Jul 23

Grilled Pizza: Pesto, Avocado & Corn and Cookie Dough

Thanks to Pillsbury, I was able to perfect the art of Grilled Pizza and make you two versions: Pesto, Avocado, & Corn Pizza and a dessert Cookie Dough Pizza!

Grilled Pizza: Pesto, Avocado, and Corn and a Cookie Doug Pizza for Dessert! crazyforcrust.com #grilledpizza #pillsbury

My most favorite dinner (or lunch or snack or sometimes, yes, breakfast) is pizza. I could eat it every day and never, ever get sick of it.

When I was a kid, back in the days before you made your own pizza at home, we ordered pizza from my favorite restaurant every Friday. It got to the point that all my mom had to do was tell the guy on the phone her name, and he knew what pizza to make.

Nowadays we make our own pizza more than we order in. I can control the ingredients and it’s so much more affordable than buying it from a restaurant. That way I can convince myself that it’s okay to have it every week (or more).

One thing I don’t like about pizza in summer is heating up the oven. It’s 100 degrees outside and 80 in my kitchen, so the last thing I want to do is bake. But there is a way to avoid the oven and still have pizza as often as you want: by grilling it.

Have you ever made grilled pizza? We do it all the time in summer. It’s really very easy to do and I think I like the taste of it better than an oven pizza. It’s fast too – dinner can be on the table in less than 20 minutes. A total win in my book!

The easiest way to make grilled pizza at home is to use a pre-made dough. Pillsbury Pizza Crust is my favorite – it always tastes fresh and is the perfect thickness and consistency for grilling.

Grilling pizza at home is totally doable. Let me put it this way: before I made these pizzas, I’d never done it before. Sure, I’d watched my husband do it. But I’ve never touched the BBQ before…ever. So yeah – you can totally do this.

First step, gather all your ingredients. You want them to be ready to go before you start grilling. I made a Pesto, Avocado, & Corn Pizza, a cheese pizza for the kids, and a Cookie Dough Pizza for dessert!

Place each pizza crust on its own sheet of foil sprayed with cooking spray. I made one regular sized crust, and the ones in back are two halves of one Pillsbury Pizza Crust. The kids got the large one for their cheese pizza. I didn’t need a large one for mine!

Preheat your grill to medium-low and spray it with cooking spray (or oil it however you like). Turn the foil crust side down onto the grill and peel the foil off. Let the dough cook for a few minutes. You’ll notice the grill marks on the bottom get a dark brown just as the crust begins to slightly bubble.

When that happens, flip the crusts over and grill on the other side. for just a minute or two. Once that’s done, remove them to a cookie sheet and add your toppings. I like to add my toppings to whatever side is darkest, that way the side of the crust with the lightest grill marks gets cooked more.

Carefully place your crust back on the grill and then close the lid. It cooks in just a minute or two – remove when the cheese melts (or the chocolate, for the dessert pizza).

Remove the pizzas to a cookie sheet, slice, and serve. Dinner and dessert in less than 20 minutes. How’s that for a quick summertime supper?

I must say, pesto sauce + monterey jack cheese + corn + avocado is my new favorite pizza. It is the absolute best! I ate way too much of it all by myself.

{And, I think that I was channeling my friend Tieghan when I thought of this combo. When I googled it after I made it, her version came up. Great minds think alike!}

And, well. You know me. This post wouldn’t be complete without dessert!

For this dessert pizza I used Pillsbury Peanut Butter Cookie Dough and chocolate chips. I spread chunks of cookie dough around the crust, sprinkled it with the chocolate chips and grilled it until the chocolate was melty and the cookie dough was gooey. I swirled it with a knife and OMG.

To. Die. For.

Dessert pizza rocks. Just sayin’.

And so does grilled pizza in general. #itsthebomb

What’s your favorite grilled pizza?

