Apr 07

Milky Way Brownie Bites

Milky Way Brownie Bites are totally addicting! A Milky Way copy cat is set upon a brownie bite – perfect for your chocolate fix!

Milky-Way-Brownie-Bites

We are planning a trip to Disneyland this summer. We’re super excited, since we haven’t been in awhile. Going in summer is going to be slightly better than having a root canal, but whatever. It’s the happiest place on earth, right?

Even though we aren’t going for just over two months, we’re almost at that magical 60-day mark. You know, the deadline where you have to get up super early and be on the phone to make dining reservations? So that you can pay $35 for a pancake?

Over the next two months I’ll be making grid charts and spreadsheets so that we can maximize our time in each park during the busiest season. I’ll probably make a touring plan for when we get each fastpass and when we’re allowed to pee. And then we’ll get in the park, they’ll roll back the red ribbon and it’ll all go out the window.

I’ll also be spending ample time over at AllEars.net scouring the kid menus for where we can eat. When I was a kid there was a McDonald’s in Fantasyland. Now I have to pack a lunch or plan to be in just the right place at hunger time or my head explodes as I try to find something for my picky child to eat. Did you know that you cannot get a basic, simple grilled cheese sandwich anywhere in the park? You have to go to Downtown Disney for that.

One thing I know I’ll get without any trouble is dessert. I, personally, plan to hit up the candy store, bakery, Carnation, and the ice cream parlor. And that’s just Main St. Come July I’ll be making tons of copycat recipes, methinks.

Speaking of copycat recipes, I’m kind of in love with them right now. I love making my own treats at home that taste like the real thing. I’ve got a few ideas in my head, and today I’m sharing the first of them with you: Milky Way Brownie Bites. These taste like the real thing…but with a brownie on the bottom.

Milky-Way-Brownie-Bites

I love a Milky Way. I don’t buy the bags of mini candy bars because I will eat every single one. So I do the next best thing: I make my own.

{On second thought…maybe that’s not such a good thing? That I can make them at home?}

These brownie bites start with an 8×8 pan of brownies. You can buy brownie pouches that make an 8×8 pan, or you can get a regular sized box and have some batter left over. I made the brownies in an 8×8 pan and the leftovers in a loaf pan. You could also use a muffin tin!

Once the brownies are baked and cooled it’s time to get into the Milky Way action. I found a copycat for the Milky Ways over at Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts. It’s the real deal people! I edited the recipe slightly, to compensate for the brownie layer.

Milky-Way-Brownie-Bites

The nougat is made from chocolate chips, marshmallow fluff, and evaporated milk. That’s topped with a caramel layer made soft and malleable with more evaporated milk. Once the two layers are poured and firmed up on top the brownies, they slice up pretty easily (with the help of some cooking spray on the knife!)

You have two options for the chocolate coating. You can dip them completely in chocolate or drizzle it over the top. Obviously I did the drizzle method. I prefer drizzling to dipping. I would rather wait in line for the Autopia in June with no fastpass than have to dip 30 candies in chocolate. Seriously. But you can do whatever you prefer (I’ve written instructions for both in the recipe).

These are the real deal people – Milky Way candy bars made at home. You must try these!

Milky-Way-Brownie-Bites

Now, excuse me while I go save up my money for a Mickey Mouse Ear hat with my name on it. I’m trying to convince my husband we all need matching hats to wear around the park, but he’s not going for it.

We’ll see about that…

Milky Way Brownie Bites

Yield: About 30 bites

A layer of brownies, a layer of nougat, and a layer of caramel - Milky Way Brownie Bites!

Ingredients:

• 1 box brownie mix (9x13 or 8x8 size, whichever you have) plus oil, eggs, and water called for on the box
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup marshmallow fluff
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons evaporated milk, divided
  • 37 caramels, unwrapped
  • 6-12 ounces chocolate candy melts (like Candiquik)

Directions:

1. Prepare brownie batter according to box directions. You want to bake them in an 8x8” pan. If you are using a family style (9x13” pan) mix, you will have extra batter. You can make the rest in a loaf pan or a muffin tin.
  2. Line your pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Bake and cool brownies completely.
  3. Remove brownies from pan and remove foil. Add new foil to the 8x8” pan and spray sides liberally with cooking spray (the milky way mixture is very sticky!) Add the brownies carefully back into the pan.
  4. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, about 30 seconds on HIGH. Stir to melt. You can microwave in increments of 10 seconds more if needed. Stir fluff and 1 1/2 tablespoons of evaporated milk into the melted chocolate chips. Pour and spread immediately over brownies in pan.
  5. Melt caramels and 2 remaining tablespoons evaporated milk in in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each. Once they are melted and smooth, pour and spread over chocolate/fluff mixture. Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
  6. Once the caramel has firmed up (you should be able to leave a finger indent, but you won’t come away sticky), remove the bars from the pan and carefully remove the foil. Set the brownies on a cutting board.
  7. Spray your knife with cooking spray and cut into squares. You will need to wipe and respray your knife after every two cuts or so.
  8. You have two options for the chocolate covering. One, melt your chocolate melts in a large bowl and dip each square to completely cover. (If you do this method you will likely need the entire amount of chocolate.) Tap to remove excess chocolate and pace on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill to harden.
  9. The other option is what I did, because dipping is tedious and I don’t like doing it. Place squares on a rack set over a cookie sheet. Melt your chocolate (about 1 cup at a time) and spoon a little over the top of each square. Use the back of the spoon to spread it and make it drip down the sides. You will use less chocolate this way. Chill to harden.

