Apr 19

Peanut Butter & Jelly Tart

You’re going to love this peanut butter and jelly tart – it’s so easy to make!

peanut butter and jelly tart | crazyforcrust.com

Can I tell you something and you promise to stay my friend?

Yes? Okay, ready?

I don’t really like jelly. I never have.

I especially don’t like jelly with peanut butter, like, in a sandwich. Ew.

Growing up I ate plain peanut butter sandwiches. As an adult I rarely eat peanut butter sandwiches, but I still like them plain. (I’d rather consume my peanut butter in say, a cookie. Or a tart. Or a pie.)

A few years ago I was craving something. Something sweet. and fruity. I really wanted this sweet and fruity thing but I didn’t know what it was.

I made toast for breakfast, opened the fridge to get the butter and saw the strawberry jam. I don’t remember if I was pregnant or what but I had to have that jam (that I hated) and I had to have it on this piece of toast right now.

So I did. And I liked it.

*Gasp*

So now I eat jelly on toast. Sometimes. When I’m not being boring and just using butter.

But I won’t eat jelly on a peanut butter sandwich, no way. Not ever.

I’ll save my peanut butter and jelly for this tart, thankyouverymuch.

I actually made this awhile ago…for the teachers on Pie Day. I didn’t get any photos of it cut…as it was for giving away. But I did taste a little bite of it when I dropped it off.

And it was good. So…let’s change it to “I don’t like jelly except in tarts. And on toast. And maybe in cookies?”

So I made this tart and I kinda forgot about it. Then I remembered that the Improv Challenge (hosted by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker) for April was peanut butter and jelly. Perfect!

Enjoy, and I hope you find some more yummy peanut butter and jelly treats in the hop below. Maybe I’ll find more jelly things that I’ll eat. :)

(Recipe from Food Network Magazine, September 2011)
Peanut Butter & Jelly Tart

• 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup strawberry (or your favorite flavor) jam

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9” fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
  2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. Cream peanut butter and butter with both sugars using a mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
  4. Press half the dough in the prepared tart pan. Spread with the jam, leaving a ½ inch border around the edge. Drop about half the remaining dough around the top of the jam, and press the remaining half around the border to seal the edges. Bake until golden, 45-50 minutes. Cool completely before removing ring and cutting.

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

74 Responses to “Peanut Butter & Jelly Tart”

1. Cookaholic Wife posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:34 am (#)

Looks delicious!

2. NittanyL posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:42 am (#)

Looks like a giant peanut butter cookie with some jam in the middle…yum!

3. Ambreen posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:59 am (#)

Absolutely delicious, mouthwatering here :)

4. Shannon posted on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 am (#)

That tart looks really delicious!

5. Ann posted on April 19, 2012 at 8:06 am (#)

Wow – the tart is absolutely stunning! I’m a HUGE fan of peanut butter AND jelly, so you’re speakin’ my language!

6. Kristin posted on April 19, 2012 at 8:16 am (#)

It looks like a giant PB cookie. Yum! I wouldn’t eat PB and jelly together until I was in my 20s. I’ve always liked jelly on toast though. I wish your kid went to my school…

7. Aimee posted on April 19, 2012 at 8:42 am (#)

I like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is DRIPPING with both. Mmmmm…. This tart looks awesome!

8. Sue Alexander posted on April 19, 2012 at 8:54 am (#)

I used to love peanut butter and jelly, now not so much, but in a pie, that could be great! Also I am singing the “peanut butter jelly time!” song in my head and trying not to dance while I do it.

9. Hayley posted on April 19, 2012 at 8:58 am (#)

You’re not alone. Though I cannot stand by your side and say I dislike jelly (I LOVE grape jelly and have a serious love affair with green apple mint jelly), my mom AND sister both detest jelly immensely and refuse it on their PBJ sammies. However, I’m sure they’d also make exceptions for this tart because it looks so crumbly and sweet and salty and AMAZING. If I become a teacher, will you make me this pie?

10. Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on April 19, 2012 at 9:25 am (#)

This tart looks perfect, Dorothy! It’s so deliciously crispy and crunchy. Yum!

11. Back for Seconds posted on April 19, 2012 at 9:49 am (#)

I got some homemade cherry jelly a few months ago. I don’t love jelly or cherries but this stuff rocks! I guess you just have to try stuff every once in awhile to see if your tastes changed? This tart looks great :)

12. Ellen posted on April 19, 2012 at 9:50 am (#)

Always opt for jam or preserves…Jelly, is well, not allowed in my house. We did find PBJ vodka last week, so with this creation (and the other links) you may have just created even more inspiration to BIWB! :)

13. Holly posted on April 19, 2012 at 9:51 am (#)

Your tart reminds me of some peanut butter and jelly ‘bars’ I made a long time ago!
    YUM! :)

14. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips posted on April 19, 2012 at 10:29 am (#)

Looks delicious and pretty!

15. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on April 19, 2012 at 11:03 am (#)

If I made this for my “PBJ” queen (aka my daughter…) I would win mother of the year for sure. Very cool recipe, I will for sure be making this…and that brownie cake below…WOWZA!!

16. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on April 19, 2012 at 11:04 am (#)

I linked up an old post of PBJ cookies I made awhile back for Frosting for the Cause..had to join your fun party!!

17. Kaylee posted on April 19, 2012 at 11:44 am (#)

I too hate jelly! I only ate peanut butter sandwiches as a kid. I don’t like jelly in anything. So glad to know I am not the only one. Thanks for the impromptu party!

18. Something Swanky posted on April 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm (#)

oh my gosh– I don’t know if this counts as one of those cosmic similarities we have, but I’m not really a HUGE jelly fan either. But when I was pregnant– oh. my. gosh. I HAD to have it. Seriously. We based all of our meals around whether I could put jelly on something in the meal. I made biscuits ALL OF THE TIME, because that was my favorite thing to jelly. I actually, I just craved all condiments (which is super weird, I think)– but Jelly was, like, number 1!!!

19. Lizzy posted on April 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm (#)

I’m not a fan of pb and j’s, but I could easily eat this gorgeous tart!

20. Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground posted on April 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm (#)

Oh, yum, Dorothy!!!! This looks dee-lish-us!!! :-)
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

21. Jocelyn posted on April 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#)

I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches…I mean they are ok. But if I am going to have one I would much rather have peanut butter and marshmallow fluff!!! mmmm my all time favorite sandwich!!!! Awesome PB&J tart!!! I would love a huge piece!!!

22. Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking posted on April 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm (#)

Haha, you sound as strange as me. I don’t like PB in a sandwich but I know I’d love it in this tart. Look uber amazing. Here’s some more… I don’t like nuts but I love them in chocolate. Yeh, I’m weird!

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

23. kristen-frugalanticsrecipes-com posted on April 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm (#)

I have been so surprised reading through the Improv posts, how many people don’t really care for pb & j together. Everyone has come up with stellar foods, though, including this tart. What a beautiful dessert!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on April 22nd, 2012 at 8:15 am

We are a bunch of freaks! LOL Thanks so much Kristen and thanks for hosting Improv!

24. Tiffany/MyCrowdedKitchen posted on April 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm (#)

Dorothy, this looks DE-LISH!

25. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on April 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm (#)

I thought I was the only one on the face of the planet who doesn’t really care for PB&J (at least as a sandwich)! Your tart looks amazing, though, and I could totally eat a huge slice of it!

26. gobakeyourself posted on April 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm (#)

PB and J tart? Utterly utterly delicious! I can imagine just taking that first spoonful then polishing off the pie ;)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

27. rebecca @ beurrista posted on April 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm (#)

your pb and j tart looks delish!

28. Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm (#)

WOw – this looks so good – will definitely be making this (strawberry jam is my favorite too.)

29. Alessandra posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm (#)

What a lovely blog! I found you via Sweet Eat and now I am following you!