Grilled Pizza: Pesto, Avocado & Corn and Peanut Butter Cookie Dough

Grilled Pizza: Pesto, Avocado & Corn and Peanut Butter Cookie Dough

For the Pesto, Corn & Avocado Pizza
  • 1 Pillsbury Pizza Crust
  • Pest sauce, homemade or jarred
  • 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
  • 2 ears corn (or 2 cups), cooked
  • 1 small avocado, diced
  • For the Cookie Dough Pizza
  • 1 Pillsbury Pizza Crust
  • 2/3 roll refrigerated cookie dough, diced (I used peanut butter)
  • 2 cups chocolate chips

1. Preheat grill on medium-low heat. Let it heat up for about 5 minutes.
  2. Gather all your ingredients and keep them near you while getting ready to cook.
  3. Unroll a length of foil that will fit the pizza crust. Spray it with cooking spray. Unroll your crust and place it on the foil.
  4. Turn the foil upside down (carefully!) on the hot grill. Remove foil. Let the crust cook for a few minutes, until the top of the crust just starts to bubble.
  5. Using a BBQ safe spatula, carefully flip the crust over and cook for about 2 minutes.
  6. For the Pesto, Corn & Avocado Pizza:
  7. Remove the crust from the BBQ to a cookie sheet. Spread pesto on the crust, top with cheese, corn, and avocado.
  8. Carefully transfer the pizza back to the grill. Close the lid of the BBQ and cook for just a few minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove carefully from heat and serve.
  9. For the Cookie Dough Pizza
  10. Remove the crust from the BBQ to a cookie sheet. Sprinkle diced cookie dough and chocolate chips around the crust.
  11. Carefully transfer the pizza back to the grill. Close the lid of the BBQ and cook for just a few minutes, or until chocolate looks melty. Remove carefully from heat and serve.

Notes

Note: the photos in the recipe show half-sized pizzas. I’ve written the recipes for full-sized pizzas.

Pillsbury LogoWith summer here, Pillsbury knows you and your family want to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible. So at your next BBQ, why not grill pizza for a family fun night. Go to http://www.pillsbury.com/Cooking-Occasions/Occasions/Outdoor-Eating/How-to-Grill-Pizza

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by General Mills via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of General Mills.

52 Responses to “Grilled Pizza: Pesto, Avocado & Corn and Cookie Dough”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 23, 2013 at 2:06 am (#)

Grilled cookie dough pizza. YES! With PB + choc. I am so into this!

2. Emily @ Life on Food posted on July 23, 2013 at 3:31 am (#)

I haven’t mastered the grilling part of grilled pizza. I really need to tackle this challenge before it is cold again.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:46 pm

While I love using my own pizza dough, I must say that the Pillsbury dough was SO MUCH EASIER to grill. It was think and just the right texture so it flipped so easy. If you haven’t tried using it for grilling, give it a go. It’ll be way easier than other doughs!!

3. tanya posted on July 23, 2013 at 5:25 am (#)

I love pizza on the grill! That dessert pizza is awesome Dorothy!

4. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on July 23, 2013 at 6:03 am (#)

I’ve had the idea for a grilled breakfast pizza floating around in my head for weeks, but I’ve been terrified to use the grill! Pesto, monterey jack, and avocado sounds amazing and I want to make a pizza with those flavors now!

5. Tieghan posted on July 23, 2013 at 6:13 am (#)

Holy moly!! cookie dough pizza?? That is insane….
    In the best way possible! What a genius idea. They both look delicious!

• Tieghan replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Oh and yes, the pesto, corn and avocado pizza is so me!! Our minds really do think alike!! Thanks for including my link!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2013 at 7:07 am

You’re welcome! And thanks Tieghan!

6. Julia @ hungryandconfused posted on July 23, 2013 at 6:39 am (#)

This looks delicious. Anything with avocado is alright by me…now I just have to convince my boyfriend to eat corn!! And as for the cookie dough pizza – my mouth is watering!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:49 pm

He doesn’t eat corn? OMG! ;) Thanks Julia!

7. Ashley posted on July 23, 2013 at 7:11 am (#)

YUM, grilled pizza sounds delicious! My family would devour this. I wish we could have a grill, but no go while living in nyc. It’s part of my suburban fantasy. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I can’t imagine, even though I never do the grilling! An oven version would be amazing as well!

8. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on July 23, 2013 at 10:57 am (#)

I’ve never tried grilling pizza, but you are seriously tempting me with these! Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:48 pm

It’s SO good. I think I like it better than regular!

