May 22

Peanut Butter Flag Dip

This Peanut Butter Flag Dip will be the absolute hit of your Memorial Day or Fourth of July party! Full of peanut butter and chocolate chips, this dip is awesome with dippers but better with a spoon!

PB Flag Dip Collage

A little over a year ago, I posted this little recipe called a Peanut Butter Football Dip. I made it on a whim one afternoon, trying to make something for my football-obsessed husband. I had no idea it would become my #1 most viewed recipe ever. Also, the #1 most stolen, but that’s another story. ;)

I have been trying to figure out how to repeat that dip, because everyone seemed to love it so much. I’m a smart person, but it took an email from a reader to make the lightbulb go off in my head.

I didn’t need to re-make the dip recipe. I needed to re-make the shape!

peanut-butter-flag-dip (3 of 6)

Last month, a reader emailed and said how much she loved the Peanut Butter Football. She sent me photos of how she’d made it into a fish for her father’s surprise birthday, and into a pencil for the teachers at her school.

As soon as I saw her photos, a load of bricks fell on my head and I was all, duuuuuhhhhhh. Only took me over a year to figure that one out. Jeesh.

I immediately racked my brain for the net big holiday. Even though July 4th is still over a month away, Memorial Day is this weekend. And, well. I couldn’t wait to share this with you!

peanut-butter-flag-dip (4 of 6)

This is the exact same dip recipe as that Peanut Butter Football. Peanut butter, cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and mini chocolate chips.

{You know…low fat stuff.}

You mix it together, form it into a shape. Find some sprinkles in the colors you want…and voila!

I got my excess of red and blue sprinkles from Sweet! Baking Supply. Like I said the other day…a 3 ounce bottle is a lot of sprinkles. I used about 3/4 of a red and the same of the blue. You can find white jimmies at most craft or baking stores right now. Pretty soon they’ll have red, white, and blue sprinkles in the stores, but if you can’t find them, I totally recommend Sweet! They got here super fast and were super cheap!

peanut-butter-flag-dip (5 of 6)

I know I show serving it with pretzels (and Pie Crust Chips would be great too!), but my favorite way to eat it was with a spoon. Why waste the calories on the dippers? ;)

Peanut Butter Flag Dip

Peanut Butter Flag Dip

• ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup peanut butter (your choice; crunchy or smooth)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (up to 2 cups if needed)
  • ½ cup mini chocolate chips
  • Red, White, and Blue jimmies sprinkles (separated)

1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and peanut butter until mixed (using a hand-held mixer). Mix in vanilla.
  2. Add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, and mix until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
  3. Turn out mixture on a large sheet of waxed paper. Use your hands to form into a rectangle (flag) shape.
  4. Place the waxed paper onto your serving plate. (It helps if the plate has sides…less mess!) Cover in sprinkles in a flag pattern: using waxed paper, block off a section for the blue. Cover in blue sprinkles, then a few white ones and pat to adhere them. Do the same for the red and white stripes of the flag, repeating until the dip is covered.
  5. Serving suggestion: pretzels, animal crackers, cookies, a spoon. Store in refrigerator.

Other sweets you might like:

Red, White, and Blue Cupcake Tops

red white and blue cupcake tops

Muddy Buddy Cheeseball

muddy buddy cheeseball 1 words

Red, White, and Blue Summer Spritzer by Wine and Glue
Red, White, and Blueberry Breakfast by Mom on Timeout
Cookies and Cream Cheeseball Football by Something Swanky

74 Responses to “Peanut Butter Flag Dip”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:17 am (#)

So fun! Around Superbowl time, I posted a pizza in the shape of a stadium. I think you did that ‘snackadium’ post, too, right? This reminds me of that, but better. Because PB trumps pizza!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:30 am

Yup, I did the stadium – dessert style, of course. :) Thanks Averie!

• Vicky replied on June 29th, 2014 at 2:26 pm

how about using red, white and blue m&ms for the colors. You wouldn’t have to make it solid, but it would be YUMMO!!

2. tanya posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:38 am (#)

LOVE this Dorothy! I’m glad the “load of bricks fell on your head” because this is a great idea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:29 am

I’m glad too! Thanks Tanya!! :)

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:04 am (#)

Oooh lookat you bein all fancy and patriotic! Love this, it’s completely perfect for Memorial Day!

4. Tieghan posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:19 am (#)

So cute! I love making holiday themed foods!! And well, peanut butter rules!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:28 am

Yes, yes it does! Thanks Tieghan!

5. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:36 am (#)

I always get so excited for PB recipes! This one sounds absolutely delicious, not to mention it looks pretty too! Perfect for the holiday!

6. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on May 22, 2013 at 6:08 am (#)

So, so cute! Pour on the PB Dorothy :) I love this for a show-stopping dip that (shhhhh) comes together in a snap. Hello party perfect.