Milky Way layer adapted slightly from Dinners, Dishes, & Desserts.

Milky Way Brownie Bites - make your own Milky Way candy bars but add brownies on the bottom!

Other sweets you might like:

Chocolate Fudge with Nutter Butter Crust

chocolate fudge with nutter butter crust

Sugar Cookie Bark

sugar cookie bark 1 words

Nutella Truffles by Roxana’s Home Baking
Smart Ones Double Fudge Cake Copy Cat by Something Swanky
Peanut Butter Caramel Cups by Lemons for Lulu

150 Responses to “Milky Way Brownie Bites”

1. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on April 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

We went to Disney World last summer and my kiddo has been asking when we can go back ever since our return flight home. We paid something like $15 per refillable drinking cup at our hotel, and that was the cheapest part of the trip. It was a blast, though. :-) I’m dying over these Milky Way Brownie Bites – you are a genius!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I wish they had those cups at Disneyland!!! I’d totally get one. :) Thanks Ashley!

2. Lindsey (Lou Lou Biscuit) posted on April 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

You are seriously a genius. These look so good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Lindsey!

• Barbara replied on April 12th, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Reading the recipe and I noticed that you wrote to melt the chocolate chips in 30 minute increments…our new cooks out there may not realize that it’s 30 seconds! These look scrumptious and I will be making them!

3. Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas posted on April 9, 2013 at 6:41 am (#)

Yum!!! These are totally divine, and I want some right now for breakfast!

4. Christy @ My Invisible Crown posted on April 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm (#)

Oh these look so good! I’m having a serious chocolate craving right now so I may just have to make a batch soon.

5. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on April 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm (#)

I’m giving you major points for visiting in the summer! Blah. When I was living in FL, I tried not to go outside much in the summer. I wasn’t cut out for that heat! Spring and fall were much better for me :)

I can’t decide if I’m super smart or super dumb for not making my own homemade candy yet…These are adorable!

6. Abby posted on April 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

Okay. First, please please please share some of your spreadsheets and charts regarding DisneyWorld. Unless you were joking….in which case, maybe I really am the only one who enjoys things like that. Second, my husband LOVES Milky Ways. Why wouldn’t he? I think these are the perfect thing to make come Father’s Day/birthday/anniversary time in mid-June. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 10th, 2013 at 6:30 am

Thanks Abby! Oh, I’m serious all right. I need to get on it…but it’s Disneyland. I wish it was World!

7. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm (#)

If my husband sees these you can bet I’m making them first thing in the morning. Milky way it’s his favorite candy!

8. Brooks posted on April 10, 2013 at 7:25 am (#)

Dorothy, I’d bet these scrumptious bites are better than the original. Terrific work and they come together easily too! Enjoy the visit to Disneyland this summer.

9. Michelle posted on April 10, 2013 at 9:15 am (#)

I am officially speechless…and hungry!

10. Pingback: Milky Way Brownie Bites - Sweet N Sour Deals

11. Christi posted on April 10, 2013 at 11:03 am (#)

Oh my goodness, chocolate lover’s dream! These look amazing, can’t wait to try them out. Thanks for sharing!

12. Shannon @ Searching For Dessert posted on April 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm (#)

I LOVE Milky Ways and I’m so excited that this recipe uses fluff instead of actual marshmallows (no gelatin). I will be making these very soon! Thanks for sharing :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 10th, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I never realized that about marshmallows vs. fluff. Good to know!

13. Sheila posted on April 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm (#)

I will definitely have to make these, they are right up my alley! Heaven in a bite!

14. DesignedByBH posted on April 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm (#)

Oh, wow…pretty sure I don’t need to say anything else! 😉

15. YinMom YangMom Allie posted on April 12, 2013 at 9:40 am (#)

First off: Those brownies look insanely delicious! Milky Way is one of my favorite candies and brownies…! I would devour the entire pan!

