Apr 03

VIP Rock Star Party Ideas

Want to party like a Rock Star? Host a VIP Rock Star Party for your daughter (or son!) and you’ll be the most famous mom ever. Plus, a DIY birthday party at home is cheaper and way more fun to plan!

VIP_Rockstar_Party_Title

I was not surprised around Thanksgiving when Jordan announced she wanted a rock star birthday party (in February – we’re “future thinkers” in this house). I mean, all the girl does is listen to music, watch Hannah Montana, and dance. A VIP rock star party was a given.

DIY at home parties are the ones I prefer. I’ve done the whole $300 + food for a party at a place – but it wasn’t personalized enough for me. I like getting nitty gritty into the details – that’s what makes it special (for me). I know these details might look like I spent a ton of time – but I didn’t. I also didn’t spend a lot of money – most of the items were printed from my own computer. This was probably the easiest and cheapest party we’ve ever put together. And, bonus, now that she’s 8, she could help too! And, because she’s older, she had more of an opinion on who she wanted at the party. The result: only 7 girls!

If you have a girl in your life who is addicted to American Idol, singing, dancing, and performing, this party is for you. {Heck, who am I kidding? I want this party for my next birthday!}

VIP_Rock_star_Party_1

The invitations were in two parts. Each guest got a lanyard (from Staples) with a VIP Party Pass. The back of the lanyard had the important party info: date, time, place. Along with the lanyard, the guests got a 5×7 invite I printed on cardstock with the actual invitation. They were instructed to “dress like a rockstar” and not to forget their VIP Pass!

I created the invitations using My Memories scrapbooking software, but you could use PicMonkey or even Word.

The digital papers were part of the DIY Rockstar Girl Birthday Party Package from Cupcake Express. I emailed her and she was able to sell me just the digital papers, because I wanted to do my own things with them and Jordan fell in love with the colors and papers.

Now onto the party!

VIP_Rock_star_Party_3

When the girls arrived, they got glammed up. I had glow necklaces ($1 section at Target) and neon glasses and hair extensions for them to wear. Both the glasses and hair came from Oriental Trading.

VIP_Rock_star_Party_7

The girls spent a lot of time designing their own guitars. The paper guitars came from Oriental Trading and I got the ribbon at Walmart. The ribbon was already stapled onto the guitar and ready to go for the designers.

The main activity for the party was a dance class, taught by a couple of cheer dancers from the local high school. For $50 apiece, they choreographed a dance to Jordan’s choice song (Spotlight by Hannah Montana) and spent an hour teaching the girls to dance. Best $100 I have ever spent on a party, hands down. The girls loved it.

{Sidebar: I hadn’t planned to spend $100 – I was only hiring 1 college girl for $50. When she backed out I scrambled and took two – in case someone else had to cancel. Totally worth it – and having two was actually better in the end!}

VIP_Rock_star_Party_4

I think I had the most fun putting together the dinner table. Other than the tableware, this was probably the cheapest table I’ve ever done. The plates, cups, and tablecloth came from Party City. I found the feather boa deep in Jordan’s closet and just used that to wind around the flowers.

Each place setting had a place card that read “This VIP seat is reserved for:” and Jordan wrote in all the names. I also made a reserved sign for the table, like they would in a nightclub.

VIP_Rock_star_Party_5

Before the party, Jordan dressed up in her favorite rock star outfit and we took some head shots outside. I blew one up for the centerpiece of the food table. I glued that on black foam core (from the Dollar Tree) and printed out the Happy Birthday words. The background is wrapping paper, from Party City.

I posted the Microphone Cake Pops yesterday. I haven’t posted the dairy-free funfetti cupcakes yet because they were good – but not perfect. I’m still working on those! (I went dairy-free because one of Jordan’s little friends is allergic. And you have to have a cupcake at  party!) The guitar candy molds came from Amazon.

Instead of printing labels for the water bottles, like I did last year, I used duck tape. Way easier! They have it at all the craft stores and even Walgreens and Walmart. The pink zebra pattern one is from JoAnn’s.

VIP_Rock_star_Party_2

Playing off the head shots I took, I created a Merchandise Table for all the goody bag items. The backdrop was all the photos that I took of Jordan. She loved it was all about her. ;)

Items for goody bags:

• Canvas Tote Bags with the VIP party logo. These were super easy to do! I used fabric transfer sheets (you can buy them almost everywhere now, near the printer paper). I used the logo I created for the invite and followed the directions that came with the transfer sheets, then simply ironed them on.
  • Pop Rocks, for the rock stars!
  • Easy Peanut Butter Cookies that I had dipped in pink chocolate melts. The cello bags are from JoAnn’s.
  • VIP Party Mix CD. These are the cheapest favors you’ll ever give. I had Jordan pick her favorite songs from iTunes (that we already had) and burned CDs for each of the girls. The jewel cases are from Staples. I just printed a label for the front of each.

VIP_Rock_star_Party_6

We also had a stage set up with a background (Party City). The girls loved posing in front of it. They also played on her stage in the garage, where they could blast music and scream and I could shut the door and ignore them. {Kidding. We didn’t shut the door.}

I think this was my favorite kid party yet! What special touches do you add to your parties?

Thanks for reading!

46 Responses to “VIP Rock Star Party Ideas”

1. Jenn posted on April 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm (#)

Wow you went all out. I LOVE every last detail, especially the “color your own guitar” idea!

2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on April 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm (#)

OH MY GOD! This is TOO cool!!! What a lucky kid Jordan is, and what an amazing, creative mom you are!

