Jul 30

Easy Lemon Cream Danish

This Easy Lemon Cream Danish is the perfect breakfast! These are done in minutes using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, perfect for on the go.

Easy Lemon Cream Danish by crazyforcrust.com | Comes together in minutes! #breakfast

Last Saturday night we took Jordan to her first concert: Zendaya at the state fair. She was SO excited, because Shake it Up is her favorite show.

I must say, attending a tween concert at a state fair is very…interesting. You have all the girls and piercing screams, of course. That’s to be expected. So is the obligatory adult with each pack of girls. And then you have those adults. The ones that are a little too into a concert sung by a 16-year-old with band members mostly younger than her.

Really, if you’re over the age of 25 and have a pack of tween girls with you, then (1) you are too old to wear a tube top and daisy dukes, (2) you really should cut down on the beer you get at the beer garden beforehand and (3) standing on your chair is not appropriate.

Also, if you happen to be watching from the bar next to the grandstand, and I rush by you on my (third) trip to the potty with a tween, I will blog about you if you’re totally rocking out Madonna style, eyes closed, with your (I assume) 5th very full glass of red wine. I mean…I know it’s a state fair. But it’s a kids concert. The combination of so much alcohol and kids was strange for me.

{No judgement, though. I get it, really. I enjoyed my five glasses of wine…after I was home. I needed it, to clear the ringing in my ears. Or something.}

After a late night, we needed a yummy breakfast.

These Easy Lemon Cream Danishes are the perfect wow breakfast…but they are super easy to make. Perfect for when you can barely open your eyes because the kids woke up at 5:30…after going to bed at 11.

These danish are so easy to make because they are made using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. I have a slight addiction to those tubes of crescents. I buy them way too much, and eat them way too often! They just make everything easier.

Let’s break down these danishes, shall we?

The base is the crescent roll. You unroll the rectangle and pinch together the seams, then cut 8 squares out of it.

The roll is topped with a creamy mixture of Greek Yogurt (vanilla nonfat is what I had, use what you like!) and a little sugar for sweetness.

Then I added some lemon curd on top…because they’re lemon danish.

Now, let’s talk lemon curd. You can use a jarred curd for this recipe, if you’d prefer. That would certainly be faster and more convenient. But if you have the time, and the lemons, you should totally try making it from scratch. It’s not that hard to do, and it’s really, really good.

I have a lemon curd recipe that I made last year, that’s a traditional curd recipe, using eggs. But I was running low on eggs last weekend, with lots of baking to do. So I made an eggless lemon curd instead. The recipe for the eggless curd is from my friend Keri at Shaken Together. It’s really good, not as smooth as an egg-based curd, but it’s butter and egg free. That means I can eat more!

{That’s a good thing – I can knock back 3 of these danishes without blinking.}

The lemon curd gets layered on top the cream layer, the crescent rolls get folded up around the filling, and then they get baked. The perfect lemon danish!

Oh, and one more thing: glaze. Danishes must have some sort of glaze! I was making muffins (recipe soon!) at the same time, with a white chocolate glaze. The glaze made a lot, so I used it for both recipes. It’s a white chocolate ganache drizzled over the top of the danishes.

Yes, I said white chocolate ganache. On a lemon danish. Oh, yeah! It’s the triple threat danish.

These are the perfect easy breakfast for those “I need a danish day.” Or the “My ears are still ringing” day. Or…any day!

Easy Lemon Cream Danish

Easy Lemon Cream Danish

These easy lemon cream danish come are made with homemade lemon curd and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls! Danish recipe inspired by Inside BruCrew Life. Eggless curd recipe from Shaken Together.

For the Eggless Lemon Curd (you can also use jarred curd instead):
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • For the Danish:
  • 1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (8 rolls)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup lemon curd (jarred, or fresh using the eggless curd recipe)
  • 1/3 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • For the Glaze:
  • 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream

Make the Lemon Curd (optional - you can also use jarred)
  1. Mix sugar, water, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk together until no lumps remain, then stir with a wooden spoon constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. After 4 minutes, add the lemon juice and zest. Continue stirring rapidly, it will thicken very quickly once the mixture boils again. Remove from heat and place in a heat safe jar. Let cool on the counter, cover and refrigerate once cool.
  2. Make the Glaze:
  3. Heat the white chocolate chips and heavy cream together in a microwave safe bowl. Mine took about 30-45 seconds. Stir until smooth. Let cool while the danish bake.
  4. Make the Danish:
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  6. Unroll the Crescent Rolls into a large rectangle. Break the rectangle in half along the seam, so you have two rectangle made up of four crescent rolls each. Press the seams together, and then cut each rectangle into four squares, for eight total danishes.
  7. Mix the Greek yogurt and sugar in a small bowl. Place about a tablespoon in the center of each square.
  8. Top the yogurt with about a tablespoon of lemon curd. Fold up the edges, pinching to seal the corners as much as you can. Transfer carefully to prepared cookie sheets.
  9. Bake about 8 minutes, until the crescent rolls are golden brown on top. Drizzle with the glaze. Cool before eating.

