This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Covered Pecans (AKA Muddy Buddy Pecans) are not only addictive and delicious, but they’re the perfect make-ahead treat for the holidays. Or…whenever you’re craving a snack with chocolate, pecans, and peanut butter!
Table of Contents
Crazy Chocolate Covered Pecans
The funny thing about this chocolate covered pecans recipe is that it’s really simple to do. Like, way simple. Who knew that something this yummy could be so easy to make?
It’s so easy; it’s dangerous. Because once you realize that a dessert like this takes just minutes to make, it’s going to have a pull on you from this point on.
You might as well just understand that these chocolate dipped pecans are life-changing and give in to the snacking temptation. I did, and I’ve never regretted that choice! These are LITERALLY the best chocolate covered pecans that you’ll ever make.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- SO easy to make – just as easy as making traditional puppy chow
- Use pecans, walnuts, almonds – any nuts you like!
- These package and ship well and have a long shelf life, so they’re the perfect holiday gift.
Ingredients in Chocolate Covered Pecans
- Pecan halves – You can also use any other type of nut that you’d like. Almonds, peanuts, cashews, etc.
- Chocolate chips (milk or semi sweet) – Change up the chocolate to easily change up the flavor.
- Peanut butter – I like to use creamy peanut butter for the texture.
- Unsalted butter – Unsalted butter is actually pretty important for this recipe, so don’t swap it with salted butter.
- Powdered sugar – To coat the toasted nuts with sweetness!
How to make Chocolate Covered Pecans
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make. It’s perfect for the holidays or a great snack to have in the house to curb those sweet tooth cravings.
- Add the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter into a bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, then reheat again and repeat until the chocolate is melted all the way.
- Add the pecans to the melted chocolate mixture and toss or stir to coat.
- Add the powdered sugar to a large sealable bag. Pour the coated pecans into the bag with the powdered sugar and close it well. Shake to coat the pecans with the sugar.
- Pour them out on a cookie sheet and let them cool.
Make this a fun family recipe! Have the kids be in charge of shaking the bag once the nuts and powdered sugar are inside! They’ll have a blast giving it a good shake and trying to get all the pecans coated!
Storage Tips and Freezing
How to store chocolate covered pecans: Make sure to keep these pecans stored in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them as fresh as possible. They should last for up to 2 weeks!
Can you freeze pecans? Just store them in a freezer-safe bag, and they should stay good for up to 3 months. You might need to add more powdered sugar once they’re unthawed.
They’re a snack that can be healthier. The nuts are a healthy fat, and if you use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, you could add some extra nutrients as well!
You can! You can add in some shredded coconut or even mix in some caramel as well. One of the easiest ways to change up the flavor is to change up the flavor of chocolate that you use.
You can also omit the peanut butter if it’s not something that you want to have added. When I say that this recipe is versatile, it is!
Yes, you can! Coconut oil is a great way to add even more healthy fats to this recipe. Just swap out the butter and put in the coconut oil.
Have You Made This Recipe?
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Muddy Buddy Pecans Recipe
- 3 cups (360g) pecan halves toasted (see note)
- ½ cup (85g) chocolate chips (milk or semi sweet)
- ½ cup (134g) peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (113g) powdered sugar
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium sized bowl. Heat in the microwave on high power, in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour over pecans and toss to coat.
- Place 1 cup powdered sugar in a large gallon size bag. Pour pecans in the bag, seal, and shake to coat. Turn out onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze these for up to 3 months (but you may need to re-roll them in powdered sugar upon thawing).
Muddy Buddy Pecans are Chocolate Covered Pecans with powdered sugar and peanut butter! They’re candied pecans that are perfect for snacking, gifts or holidays.
Last Updated on February 27, 2023