Aug 13

Famous Amos Copycat Chocolate Chip Cookie

Need a fun lunchbox cookie? These Famous Amos Copycat Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect for after lunch, or anytime!

Famous Amos Copycat Chocolate Chip Cookies | crazyforcrust.com | #cookie #chocolate #copycat

In college, I took night classes. For some reason computer science classes were required for a math major (um, I hate computers, thankyouverymuch) and most of the computer science classes were at night. So, I’d go to school in the morning, go to work, then come back to school at 6:00 for three fun hours of methods, CSS, and other things I’ll never remember.

Man, I should have paid more attention. Hindsight…

Since I was rushing from work, I never really had time for dinner. My dinner came out of a vending machine near the student lounge, and usually consisted of a Coke and a bag of Famous Amos Cookies.

Ever since I can remember, I’ve loved those cookies. Even in high school, whenever I brought money for lunch, I’d buy a bag of them. Or two, because there were only 5 cookies in a vending machine bag and 5 mini cookies is not a serving. 10 or 20 is a serving.

I still love those cookies. I don’t buy them anymore (you can only find large bags at the grocery store, and if I buy a large bag, I’ll eat it all in one sitting) and just mentioning the name makes my taste reflexes remember the flavor.

So, in honor of back to school week, I thought I’d make my own. A Famous Amos Copycat!

Now, normally I love big, gooey, soft chocolate chip cookies. As a general rule, I want my cookies almost raw in the middle. BUT…these cookies aren’t that.They’re small and crunchy.

But they’re supposed to be! It’s what makes them amazing.

Another note about this recipe, and someone I know will get a huge smile of satisfaction on her face for this next sentence (ahem):

They contain Crisco.

Normally I don’t use Crisco. I use butter, because butter is better. I like the flavor of butter, and even though I’ve always said there is nothing wrong with Crisco…it scares me a little. Like…what is it?

Anyway, the recipe I adapted these from used Crisco, and all the other recipes I researched used it too. So I bought a can. I’m sure you can sub butter for all the shortening in this recipe, if you prefer, but you’ll have to chill your dough. That’s one thing I now LOVE about shortening:

You don’t have to chill it!

You can whip up this dough and bake it right away. So if you want cookies NOW, not tomorrow, make this recipe.

These cookies are perfect for a lunchbox treat. I am a firm believer in a sweet treat after lunch, but it needs to be small. One Kiss or a couple M&Ms…or one little Famous Amos Copycat cookie!

Or, you know. You could eat these after lunch when you work from home. Not that I’d know about that.

These also taste sort of like those other mini chocolate chip cookies, the ones that come in the bag in the cookie aisle. Having just had those this past weekend, however, I can say that these are 100% better.

So, if you’re in the mood for a small, crunchy cookie, make these. And remember all those vending machine days!

I certainly did! Plus, this recipe makes a ton. Freeze them for all month!

Famous Amos Cookie Copycat

Yield: About 50 cookies

Famous Amos Cookie Copycat

Adapted from Group Recipes.

• 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened (half a stick)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat baking mats.
  2. Cream butter, shortening, and sugars together in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat in egg, vanilla, and milk. Beat in salt and baking soda. Stir in flour and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Scoop 1 tablespoon balls of dough (I use a small cookie scoop for this) and place onto cookie sheets. Press the dough lightly with the palm of your hand to flatten just a bit (about half the thickness of the ball). Bake for about 13 minutes, until the cookies are slightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to rack to cool completely. They will get crunchier as they cool.

Other fun lunchbox cookies:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marshmallow Pudding Cookies

chocolate pb pudding cookies4-1 words

Oatmeal Pudding Cookies

Oatmeal White Chocolate Pudding Cookies by www.crazyforcrust.com #cookie @crazyforcrust

Cookies from friends:
Dark Chocolate Butterfinger Cookies by Inside BruCrew Life
Ooey Gooey Butter S’mores Cookies by Something Swanky
Cool Whip Cookies by Yummy, Healthy Easy

Thanks for reading!