You might also like:

Almond Joy Crescent Rolls

almond joy crescent rolls

Lemon Pie Cookies and Lemon Curd

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

pumpkin-coffee-cake (3 of 5)w

Blueberry Cheesecake Danish by Inside BruCrew Life
Easy Cinnabon Doughnuts by Something Swanky
Macaroon Bars by The Domestic Rebel

90 Responses to “Easy Lemon Cream Danish”

1. keri @ shaken together posted on July 30, 2013 at 3:49 pm (#)

These look ridiculously delicious and I’m so excited to see my eggless lemon curd included in your recipe!! YUM and pinned :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for the rocking recipe! :)

2. Miss Messy posted on July 30, 2013 at 4:18 pm (#)

I wish they sold crescent rolls in the UK, this looks so good! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Gah! Why don’t they??? There must be a substitute. Biscuits maybe? Puff pastry?

• Lin replied on February 25th, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I was thinking puffed pastry, as well!

3. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on July 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm (#)

Digging that eggless lemon curd! So easy. And that greek yogurt filling! Come on, that is just too good! Pinned, pinned, pinned!

4. Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies posted on July 30, 2013 at 5:35 pm (#)

ohhhhh yes! These sound amazing. I love danishes and I love love love lemon even more! Can’t wait to try these out

5. Jen @JuanitasCocina posted on July 30, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

So, what you’re saying is…these are practically medicinal and good for my health. SOLD!

6. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm (#)

I can’t tell what I’m more impressed by, the fact that you survived the concert {without knocking that chick off her chair} or that you make your own lemon curd!! So awesome. You are a rock star. And you don’t even need the tween back up singers.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

LOL! I know. I’m surprised she didn’t fall off, to be honest, with all the beer they brought in! ;) Thanks Lisa! We can be backup rockstars together!

7. Tieghan posted on July 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm (#)

Ok, I have never had a danish!! My mom was never into baking stuff like this and we never went out for breakfast, so I guess I never had the chance. These look so good though!! I have been missing out, I NEED to make these. Oh and that lemon curd sounds so good too!

8. Heather @ French Press posted on July 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm (#)

I was totally thinking the same thing at BTR…too much drinking and WAY too little clothing. Oh, and the danish…YUM

9. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on July 31, 2013 at 4:37 am (#)

Mmm this is great! So easy, too! Love it :)

10. Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) posted on July 31, 2013 at 4:50 am (#)

This is a beautiful danish. If I had breakfasts like this every day, I’m sure I’d always have a great start to my day.

11. Kathy posted on July 31, 2013 at 6:01 am (#)

Oh I love lemon curd! This looks fabulous Dorothy!

12. tanya posted on July 31, 2013 at 6:06 am (#)

Very funny Dorothy, I love the description of the drunk adults mixed with screaming tweens. We are big fans of Shake It Up (er, my kids are), I think my girls would’ve died! These lemon danishes are the perfect way to wake up!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I actually like the show and we are all pretty sad it’s ending. Jordan was CRUSHED.

13. Kristin posted on July 31, 2013 at 6:10 am (#)

I save all the lemon recipes for when my mom visits…bookmarking this one for later!

I don’t even know what musical act/t.v. show you speak of here. So I must be old.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:26 pm

LOL. She’s on a Disney show. You’re not old, just too sane to watch Disney Channel. ;)

14. The Better Baker posted on July 31, 2013 at 7:15 am (#)

WOWOWOW! I love anything made with crescent rolls, and your filling sounds soooo yummy! You share the best recipes! Thanks. Pinning this one too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thank you! You’re so sweet. :)

15. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on July 31, 2013 at 8:29 am (#)

These delicious danishes are irresistible, Dorothy! I would never be able to stop at one. I go lemon crazy this time of year!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Me too! Well, all year, that is. ;)

16. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on July 31, 2013 at 9:16 am (#)

Oh, tween concerts! I took my nieces to see Taylor Swift and it was fun, albeit weird, experience! They loved it though and from what I could tell, most adults were behaving ;)

Your danish look so yummy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I wish I would have taken her to Taylor Swift. By the next time she’ll probably have gone the way of Miley Cyrus, lol. ;)

17. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on July 31, 2013 at 10:37 am (#)

I am having one of those I need a danish days now after seeing these amazing looking danishes. These look out of this world!

18. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on July 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm (#)

For the record that much wine and people jammin’ out would weird me out too! At least you got a tasty treat the next morning :)

19. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on July 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm (#)

Ugh, state fair concerts are the wooooorst. The last and only one I went to, I was the annoying preteen, but there were tons of drunk adults chilling around me and it was so awkward. Like, why are you interested in seeing a Swedish pop band that NO ONE IN THE WORLD BUT I have heard of? Silly adults. Swedish pop band concerts are for KIDS.

And so are danishes, actually. Kids, and kids at heart :) love that eggless lemon curd!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Right? It was soooo weird! Fairs are just…weird. :)

20. Tahnycooks posted on July 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm (#)

I would love to sink my teeth into one those right now! Three of my favorite flavors all in one! Pinning!

21. Theresa @DearCreatives posted on July 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm (#)

Looks amazing. Hope I can try making this soon!

22. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:48 am (#)

State fairs might have better people watching than an airport! I have yet to attend a tween concert but I can only imagine the scene. Happy to hear you survived…. (I would’ve been a lot more judgy!) I’d love to wake up to a lemon curd danish any day of the week! (tween concert not needed :) )

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:20 am

Oh yes, the people watching was supreme!

23. ThisBakerGirlBlogs posted on August 1, 2013 at 8:41 am (#)

Yum! I love anything lemon-y and that looks delicious :-)
    P.S. Just recently discovered your blog and can already tell I’ll be spending a lot of time on here :)

24. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on August 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm (#)

I knew I avoided those concerts for a good reason. Crazy town! I buy way too many crescent rolls too. Love this fun lemon version…thank you so much for the shout out!

25. Dori G. posted on August 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm (#)

Is there anything you can substitute for the yogurt? I’m very lactose intolerant. TYIA.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I think they have vegan types of yogurt, that would be dairy free. And if you want, you could leave the yogurt out completely, and just use a little more curd. They would still taste amazing!

• Dori G. replied on August 1st, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Dorothy! I do love lemon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Dori!

• jennielynn replied on January 24th, 2014 at 7:14 am

If you have a Trader Joe’s, they have a great vegan cream cheese that would be delicious in these.

26. Amy posted on August 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm (#)

Dorothy, you are a SAINT for taking Jordan and her cousin to the fair! I avoid fairs at all costs… Carnies give me the creeps, and I don’t like crowds. (Unless it’s Disneyland. And then, I’m short enough and have the entire park layout memorized so I can weave through everyone like the crowd isn’t even there. ;) ) And you’re an even bigger saint for waking up with barely 6 hours of sleep to make them such a yummy breakfast!

27. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on August 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

Sometimes when you’re forced to listen to terrible music, the only way to survive is to drink a lot. I’m betting that’s not most people’s excuse, though. In other news, these danishes are outrageous and I want to eat seventeen of them right now. Once my lemon tree starts producing, between that and my chickens, I could open up a lemon curd factory. Can’t wait to try this.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

LOL!! I wish we could grow lemons. We’ve killed at least 4 trees over our marriage. It wasn’t meant to be!

28. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 3, 2013 at 6:13 am (#)

They look awesome, Dorothy! I love the greek yogurt in them! And so easy with the crescent rolls – perfect!

29. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on August 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm (#)

Haha I saw Taylor Swift & Jewel at the fair! So funny!! These danish’s look delish… love some lemon curd!!

30. Cathy@LemonTreeDwelling posted on August 5, 2013 at 11:41 am (#)

Ha! I can totally picture this scene…..luckily, my kids aren’t at concert-going ages yet, so I have a few more years to avoid it all :) These pastries are awesome….I {heart} lemon curd!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Cathy! She’s already asking about the next one. Eek!

31. Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper posted on August 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm (#)

These look like little clouds of deliciousness!!

32. Sally Benson posted on August 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm (#)

Let’s face it, you could wrap a sneaker with crescent rolls and it’d be delicious; wrapping it around all this yumminess is beyond delicious to …. oh what would be the word …… deliyummyishiousness???

33. CONNIE GARCIA posted on August 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm (#)

Can’t wait to try these. i know they will be great

34. Meg Kaufman posted on August 18, 2013 at 7:00 pm (#)

This sounds very yummy!!! I am gluten free….boy I miss crescent rolls!!! Do you think this would work with pie dough?? I just bought pillsbury GF pie dough. So maybe I can substitute that???

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 19th, 2013 at 6:55 am

I bet it would, it would be like the pie cookies I link to in the post! You could form them the same way as these danish, and just adjust baking time accordingly!

