Jul 31

Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies

My new favorite Muddy Buddies flavor: Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies! Made with Vanilla Chex and Cinnamon Roll Frosting Creations, these are a sweet and cinnamon filled treat!

Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies by crazyforcrust.com | An easy snack, filled with cinnamon and vanilla flavor!

You know your child watches too much TV when…

They sing the Sleep Train song every time you drive by the store.

They name their barbie dolls after actors from Full House. Not the characters: the actual actors themselves.

They know which season of Full House they are watching because of the images in the opening credits.

When their ear is itchy, they poke at it with their fingers while telling you that we need the WaxVac ear cleaner because “you shouldn’t use cotton swabs and all you need to do is put the vacuum in your ear, suck out the goop, rinse it out, and boom! Your ear is clean! All for only $13.99!”

You know you’re a work at home mom when…

Your kid watches way too much TV.

Despite the heat of the Sacramento summer, I’ve been dying for Fall. Maybe it’s so Jordan will go back to school and I can feel less guilty about getting all my work done.

Maybe it’s because I want to bake again, and post pumpkin and apple and Fall flavors. If we’re being honest, get ready. I’m not waiting until Fall to start!

In the meantime, I’ll eek my toe in with cinnamon roll flavors. And Jordan needs something to munch on in front of all that TV…so muddy buddies were in order.

I have been totally craving muddy buddies recently. I just couldn’t decide what flavor to make. Then I found a box of Vanilla Chex at the store and became addicted to eating bowlfuls of it dry, for dessert. I knew I had to get it rid of the box, or I’d eat it all so I did what every good food blogger does: I added white chocolate, powdered sugar, and flavorings to it. You know, to triple the calories.

These muddy buddies (also known as puppy chow, depending on where you live, I think) are made with the Vanilla Chex Cereal and coated in a mixture of white chocolate and a Cinnamon Roll Frosting Creation packet, from Duncan Hines.

{I swear, I’m in love with those packets. I pick up two or three every time I shop. It’s like I’m hoarding them or something.}

These muddy buddies are my favorite flavor yet. I love the very vanilla flavor from the Chex and white chocolate, with the hint of cinnamon from the Frosting Creations packet. I also added some pecans, and wow. Muddy buddied pecans are amazing. I think I need to make a whole batch of just muddy buddy nuts.

Hmmmm….that gives me some more ideas! #lifeofafoodblogger

These are simple to make, no bake for hot days, and are seriously addicting. I got rid of the cereal…by managing to polish off a bag of muddy buddies.

Story of my life!

Maybe I need to get that Ab Rocket thing Jordan was telling me about…? ;)

Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies

Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies

A sweetly cinnamon muddy buddy (aka puppy chow)! Vanilla Chex are coated with Cinnamon Roll flavoring and white chocolate for a new variation on a favorite snack. Recipe adapted from Something Swanky.

• 7 cups Vanilla Chex Mix (or Cinnamon Chex)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup canned vanilla frosting
  • 1 packet Duncan Hines Cinnamon Roll Frosting Creations
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips or white candy melts
  • 1-2 cups powdered sugar

1. Place Chex and pecans in a large bowl. Place 1 cup powdered sugar in a large resealable plastic bag.
  2. Place frosting in a medium bowl and stir in Frosting Creations packet. Add white chocolate chips or melts and microwave in 20 second increments, stirring int between, until melted and smooth. Pour over Chex/Pecans and use two spoons or your hands to stir.
  3. Pour coated cereal into the plastic bag with powdered sugar and seal. Shake to coat. Break up large frosting chunks, reseal bag, and shake again.
  4. If you are serving the Muddy Buddies immediately, one turn in the powdered sugar is fine. If you will be letting it sit, the first coat of powdered sugar might start to dissolve, so coat again as in step 3 with the second cup of powdered sugar.

You may also like:

Red Hots Muddy Buddies

Red-Hots-Muddy-Buddies 3 words

Muddy Buddy Cheeseball

muddy buddy cheeseball 1 words

Pumpkin Pie Muddy Buddies by Something Swanky
Butterfinger Muddy Buddies by Crumbs & Chaos
Butterscotch Peanut Butter Puppy Chow by Sally’s Baking Addiction

I am a Duncan Hines Passionate Blogger, but I was in no way compensated for this post. I just love the product!

