Sep 04

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

Okay, so I kinda lied a little. Well, more like, omitted.

These aren’t just Pumpkin Streusel Muffins. They are Pumpkin Streusel BRAN muffins.

I figured the “bran” part would scare you away.

It doesn’t taste like a bran muffin. I promise! I tastes like pumpkin goodness.

I know that many of you balk at the thought of bran muffins. I usually do too, except for this recipe. It’s the one from the All-Bran box, and it’s awesome.

My Nana (my dad’s mom) introduced me to the All-Bran muffin recipe. From third grade until sixth, Nana watched me before and after school, and all day during the summers.It was from her that I learned not only about a loving grandparent, but also about how lunch should be a three-course meal and it should be followed by dessert.

Nana also introduced me to the best sugar cookies ever. She used to make them for me all the time. I’d lick the sugar off the top and eat my weight in them. Years later I asked for the recipe and guess what? They were Pillsbury slice-and-bake.

My Nana knew how much I loved all things carb. Whenever we’d have dinner at her house she’d make me biscuits, or what we called “bissy-cats”.

Every few weeks I’d get to her house in the morning and a fresh batch of bran muffins would be sitting on the counter, cooling in the peach-colored muffin tin. These muffins were the reason I begged my mom and dad for her muffin tin. It’s in my cabinet, and I use it often. Mainly, I have it so that I can remember my Nana.

Now, I admit. These aren’t Nana’s bran muffins. I mean, they are her basic recipe, but I added Fall to them.

I’m SO ready for Fall. I’m over sweating, hot weather, and shorts.

It’s cooled off in the mornings here to high 50s…but by school pick-up it’s still in the 90s. HOT. We’ve got at least another month before we get relief. Sigh.

So I figured, if I make Fall treats…maybe Fall will come.

Like the Field of Dreams...only with sugar.

I replaced the oil and eggs in this recipe with canned pumpkin. Then I topped them with brown sugar streusel. Because streusel makes everything better. (Double the recipe for more of a coating…I was trying to be all “healthy” and stuff. Stupid pants don’t fit anymore.)

The pumpkin amazingly makes these SO moist and delicious. Like, more moist than regular eggs and oil. Seriously.

You reeealllly don’t taste the bran. I promise! And, they are filling – great for a post workout snack.

So there you have it. Low-fat healthy Fall on a plate.

Mother Nature? You listening? Bring Fall please and I’ll make you some muffins.

Yield: 12 muffins

Prep Time: Pumpkin Streusel {Bran} Muffins

Ingredients:

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon, divided
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 cups bran cereal (I used All-Bran original, not flakes)
  • 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or butter spread, melted

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners and spray with cooking spray. (Don’t forget to spray the liners - the muffins will stick if you don’t!)
  2. Place the bran and milk in a large bowl. Let soak while you mix your dry ingredients.
  3. Place 1 1/4 cups flour (reserve the 1 tablespoon for the topping), sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a separate bowl and whisk.
  4. Add pumpkin to bran mixture and stir. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined. Evenly divide batter among 12 muffin cups (they don’t rise much, so you can fill them pretty full).
  5. Mix melted butter, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl. Using your hands, sprinkle a little on each muffin.
  6. Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly before serving. Best served warm. (I like to keep some in the freezer to microwave after a workout.)

Notes:

Muffins are best served within 2 days. They also freeze well; just microwave for a few seconds for a warm snack any time of day!

Adapted from the All Bran Cereal box.

Enjoy!

102 Responses to “Pumpkin Streusel Muffins”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 4, 2012 at 5:05 pm (#)

now this is the best ‘bran’ muffin i have ever seen!! love the streusel topping, and of course, the pumpkin!

2. Shannon posted on September 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm (#)

These look delicious Dorothy! I love warm muffins and especially with pumpkin in them (even with the bran). I pinned it :) Hope you’re having a great week!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 4th, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Shannon! I hope you are too!

3. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 4, 2012 at 5:24 pm (#)

I’m with you on the fall baking for fall weather! And I’m loving this recipe–I actually have a banana bran muffin I was planning to bake this week, but this pumpkin version looks amazing. Pumpkin is by far my favorite flavor of all time–can’t get enough! YUM!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 4th, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Mmmmm banana bran! I’ll have to try that version too!

4. Tracy posted on September 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm (#)

If we all bake some of these do you think Fall will come earlier? I’d be willing to make them everyday!
    Btw – I love anything with Streusel in the name.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:26 am

That’s the hope! I’m going to do my darndest to try anyway. ;)

5. Nancy W posted on September 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm (#)

These pumpkin muffins look delicious! I have numerous pie pumpkins growing in my garden, I will have to try your recipe. Pinning it!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:27 am

I hope you like them! I wish we could grow pumpkins; never had any luck!

6. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on September 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm (#)

Admittedly, bran muffins kind of scare me because of the whole arch-enemy-thing between my stomach and bran. Sorry, I’ll spare you the 411 on THAT story. However, I was there when you made these and you were beaming over your little muffins, AND they have brown sugar streusel (which is the best ever) AND they have pumpkin in them, so I’m going to go out, face my fear, and say these bran muffins look awesome. And I want one.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:28 am

Bran too? Yikes. Bran is the only thing that…well you know. It’s a good thing on this side of the computer. ;) And thanks Hayley, you’re always so sweet!

7. Trish posted on September 4, 2012 at 7:01 pm (#)

Wow…very “fall-ie” is that a word??? In short, YUM. I bet they smell good too.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:28 am

That they do! Thanks Trish!

8. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on September 4, 2012 at 7:38 pm (#)

Did you get a new camera? New lighting??? You’re pictures are looking SO good!! I’m in love with streusel. On anything. So this is heavenly :)

PS- I’m texting you and commenting on your blog :) :) :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:29 am

I wish!!!!! The camera is next on my list. But thank you, I think the light is finally in my favor for, like, 5 minutes a day. :)

9. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on September 4, 2012 at 7:56 pm (#)

Oh Dorothy! You always make me laugh so hard! I just love reading your posts and the gorgeous photos and delicious recipes are just icing on the cake – or I guess in this case, streusel on the muffin :) Pinning now and I’m right with you in wishing Fall would hurry up and A.R.R.I.V.E. Enough of summer already!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:30 am

Thanks Trish! That’s the goal. :) 90s all week – Fall best hurry up!

10. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#)

Those look great. Why hide Bran? It’s so good and wonderful for you. It’s not something crazy like avocado in the muffin :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:30 am

Oh, believe me. I’ve thought about it…. ;)

11. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm (#)

I am quite ok with healthy snacks…I’m having pants issues as well!! I do love what pumpkin does in baked goods…so moist and delicious!!! Yup, I’m officially and completely ready for warm weather to go away!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:31 am

Ha, thanks! Silly pants. They just don’t get that we’re just doing our jobs, for goodness sakes!

12. cindy posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm (#)

These look delicious. Can’t wait to make these–I’m ready for pumpkin.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:31 am

I wasn’t ready, but I am now! :) Thanks so much for reading!

13. Back For Seconds posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm (#)

I am not afraid of bran muffins, especially these. Holy cow they look good! And I love you stories about your nana, she sounds like she was an awesome grandma! Thank you for sharing :)

14. Heather @French Press posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm (#)

love the streusel – enough to eat a bran muffin:) I hope your if we make it- it will come attitude works. no more sweat!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:32 am

That’s my hope! Thanks Heather. :)

15. Kristin posted on September 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm (#)

My MIL makes great bran muffins. My pumpkin muffin recipe is actually hers, but she puts bran in it. I’m too lazy for such things.
    However, I might have to give this a try! :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:33 am

I hope you like it! Family recipes are the best…even if they do come from the side of a box. Or a tube of cookie dough. :)

16. keri @ shaken together posted on September 5, 2012 at 1:34 am (#)

I’m not scared of bran … we made bran muffins in middle school home ec class. I bet yours taste better and an A+ all the way!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:33 am

All I remember of MS home ec was cold nasty sloppy joe’s. I totally would have preferred muffins! Thanks Keri!

17. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on September 5, 2012 at 3:15 am (#)

I secretly LOVE LOVE LOVE bran muffins!! I know, I’m like 80 years old. They are my favorite kind. I shy away from posting them all over my blog because mostly everyone I know has a huge sweet tooth for decadent muffins. These are by far, the YUMMIEST bran muffins I’ve ever seen Dorothy! I am so excited you posted this recipe b/c i love pumpkin too. The best of both worlds for a yummy fall breakfast. :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:34 am

You’re not alone, I’m right with you in my 80ness. Hey, let’s both make bran muffins filled with candy and sugar and sprinkles. Some good to go with the bad, ha! Thanks Sally!

18. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on September 5, 2012 at 3:38 am (#)

Mmmm, you know I love all things pumpkin!

19. Carrie's Experimental Kitchen posted on September 5, 2012 at 5:09 am (#)

Bring on Fall is right and these sound amazing. Thanks for sharing!

20. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on September 5, 2012 at 5:15 am (#)

aww what a good nana, my grandma made me pudding with sprinkles at the bottom, I will always remember that. And I hate bran muffins, bad memories of my mom making them with raisins, gag! But pumpkin I could do!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:35 am

Oh, I can see how the raisins would do it. I think Nana may have done that … but only once! :) Raisins are the devils food. Ha!

21. Erin @ Making Memories posted on September 5, 2012 at 6:20 am (#)

What great memories with have of your Nana. And that’s hysterical that her sugar cookies were Pilsbury! Your muffins look fantastic. I don’t eat bran muffins because they scare me but these? I’m totally makign them. Thanks!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:36 am

I know, huh? They shouldn’t scare you! If they are sweet and good you don’t taste the bran. I want to add chocolate chips, ha! Thanks Erin!

22. Tonia @TheGunnySack posted on September 5, 2012 at 6:45 am (#)

Looks delicious! I love pumpkin and am so excited for fall and all things pumpkin!

23. Elaine posted on September 5, 2012 at 7:49 am (#)

These look delicious! And I’m sure you can’t even taste the bran cereal, so good call on not including it in the title :) Since I don’t eat a lot of cereal (and for all of those people who are totally turned off from All-Bran), I’m wondering if there is another ingredient I could substitute for the bran cereal? Thanks for always sharing great recipes and ideas!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I would think Oatmeal would work – but I’m not sure how you would need to soak it. Possibly just sub the oatmeal and then add enough milk to the final mixture to get a muffin-batter consistency. Let me know how it works if you try it – I’d love to know!

• Elaine replied on September 5th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

That’s a good idea! And I always have oatmeal on hand, so I’ll definitely give that a try and keep you posted on the results.

24. Pingback: Pumpkin Streusel Muffins | Crazy for Crust

25. Lisa P posted on September 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm (#)

These look yummy to the tummy! Do you know how many calories per muffin?

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I’m sorry, but I am unable to calculate that. The All-Bran recipe says 170 calories per muffin, but that is with eggs and oil. The absence of those must make it better for you, right? :)

26. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on September 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm (#)

Whoa, these look like big mamas! The bran doesn’t scare me away, I could use some bran in my diet right now. These are so perfect for fall.

27. Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry posted on September 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm (#)

HAHA, I love this! I am dying right now to start baking with pumpkin. I want to dig into these so bad!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Shawn! I’m hoping if I bake it, it will come. :)

28. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on September 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm (#)

Bran! BRAN!? How dare you give us a bran recipe!! *shock horror*

:P

These muffins look delicious, bran or no bran. I’m a big fan of pumpkin pie so something tells me I’d be super into these muffins!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

LOL! They don’t even taste like bran to me. Next time I’ll add chocolate. :)

29. Kim of Mo'Betta posted on September 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#)

I believe I just found my 1st pumpkin recipe of the ‘season’!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Oooh, I hope you like them!

30. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on September 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm (#)

I am so buying All Bran next time I go to the store. These muffins look amazing!

31. Crystal {@phatbakes} posted on September 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm (#)

Aww! You’re too cute! Your Nana sounds amazing, too! Maybe I’ll try this bad boys out! ♥

32. Jelli posted on September 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm (#)

I’d love to sink my teeth into that beauty! Love most pumpkin desserts, and when they’re fancied up in lace I can’t help but be wooed. Thanks for sharing this yumminess. Found your blog from Tastetastic Thurs.

33. Winnie posted on September 6, 2012 at 7:08 am (#)

Wowwww – Pumpkin streusel muffin – sounds fantastic
    I totally agree – streusel makes everything better :)
    The texture seems to look moist – yummy
    Pinned

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 11:53 am

Thanks Winnie! They were incredibly moist. :)

34. Ellen posted on September 6, 2012 at 10:34 am (#)

These are SO right up my alley! I absolutely Luv pumpkin in just about anything. Now, I’m thinking pumpkin frosting. Hum…

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 11:52 am

OOOOOH that would be so good. Maybe cinnamon schnapps???

35. Baking Serendipity posted on September 6, 2012 at 11:12 am (#)

I think I’m more excited about the bran in these. It means I can eat extra…right? :) PS: I’m loving the new look!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Yes, totally. And thank you! :)

36. lizy b posted on September 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm (#)

first of all, get rid of the dumb pants….they are dumb. They should learn to fit under all circumstances. Second, I will be joining you on this ‘fall dance’ and make punpkin muffins for my munchkins. Bring on the cooler weather!!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

LOL! I’m totally doing to do that. :) Thanks Lizy!

