Dec 19

Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Snowballs

Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Snowballs | crazyforcrust.com

It was only a matter of time before I stuffed more candy into Snowballs. The Reese’s ones were such a huge hit, that I knew I had to do it again. And this time? I used Rolos.

You all love your Rolo stuffed cookies, am I right? Well, I hope you love these too!

But, instead of just stuffing a Rolo into my Mom’s Russian Teacakes, I wanted to change them up a bit.

So I made them chocolate.

You’re welcome.

Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Snowballs | crazyforcrust.com

Now, I tried making them chocolate last year. That’s actually the first time I tried making these cookies. And, it turns out, when you add cocoa powder to cookies, it does not replace the flour. They spread way too much, and looked like a flat cookie with a bump in the middle.

This year, I decided to try again. It’s a hard job, but someone has to do it.

When I added the cocoa, I just added the normal amount of flour. And they worked! They stayed balls, like they’re supposed too.

Stuffing the Rolo inside is just the icing on the cake. Or the caramel on the turtle, as it were. These are like Turtle Snowballs: chocolate pecan cookies stuffed with caramel.

A few notes about the cookies:

• They’re big. I mean, they’re a cookie stuffed with a Rolo, so they have to be big.
  • If you want a visual on how to do the stuffing, check out my Reese’s Stuffed Snowballs post. Basically, you make 1 tablespoon balls of dough and wrap two of them around a Rolo.
  • Careful baking them – it’s hard to tell when chocolate cookies are done. Be sure to rotate the pans halfway through baking and take them out once they lose their sheen. Otherwise the bottoms will cook too much.
  • The Double Roll in powdered sugar is why they are so white. I always double roll them!
  • You can freeze these. Place them in a ziploc bag (or a Tupperware). Place paper towels between the layers. When you take them out to defrost, leave the paper towels between to absorb moisture.
  • Serve these room temperature. The Rolo isn’t gooey, so you for sure don’t want them cold or the caramel will be too tough. Another option: make them with Caramel Hershey’s Kisses for a softer caramel!

Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Snowballs | crazyforcrust.com

And yes, Mom. These are in the freezer – for YOU! :)

Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Snowballs

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

• 1 cup soft butter
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cups finely chopped pecans
  • 24 Rolos, unwrapped
  • Powdered sugar for rolling (about 1 - 1 1/2 cups)

Directions:

1. Preaheat oven to 375°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Mix butter, ½ cup powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the nuts. If dough is too soft, chill it until you can work it easily with your hands.
  3. Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough and flatten with your hands. Place 1 Rolo on top. Take another tablespoon of dough, flatten it, and lay it on top the Rolo. Press the sides together and roll to form a sealed ball of dough. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
  4. Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes until bottoms are just slightly brown. Remove from oven and cool for just a minute, until you can handle them. Fill a small bowl with additional powdered sugar and roll each cookie in the sugar until coated.
  5. Place on a rack to cool. (Once cookies are cooled, you may want to re-roll them in more powdered sugar.)

Mom’s Russian Teacakes

Russian Tea cakes (3 of 5)w

Reese’s Stuffed Snowballs

Reese's Stuffed Snowballs (2 of 2)w

Easy Dark Chocolate PB Cookies

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies (5 of 7)w

Brownie Bites stuffed with Rolos by Cooking on the Front Burner
Rolo Stuffed Monkey Bread by Something Swanky
Rolo Martini by Wine and Glue

38 Responses to “Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Snowballs”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on December 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm (#)

Oh I LOVE Rolos and they’re probably my #1 (tied w/ PB Cups) candy to stuff into cookies. They don’t ooze or leak and that caramely goodness would be perfect in your snowballs!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I love that about them too! And, well, eating them. :) Thanks Averie!

2. Amy posted on December 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm (#)

I think I just went into a chocolate-and-caramel coma… Those look SO good! You’re absolutely brilliant Dorothy! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with a huge cookie. Especially when it’s a chocolate cookie, stuffed with caramel and more chocolate. ;) Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 7:19 pm

That’s for sure Amy!

3. Wendy posted on December 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm (#)

Stuffed cookies are always a hit and the chocolate-caramel combo is always a winner. :) The cocoa vs flour thing is surprising. I would have made the same substitution. I HAVE made that same substitution in flat cookies and in cake. I wonder what makes this recipe different? I am glad you kept at it though, because these cookies came out great! :)

• Mom replied on December 19th, 2013 at 5:58 pm

It’s probably all of the butter.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I think it’s from the butter. It needs all the flour to not melt, and I don’t think cocoa does the same thing as flour. It must react differently in different things; I’ve made the same subs as you before with success!