54 Responses to “Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm (#)

I would INHALE THESE! Dorothy – omg yes. You made these for me, didn’t you :) Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Aaaand…that’s what I did. LOL :) Thanks Averie!

2. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on July 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm (#)

omg cinnamon buns in snack form?! too good to be true!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

LOL, I know!

3. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on July 31, 2013 at 4:50 pm (#)

Love the idea of using frosting creations… so many fun possibilities.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Laura!

4. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm (#)

Don’t worry about the TV, I watched WAY too much tv growing up and look how I turned out!……;P

Cinnamon roll puppy chow is such an uhhhmazing idea! I am so curious about how this tastes!

(oh btw I made your bakery style chocolate chip cookies and they are probably the best choc chip cookies I’ve ever made. Michael and I are OBSESSED)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Thank you Kayle!! That’s good to hear. :) And yeah, I figure I’m just letting Jordan do research for her future career in acting. :)

5. Jill @ Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons posted on July 31, 2013 at 6:11 pm (#)

What a great idea! This looks so good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Thanks Jill!

6. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on July 31, 2013 at 7:09 pm (#)

I know! I make a pan of brownies and by the time half if it is finished, I decide to add cookie dough or frosting or MnMs … you made me feel better by saying its what good food bloggers do! To get rid of it, add sugar! I have to be so careful when I make puppy chow because I swear I eat the whole thing in mere minutes. It’s not even a funny problem! The thought of combining cinnamon rolls and puppy chow just blew my mind. The TV never advertises stuff as wonderful as this (ab exercises are not wonderful … Just saying:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:24 am

Yup, it’s like an auto reflex….hand to bag, hand to mouth, repeat…

7. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 31, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

We are totally on the same page this week! And not just with the Cinnamon Roll flavor creations (in Muddy Buddies??? You are a genius!!) but also about fall. Can’t. Come. Soon. Enough. I want pumpkin. I want Halloween. I want the cool temperatures and I want BACK TO SCHOOL!!! Love these Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:23 am

I say we start posting it…then it will come. :)

8. Tieghan posted on July 31, 2013 at 7:53 pm (#)

This would be devoured in a minute! AMAZING!! I love, love, love this Dorothy! So creative and cinnamon roll anything is always, always going to be so good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:23 am

Thanks Tieghan!

9. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on July 31, 2013 at 8:22 pm (#)

OMG I love puppy chow. I just made some the other day and my parents made me hide it from them because it’s so addicting. I love the idea of using Frosting Creations to add flavor!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:22 am

Ditto, so addicting! Thanks Faith!

10. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on July 31, 2013 at 8:25 pm (#)

I’m.drooling. I’m absolutely ready for fall and it hasn’t even been that hot this summer :) I love the idea of muddy buddied pecans – they sound divine!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:22 am

Can I come live with you??? It’s been the hottest summer in a long time here!

11. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on July 31, 2013 at 9:48 pm (#)

MM Dorothy can I come over and watch TV and eat a whole bowlful of these muddy buddies- seriously best flavor ever!!! So intrigued!! And yes apples and pumpkin are defo happening before “fall” LOL

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:22 am

Please do, and stop me from wolfing them down!

12. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious posted on July 31, 2013 at 11:18 pm (#)

The wax vac ad is hilarious, the guy screaming owww when he pokes his ear is soooo fake sounding. Anyhoo these buddies look way delicious :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:21 am

I know, it is. I laugh every time I see it!

13. Ashley posted on August 1, 2013 at 4:15 am (#)

Muddy Buddies are definitely on my baking bucket list. And I’m glad Jordan has found the best show ever to hang on to – A girl can learn a lot from Full House! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:21 am

YES! Best show ever!

14. tanya posted on August 1, 2013 at 4:52 am (#)

Yep, I’m totally ready for fall too. Not necessarily weather wise, but I’m ready for fall food! These muddy buddies sound so good right now Dorothy! They look tempting too.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:21 am

I’m ready for cooler weather. What sucks is we won’t get it until October! Thanks Tanya!

