Aug 28

Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream

This Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream is the perfect pick-me-up on a hot day! Made without an ice cream machine, it’s infused with coffee and swirled with Nutella!

Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream | crazyforcrust.com | Made with NO ice cream machine! #icecream #coffee #nutella

Seriously, why is it so hard for kids to take a shower or bath? Is being under hot water really torture? Is being dirty and smelly enjoyable?

Here is an episode we had last night:

Me: Time for a shower!

Jordan: Can I do a wash up?

Me: Nope! Take a shower. And wash, okay?

Jordan (pouting): Fiiiiiiine.

[Shower runs. Less than 5 minutes later she's downstairs in PJs.]

Me: Did you even wash? That wasn’t long enough.

Jordan: Yes

[I go up and check the soap, the telltale sign she's lying.]

Me: The soap is dry. You didn’t wash. Go back and take another shower.

Jordan: Can I take a wash up?

[My head explodes.]

I mean really. It’s not like bathing isn’t fun. I look forward to my shower every day and my bath every night.

{Yes, I am that person. I take a bath at night and read and unplug, except for when I don’t and check Facebook on my Kindle. FYI: Gallon sized bags make your Kindle splashproof.}

I look forward to bathing as much as I look forward to coffee. And we all know how much I love my coffee!

Awhile back I got a request on Facebook for coffee ice cream. Well, of course, I said to myself. Then I can have ice cream for breakfast.

This ice cream is “easy” meaning there is no machine needed. I have an ice cream machine. It’s been in the freezer for 2.5 years, since I first discovered the easy method.

Sweetened condensed milk + Cool Whip = ice cream. Even better, I use fat-free versions of both. {You can use whipped cream in place of Cool Whip, I’m just too lazy to actually whip cream and clean the bowls.}

This version adds very strong coffee to the mixture. I brewed some instant in a small amount of water. I always have those Via packs on hand for coffee emergencies. Or, you know, when I travel. Because everyone travels with coffee, splenda, and creamer packets, right?

Then, well. Nutella. I swirled it through before freezing. It creates a thick fudgy ribbon of amazingness throughout the ice cream.

I love this flavor of easy ice cream! You’ll love it too.

More than Jordan loves showering, but less than she loves lying to me, I’ll bet. ;)

Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream

Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream

• 1 packet instant coffee (I use Starbucks Via) or about 1/2 tablespoon from a jar
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (I use fat-free)
  • 12 ounces (about 1 1/2 tubs) Cool Whip (I use fat-free)*
  • 1/2 cup Nutella

1. Mix instant coffee into 1/4 cup hot water. Stir and let sit to cool for 10 minutes.
  2. Stir coffee mixture and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. (I like using a large Tupperware bowl, so it can be frozen in the same bowl.) Fold in Cool Whip.
  3. Place Nutella in a small bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to thin it out. Pour slowly into ice cream mixture while folding. You don’t want to completely mix it in, you just want rivers of it flowing through the ice cream.
  4. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight until it becomes ice cream consistency.

Notes

*You can substitute freshly whipped cream for the Cool Whip. Whip 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form, and use all of it in place of the Cool Whip.

Cookies ‘n Mint Easy Ice Cream

cookies and mint ice cream (3 of 6)w

Easy Peanut Butter Cheesecake Ice Cream

peanut-butter-cheesecake-ice-cream (3 of 5)w

Easy Caramel Sauce by Something Swanky
Oreo Fudge Cappuccino Ice Cream by Inside BruCrew Life
Honey Ricotta Ice Cream by Wonky Wonderful

68 Responses to “Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream”

1. Mom posted on August 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm (#)

Looks great…YUM! Try letting Jordan go without a shower or washing up for about 3 days and see if she wants a shower. NOTE: be sure to do this just before laundry day when you plan to wash her sheets!
    Love,
    Mom

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Knowing her she wouldn’t care!! ;)

2. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on August 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm (#)

I am so going to make this over the weekend! Looks great! Oh and my 11 yr old doesn’t care much about hygiene. I tried letting her go without a shower and finally I intervened at day 4!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

WOW. I don’t know if I could let her go without. I’ll have to try that. Maybe, ha! Thanks Nancy!

3. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on August 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm (#)

MMM i want this ice cream now! I am not going to lie more times than not I am the person who cannot be bothered to shower, I hate it! LOL… oh and fyi I do shower everyday.. I just hate it! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I just hate the whining. It’s the worst!!

Thanks Elizabeth!

5. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on August 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm (#)

It is so true. Kids look at showering as a chore and we look at it as a moment of piece and quiet to ourselves. I am so sold on this after seeing you used fat-free condensed milk and cool whip – I gotta try it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Enjoy Jenn!! Thanks!

6. Emily @ Life on Food posted on August 28, 2013 at 4:14 pm (#)

Could have used a bowl of this at 3pm today!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Ha, me too. Every day!

7. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on August 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm (#)

My mom tells me that I was like that about bathing too. I’d argue that swimming totally counted as a means of cleansing myself. She didn’t buy it :)

I love easy ice cream recipes (I’ve posted two this month!), and this one sound totally delicious! You had me at Nutella :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

LOL! Jordan says that too!

8. Ty posted on August 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm (#)

I just want to make sure I am “reading between the lines” correctly with the coffee…..I make a cup of coffee as per package directions? Or if not, how much hot water do I use?
    Thanks, really anxious to try this recipe….sounds so delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Thank you for catching that Ty! Somewhere I lost the water amount *slaps head in frustration of self*. It’s 1/4 cup hot water for the coffee. That way it’s really concentrated, and not too much liquid to affect the ice cream. The recipe has been edited now!

9. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on August 28, 2013 at 5:47 pm (#)

This sounds amazing! I love the combination of Nutella and coffee… it’s almost like a Nutella latte ice cream!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 28th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Totally!! Thanks Faith!

10. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on August 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm (#)

Yeah, SO happy you don’t consider ice cream season over! Especially when it means I can call this my cup of coffee in the morning:)

11. Tieghan posted on August 28, 2013 at 6:54 pm (#)

I have always loved showers!! I never had to be told to take one, but my brothers? Different story! Jordan sounds just like them! LOL!

Ok, this ice cream is amazing!! Nutella swirl?!?! I want!! Ice cream is an all season thing! It is too good to not have all year round!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:43 am

Thank you Tieghan! I know, the Nutella was one rare strike of brilliance. ;)

12. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on August 28, 2013 at 6:56 pm (#)

You come up with the best flavors! I need to try this one soon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:43 am

Thanks Jennifer!!

13. Tahnycooks posted on August 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm (#)

I think my favorite thing about this ice cream is, how easy the recipe it!!! This is so easy and quick!!! Keeper for sure!! Pinning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:43 am

Thanks so much for the pin!!

14. Chris posted on August 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm (#)

Dorothy,
    Wow, we are definitely making this our Labor day special dessert! Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I can totally relate to the bathtime battle…ugh. And, I do the same check to see if the toothbrush is wet! I’ve caught one too many cheaters with that one…. ha ha.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:41 am

Ha, we still brush her teeth at night. At 8 years old! I’m scared not too. We must get away from doing it for her, but I don’t trust her because of her braces!

15. annette posted on August 28, 2013 at 7:50 pm (#)

Ice cream is my favorite, nightly dessert. Does this combination really taste like ice cream? The consistency looks good in the pics but it just seems, well, too easy!? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:41 am

It’s a little thicker than ice cream (but if you use heavy cream it’s a more regular texture). I love the thick and creaminess of this ice cream, because it tastes like full-fat indulgence when it’s not!

16. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl posted on August 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm (#)

Ok so I’m totally sold on this ice cream! I want it by the gallon! :)

I don’t have a bath tub…. I haven’t had one in almost 10 years.. so I miss the idea of baths and reading and music and relaxing! It’s always a shower for me at night, quickly finish up anything I have to do and then straight to bed to read.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:39 am

That was a requirement when we moved: that I have a tub. It’s like therapy for me, if I skip too many nights I get cranky!

17. alex posted on August 28, 2013 at 10:09 pm (#)

just like, why do kids fight sleep? one of the most wonderful things in the world!
    please do not post anymore easy and tasty recipes okay? I”m just going to make them all…and not share!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:38 am

Oh I know!! Right? Weird. And LOL, sorry. :)

18. Sara posted on August 28, 2013 at 11:59 pm (#)

Hi. Recipe sounds delicious! Any idea what I can substitute for the sweetened condensed milk?Thanks

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:37 am

Hmmmm, that I’m not sure. I’ve never made this method without it. You may have to go with a more traditional ice cream making method if you want to skip the SCM. Let me know if you figure something out!

19. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on August 29, 2013 at 12:49 am (#)

Wow, Dorothy, this is such a cool combination of ingredients! Coffee and Nutella swirled together in this delicious summer very creamy ice cream! Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:36 am

Thanks Julia!

20. ThisBakerGirlBlogs posted on August 29, 2013 at 1:16 am (#)

Coffee and nutella? Two staple parts of my diet that I can’t go without! Love this and even better that I don’t need an ice cream maker :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:36 am

Totally! That’s why I love this method SO much!

21. Ashley posted on August 29, 2013 at 3:59 am (#)

I can’t imagine not liking to shower!! haha I like showering each day … it’s the blow drying hair that I could live without : ) This ice cream sounds great – I love coffee ice cream and a nutella swirl is always a good thing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:35 am

OMG yes. Hair. I hate it! It’s so hot here I’ve been skipping and then I look like I stuck my finger in a light socket. :)

22. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 29, 2013 at 4:38 am (#)

This ice cream. Whoa, totally me. I could get lost in it. You come up with the best flavors Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:35 am

Aw, thanks Sally!