4. Mom posted on December 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm (#)

Wow, I can’t wait. Thanks. xoxo

5. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on December 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm (#)

First off, super cute that your mom comments! Hi Dorothy’s mom! hee hee My mom would not even know where to begin. Second uh rolos stuffed in cookies covered in powdered sugar! Sign me up!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

My mom is my biggest fan. :) Thanks Nancy!

6. Wendy | Around My Family Table posted on December 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm (#)

I didn’t think snowball cookies could get more irresistible! Way to prove me wrong by stuffing creamy rolos inside!

7. tanya posted on December 20, 2013 at 3:47 am (#)

Not only did you make snowballs chocolate, but then you went and stuffed a Rolo inside!! Well there goes my waistline.

8. Kristyn posted on December 20, 2013 at 4:55 am (#)

Rolos are one of my favorites! Can’t wait to try. :)

9. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on December 20, 2013 at 6:44 am (#)

So, you added chocolate to snowball cookies. Wow. Why hasn’t that happened before? :) And then you stuffed more chocolate and caramel into the chocolate snowball … you are a cookie mad scientist. I cannot explain how much I like these. So pinned. I’m so glad our Internet is fixed; I’ve missed your blog! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 20th, 2013 at 6:56 am

No internet? OMG. I would die! Thanks so much for the pin!

10. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on December 20, 2013 at 6:56 am (#)

Whaaaaat! Oh my. These are brilliant! I love that you turned the cookie to chocolate, too. Chocolate goodness overload! That’s a good thing of course. ;)

11. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on December 20, 2013 at 7:02 am (#)

Yum! I wish I has some of these in my freezer as well!

12. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on December 20, 2013 at 9:04 am (#)

Definitely going to make a chocolate version of snowballs for Christmas this year after seeing these!

13. Tonia posted on December 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm (#)

Ahhhhh…great idea! My mom loves Russian Tea Balls. I like them but they seem a little dry to me so the Rolo is perfect!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 20th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

It adds a little something extra!

14. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on December 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm (#)

Rolos are one of those candies from childhood that I am glad are still around! These cookies look great! I appreciate how you give helpful hints about making them in addition to the recipe ins ructions! Very helpful!!! :)

15. Jamielyn Nye (@iheartnaptime) posted on December 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm (#)

These look so good! Perfect for Christmas!!

16. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on December 20, 2013 at 2:45 pm (#)

Its kind of funny. I saw the picture for this post and my first thought was that I would much rather have a reeses cup than a rolo in the middle. Then I start reading and I am like she is genius and already did this :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 20th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I love them both! :) Thanks Laura!

17. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on December 21, 2013 at 10:02 am (#)

These are too cute, Dorothy! You’re right, the Rolo is the icing on the cake! Pinned. Have a lovely weekend and a merry Christmas!

18. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on December 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm (#)

OMG, these look incredible!!! I just made snowball cookies and filled them with jam, but I totally should have done this instead!!!

19. Ashley posted on December 24, 2013 at 10:22 am (#)

So I just want to confirm something….if I use unsalted butter will I have to add another 1/4 teaspoon of salt? because the recipe already says to add 1/4 teaspoon of salt? Also do I have to use the parchment paper? Can’t I just use the cook sheet?

• Ashley replied on December 24th, 2013 at 10:52 am

Another question is what type of salt do I use?
      I am sorry to be asking so many questions I just want this cookie to taste delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 24th, 2013 at 11:21 am

It’s not required to add more salt, that’s just a guideline for subbing unsalted butter. I usually don’t even add any salt, but that’s just me! I don’t think 1/4 teaspoon extra will make that much of a difference, but if you’re a person who notices when salt is missing, add it. (Table salt, btw) And I like to use parchment and/or silpat baking mats because it reduces sticking and helps them to cook evenly. If you don’t have it you can skip it, but watch the bottoms closely that they don’t brown too much. I’m pretty sure my mom just bakes them straight on the cookie sheet. :) Enjoy!

20. Ashley posted on December 24, 2013 at 11:36 am (#)

Another question is what type of salt do I use for this cookie?

21. Pingback: Ice Cream Cupcakes - Crazy for Crust

22. Nadine posted on December 15, 2014 at 1:58 am (#)

Hi I just want to try this recipe. It took me ages to find rolls here in Switzerland but I finally did ;-P
    Anyway my question is what vanilla do I use, is it Vanilla sugar, Bourbon Vanilla, Vanilla extract or Vanilla bean?
    Thanks for the wonderful recipe can’t wait to try it out.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 16th, 2014 at 10:25 am

I use pure vanilla extract! But you can also use paste, if you can find it.