37. Joan@Chocolate and More posted on September 8, 2012 at 8:16 am (#)

I have a secret, it’s shameful really. Promise not to make fun of me. I’ve never tasted pumpkin in my life. But I have made a resolution to get over this and start trying a few pumpkin recipes this season. These look like a perfect way to start.! Pinned!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 9th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

What??? Oh you must remedy that. I can’t really judge, I’ve never tasted lots of things, ha! :) Thanks for the pin Joan!

38. Dawn @ DJ's Sugar Shack posted on September 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm (#)

How funny that your grandmother’s sugar cookie recipe were slice and bake cookies:) I used to make White chocolate chip cookie from a tube every Christmas when I was in high school and people raved about them. I’m kind of scared to make then from scratch. What if they are terrible. My cover will be blown.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 9th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I know! That’s how I feel about cake. From a box is so good, I’m always afraid of from scratch. :)

39. madge | the vegetarian casserole queen posted on September 9, 2012 at 4:47 am (#)

What sweet stories you have of your Nana. Thanks for sharing them and your fall recipe! I, too, am ready for fall…usually as soon as summer starts. I don’t enjoy hot weather…yuck!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 9th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Me neither! Thank you so much for visiting!

40. Pingback: 12 Fall Crafts and Treats | TidyMom

41. TidyMom posted on September 9, 2012 at 9:15 am (#)

Bring on the fall recipes!! I’m SO ready!! these look fantastic!
    Thanks so much for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/a-taste-of-fall/

Have a fabulous rest of the weekend!

42. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on September 10, 2012 at 8:49 am (#)

Nana’s are just the best! Thanks for this recipe. I have been making muffins for the kids to eat as a quick schoolday breakfast and BRAN must mean these are healthy!

Isn’t it funny to find out that one of your favorite recipes is from the freezer section? haha

• crazyforcrust replied on September 10th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I know, huh? And these are definitely more healthy than not. :)

43. Pingback: 10 Fall Projects & Recipes » Little Inspiration

44. Pingback: S'mores Granola | Crazy for Crust

45. Michelle posted on September 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm (#)

Dorothy,
    These look scrumptious! I can’t wait to try the recipe. Pumpkin is one of my favorite flavors. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

46. TheGirls@WhimsicallyHomemade posted on September 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm (#)

I am so glad fall is back and that it’s okay to bake pumpkin treats again. I love these and they look sooo yummy. I’m gonna have try them. Pumpkin and bran is double the fun for me. Thanks for sharing! Love from Whimsically Homemade!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 13th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thank you! I hope you enjoy!

47. Kelley posted on September 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm (#)

I dont know what I want more.. this muffin.. or fall to come. Maybe if I eat the muffin then fall with follow? Ahhh.. I wish! :)

Thanks for linking up to Financial Friday! Im featuring this tomorrow at 7! :)

48. Pingback: Triple Mocha Donuts | Crazy for Crust

49. Amy posted on September 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm (#)

AMAZING!! Have tried a few different pumpkin muffin recipes before and these are by far the best … and healthy too! Was a bit doubtful at first with the no butter/oil, egg or milk, but they turned out great. Will definitely be making these again. Thank you : )

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Yay! I’m glad you liked them. I had one for breakfast today….mmmm. :)

50. Pingback: Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake

51. Pingback: Financial Friday + Features + Signs By Andrea Giveaway!

52. Pingback: Whatever Friday | Crazy for Crust

53. Pingback: Triple Chocolate Pudding Muffins - Something Swanky

54. Pingback: Skinny Chocolate Muffins {Only 102 calories each!} - Crazy for Crust

55. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on May 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm (#)

Okay, I couldn’t resist commenting and pinning. These are screaming my name, like at the top of their lungs: “make me, eat me!” I A-D-O-R-E pumpkin and, what can I say, cook with it all year round. Thanks Dorothy!

56. Pingback: Lemon Blueberry Muffins {with white chocolate glaze} - Crazy for Crust

57. Pingback: Wheat Germ Pancakes - Crazy for Crust

58. CatheineP posted on September 5, 2014 at 12:27 pm (#)

I made these 2 days ago and my boys (2 years old and almost 4 years old) gobbled them up. My oldest even ate 3 of them in one sitting. This is definitely a keeper recipe. Using bran cereal is genius. I did add 3 Tbsp of oil and 1 tsp vanilla.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 5th, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Yay!! I’m so glad you enjoyed them!!