Second: AAACK! We’ll be on our first trip to Disney in less than a month and we don’t have any dinner reservations! I didn’t know it’d be so complicated! Spread sheets and grid charts? Scheduled pee breaks??? Yikes, I think we are in for a rude awakening!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 14th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I think it’s more fun if you throw caution to the wind. I’m not like that though, I’d have an aneurism. 😉

16. Barbara posted on April 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm (#)

I am absolutely going to be making these but in reading the recipe, you wrote to melt the chocolate chips for 30 minutes and I am thinking of all those new cooks out there who might actually do this in following the recipe! Thank you for a great recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 14th, 2013 at 8:15 am

OMG thank you. Stupid typos. 😉

17. Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik posted on April 16, 2013 at 6:14 am (#)

omg – I’m drooling over these. Somehow I missed these and just now came across them! Sharing! Thanks :)

18. Pingback: Link Party 122 Features

19. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on April 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm (#)

You’re making me SO JEALOUS with all the Disneyland talk!! We are trying so hard to wait until our Cars-obsessed 3 yr old is tall enough for Racers but it is KILLING me. I’m with you on the schedules and pee-breaks 😉 I love all the planning and obsessing that goes into it. (< I realize this makes me sound like a psycho.) Do you ever check out the DIS forums?

Also, these brownie bites are one of the cutest things I've ever seen on your blog, and you have lots of great stuff! Love them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 18th, 2013 at 8:03 am

NO! What are the forums? I need to find my way onto those. Thanks so much Katie!

• Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate replied on April 18th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Ohhhh girl. You are not going to thank me for this..

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26 (I believe that is the Disneyland one- but if not, just scroll until you see the Disneyland section.)

I LOVE these forums. I could waste hours reading all the threads. They give really wonderful information and your will be surrounded by fellow planning freaks 😉

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 18th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you!!

20. Tracey posted on April 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm (#)

My mouth is watering as I read…and I mean literally :) There are so many delicious recipes on your blog…LOVE! I’m going to go buy the rest of ingredients (that I don’t have) so I can whip up a batch this afternoon. Also, crazy question, but what font do you use for the titles of the recipes? I love it! I just want to get it for my own personal use…no blogging here. I leave that to you awesome people. Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 20th, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you!! I hope you love them! I use Picmonkey.com for most of my stuff. They have all sorts of cool fonts! I know those were from there. Those two are Luckiest Guy and Sacramento.

21. Pingback: Milky Way Brownie Bites Tuck Hahn for Crust - Where Home Starts

22. Pingback: Brownie Cookie S'mores - Crazy for Crust

23. Pingback: Fudgey Chocolate Chunk Brownies - Something Swanky

24. Pingback: Butterscotch Squares copycat recipe {Amazon giveaway} - Crazy for Crust

25. Pingback: My 15 favorite recipes of 2013 - Crazy for Crust

26. Pingback: DIY Copy Cat Candy Recipes

27. Erica posted on October 11, 2014 at 6:44 pm (#)

These brownies look amazing!  I’m a pregnant chocoholic, and my husband’s favorite candybar is Milky Way….so I will definitely be making these! :)
    I’m wondering why you don’t do the top chocolate coating as a whole layer before cutting them into bars. It does make them more like candy bars if they are coated after cutting, but it seems like it would be so much easier to just make another layer.  Maybe they are super gooey and the coating holds it all together if it’s coated after cutting?
    Should they be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator?
    Thanks for the recipe…can’t wait to make them!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:35 am

You can definitely do that Erica! You’ll want to mix the chocolate with a little cream (not too much) or it will crack when you cut them, but you can for sure just pour it on to make your life easier. I think when I made these I’d planned to dip the whole thing in chocolate like an actual candy bar…but got bored, ha! You can store them either place, it just depends on how warm/cold your house is!

• Erica replied on November 15th, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I finally made these….and they are so good!! And so rich!
        I didn’t do just a layer of chocolate on the top before cutting. I was feeling ambitious and wanted to try dipping them all. That lasted all of ONE brownie. Then I switched to your method of coating the tops of them while they sit on a cooling rack….much easier and faster!
        You know what I used to cut the brownies? A pizza cutter! It worked great! I still had to spray it after every two rows cut, but it was easy to cut that way.
        I used a 9×13 size mix and baked in two separate pans like you suggested. That works fine. But next time I think I will just do the full 9×13. I had about 1/2 cup of marshmallow creme leftover, and I hate to waste stuff….so I think next time I’ll use the full container and just spread it over a 9×13. I think there were only 3 caramels left from a bag of Kraft caramels. Maybe I’ll just use all of them next time and spread it out that thin over a 9×13. Then just do a layer of chocolate on top without cutting it into bars first. We’ll see how it goes.
        Thanks for your yummy recipe!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 16th, 2014 at 8:22 am

I love that you used a pizza cutter! And the dipping – yes. I was going to dip them all. And after one I was all NO WAY. :) I’m glad you enjoyed them!

28. danielle posted on November 8, 2014 at 4:20 pm (#)

Soooo yummmy!!!! Do they freeze well?

29. Pingback: DIY Copycat Candy Recipes | Cynthia Banessa

30. Marilyn posted on June 15, 2015 at 6:20 pm (#)

Shut up!
    I love love LOVE milky way. oooh, you’re killin’ me with these brownie bites. They look rediculously yummy. Great job ☆