63 Responses to “Famous Amos Copycat Chocolate Chip Cookie”

1. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on August 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm (#)

Ohmygosh…it’s been awhile, but I remember Famous Amos cookies as being absolutely addicting!! Love this recipe for making my own :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Totally addicting!! Thanks Becca!

2. Emily ~SoDomesticated~ posted on August 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm (#)

I loved Famous Amos….. these cookies look amazing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Emily!!

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm (#)

Crisco gives cookies that ‘storebought’ taste. And I don’t mean it in a bad way. Once you use it, you will realize that hmmm, okay, now I know why certain cookies have a certain taste. I’m convinced it’s in part, due to shortening. I am like you, normally I love my gooey cookies. But have sentimental memories of Famous Amos growing up :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

*smacking head* of course! I never even thought about the “sameness” of storebought cookies before…I bet that’s it! You’re so smart. :)

4. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on August 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm (#)

omg how cute!!

5. BitsyBet posted on August 13, 2013 at 6:21 pm (#)

Don’t fear Crisco. I use half Crisco and half butter all the time in my chocolate chips. Try using the Crisco sticks. It’s much easier measuring than from the can. Putting your Famous Amos chocolate chip recipe on my list of recipes to try.

6. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on August 13, 2013 at 6:41 pm (#)

My parents used to always keep famous amos cookies in the cabinets when i was a kind. Man i haven’t had one in years! Need to make these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:48 am

Thanks Nancy! Enjoy!

7. Sarah Leslee posted on August 13, 2013 at 6:48 pm (#)

*Stands up to confess I find them absolutely irresistible as well.*

I really like the ones with pecans and a touch of coconut the best. The originals were made with margarine, if memory serves.

I recall my stepmother buying the real Famous Amos in tins when it was still a small company long before the current Kellogg’s product. I opened that tin in wonder of why anyone would want one of those hard nuggets of cookies. Hmm, hey, wait, these are pretty good. She won’t notice if I eat just one, or maybe ten.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:47 am

I don’t think I ever had the original, or the ones with pecans and coconut, but those kept coming up in searches. I need to try them, because OMG that sounds amazing!

8. Tieghan posted on August 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

I love copycat treats! These are so fun, Dorothy!

9. Jen @JuanitasCocina posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm (#)

OMG! I love famous amos cookies! It’s like they call to you from the vending machines. Now they can call to me and I can answer right away.

10. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:57 pm (#)

I love famous Amos! I would always buy a bag at my ballet studio to eat between classes, or when I was at work and forgot my lunch. They’re the only crunchy cookies I eat. I love that you made a copycat!

11. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 13, 2013 at 7:57 pm (#)

Oooooh.. for being the queen of packaged food, we never had famous amos growing up! However, I DO understand that love for those little crispy cookie nuggets. These look so good!

12. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on August 13, 2013 at 8:12 pm (#)

I’m with you…I usually prefer only super-soft cookies, but Famous Amos were always the exception. I’ve got to try these!

13. Cindy Harris posted on August 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm (#)

Famous Amos is the ONLY cookie I buy, and Girl Scout Cookies and Oreo s if I need it in a recipe. So Okay–i do buy a few cookies.
    These look like a cookie I must make now! I will share them with my sweet neighbor as her kids are getting ready to go back to school. My baby reminded me he is 25 in October–but he would still love these cookies. I am making them soon. thanks

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:47 am

Enjoy Cindy!!!

14. Amy posted on August 13, 2013 at 10:57 pm (#)

WHY do people think night classes are okay?? As a fellow morning person, I hated those classes. Getting up at 5:30 am for a morning class and going back to campus for a 7 pm class was NOT my idea of fun!