9. jackie posted on July 23, 2013 at 2:28 pm (#)

Note to self: Do NOT read Dorothy’s yummy blog when hungry and on a diet!

(oh wow that pizza sounds delicious!!!)

10. Julie posted on July 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm (#)
  11. Julie posted on July 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm (#)

Haha, sorry about the “B” comment. I was trying to backspace and somehow hit submit!

This is my kind of pizza! I love avocado! Pinned!

Now I can’t eat pizza everyday but my boyfriend sure can. He could live off of pizza!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Julie! I love avocado too. OMG!

12. Robin posted on July 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm (#)

Oh my!!!!! Cookie, pizza, chocolate and peanutbutter????? All of my favorites in one! I am so excited to try both recipes, but the dessert is screaming my name! Thanks!! :)

13. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm (#)

*gulp* I’m sure that savory pizza is awesome but… I just…cannot take my eyes off the heavenly cookie dough pizzaaaaa omyyyyyyyyyy

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:25 pm

LOL, thanks Kayle. It was TOO GOOD.

14. Jocelyn@BruCrew Life posted on July 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm (#)

Ohmygoodness, I want some of both of these!! Love the veggie pizza combo!

15. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on July 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm (#)

Last time I was in Australia we had dessert pizza numerous times for dessert, and now I am kicking myself why I haven’t just made my own. You make it look too easy!! Ps. the pesto?! Hello AMAZINGG on pizzA!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2013 at 7:07 am

YES. I heart pesto SO much!

16. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on July 23, 2013 at 9:03 pm (#)

Pizza any way for me please! These look divine!

17. Julie posted on July 24, 2013 at 2:54 am (#)

Grilled….pizza….chocolate…peanut butter…cookie dough…you definitely just hit on all of my favorite words:) Can’t wait to try this! Pinned!

18. Tahnycooks posted on July 24, 2013 at 4:47 am (#)

Everything on the grill is better! I love corn and avocado together! Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2013 at 7:06 am

Me too, but then again I like avocado…and everything. :)

19. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on July 24, 2013 at 5:11 am (#)

OMG this looks so good. I need the cookie dough pizza in my life ASAP!

20. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on July 24, 2013 at 6:08 am (#)

Grilled pizza!? How fun! I love not having to turn on my oven these days – pregnancy and a raging summer don’t mix! ;)

Your savory pizza looks delicious, but I can’t stop thinking about a peanut butter cookie dough pizza!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2013 at 7:05 am

No they don’t!! Thanks Jennifer!

21. Heather @ French Press posted on July 24, 2013 at 11:57 am (#)

we love grilling pizza, but I NEVER wold have thought to do a cookie dough pizza, that is pure deliciousness

22. Kathy posted on July 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm (#)

My husband and I love grilled pizza but my kids don’t care for it much so we don’t eat it. Maybe one day. This version sounds fabulous!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2013 at 7:03 am

Bummer! But I bet they’d eat the cookie dough one, lol. ;)

23. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on July 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm (#)

My hubby is the grill master at our house … he will jump for joy over both of these recipes! I will jump too, because he will do the cooking :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 25th, 2013 at 7:02 am

That’s how I normally feel about BBQ! Thanks Brenda!

24. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on July 25, 2013 at 2:05 pm (#)

Yum! I am totally craving both of these now!

25. Amy posted on July 25, 2013 at 8:32 pm (#)

I actually just grilled pizza for the first time 2 weeks ago!! We forgot about grilling each side of the pizza dough first, so we just piled on the toppings (mozzarella, homegrown tomatoes + basil, artichoke hearts, and garlic) and threw it on the grill. It was also my first time using a BBQ — I had a BLAST!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 26th, 2013 at 11:38 am

SO yummy! Welcome to the grilling side. :)

26. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm (#)

I love love love pizza on the grill!! We do it just a tiny bit differently, but it is absolutely delicious (way better than the oven) and you are right, so super fast!! Love these recipes so I pinned the crap out of them :)

27. Pingback: 100 Ways to Eat Cookie Dough - JavaCupcake