23. tanya posted on August 29, 2013 at 6:05 am (#)

Ah yes, the shower. No one wants to take one here either. I don’t get it. I’m in there for a good 20 minutes, I love it! My kids get in there after much fighting but then they stand in there and not wash at all. At least Jordan is conserving water?? Coffee and Nutella in ice cream, might be the best idea ever!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:35 am

LOL, I’ll look at it that way. :) Thanks Tanya!

24. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on August 29, 2013 at 7:51 am (#)

I will never understand wanting to skip a shower … it wakes me up in the morning … after the coffee, LOL. The ice cream flavors sound wonderful … I need a trip to store to buy Cool Whip ;)

25. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 29, 2013 at 8:31 am (#)

Oh yea, I’m in love. Coffee and nutella? Count me in!

26. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on August 29, 2013 at 9:49 am (#)

I would like to replace my morning coffee with this coffee nutella ice cream.

27. Annie @ Annie's Noms posted on August 29, 2013 at 10:01 am (#)

Absolutely loving this!! And I’m so glad no ice cream maker is required as I stilllllll don’t have one!! It’s been on my Amazon wishlist for so long, yet I still haven’t got round to it. Although I recently made my first ice cream with whipped cream and condensed milk and it was blissful, so maybe I don’t need it so much…

28. Genell {Nel's Nook} posted on August 29, 2013 at 12:49 pm (#)

You sound like you love coffee as much as I do! :) This ice cream looks heavenly and I LOVE that it doesn’t require an ice cream maker!

29. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on August 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

I totally travel with instant coffee packs. It’s why we’re friends. This looks awesome, Dorothy! I love your ice cream creations!!

30. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on August 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm (#)

You are speaking my language with this ice cream.

Also, I have to admit that I am secretly glad to hear this story about Jordan. We’ve been having trouble at bath time, too, and it’s about to drive.me.crazy. So I’m at least glad to know my kiddo is (semi?) normal. Except we find him in the shower scrubbing down the walls with his loofah, but absolutely no soap anywhere on his entire body. Sigh.

31. Toodie posted on August 29, 2013 at 8:59 pm (#)

I’m pretty sure this is my ticket to heaven. Oh. My. Goodness! I cannot wait to make this!

32. Kathy posted on August 30, 2013 at 8:13 am (#)

Nutella, coffee and ice cream! What an awesome combo!

33. Amy posted on August 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm (#)

You had me at Nutella. And then with the condensed milk + cool whip trick? I’m seriously contemplating running — no, sprinting — to the store so I can do this myself! (Unless you still have some lying around in your freezer?… ;) )

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 31st, 2013 at 7:12 am

I actually still do. Come on over! :)

• Amy replied on September 2nd, 2013 at 12:53 pm

YES!!! Best day ever!! I’m on my way. ;)

34. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on August 31, 2013 at 11:41 am (#)

Lol. I’m an adult and I’m that way about brushing my teeth. I’ve always hated doing it. Usually because I’m so tired and lazy at the end of the night that I can’t bare spending five minutes on my feet taking care of my dental hygiene. I’ve been holding off on buying an ice cream machine cause I have zero storage space in my apartment so I was ecstatic to discovery this easy two-ingredient version. Coffee and nutella is a fab combo, Dorothy! Your ice cream looks amazing (I may or may not be licking my screen right now).

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 1st, 2013 at 3:26 pm

LOL, I’m like that about flossing. So. Annoying. :) Thanks Nancy!

35. Ala posted on September 1, 2013 at 11:36 am (#)

It’s like you knew my coffee-loving mom needed a sweet treat this weekend–this will be the perfect surprise. I may have to sub hot fudge swirls and I’m thinking of adding some nuts, but this is fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 1st, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Nuts would be fantastic! Enjoy Ala!

36. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on September 2, 2013 at 6:29 pm (#)

Ice cream perfection! Love it Dorothy!

37. Pingback: No Machine Caramel Swirl Ice Cream | wine & glue

38. Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life posted on September 4, 2013 at 11:11 pm (#)

Haha, I completely understand the shower ordeal, and I just DON’T GET IT EITHER! I love my hot shower. Kids are just strange little creatures sometimes ;) And this ice cream-swoon worthy!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 5th, 2013 at 7:00 am

Glad I’m not alone! Thanks Jocelyn!

39. Pingback: More Than 50 Nutella Recipes! | wine & glue

40. Pingback: Sopapilla Cheesecake Ice Cream - Crazy for Crust

41. sabeen posted on May 13, 2014 at 1:17 am (#)

Hi,
    I tried it , the result was perfect , thanks for easiest recipe. My family loved it so much.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2014 at 6:47 am

I’m so glad, thanks sabeen!