And we always got a treat after lunches too! Ours were usually a Little Debbie snack cake or a homemade chocolate chip cookie. Love your idea of doing a cookie copy cat — Jordan is going to be the most popular kid at her lunch recess!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:45 am

LOL, I know. Then I’d get home so late and have to get up for classes or work the next day! It was annoying. :)

• Amy replied on August 15th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I hear ya! One quarter, I had a 7-10 pm chemistry lab, and the lecture started at 7:30 am the next morning. SO glad those days are over!

15. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talen posted on August 14, 2013 at 5:07 am (#)

I love famous Amos cookies. I associate them w college and vacation :)

16. tanya posted on August 14, 2013 at 5:15 am (#)

I still get a wee bit excited when I get a little package of Famous Amos cookies! They were a big treat when I was a kid! Love your homemade copy cat version, Dorothy!

17. Jaime Boudreaux posted on August 14, 2013 at 5:44 am (#)

I’ll definitely have to try these! :) I only went to college for 3 semesters (a million years ago), but you brought me back there with this recipe. I, too had a coke and a bag of Famous Amos every day in between classes.

18. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on August 14, 2013 at 5:48 am (#)

Famous Amos is the only cookie I like that isn’t super big or super soft. That is saying something! These look so much like the real thing. I do use Crisco, but I didn’t realize recipes that you don’t have to chill those. Who knew?

19. Chelsea posted on August 14, 2013 at 7:10 am (#)

Can’t wait to try these!

20. Amanda @thetastetester posted on August 14, 2013 at 7:16 am (#)

I LOVE small, crunchy famous Amos cookies. I used to hoard bags of them under my bed when I was a kid! This recipe could be dangerous…

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:44 am

VERY dangerous… :)

21. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on August 14, 2013 at 7:36 am (#)

I was always weird about Crisco too – I usually do half and half to get some of that fabulous butter taste! But, shortening has some magical effect on cookies, for sure! These look like crispy little nuggets of deliciousness! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:44 am

Thanks Jennifer!

22. Ashley posted on August 14, 2013 at 7:36 am (#)

My mom used to always pack us Famous Amos cookies as a lunchbox treat once in a while. I absolutely loved them. Gah, these would bring back so many memories! I love it : )

23. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on August 14, 2013 at 8:20 am (#)

What a fun copycat recipe! It’s been so long since I’ve had a Famous Amos cookie!

24. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on August 14, 2013 at 9:59 am (#)

My kids love getting a little Famous Amos packet in their lunch bag. But homemade is always better!

25. Vera posted on August 14, 2013 at 10:40 am (#)

My favourite cookies: Chocolate Chip Cookies !!
    Can I please have one?
    I would love to learn how to make it . Home made cookies is the Best !!

26. Tahnycooks posted on August 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm (#)

The perfect homemade lunch box treat! Thanks, Dorothy! Great timing for all of us parents!

27. Melissa posted on August 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm (#)

What a blast from the past! I came home and decided to make some (and I’m eating one right now). Thanks for the fun recipe- I think I made mine a bit too big- but besides that there is a likeness. Yum! Thanks Dorothy :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:41 am

I’m glad!! Thanks Melissa!

28. Emily @ Life on Food posted on August 15, 2013 at 5:51 am (#)

Crisco scares me a bit but I do love these cookies. They were always a special treat growing up.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 15th, 2013 at 7:40 am

I know, I have such a block against Crisco. But they tasted great, and you could use butter, they just need to be chilled first!

• Avril replied on May 10th, 2014 at 12:27 am

Hi, just wondering, if I used butter, how long do I need to chill the dough? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 10th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I would chill it for at least an hour Avril! Or you could scoop out the cookie dough balls and place them on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and chill them for less time, probably 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!

29. Alex posted on August 15, 2013 at 7:42 am (#)

We used to get these at Costco! I loved them growing up! I just recently noticed them in the store and was so tempted to buy them! Looks like I’ll just make them myself! My vending machine meal of choice used to be a Hostess Cherry pie and a diet coke, you know, to save calories!

30. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on August 15, 2013 at 10:10 am (#)

Did you know that Wally Amos lives on my island? When I was a kid, there’d always be commercials for Famous Amos cookies. They try to pass them off as Hawaiian, even though they’re made on the mainland. I love them. I’ll have to get a bag on my way to work now.

31. Pingback: 50 Back to School Ideas from Breakfast to Snack - Crazy for Crust

32. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on August 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm (#)

I am so glad you got over your fear of the “white stuff”. I almost always like to use half butter and half crisco in my cookies and frostings. Usually I like the chewy almost raw cookies too, but sometimes you just need a crunchy chocolate chip cookie! Love these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 19th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Ha! Thanks Jocelyn! :)

33. stephanie posted on August 24, 2013 at 8:22 pm (#)

i am definitely going to try these….as soon as tomorrow, even…i have a classroom full of kids to give goodbye goodie bags to as my child goes leaves for kindergarten (sniff..) so hopefully I don’t screw them up! (world’s most awful baker here…but i keep trying)

fun fact: Famous Amos are actually quite a “luxury” type cookie where i come from (Southeast asia)…they have stands in malls where they will freshly bake it, so you can smell the cookies baking as you walk past (best marketing trick, i think)…and they are sold by weight, rather than pre-packaged grocery store aisle type deal. The choc chip and pecans are a staple, and their oatmeal raisins are fantastic too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 25th, 2013 at 7:57 am

I’ve never had the oatmeal raisin ones, and fresh baked? I’m sort of jealous! :) Enjoy them, and you can’t screw these up, I promise!

34. Pingback: Triple Chip Cookies - Shugary Sweets

35. Carol posted on September 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy,
    I tried your Famous Amos copycat recipe today and everyone who tasted it said that it was not sweet enough. I compared the recipe to other chocolate chip recipes and it looks like there is too much flour for the amount of fat. Should the flour be one cup instead of two?
    Thanks, Carol

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:44 am

I’m sorry they weren’t sweet enough Carol! I used 2 cups of flour, as adapted from the recipe I used. Next time, I think you could add another 1/4 cup sugar if you wish, or more chocolate chips! :)

36. CC posted on October 25, 2013 at 10:06 am (#)

Hi, im wondering if these cookies spread when they’re baking?

Thanks!

37. fænn posted on January 21, 2014 at 10:57 pm (#)

I’ve just tried this recipe. I love that the cookies only have a hint of sweetness, instead of being typically, overly sweet. And they held their shapes pretty well.
    I made these into small cookies and baked them for 13 min to make them crunchy. When I made them into bigger size with a ice cream scoop and baked for the same amount of time, they were crispy on the outside but rather cakey inside. So I guess size and baking time both matter here. Also, unfortunately, neither felt like famous amos.

38. Pingback: A new hobby for new year

39. Pingback: Almost Famous Amos Recepi

40. Pingback: How To Make The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie - SelectAware.com Savings Blog

41. Femdom Tube posted on March 22, 2014 at 4:17 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about famous amos.
    Regards

42. Chloe posted on April 15, 2014 at 8:15 am (#)

Wow I made them today… and they were the best cookies I have ever baked!!! So impressed! Thank you for the recipe (:

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 15th, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad you enjoyed them!

43. aini posted on August 5, 2014 at 1:48 am (#)

I tried this and everyonw loves it.. it so light and crunchy

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2014 at 6:29 am

I’m so glad!! Thanks for telling me!

44. Greenpeas posted on August 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm (#)

Sorry, little confused; to get the tiny cookies, was that the tablespoon amount of dough for 13 minutes? Or would you say a teaspoon of dough for 13 minutes? Also, do you know how much your flour weighs per cup, as it seems to vary between 125g (poured into cup) to 150g (cup scooped through flour). Being from the UK I work in grams or oz and really want to get this right!