15. Kristin posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:53 am (#)

The last time I made something like this, we ate it all in one day.

Love that you used frosting!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2013 at 7:20 am

Ditto. I have to throw it away with coffee grounds to stop eating it…

16. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on August 1, 2013 at 9:33 am (#)

I’ve been craving fall things too lately! I better get going on those recipes :) I love the idea of using a frosting creations in this. They are so adaptable!

17. aimee @ like mother like daughter posted on August 1, 2013 at 9:42 am (#)

oh my goodness, this looks amazing. I love muddy buddies so much. I love cinnamon rolls so much. Putting them together? Genius idea – I can’t wait to try!

18. Becca Roose posted on August 1, 2013 at 10:39 am (#)

These look so good! I did cinnamon roll muddy buddies last week, but with cinnamon chex! LOL, like you hopped into my brain or something.

19. Emily @ Life on Food posted on August 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm (#)

When cinnamon rolls just aren’t possible. Yep, sign me right up!

20. Tahnycooks posted on August 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm (#)

I’m pretty certain that muddy buddies are one of the best snacks ever! I’d love to have a handful or BOWL of this right now!

21. Pingback: White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies - Something Swanky

22. Amy posted on August 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm (#)

We never had muddy buddies in our house growing up, but one of the moms in our carpool made them all the time and snuck us little bags when our mom wasn’t looking! I had actually been tempted to try the Vanilla Chex after Safeway had a coupon for them, but now I’m rethinking that… If you’re addicted to them, I’ll be even worse!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I was TOTALLY ADDICTED. So good. Stay away, lol!

• Amy replied on August 5th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for the warning! ;)

23. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 3, 2013 at 6:10 am (#)

Such a great idea Dorothy! I’ve been seeing those frosting creations packages and thinking they’d be perfect for muddy buddies! LOVE the cinnamon flavor!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I want to make some with every flavor!

24. Wendy posted on August 4, 2013 at 10:10 am (#)

Oh, yum! I love anything cinnamon ! Muddy Buddies are such an addicting snack. :) The Frosting Creations are fun to play with. I have been experimenting with them in cookies but never thought of muddy buddies! Thanks, Dorothy.:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Wendy! I am so addicted to muddy buddies (and frosting creations!) that I’m in need of an intervention!

25. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on August 5, 2013 at 5:49 am (#)

These sound so crazy delicious! I didn’t watch tons of TV as a kid, but my mom has told me that I would ignore the TV when a show was on, but I would plop right down in front of it for a commercial! I was a jingle reciting fool :) I still kind of am, I guess!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

LOL, sounds like Jordan. She colors, talks, and everything during shows. I haven’t watched a full one in years. ;)

26. Carole posted on January 16, 2014 at 9:39 am (#)

I have made something like this but instead of a zip lock bag I have a large tupperware bowl with a lid that seals & I put it all in there & then between my 2 kids & I we shake it till it’s all coated.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

A Ziploc bowl. OMG – you’re a GENIUS. Totally using that trick from now on!

27. Pingback: Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies!

28. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies - Crazy for Crust

29. Pingback: Throw a Disney Frozen Themed Party! | Brownie Bites | Tales, Trips, Tastes, and Tinkers

30. Mandy posted on January 25, 2014 at 6:30 pm (#)

I am in love with these already and have not even made them. And I am also I full time work at home mama with a kid who can recite all TV shows and commercials. He gave me a 20 minute break down of why the Shark was the best vacuum based on an infomercial he watched……..he is only 7! Glad to know someone else has to babysit with the TV at times!

31. Jacinda posted on May 12, 2014 at 10:04 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing this great idea! I am looking forward to trying this for my daughters birthday, but with a Frozen Twist….
    I featured it in my blog round up here:

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2014 at 6:48 am

Oooh, I can’t wait to see!

32. Pingback: Birthday Party Ideas: Throw A Disney Frozen Themed Party To Surprise Your Kids | The Hungry Recipe