7. Dana posted on May 22, 2013 at 6:15 am (#)

This is adorable!! We are having a MDBBQ on Saturday…..I might have to consider this as another dessert!! YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:28 am

It’ll go like gangbusters. I promise!

8. Mom posted on May 22, 2013 at 6:41 am (#)

Cute and very good (with a spoon)! It may have a lot of fat but it also has a lot of protein. I can see into your future for other shapes: pumpkin, witch, turkey, Christmas tree, star, etc.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

Right? I must stop myself or I’ll be 200 pounds…

9. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on May 22, 2013 at 7:19 am (#)

Okay, when we are hanging out with our margaritas, can we have a GIANT bowl of this and two spoons please? You can put it in whatever shape you want and I will be your BFF for life. GAH! PB. Why does everything in butter form have to be so delicious. Nevermind. Answered my own question.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

Oh yes. Large spoons. Like ladles or something. :)

10. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on May 22, 2013 at 7:19 am (#)

This is just too cute!! And perfect for the holiday!

11. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:07 am (#)

What a fun idea! You could make it into just about anything :) Plus, you know, peanut butter is the best!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 am

It totally is and I totally am going to!

12. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:40 am (#)

Love this festive dip and it’s Peanut Butter, YAY for PB :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 am

Right? Totally! :) Thanks Julie!

14. ashley - baker by nature posted on May 22, 2013 at 10:34 am (#)

This is such a fun, cute idea!!!

15. PapaLos - The Man, The Chef, The Dad posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:10 am (#)

Sounds so good! Absolutely perfect for Memorial Day! Love it

16. Kathy posted on May 22, 2013 at 12:33 pm (#)

Yum! I think I will make this for the weekend! My whole family will be in town, so I can have some help eating it !

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 23rd, 2013 at 6:07 am

Enjoy Kathy!! That’s the best time to make it, otherwise you’ll eat it all yourself!

17. Melissa Vanni posted on May 22, 2013 at 12:46 pm (#)

You are so creative!!! I love this dip!

18. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm (#)

This is so freakin adorable! I love this! It is perfect for the holiday!

19. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm (#)

Oh I love this Dorothy!! Too adorable.

20. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:46 pm (#)

Dorothy, this is amazing! What a great looking dip, and so festive for Memorial Day, Flag Day or the Fourth!

21. nessa posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm (#)

Yum!

22. Rachel @ Bakerita posted on May 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm (#)

How cute is this! Such a perfect appetizer/dessert dip for the 4th. Such a good idea.

23. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm (#)

Too much fun Dorothy! This is awesome!

24. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on May 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm (#)

Oh my word. Peanut butter, cream cheese, butter, and chocolate chips? I think I was just introduced to my brand new addiction.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 23rd, 2013 at 6:00 am

I know it’s mine! :) Thank you!

25. amanda @ fake ginger posted on May 23, 2013 at 8:13 am (#)

This is so cute!

26. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on May 23, 2013 at 9:35 pm (#)

I predict Peanut Butter Dip shaped for every holiday! I love the flag :)

27. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:33 am (#)

That is awesome!!! I love when readers inspire new creations!!! The next time I need more sprinkles, I will definitely check out that site for fun colors!!!

28. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:52 am (#)

This is just adorable!! But this dip can also be eaten on Flag Day! (June 14th) The only reason why I know when Flag Day is because June 14th it’s my birthday :)

29. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:47 am (#)

Yummy and colorful dip for memorial day :)

30. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:54 am (#)

Load of bricks lol!

31. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies | The Man, The Chef, The Dad

32. Back For Seconds posted on May 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm (#)

I am so making this dip!! Sounds amazing, and I love the patriotic flag :)

33. Phillip @ what soup maker posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm (#)

Now that’s something you don’t see every day with the use of peanut butter, very clever and could be adapted for all occasions

34. Pingback: 60+ Patriotic Desserts for the 4th of July

35. Cathy @ Lemon Tree Dwelling posted on June 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm (#)

I am trying to imagine these flavors in my mouth right now. It’s working….and I want some! Great presentation….this would be such a hit!

36. Pingback: 26 Fourth of July Recipe Ideas - Crazy for Crust

37. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies - The Man, The Chef, The Dad

38. Pingback: Happy 4th!

39. Pingback: Patriotic Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bark - Crazy for Crust

40. Emily posted on April 22, 2014 at 8:42 am (#)

I make your dip ALL THE TIME; I am obsessed with it and it’s always a HUGE hit at any party. I serve it with pretzels and chocolate animal cookies — which is the HANDS DOWN MOST TASTY way to eat it! I usually do the football version, but if not that I just throw it in a bowl like any other dip. It doesn’t need sprinkles to be delicious!

41. Pingback: 29 Fun And Easy Fourth-Of-July Treats Your Kids Will Love | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

42. Pingback: 25 Red, White and Blue Recipes - Just Us Four