4. Shannon Moore posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm (#)

Love seeing all the pictures! As always, you did a fabulous job! I will be searching your blog for ideas from Jordan’s rainbow party. I’m stealing your idea and having a rainbow party for Myla. Any tips (or left over decor) that I could borrow would be appreciated!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:55 am

Oooh, let me look. Rainbow food is SO MUCH FUN. I have, like, three trillion ideas for that!

5. Mom posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm (#)

Everything looks great! No wonder she had such a good time.

6. Ashton posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm (#)

WAY. TOO. AWESOME!

7. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm (#)

LOVE this party!! I bet all the girls had a great time! Great minds think alike… we’re both a month behind posting our girls parties :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:54 am

With St. Pat’s and Easter, there was just no time! :) Thanks Karyn!

8. Tieghan posted on April 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm (#)

This is so cute!! Wow, I wish my birthday parties had been like this! So fun!

9. Heather @ French Press posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm (#)

what a great party – J must have loved it!

you’re a true VIP

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:54 am

Aw, thanks Heather. She did! :)

10. Cindy Harris posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm (#)

What a fun party. I love the dance instruction–what a great idea. My children are gone but I can see having a ‘Nana Camp’ and having dance or art or cooking instruction from a semi pro. The girls would have a blast.
    Way to go Mom–you are the Rock Star!!

11. Amy @Very Culinary posted on April 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm (#)

Omg. Ridiculous!! Once my girl is finally through with princesses, I am all over this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:53 am

I was so sad when the Princesses ended. :( But this is kind of more fun!

12. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on April 4, 2013 at 5:09 am (#)

Such a super adorable party!

13. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and VEggies posted on April 4, 2013 at 6:20 am (#)

WOW! you go ALL OUT for a birthday party! I think I was lucky to have a cake and a veggie tray growing up ;-) will you throw my quarter century Bday party for me this year?! lol

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:51 am

Of course! I just love doing it, and all the details. Pinterest was made for someone like me…

14. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on April 4, 2013 at 7:34 am (#)

K, for my 23rd birthday (eek!) next January, I want you to throw me a rockstar party! This looks AMAZING! Everything turned out perfect, from the DIY guitars to the glam center to the food .. totally gorgeous. I think you should reconsider your career to be a party planner, for serious.

PS, I super love Jordan’s dress .. wherever did she get it?! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Oh, I totally will. :) And that’s her favorite dress. For my next birthday I want it!!

15. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on April 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm (#)

I’m waaay older than 8, but this looks like the coolest party ever!! What a cute idea! I love the sunnies!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I know, right? I want that party!

16. The Partiologist posted on April 4, 2013 at 2:07 pm (#)

What a fabulous party – memories forever! :)

17. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on April 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm (#)

Wow, Dorothy–you did an AWESOME job on this! I can’t imagine what a blast all those girls had!

18. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on April 4, 2013 at 10:45 pm (#)

I want a Rock Star Birthday Party!!!! Dorothy, you are such a cool mom, and now I feel inspired to create a fantastic birthday for my kiddos too. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 5th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thanks Shawn! You deserve a rockstar party!

19. KC @ The Real Thing with the Coake Family posted on April 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm (#)

What a fantastic party! I know my 11 year old would love this! I love all the details and special touches you added to really put the VIP Rock star theme over the top.
    I would love if you would share this at my link party. http://www.realcoake.com/2013/04/real-family-fun-8.html
    Take care,
    KC

20. Maria posted on April 6, 2013 at 3:36 am (#)

Cool party! Our little girl’s turning sweet sixteen! Our party is today and it’s trickier cause the theme can’t be too babyish (after all, she’s a teen!) So we are going with Paris, Pearls and Pink. So I made signs in French and am using pink, black and white as our color theme. Everyone has been instructed to wear something pink. Since she loves bows, I bought pink towle and tied bows all over the house. I made some poodle cut outs too, cause they were cure! A few French items for apps, but pizza is for lunch. I could have done crepes, but honestly too much work for the group I am having. I did coconut cupcakes (her favorite), Lofthouse cookies with pink frosting and black sugar and chocolate sheet (all recipes from great food blogs.) Thankfully the sun is shining, so I am hoping for a touch of spring weather. I so enjoy your blog, recipes, Picts and your great sense of humor.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 6th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I love that theme!!! I hope my daughter wants that sometime. Happy birthday to her!

21. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on April 7, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

That is SOOOOOO cool!! I love all the details you put into the party! No wonder she had such a fantabulous time…she has a rock star of a mom making all this fun happen :-)

22. Ashley posted on October 2, 2013 at 11:17 am (#)

I love the font for you used for the VIP and ROCK STAR. Can I get that font anywhere? My daughter is planning her party right now!

23. Florence Keenan posted on November 16, 2013 at 8:36 am (#)

Hot pink and light blue are great colors for a girls rock n roll theme…so vibrant and energetic. I really loved the floral table decorations and those awesome microphone cake pops. Truly inspired, party food that’s also a party accessory. Great job!

24. boca raton internet marketing entrepreneur posted on June 6, 2014 at 12:07 am (#)

Make sure to write down anything you did not love about it or anything you thought was
    mising. It is so strange to question their children behavior and wonder where did it come from.
    As gratifying as it may be to share your latest achievement or even the latest company gossip, such information posted publicly could attract the attention of your
    competitors. Oh there are theories that the internet causes isolation.
    Fast forward to 2013 and nearly everyone has an account from students to CEOs.

Engaging and listening to your community will create a stronger and more likeable brand that you can build
    on and further promote using social media. Every single one of us
    has been born, and having been born, we only have ONE thing we must do,
    and that one thing is. Internet search engines are already continually
    working on their specific sets of rules and specifications concerning search positions,
    and so successes relating to online business seemed
    to be directly related to search engine standings. And most importantly,
    treat your customers how you would want to be treated.
    “You need to rely on each other for support,” he says.