carmelmoments.com posted on October 23, 2013 at 6:43 am (#)

These look crazy GOOD! I’m a sucker for cinnamon sugar pretzels.

18. Jennifer | Bake or Break posted on October 23, 2013 at 9:32 am (#)

Cinnamon sugar pretzels are the best. I could do some serious damage on a plate of those.

19. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on October 23, 2013 at 10:44 am (#)

These look incredible and so easy to make because you don’t have to make the dough! Love it!

20. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on October 23, 2013 at 11:16 am (#)

Love love love this idea! If I can make pretzels that don’t involve boiling, frying, or rising, then I’m so there. :)
    Totally pinning and making!

21. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on October 23, 2013 at 11:34 am (#)

I like the way you think … skip making the dough and all :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:55 am

I’m all about easy!

22. Wendy posted on October 23, 2013 at 11:44 am (#)

These snackable bites are worthy of a category of their own. If it wasn’t for SEO these delectable morsels could be called Cinnamon Sugar Soft Bread Stick Bites. Then you wouldn’t have to explain that they are slightly different from pretzels. But the danger of these being lost in obscurity isn’t worth it. What is worth it, is making a batch!

23. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on October 23, 2013 at 1:27 pm (#)

What a fun treat for fall baking! These sweet-salty bites look like heaven. And with that chocolate ganache? Asdfhjsk.

24. Nicole posted on October 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm (#)

Oh my gawd, YES! Pretzel dough in a tube … I would be all over that!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:53 am

I know, right???

25. Tahnycooks.com posted on October 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm (#)

How did I miss seeing this yesterday!! Oh my stinking goodness these look so good! I have wondered how canned dough would work but never tried it! You are good!!! Girl, I would love some of these in front of me right now!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:53 am

Thanks Tahny!

26. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on October 23, 2013 at 4:32 pm (#)

It’s funny how we gals “sync” up. These pretzel bites look fantastic. Pinned.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:51 am

Thank you for the pin!

27. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on October 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm (#)

Lol!!! I love how your foodie brains are on the same wavelength!!

I’m not usually a fan of soft pretzels EXCEPT when they’re cinnamon sugar-ohhh yes. That is the good stuff. These look so yummlicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:51 am

Thanks Kayle!

28. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on October 23, 2013 at 8:48 pm (#)

These pretzel bites look so delicious – I’ve pinned them earlier. The cinnamon sugar coating is so pretty. I could snack on these all day long!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:50 am

Thanks for the pin Julia!!

29. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on October 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm (#)

These are brilliant. I love that you made them with breadstick dough. I think we should dunk everything in ganache!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:49 am

I think so too! :)

30. Jamie@Milk 'n' Cookies posted on October 24, 2013 at 3:38 am (#)

Oh man — you mean I can use ganache as a DIP?! Way too good to be true. These cinnamon square pretzel bites remind me of the cinnamon sugar pretzels I used to get from Auntie Anne’s. Yum!

And yes, Pillsbury should definitely make a soft pretzel dough. I’d be all over that stuff!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:49 am

It would be very dangerous, would it not??? :)

31. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on October 24, 2013 at 6:35 am (#)

I’ve never seen breadstick dough used as a shortcut! I’m imagining the texture and flavor and yep, my mouth is watering. I hate/love it when people post the same thing I do on the same day (its scary and funny at the same time … it IS halloween:) Oh, and Girl always beat carbs around here. It wouldn’t even need a competition with these around!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:49 am

LOL, carbs rock. :)

32. Rachel @the dessert chronicles posted on October 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

these look so good! So interesting that you use breadstick dough. Pinning this right now!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Thanks for the pin!!

33. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on October 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm (#)

Such a great idea to use breadstick dough here, Dorothy. That just means I can have soft, warm, pillowy bites of carbs smothered in sugar-cinnamon as soon as possible!

34. Emily @ Life on Food posted on October 27, 2013 at 4:27 pm (#)

The more sweet treats the better. These look super good. Football game finger food -having these in the room would keep me entertained.

35. Pingback: Favorite Pinterest Finds of the Week #2 | A Pinch of Glitter

36. Amy posted on October 29, 2013 at 10:55 pm (#)

That’s so cute about you and Ashton! It’d be fun to do a series where you both decide to make the same basic thing and then put your own special tweak on it. Like basic sugar cookies. Or chocolate cupcakes. Or dessert pizza. Or fudgy brownies. Or… (Darn it, now I’m craving dessert all over again!) Love the simplicity of your recipe too! :)

37. Carole Hanna posted on November 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm (#)

I am particularly excited about the Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites, as I am addicted to the ones from Auntie Anne’s. I love the fact that the base is breadstick dough. I’m really anxious to try them out.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 20th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Enjoy!! :)

38. Pingback: My 15 favorite recipes of 2013 - Crazy for Crust

39. Bryn posted on December 30, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

FYI…they have canned pretzel dough at aldi. We buy it all the time bc my girls love them. Even comes with salt :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 31st, 2013 at 6:58 am

I don’t know that store – what is the brand? I’ll have to look and see if I can find it!

40. Pingback: Nice Vegan Cooking Games | Pizza Cooking

41. Jacob posted on June 16, 2014 at 11:33 am (#)

These don’t taste like ball game pretzels :P
    But they’re better :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 16th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I’m glad you liked them Jacob!!