35. Pingback: What's Been Happenin' In The Cocina ~ 8/3/13! | Juanita's Cocina

36. Pingback: Blueberry Monkey Bread Muffins - Crazy for Crust

37. Pingback: White Chocolate Lemon Bars - Crazy for Crust

38. Pingback: Easy Lemon Donut Holes {two ways} - Crazy for Crust

39. Francesca posted on January 9, 2014 at 5:59 am (#)

I’ve never bought crescent rolls before or baked with them; but I have just invested in my first can and I am looking forward to making these Dorothy. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Just one quick question, are they best eaten on the day they are made or will they last for a few days stored in an airtight container? Thank you. Happy New Year xx

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2014 at 6:46 am

They last a few days, stored in the fridge. But they do taste best on day one! :) Enjoy!

• Francesca replied on January 9th, 2014 at 7:32 am

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I’m looking forward to making these for my lemon curd loving friend hehe xx

40. jennielynn posted on January 24, 2014 at 7:12 am (#)

Oh wow. I too have an unhealthy love of the crescent roll. I never thought to make danish with them! I’m so doing this for my next writer’s group meeting. I’m seeing the lemon and maybe a cream cheese and cherry as well. Ooooo, and blueberry.

I’m going to have SO much fun with this recipe.

41. Diane posted on February 14, 2014 at 5:09 pm (#)

Thank you for this recipe. It was nice to make lemon curd without using so much eggs too. My hubby says these tastes like lemon meringue pie. I was also adventurous and made my own blitz puff pastry for the recipe instead of the Pillsbury stuff – my husband signed me up for a class last year at King Arthur flour to learn how to make and well he has created a baking beast! Will make again and it’s a keeper in my book.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 15th, 2014 at 11:46 am

I totally want to make my own puff pastry someday. It’s so scary! :) I’m glad you liked them!!

• Diane replied on February 15th, 2014 at 12:22 pm

It sounds scary but it really isn’t all that bad. In the class we learned the blitz version which is the fast one. And, if you go onto their website and type in puff pastry and they will give you a recipe for a turnover but in that recipe they also direct to their blog which shows you photographs of the step by step to make the pastry and if you should make a mistake they have a baker’s hotline and they can help you and guide you in the process of making it. They are very good at that and its always a great help. Trust me I am still learning and even if it is not all that great it still yields yummy results and I am still determined to keep making it.

42. Mark Mickelsen posted on February 16, 2014 at 12:55 am (#)

Can you substitute orange zest and orange juice and get a recipe for “Easy Orange Cream Danish”?

43. Mark Mickelsen posted on February 16, 2014 at 1:04 am (#)

One more question concerning the “Easy Lemon Cream Danish”. Where can I find a recipe for lemon curd that is not egg-less? Also, is there a recipe for orange curd?
    Thanks.

44. Lin posted on February 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm (#)

Did you know you can get the crescent roll dough that is NOT perforated? Yep, just sheets of yumminess. Anyhoo… Have you ever tried making these in muffin pans so none of the curd oozes out?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 25th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I’ve never been able to find those sheets! I need to look harder. I haven’t made them in a muffin pan, but you totally could. Just press them in and fill!

• Lin replied on February 25th, 2014 at 1:31 pm

You would think in California they would be easy to find. :( Thanks for the thumbs up on the muffin pan! I will let you know how they turn out.

45. chacha posted on March 23, 2014 at 3:53 pm (#)

I just made this curd and have to say ITS PRETTY DARN GOOD AND NO EGGS? I COULDNT BELEIVE THIS WHEN I SAW IT. One question tho? How long will it last in refrig. if i dont eat all in a couple of days. LOL P.S. I just received 40 big homegrown lemons and grated and juiced to freeze. Ill be making another batch in a couple of days. How about pineapple curd????????? I have only made lemon and lime curd. My favorites are lemon coconut and pineapple all of which are HEALTHY. Ill have to do some checking on others now see what u made me do.???? Also made strawberry preserves .

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I so want to make orange curd! I’m not sure how long it will last, but I think at least a week as long as it’s in the refrigerator. Use your best judgement! I think you could possibly freeze it too!

46. Pingback: Lemon Lover's Roundup | The Recipe Critic

47. Pingback: Guava and Cheese Pastries - Life Love and Sugar

48. Pingback: Peanut Butter Snickerdoodle Crescent Rolls - Crazy for Crust

49. Mary posted on June 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm (#)

Hi, I really hate to spoil a party, but would anyone know the carbs in any of these desserts… I am a diabetic and I have to count all carbs… I know, it is a pain, but that is what I have to do. I would love to try some of these desserts, but I don’t know how many carbs. Please don’t think I am a party pooper, but I really would like to know. Thanks

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 15th, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’m not sure of the carb count, but I would think a lot. The crescent rolls are full of flour, the yogurt and lemon curd have sugar. I’m not sure how you would substitute low-carb things…but if anyone else knows I hope they’ll chime in.

50. Pingback: Easy Pumpkin Danish - Crazy for Crust