Ciao
    Alessandra

30. Teri@thefreshmancook posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm (#)

Gorgeous! I could eat a huge slice!

31. lizy b posted on April 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm (#)

That looks beautiful!!! I do like jelly on my sandwiches, but strawberry only, never, ever grape!

32. Javelin Warrior posted on April 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm (#)

I love the texture of this crust and the concept of turning peanut butter and jelly into a tart is inspired! I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. As always, it’s a pleasure to be following your creations…

33. Mimi posted on April 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm (#)

Looks pretty tasty for someone who doesn’t like PB&J!
    Mimi

34. Cathy Wiechert posted on April 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm (#)

Well, I’d have this over a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich any day! What a fabulous looking dessert…

35. Debra Kapellakis posted on April 20, 2012 at 5:58 am (#)

he he he when I clicked print on the p@b tart a recipe for smores pie comes up…lol

36. Adelina Priddis posted on April 20, 2012 at 7:05 am (#)

Thanks for linking to Foodie Friday! Oh my goodness I think I’m going to make this today!!! Seriously that looks and sounds too good to pass up.

37. Desi posted on April 20, 2012 at 7:13 am (#)

Lol this made me laugh! I too have never really been a fan of pb&j sandwiches. I like the combo of pb&j but not really on a sandwich. So I feel ya! Your tart looks magnificent though. So much better than a sandwich :)

38. Laura @ cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot posted on April 20, 2012 at 7:56 am (#)

That’s interesting. It’s funny how our taste buds can be so fickle. I guess you just need PB&J presented in dessert form?

Visiting from Sweet Temptations Linky Party, hope you’ll stop by my blog too. :)

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

39. Kimberly posted on April 20, 2012 at 8:59 am (#)

Wow … I love peanut butter and jelly … and I think I’d love it even more in tart form! Great recipe … it looks and sound delicious!

40. Diane Balch posted on April 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm (#)

The texture looks so great on your tart… I’m sure my kids will get a kick out of it being p and j. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday…see you next week.

41. Michelles Tasty Creations posted on April 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. This looks amazing and I can’t wait to make one because I DO like PB&J. But, I do have to say that I only like my homemade strawberry jam and I do eat just Peanut Butter sandwiches.

I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

42. Maria posted on April 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm (#)

Mmmm this sounds delicious and looks beautiful! I’m your newest follower! Love all the recipes you share! :o)

43. Deana posted on April 22, 2012 at 9:03 am (#)

Thanks so much for linking up this delicious recipe @CountryMommaCooks….have a wonderful Sunday:)

44. Carole posted on April 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm (#)

Talking of peanut butter jelly, you might like this quote. Janet Evanovich Quote

45. Lisa posted on April 24, 2012 at 8:50 am (#)

This looks SO delicious! I am for sure putting this at the top of our “to bake” list! :-) Thanks so much for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday!” :-) Hopefully you’ll be able to join us again next week. Many blessings, Lisa :-)

46. amy and jesse hudson posted on April 27, 2012 at 7:29 am (#)

Perfect for a kids birthday or gathering :) Play date!!

47. Polkadot-pretties posted on April 28, 2012 at 1:31 am (#)

Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!!
    This week’s Linky Party is up!!!! http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_28.html
    I hope you will stop by an link up another lovely project..
    Claire x

48. Jenny @ The NY Melrose Family posted on April 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm (#)

Riley just recently started eating pb&j. I bet she’d love this. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

49. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on March 5, 2013 at 8:12 am (#)

I can’t believe I’ve never seen this! This is like my dream dessert (as a self proclaimed pb & j-addict) I’m making this this week!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 5th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Summer! I hope you love it. It was gooood. :)

50. Pingback: Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn - Something Swanky

51. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - Peanut Butter and Jelly Desserts

52. Steph Lewis posted on November 28, 2014 at 11:34 am (#)

I literally just made this, and oh my gosh it’s amazing !!!! thanks so much for the recipe !!! : D