Jun 16

Raspberry Tartlets

This week I’m headed to sunny Southern California and the wonderment, joy, and soul-sucking place called Disneyland. We’ve never been in summer and I’m so super excited about going in June (cue sarcasm). But really, we’ve been looking forward to this trip for a very long time and I’m going to try reallllly hard to unplug as much as possible all week. And thanks to a great line-up of bloggers, I’m going to get to do just that!

First up is one of my very best real-life and internet-blog friends, Ashton from Something Swanky. (Actually,  think I can stop saying internet friend in any way related to her – we really are real-life friends.) I can’t even express how much Ashton means to me, and I’m so excited for her to hijack my blog for the day!

Take it away Ashton!

Raspberry Tartlettes | www.crazyforcrust.com

Hi there! Ashton, here. I blog over at Something Swanky Desserts & Designs.

I am so excited to be guest posting here at Crazy for Crust! Dorothy and I go way back. Well, at least “way back” in blogging years. We both started our dessert blogs around the same time and became fast friends. We even started a virtual blog conference together last year, called Online BlogCon.

Dorothy and I had such a fun opportunity to meet in person last Christmas, and she is seriously just as amazing in person as she is on her blog. Sometimes I daydream about life as Dorothy’s next door neighbor (but not in a creepy, stalker way)… I’d be over EVERY day for her peanut butter banana bread. It’s kind of insane, and addicting, and I won’t make banana bread any other way now. Seriously. My husband could vouch.

Raspberry Tartlettes | www.crazyforcrust.com

Anyway. Part of the reason I’m so excited to be guest posting over here is because I’m excited to return a favor!

A couple of years ago, Dorothy guest posted on my blog. She posted a recipe for Mini Fruit Tarts and it has been a staple in my own personal dessert repertoire ever since! It’s always my go-to recipe for bridal and baby showers, because they are so perfect for entertaining. They’re beautiful and and decadent but are super easy to whip up at the same time. Everyone who pops one of these bite-sized treats raves about how delicious they are, and I can’t disagree!

I’m such a sucker for a cream cheese filling, and when it’s paired with a buttery cookie crust and topped with fresh raspberries– I don’t stand a chance!

Since it’s been a couple of years since Dorothy posted this on my blog, I thought it’d be nice to give it a tune up and send it right back to her with a new look. Raspberries are my favorite fruit for this dessert, but if you go back to the original recipe, you’ll see that Dorothy topped hers with strawberries and blueberries too! You could add any type of seasonable fruit to these tartlettes for an extremely impressive dessert!

Raspberry Tartlettes | www.crazyforcrust.com

Raspberry Tartlets

For the Crust:
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup + 2-3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
  • For the Filling:
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Topping:
  • Fresh raspberries
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup
  • 1 tbsp lime juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a mini muffin tin well with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine the powdered sugar, flour, and 3/4 cup butter in a food processor. If necessary, add 2-3 tbsp more of butter 1 tbsp at a time until a firm dough forms (you don't want it to be crumbly, but it shouldn't be sticky either).
  3. Scoop dough by the tablespoon and press into the mini muffin tin.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes. Press the back of a tablespoon into each crust IMMEDIATELY upon removing from the oven. This creates the indentation for the filling. Let cool completely.
  5. Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese, granulated (yes! granulated.) sugar, and the vanilla until smooth. Spoon the cream cheese filling into a ziptop bag.
  6. Once the crusts have cooled and been removed from the pan (I do this by gently pressing down on the edges and twisting, and they come out pretty easily; but you could also tap the bottom of the pan to release more than one at a time), snip the corner of the filling bag and pipe about a tablespoon of filling into each crust.
  7. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and the corn syrup. Top each tartlette with a couple of raspberries, and brush the lime glaze over top. If possible, chill before serving.
  8. The crusts can be filled and chilled ahead of time, but do not top with fruit or glaze until just before serving. Otherwise the juices will "bleed" into the filling. Store covered in the refrigerator.
  9. Serves 24

Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 8.11.02 AM

Ashton blogs all about dessert recipes ranging from fanciful creations to classic comfort food treats at www.somethingswanky.com. She is a work-at-home mom of one, wife, domestic, and currently obsessed with West Wing and all forms of Baked Brie. She lives in fear of her inbox.

Stay connected and follow Ashton here:

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | BlogLovin | Instagram

Thanks Ashton! Today we’re spending the day on I-5 and at the American Girl Store. Happy Father’s Day to my husband! ;) Anyone want to bet how many times Jordan has said “are we there yet”? My guess is 4,321. Have a great Sunday!

Thanks for reading!

42 Responses to “Raspberry Tartlets”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on June 16, 2013 at 3:01 am (#)

Dorothy have fun! It’s beautiful here right now (a little on the chilly side – but sunny!)

Ashton – they look fab. I would love one. Or a few! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The weather was perfect – not too hot. :)

2. Tieghan posted on June 16, 2013 at 5:09 am (#)

Have fun Dorothy! These bars Ashton made look amazing!

3. Michele posted on June 16, 2013 at 6:01 am (#)

Oh my goodness, these sound delightful! Cream cheese and raspberries……yum!

4. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on June 16, 2013 at 6:50 am (#)

Have fun at Disney Dorothy! And Ashton these are beauties! What a perfect summer dessert!

5. Susan posted on June 16, 2013 at 8:03 am (#)

Very summer-ry! Love raspberry desserts and these are a perfect bite, XOXO

6. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on June 16, 2013 at 11:13 am (#)

Love anything raspberry!! these look delicious!

8. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on June 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm (#)

Have fun Dorothy! These look gorgeous and delicious Ashton!

9. Amy posted on June 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm (#)

Have a wonderful trip to Disneyland! We actually went last July, and while we were borderline dehydrated the whole time, we enjoyed Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run 1000x more! And be sure to load up on those FastPasses… They really come in handy!

10. Karissa K. @ Sweet As A Cookie posted on June 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm (#)

Have fun Dorothy!
    These tartlets look amazing Ashton!

11. Beth @ Hungry Happenings posted on June 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm (#)

Have a wonderful vacation. We were at Disneyland at Christmas, and although it was an absolute zoo, we had a blast. Relax, unwind, and scream a little!

12. TiffanyAzure@CremedelaCrumb posted on June 16, 2013 at 3:14 pm (#)

I’ve always been a huge HUGE fan of Disneyland!!! Took me a year to convince the hubby to finally plan a trip to Disneyland, when he finally agreed he ended up LOVING it and we can’t wait to go back. Have so much fun and “see” you when you get back! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Tiffany! I could live there I love it so much. :)

13. Nessa posted on June 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm (#)

These look incredible! What I wouldn’t do for a couple of these right now :)

14. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} LIfe posted on June 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm (#)

These are so easy and pretty! Definitely a summer staple!

15. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on June 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm (#)

Dorothy!! Have so much fun. :) Hi Ashton! Love you two. I’d love to share some of these raspberry tartlets with both of you one day!! Raspberries are my faaaavorite :)

16. Jackie posted on June 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm (#)

yummy! Have a great trip!

17. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on June 17, 2013 at 3:07 am (#)

Adorable! Like, literally cutest tartlets ever.

18. The Better Baker posted on June 17, 2013 at 5:34 am (#)

AAAHHH – you are certainly ‘speaking my language’…anything with cream cheese is tops with me…add a crunchy crust…make it single servings….and top it with my favorite fruit, raspberries. What’s not to love??? Printing and making soon. Thanks to both of you for sharing!!

19. Sarah @ Miss Candiquik posted on June 17, 2013 at 6:01 am (#)

These look like my perfect idea of dessert! Thanks for sharing, Ashton and Dorothy!

20. Dana posted on June 17, 2013 at 7:08 am (#)

these look so good!! I’m in love with raspberries! Enjoy your trip!!

21. Tahnycooks posted on June 17, 2013 at 8:20 am (#)

These tarts look fabulous, I’m a sucker for bite size desserts! You can eat twice as many, right?! Have a great trip!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Yes!! Twice as many for sure. :)

22. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on June 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm (#)

Makes total sense to have Ashton over here, genius that she is! These tartlets look fantastic and I’m pretty sure I would shuffle them all down the hatch in aprox. 30 minutes.

Yum!

23. Heather @ French Press posted on June 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm (#)

Hope you’re having a great time Dorothy, and Ashton, raspberry anything is my fave, and these tartlets look perfect!

24. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on June 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm (#)

So cute and pretty.

Hope you have a fantastic trip!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 23rd, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thanks Meg! It was awesome!

25. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on June 19, 2013 at 5:44 am (#)

I heart both of you so much!!! Ashton, these are gorgeous looking. What a delicious and perfect summer time dessert…ok, they would be perfect any time of the year :-)